• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Mai's boobs is off the limits, what makes you think Mortal Kombat will be able to go off the hook?
To be fair snake has rocket launchers and bayonetta has guns and swords. They can turn down the violence. However is that what mortal kombat fans want? I remember people being very critical of mortal kombat vs. DC Universe
Sakurai is obviously much more interested in the Japanese side of the industry. I mean, Terry Bogard is really not that famous and there's no way he should be in before the likes of Lara Croft, Crash Bandicoot, Vault Boy, Master Chief, etc.

Terry Bogard is great.
seems fair to say that MK has a better history of Nintendo console support than any other fighting game series

unfortunately
This is true. MK 11 was available day one

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta was nerfed to no end for her to be able to fit in Smash, nudity is gone, blood effects on enemies are gone, swearing is gone, only the sext poses are left. It helps that non of those are integral to het character however for her to work, that is the case with Mortal Kombat characters. What's the point if you can't rip out a heart, spinal cord or crush one's head?

OP
OP
YolkFolk

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Ah yes, I can't wait to play as extremely-gory-and-violent scorpion who would drag his blood soaked association to smash! Extremely worthy of smash indeed!

I didn't know Bayonetta/DOOM involved decapitation/tearing off body parts while their extremely human victim screams to death. Also its not about toning down MK, the sheer association of MK is definitely not a good fit for smash (before you say Bayo/MG exists, show me a video where the gore is on the same level first).

Again, I refer to the SNES version of Mortal Kombat.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
seems fair to say that MK has a better history of Nintendo console support than any other fighting game series

unfortunately

Lol yeah so many more MK games on nintendo devices than even SF I wanna say... Too bad sakurai is just too focused on the Japanese scene

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The SNES MK is a game released in 1993.
No one remembers that game. When people mention MK, everyone thinks of the super violent recent games, like MK9 to MK11.
It would feel unnatural to use a MK character and not see at least some blood.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You decapitate demons, cut of limbs, put them into iron maidens etc.

well...let's just say that if you do a playthrough of bayo 1 & 2 and try to upload to youtube without any edits and monetize it, youtube will not have any problem.

Try do the same with MK11 with all the fatalities without any edits and upload to youtube and enable monetization....youtube will like to have a word with you (because of the violence).

2 different type of violence, my man

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
People really need to replay the Bayonetta games if they think those games aren't gory. It's not a good argument for the inclusion of MK characters in Smash, since it doesn't define Bayo's identity, but it is there.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
picard.png

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to replay the Bayonetta games if they think those games aren't gory. It's not a good argument for the inclusion of MK characters in Smash, since it doesn't define Bayo's identity, but it is there.

There's levels. Bayonetta isn't ripping out human intestines and crushing testicles to the point where it gave their devs health issues because they wanted it to look like real anatomy

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
There's levels. Bayonetta isn't ripping out human intestines and crushing testicles to the point where it gave their devs health issues because they wanted it to look like real anatomy
Sure, I'm not arguing that. Just that saying 'Bayonetta isn't gory' is a pretty silly statement that doesn't reflect reality.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Because it would basically be necessary to put fatalities in and that would both fuck the age rating and be a stupid amount of work because I doubt all the other characters are rigged such that the same animations can be applied to all of them for those fatalities, even among the ones which are humanoids.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Doesn't matter, the point is that MK's gory association should be sufficient to draw links to that. A toned down scorpion is still going to draw links to its history (hint: there's probably a reason why MK doesn't do many crossovers other than horror movies/Warner Bros related media. Nobody wants to be associated with it).
It's iconic and a fun game to be sure! But not everything has to fit to smash.

I've seen both, and the titillating scenes are arguably more questionable than exploding enemy goons. Neither of which compares to what MK does on a daily basis (especially when every character has their own way of doing it).

OP
OP
YolkFolk

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Doesn't matter, the point is that MK's gory association should be sufficient to draw links to that. A toned down scorpion is still going to draw links to its history (hint: there's probably a reason why MK doesn't do many crossovers other than horror movies/Warner Bros related media. Nobody wants to be associated with it).
It's iconic and a fun game to be sure! But not everything has to fit to smash.

I've seen both, and the titillating scenes are arguably more questionable than exploding enemy goons. Neither of which compares to what MK does on a daily basis (especially when every character has their own way of doing it).

Bayonetta even includes swearing, never mind violence on its own.You can then beat up Peach with Bayonetta and shoot her in the head with your bullets.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
That's why I said the gore in Bayo is not as intrinsic to the game/character compared to the gore in MK.

Bayonetta even includes swearing, never mind violence on its own.You can then beat up Peach with Bayonetta and shoot her in the head with your bullets.
You keep repeating this point as if Bayonetta is literally executing Smash characters point-blank, when you know for a fact that's not how they work.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be stubborn in saying this, but I believe enough of the people ITT has played Mortal Kombat vs DC to know you cannot do a Mortal Kombat character justice without gratuitous amounts of blood and gore. It just don't work like that.

OP
OP
YolkFolk

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
That's why I said the gore in Bayo is not as intrinsic to the game/character compared to the gore in MK.

You keep repeating this point as if Bayonetta is literally executing Smash characters point-blank, when you know for a fact that's not how they work.

Sub Zero can easily work without executing someone.

Final Smash would just be him freezing someone and then doing a huge uppercut sending the opponent flying in an exploding ball of ice.

The SNES version of MK was full of toned down fatalities.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I think TC completely missed the point, but ok I guess?

Yea, makes sense. Bayo's violence never seemed particularly gratuitous, it was just...there.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I can, because the game is rated E for everyone.

Mortal Kombat characters have been toned down before, Sub Zero could easily be adapted for smash without much compromise due to his ice based moves, you can make a respectful Sub Zero without blood and gore.

His final smash could be based his OG SNES fatality with the ice shattering and it wouldn't have to be any more violent than other execution final smashes already in the game.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Sub Zero can easily work without executing someone.

Final Smash would just be him freezing someone and then doing a huge uppercut sending the opponent flying in an exploding ball of ice.

The SNES version of MK was full of toned down fatalities.
Genuine question, since I'm just vaguely familiar with the newer MK trilogy: how important is Sub-Zero, plot-wise? From an outsider's perspective, he doesn't seem to be as popular or central to the franchise as he used to be.

And as others have said, the SNES version of MK doesn't support the inclusion of an MK character, going by the legacy of that game.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will gladly take Scorpion in Smash.
Side B get over here! N B flames etc
But tbh they wouldn't be able to properly include all the series elements like fatality and idk how well it would fit.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you not understand what kind of company Nintendo is and the demographic they're targetting with Smash? Have you played recent MK games?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, since I'm just vaguely familiar with the newer MK trilogy: how important is Sub-Zero, plot-wise? From an outsider's perspective, he doesn't seem to be as popular or central to the franchise as he used to be.

And as others have said, the SNES version of MK doesn't support the inclusion of an MK character, going by the legacy of that game.

Sub Zero is still important as hell to the plot.

His ninja clan is central to many of the elements of the lore, such as why cyborg ninjas exists. The original Sub Zero was turned into noob saibot, the current Sub Zero patched things up with Scorpion, Frost has a huge role in the story of MK11, etc.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just put Scorpion in there. His spear is no different than Link's hookshot. Get some fire breathing and his teleport punch in there and you're fine. No need to adjust the age rating.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Sub Zero is still important as hell to the plot.

His ninja clan is central to many of the elements of the lore, such as why cyborg ninjas exists. The original Sub Zero was turned into noob saibot, the current Sub Zero patched things up with Scorpion, Frost has a huge role in the story of MK11, etc.
Who would you say is above him in terms of relevance? Raiden, Scorpion, Johnny Kage, Sonya...?

Also, keep I'm mind I'm just asking about the NetherRealm trilogy. Part of what you mention is from the original games.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
While there are a few exceptions, I think generally the characters in Smash all kind of fit in together in a way that Scorpion, Master Chief, and Doom Guy don't. I'm more surprised by the people who don't see that than the fact that MK doesn't have smash representation.

Jan 2, 2018
What's the point of adding a Mortal Kombat character if they have to really tone down the violence that is a core element of the series?
That's the reason I really hope they don't add the Doom Slayer to Smash. All or nothing I say.

Add Lara Croft or Crash Bandicoot instead, they are also important and recognizable, but fit way better.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Neither Bayonetta or Doom have you murdering humans with realistic viscera. Its not comparable.
You are understating it. MK is not realistic, it is extreme. WhIle some games have violence and gore well below the real world and other games try to make it somewhat realistic, MK goes way beyond and has actual sadistic mutilation.

The OP keeps comparing cartoon violence with no blood and gore to the sadistic violence in MK.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Everyone's arguing about violence when the real issue is that Mortal Kombat doesn't exist in Japan.

Obviously Mother 3 and Binding Blade are regional exclusives too, but Sakurai has since expressed regret on that (not to mention Roy was a clone made out of convenience to pad the rushed Melee's small roster and Lucas was designed before it was known that Mother 3 wouldn't be localized) and I'd be surprised if another came out.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You are understating it. MK is not realistic, it is extreme. Which some games have violence and gore well below the real world and other games try to make it somewhat realistic, MK goes way beyond and has actual sadistic mutilation.

The OP keeps comparing cartoon bullets with no blood and gore to the sadistic violence in MK.

You're misreading that. The viscera is hyper realistic, the violence itself is over the top and campy.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most important thing stopping a Mortal Kombat character from being in Smash is that the games literally don't get released in Japan. If we were going to get another Western rep it would be from a game series that is available in Japan, like Crash, Halo or Doom.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Mortal Kombat?

Meanwhile us Koei Tecmo fans still waiting for our fighter are like...

giphy.gif

Its a damn crime considering i dont think any 3rd party has supported the Switch better than KT.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a series whose popularity specifically excludes Japan and whose historic significance is essentially irrelevant outside North America. It's also a series whose defining elements cannot be properly represented in Smash without changing the age rating.

I can't imagine that anyone at Nintendo is exactly frothing at the chance.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's a series whose popularity specifically excludes Japan and whose historic significance is essentially irrelevant outside the US. It's also a series whose defining elements cannot be properly represented in Smash without changing the age rating.

I can't imagine that anyone at Nintendo is exactly frothing at the chance.

How popular is GTA over there? :)
If you're gonna go for the legacy western IP that was controversial there's bigger fish

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You can't believe a game that revolves around ripping out people's spinal cord is not in a family friendly brawler?

It makes sense why characters that represent that are not there.

I lived through Nintendo and their bs "sweat" in MK1 Fun times.

Oct 25, 2017
How popular is GTA over there? :)

I don't know why we're using GTA as an example, since it's also not getting into Smash anytime soon, but GTA III defined what was essentially a new genre. It's also a series who defining elements can, more or less, be translated to Smash faithfully.

Mortal Kombat's historic impact was the ESRB rating system, and it's defined by blood and gore.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Sub-Zero and Scorpion could both be easily inplemented. Just have to use the Injustice games as the base for their "gore" and everything becomes PG-13 at worst.