• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Send it back to the store since you seem extremely unsure about buying one in the first place, don't seem to have had a reason to buy one since you don't even know what to play on it, and appear to buy things that you don't even like!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm traveling more than before, plus I still like the idea of laying down and playing games. And I have enough money put away, I'm actually quite frugal and sometimes wonder if I should be spending more money having fun.
Hmm...then what are you open to playing? That's the question because, outside of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Dark Souls Remastered, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, there isn't much else left for you, unless you're also gonna get into the indie scene, which admittedly I'm not sure I can think of many strong narrative focused games for, save for VA11-HALL-A or something

Hey, I can get that. I usually don't spend too much myself so, every once in a while, I like to spend a bit having fun

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Congrats on the refund. Wish I could do the same. Playing scores of average at best Mario levels isnt very fun.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild is beyond essential. I don't own a Switch but even the Wii U version is magnificent.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Send it back to the store since you seem extremely unsure about buying one in the first place, don't seem to have had a reason to buy one since you don't even know what to play on it, and appear to buy things that you don't even like!

Sure, let me text the dude who sold it to me outside a restaurant and ask for my cash back. I'll just sell it on craigslist if I can't be bothered with it.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want Xenoblade 2 but don't want to pay full price you can buy Torna? It's standalone and half the price. Also, Fire Emblem comes out in a couple weeks and previews sound pretty great.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're like me you sadly leave it in a box in a closet because after BoTW it's mostly indies and those tend to be better on PC anyhow.

Let me amend that. Mario VS Rabbids is great fun if you enjoy tactics games.
Yea if you ignore the other 10 games Nintendo released after botw and future ones coming

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Buy BotW if you want to play a game - best game on the system, and I go back to it regularly ($50 on Amazon)
Mario Kart is one of the best in the series
Mario + Rabbids is incredible fun for strategy fan
Smash Bros and Splatoon are great online fun
Octopath Traveler was a good diversion for JRPG, but wait for a sale
Xenoblade 2 was excellent, and a good starting point
FFVII, and FFIX are a must if you are into nostalgia, and like JRPG's
FFX or FFXII - both are $35 at Amazon right now, and are fantastic ports

Download some demos like DQ Builders 2 and see if they interest you

In two weeks, Fire Emblem is out, which is all I personally will play for the next month or so ...

In a few months, Astral Chain, DQXI, and Link's Awakening will be out as well, and later this Fall Pokemon as well

As far as Indies, there are numerous games that play well on the system, and they are frequently on sale

Last edited:

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Two games I'm seeing on the front page that are absolutely worth your time and money (and are a little cheaper than Nintendo FP) are Valkyria Chronicles 4 and The World Ends With You (at least that's my read if you are at all into xenoblade chronicles). The World Ends With You's Switch port comes with some serious caveats, but is still great. Valkyria Chronicles 4 is just great straight-up.

Also you should get Fire Emblem ASAP

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
BotW is still the greatest game of all time. Don't over think it. Splatoon has the best shooter gameplay on the market, just get ready for wierd Nintendo online limitations. Final splat fest is next weekend and it will be a doozy. Mario Odyssey is a 7.5. it has some great moments, but you're constantly being held back by capture and 2D moments. I say skip it. Mario Kart 8D is probably the reigning king of kart racers. Labo is worth checking out, especially if you can find it on discount. Octopath is trash. Mario v Rabbids is probably the best strategy game on the system, unless you like dating simulators. I hear the Civ6 port is decent. There's another 500 hour game if you like 4X.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018
Grab yourself Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo, fall in love, buy full game.

My key to success with the Switch is to play games I usually wouldn't bother with. It has rekindled my passion for gaming, that's for sure.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP in the linked post and came away wondering what you DO like.

Not snark, just for purposes of making recommendations. Seems like a bad buy really.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BotW is still the greatest game of all time. Don't over think it. Splatoon has the best shooter gameplay on the market, just get ready for wierd Nintendo online limitations. Final splat fest is next weekend and it will be a doozy. Mario Odyssey is a 7.5. it has some great moments, but you're constantly being held back by capture and 2D moments. I say skip it. Mario Kart 8D is probably the reigning king of kart racers. Labo is worth checking out, especially if you can find it on discount. Octopath is trash. Mario v Rabbids is probably the best strategy game on the system, unless you like dating simulators. I hear the Civ6 port is decent. There's another 500 hour game if you like 4X.

Just want to say that you have great taste. And I agree with your Odyssey assessment, it's really held back by the capture mechanic which is such a shame.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
With regard to game prices: If you are willing to buy physical games and resell them later on, you can recoup (most of) the high software prices. I bought a Switch with Mario Kart, Zelda BotW and Mario Odyssey for less than 400€ in total - all brand new, but I waited for sales. About 18 months later, I sold everything for 375€. Taking ebay fees into account, I received over 80% of what I originally paid which is worth the hassle IMO.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
BotW at full price is worth it IMO.

Some ports that are great on Switch if you haven't played them elsewhere are FFXII:TZA, Katamari Damacy REROLL, Bayonetta 2, and a fun cheap game you can beat in an hour, Mom Hid My Game!

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You already said you have no love for Nintendo IPs. Make the Switch your indie machine. They go on sale often and almost every indie game feels better on a handheld. Games like Darkest Dungeon, Celeste, Cuphead, Hollow Knight, etc.
Seconded. Make it a full-on Vita.

... Is Dustforce on Switch by the way?

Edit: I'm watching this thread because I'll get a Switch soon and care the most about narrative in a game OP.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Besides BOTW you should check out:

Steamworld Dig
Steamworld Dig 2
Snakepass
Hollow Knight

They all plays great on the Switch.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
A safe bet is purchasing Super Mario Odyssey.

Warframe is also a good choice for the low price of free (with microtransactions). But it needs to be installed in a microSD card since it exceeds the system's internal storage.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
There are a lot of good experiences on the Switch. KUSO (plateforming) and Horizon Chase Turbo (racing) are two beginner-friendly games I would recommend anyone who just purchased a Switch. They aren't particularly good games in their respective genres but they are easy to pick up, cheap and enjoyable.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
eShop sales happen very frequently, last time I bought Hollow Knight for 50% off. Pretty sweet deal!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who dislikes narrative heavy games the switch is pretty good

I'd recommend you get into them, or else return the switch lmao doubt you'll like xenoblade 2 and it's unbashaly sexist designs

Anyway get Mario Odyssey, hollow Knight ( game is like $7), all the Wii u ports you missed

Last edited:

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Never buy anything digital. You can resell a retail game for almost full price if you don´t like it.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Minecraft on the go or playing in bed is pretty neat.

Does the Switch have any other apps besides YouTube and Hulu that are must-haves or at least pretty good?

Oct 28, 2017
First things first:
tenor.gif

Now, Nintendo does definitely put their own stuff on sale from time to time. Just yesterday I was browsing the EU eShop and saw Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion for 60 bucks. The sales aren't mindblowing but they're there.

As for game recommendations I can definitely recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if you want a huge, spawling JRPG to sink your teeth into. (The prequel expansion is great as well).
Bayonetta 1+2 are a great deal as well if you haven't played them before and like these type of action games.
I love that this gif lives. Vita's spirit lives on.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Check you My Nintendo page for those sweet, sweet phone wallpapers.

Switch is now your indie machine. You can't go back.

Nintendo's output has been great and it's only going to get better this year. Recommendations:
Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Mario + Rabbids
ARMS

Other titles I haven't played like Captain Toad and Xenoblade are also commonly recommended. The latter half of this year looks bonkers, and even next week Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 could be a big hitter.

There's a ton of old ass games on the system that you may have missed. Ever play Okami? Tales of Vesperia? Disgaea? Bayonetta 2? Dozens of SNK arcade games? They're all here!

Switch is definitely on the fast track for my favorite console of all time. Literally too many games. JUST TOO MANY.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I wish I had money to throw around to make stupid, uninformed purchases and then make an OP to bitch about my stupid, uninformed purchases.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a Nintendo published game. Get used to paying full price regardless of how old it is
BS. There is a Summer Sale going on right now in Europe with 33% off for first party games and up to 70% for third party games. Only thing people have to get used to is the fact that Nintendo's own games won't get more than 33% off.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Even though you aren't a fan of turn based combat buy Fire Emblem Three Houses.

It perfectly fits your narrative driven tastes.

Since you enjoy Dark Souls a lot and part of the appeal of Dark Souls is figuring out the world's story then you should also buy Hollowknight if you still haven't played that yet.

If you never played Bastion as well get that too.

Also get Celeste. You don't have too many options.

The recommendations to play Warframe I also endorse.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to the ones you've already mentioned:
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Assault Android Cactus
Cadence of Hyrule
Mario+Rabbids+Donkey Kong Expansion
Sega Ages Virtua Racing
Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion
Tetris 99