• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can Alyx do it?

• Yes, I think it's possible.

Votes: 210 11.3%
  • This user is delusional take him to the infirmary.

Votes: 1,646 88.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
JE1dTUR.png

It is time my friend.

k7MRfdK.png
You went to all this effort just for me? You're going to make me blush, Stalker.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It failed.

And also a lot of people I see on Twitter seem to basically like it but they aren't truly blown away either. It looks like an excellent game but not the kind of truly boundary-breaking experience HL2 was.

The fact that you can't break wooden boards with the crowbar is the first cue it misses.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It failed.

And also a lot of people I see on Twitter seem to basically like it but they aren't truly blown away either. It looks like an excellent game but not the kind of truly boundary-breaking experience HL2 was.

The fact that you can't break wooden boards with the crowbar is the first cue it misses.
You can in Boneworks. ;)

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
This is so weird, because it's one of those games I know I'll love *somewhere* down the line but I really don't want to invest in VR until it's really ironed out its motion sickness.

So glad the franchise is back though and glad it's reviewing well. I think VR is a little too subjective for any experience to review flawlessly but I assumed it would be a Tetris Effect style game if one did.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This never had a chance of happening.

It was a very slim chance, but one thing that did happen is a small number of reviews, which I saw as a pre-requisite for a super high score. And I did not read any review, but if they do mention something like "This is what VR is about" or "This is the future" then it was another point that came to be. It was just not (nearly) enough.

At least other 1,611 people were right

i'll give you a ride to the infirmary

Only if I start having problem breathing. Until then I stay at home. But gratitude for the offer!

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It failed.

Wait, you can't break wooden boards with the crowbar? Well, now this explains why I was wrong.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I'm prepared for Alyx to review amazingly well because it's a really good video game (absolutely expect it to be top tier stuff) but, as someone who's been using VR literally since the Oculus DK1 development kit, I think you're overselling it as 'the very first AAA VR game' and 'this is the first time I'm experience this and it's fantastic beyond the game'.

Been playing a lot of highly reviewed AAA games in VR where you reload a gun with your hands and pull levers and stuff. Again, that's not aimed at being disparaging, but I think this will only be 'future stuff' if you've literally never used PCVR before. We'll see. I haven't played it yet so maybe it's full of revolutionary stuff for the genre. Hope so!

Beyond that I expect it to be a very highly rated VR game, maybe the highest rated VR game yet. But mainly because I think Valve know how to make a great Half-Life game, not because I think it's gonna be a revolutionary, 'future' game. And that's probably a good thing?

It isn't revolutionary, but it is taking all the hard work and lessons learned from other VR projects and giving them a Valve quality production to coalesce in. It's probably the most polished VR game I've played that's also this complex.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Honestly it wasn't a bad guess

1. Valve comeback
2. Valve always produce high quality
3. Potential revolutionary factor given that its VR
4. Half Life hype

But at the end of the day, I went with my heart in the prediction thread and went with 92, which, as it happens, was right in the money.

If we get a 98+ game, it's coming from Nintendo imo, they always do.