• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
I even created a thread praising the Switch Lite.

www.resetera.com

The Switch Lite is an extremely good portable console

I have a regular Switch. I truly like the console and I use it mainly in undocked mode (around 70% undocked and 30% docked). I never had any real complains about using it as a portable device (well, maybe the ergonomics are not very good for prolonged use, but I use a Skull & Co grip and haven't...

But I think she is playing a lot. She is not playing with her toys for example. She is about turn 5 in a few months. Sure, she is doing her homework and helping when with some chores (she has autism and speech delay problems), but I'm afraid that having her own system is going to affect her development progress.

I think the Switch Lite is going to be returned, and if she want to play, she can play on my Switch with supervision.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like returning it is a good idea if you feel like it's getting in the way.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can limit the amount of time she spends on it through the PC:

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you just supervise her while she plays her Switch Life? Why would you return it and make her sad?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like thats a parenting decision that's up to you. Don't forget though, she's 4 and you're her parent. You're the one that dictates how much she gets to use it. Can you not limit use to 30 minutes or an hour a day?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, limiting the time seems like the better idea to me, also keeps your Switch free if you want to both play at the same time.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I know I can limit the time she plays with parental controls, but with her situation, she won't understand why her Switch gets blocked.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
use parental app as multiple say. Also gaming can be positive for development of the brain try look into that as well

edit: just saw your explanation about she doesn't understand the lock. If you use the lock for a longer period of time she will get used to the lock as it is a constant factor

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The parental controls honestly kind of suck. But she's 4, just do physical parental controls with the device itself.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't get parents like this. It's a new toy, she's enjoying it because it's new and everyone's stuck in the house. If she's still doing homework and other mandatory activities, then let her spend free time however she wants. I'm so happy my parents were never this controlling. Spent hours upon hours playing on the GameCube and GBA and I still had other interests and hobbies and a social life.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
Someone mentioned not returning it because it would crush her poor heart. Just set up the parental app to limit her play time. Wish you the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I don't get parents like this. It's a new toy, she's enjoying it because it's new and everyone's stuck in the house. If she's still doing homework and other mandatory activities, then let her spend free time however she wants. I'm so happy my parents were never this controlling. Spent hours upon hours playing on the GameCube and GBA and I still had other interests and hobbies and a social life.

Seriously. I know so many people who would kill for anything to make their kids chill the fuck out and focus on something other than pestering their parents right now.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
How recently did you get it? Her interest could wane over time, I wouldn't be super concerned if it's still pretty new.

I think looking into the parental controls is a good option as well.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility
It sounds like you're failing as a parent and blaming the Switch Lite instead. Before giving to her you should have a conversation and established rules. Furthermore, Nintendo has since day-one Parent Controls as an app. An electronic device, even more a gaming-focused one will make kids overblown their attention and make their spend less and less time with "analogic" toys. You making the one-sided decision of returning the Switch will make more harm than good and even make her sad(And probably be a little rebellious against you).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Agreed tbh.

Some of my best childhood memories are related to games (alone, with family, friends...)

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I know I can limit the time she plays with parental controls, but with her situation, she won't understand why her Switch gets blocked.

It really doesn't need much explanation. It can simply be "too much video game time is not good for you. I limit my own time as well" or something along those lines.

Extremes either way aren't good imo. Video games are arguably good for development in certain ways, depending on the game.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
It sounds like you're failing as a parent and blaming the Switch Lite instead. Before giving to her you should have a conversation and established rules. Furthermore, Nintendo has since day-one Parent Controls as an app. An electronic device, even more a gaming-focused one will make kids overblown their attention and make their spend less and less time with "analogic" toys. You making the one-sided decision of returning the Switch will make more harm than good and even make her sad(And probably be a little rebellious against you).

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
ITT: everyone ignoring her autism.

Just like real life! I'm sorry, OP, it's not an easy situation.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This could be a good teaching moment. You should try to explain to her why playing all the time isn't healthy for her.

I mean most kids are stuck at home right now and she just received a cool.new present. Her not being that invested would be more weird than anything else.

Better to have her learn how to consume media and games at home instead of just taking it away without a explanation.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Seriously. I know so many people who would kill for anything to make their kids chill the fuck out and focus on something other than pestering their parents right now.
I understand what you guys are saying. I mean, I'm on a gaming forum most of the time.

I'm worried because she has autism and I don't know is she is going to be affected or not. That's it.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I think it will be tough at first because a new fancy gadget is always exciting, but I'd say it's better to enforce a certain time when it's okay to be playing and explain to her as best as you can why it can't be so much time. Of course you're free to return it as a parent,and you are the one who sees how it affects her first hand to make that call if you think that's best. But I personally think that might be worse. I also don't really see how her playing your switch under supervision is any different from her only playing the switch lite under your supervision.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Unless her playing is cutting into other important activities, just let her be?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Idk, man. I'm not a parent. Do you have access to a child development psychologist specializing in with autistic kids you can get advice from?

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Just let her play, I don't see a problem. I spent hours with my N64 when I was 5 and I barely went outside and it's one of my best childhood memories. Never affected me except for my eyesight but with smartphones, this will happen sooner or later.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this already been answered....what kind of games is she playing on the system anyway ?

And how long does she play per day ? Would you have an issue with it if she spent the same per day with any other toy ?