• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can Alyx do it?

• Yes, I think it's possible.

Votes: 210 11.3%
  • This user is delusional take him to the infirmary.

Votes: 1,646 88.7%

• Total voters

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
It's code for "I can't afford it therefore I don't like it". If it makes people sleep better at night, more power to them. Everybody needs all the mental help they can get in this crisis.
Ironically VR is probably the single best product for mental health right now. It's counter-intuitive to bash it, and reminds me of all the disabled people I see trash VR that would actually have their lives transformed for the better with the tech, maybe even cured outright. (And I'm sure someone with no knowledge will pop in to tell me how that's all snakeoil just like the last time I mentioned it on Era)

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus can't we just be happy we're getting a new Half Life title without degrading the discussion to VR hate or putting the weight of all of gaming history on it?.
I bought it as soon as they announced it, the only thing I'm expecting is getting a new Valve game in the HL universe, I would have felt and done the same if they decided to release it as a Wii title.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
There is a strong chance HL Alyx will be the best critical acclaimed VR game ever.
But that's a relatively low barrier task since the most critically acclaimed games created around the VR medium range between 88-90 (Lone Echo, Asgard Wrath, Astro Bot), with Beat Saber (PC) sitting at 93 but with just 6 reviews (Beat Saber for PSVR has more than 20 review and is sitting at 86).

Some people really want a pancake (non-VR) version.
Which is stupid because Alyx is a game designed from the ground up around the VR medium's features.

Personally I think Alyx will utilize very well the VR potential and being part of a franchise with high pedigree like Half Life it will improve the spotlight on VR devices but at the same time it won't represent a revolution that redefine gaming.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I do believe it has a real chance to be incredibly highly rated, yes. I have a feeling Valve and VR will surprise a lot of people in this thread.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I think it has a chance to be high rated because it will be the first real VR game for a lot of outlets / people and the first VR moments are often magical.
But I think it will be rated in the high 80s, because it will not revolutionize VR.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be the best game ever released, but a handful of VR haters will inevitably drag the score down.

Oct 27, 2017
I expect it to have a high score, but I don't think it'll be game of the generation or anything. For one thing, most gamers won't even play it, so it's hard to be viewed as GOTG when so very few people will get to play the game. Yeah, I know there's dozens of vr gamers, but until this thing becomes mainstream -maybe with PS5VR and a port of the game?- HL Alyx won't get the full credit for its innovations, sadly.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...its made by the people who developed nothing but Artifact and a storefront for a long ass time.

Why do people realize studios change with studios like Bioware, but with Valve appearently everxone who worked on the OG Half Life is still there?

Take off your nostalgia goggles lol

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...its made by the people who developed nothing but Artifact and a storefront for a long ass time.

Why do people realize studios change with studios like Bioware, but with Valve appearently everxone who worked on the OG Half Life is still there?

Except many of the people who worked on HL1 and 2 are still there...

Oct 25, 2017
Best game of all time? No.

Best VR game to date, at least critically? I'd wager yes.

99 Metacritic? I very, VERY much doubt this. An 85+ for certain. Would probably hit 90+, if not for fools user review bombing it for either "it's a VR Game, VR Sucks", or "It's not Half Life 3, It Sucks".

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Valve is very far from the norm in terms of worker tenure/retention.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017

They literally still have people from Half Life 2 working on this. Valve make one bad product and all of a sudden they don't know how to make good products.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
One reviewer gets severe motion sickness and blames it on the game and it's over with anything 96 and over :P Can see 90+ though

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you are really underestimating the level of resentment people have for their choice to sacrifice Half-Life to VR. I'm not even much of a fan of the franchise and I feel bad for them.

And this is all assuming they're going to manage the impossible task of meeting expectations of quality with regards to gameplay, plot, etc., to the extent that's even possible given the state of modern "VR".

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 7 in VR was one of my favourite gaming experiences, and I loved HL1, enjoyed HL2, Portal, Portal 2. But this is pretty far fetched.

I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay reveal. It looked cool, but in terms of visual spectacle, animation, effects, and design... meh. Those yellow sprays of goo while shooting a headcrab were very... dated looking?

I'm really excited about it being a VR game though (even though I will never own PC VR).

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Because they are lol. You're also ignoring Underlords and a whole shitload of CS:GO and Dota 2 work. Dota 2 just got a big balance update yesterday and Alyx is still dropping next week.

I think you are really underestimating the level of resentment people have for their choice to sacrifice Half-Life to VR. I'm not even much of a fan of the franchise and I feel bad for them.

And this is all assuming they're going to manage the impossible task of meeting expectations of quality with regards to gameplay, plot, etc., to the extent that's even possible given the state of modern "VR".
Sure, but this thread is about professional reviewers. While I'm sure one or two mediocre, salty reviews is enough to ruin a 97+ MC (especially because they'll be way less reviewers than a RDR2 or BOTW), a lot of the hate is gonna be mitigated.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

60% of the people that worked on hl2 are still at valve

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So you're saying the only way to regain the in-person human contact, the in-person events, and a way to escape all this mess during a quarantine is somehow not the best thing for mental health, even when it can include meditation apps, can cull physical pain, and is great for exercising in your home?

If you can tell me of one product that does more than this, please let me know. I'd be genuinely curious.

Silence_and_I

May 7, 2018
If anybody has VR and is willing to review Half-Life Alyx for our website, please send me a PM. They haven't sent the review copies yet but I'm sure they will do in the upcoming days. The review has to be published few days after we send you the key.

Note: Your review will be submitted on OpenCritic under your own name.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
There is just 0% chance of this happening with the current VR sets we have today IMO.
Its just not there yet. Too many issues that detract from every experience, and this is from someone with two VR headsets who loves them

It will most likely get a fantastic score though.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the recently released interview with Gabe, when asked about his favorite Valve game he said "Alyx is the best though, not jocularly" and "this is as good as we get".

I'm fully expecting it to be incredible (though I will still be very surprised if it averages over 95%)

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Being VR only is going to hurt it very badly.
Sales-wise? Yes? But it also will sell more VR hardware and that is what Valve is aiming for.

Quality-wise? Not at all. It will set this game apart from all the other AAA-FPS on the market. If there is still some magic left in Valves dev teams and the game has enough polish, then this will be a truly special experience no other FPS can match. Playing in VR is just something entirely different than playing a normal 3D game.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
Sales-wise? Yes? But it also will sell more VR hardware and that is what Valve is aiming for.

Quality-wise? Not at all. It will set this game apart from all the other AAA-FPS on the market. If there is still some magic left in Valves dev teams and the game has enough polish, then this will be a truly special experience no other FPS can match. Playing in VR is just something entirely different than playing a normal 3D game.
Definitely not quality wise, I have full faith in Valve to deliver a phenomenal game. It'll certainly push VR sales for them but it won't drive too many sales of the game itself

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, see? You aren't even confident enough to go 96. I think we all know this game has the potential to be a landmark in gaming. In that sense, number mean little. Could it bomb hard? Of course. But that's very unlikely. I don't share the 99+ optimism that OP has, as the nature of VR means that some critics will find it uncomfortable regardless of what Valve does to ease players in, but I'll happily stake my Avatar on 96+.

JE1dTUR.png

It is time my friend.

k7MRfdK.png