• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can Alyx do it?

• Yes, I think it's possible.

Votes: 210 11.3%
  • This user is delusional take him to the infirmary.

Votes: 1,646 88.7%

• Total voters

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is true, but these games either came out a long time ago (when them being groundbreaking FPS games still garnered them universal praise) or they are more FPS action adventures like prime or Bioshock.

I'm not saying that FPSes don't deserve 95+ ratings. I love FPS games and it's my favorite genre. I'm just trying to explain why they don't score as highly anymore as they used to.
The main point of the OT was that HLA seems to be a groundbreaking FPS that reinvents the genre on VR, so it would fit the reasons for 95+...

Mind you I believe it will score in the low 90s, as i can clearly see some core complains VR -related.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
But none of this applies to Alyx. As IGN described in their preview, the game has a slower pace than previous Half Life games because the nature of VR makes people want to look/interact with more in the environment and take their time. However for people who do like the intense stuff, of course Alyx has intense shootouts and horror elements.

Speaking of size reference, nothing does this better than VR, and nothing does character embodiment better than VR either, though I'll admit Alyx lacks the full body avatar that I would have loved to see.
You may well be right and Alyx could be able to crack the MC glass ceiling on these merits alone. But I'll be surprised to see it happen.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, crystal balls and fanboys. Always very reliable sources.

You saw a bit of video of a game, OP. That's it.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You may well be right and Alyx could be able to crack the MC glass ceiling on these merits alone. But I'll be surprised to see it happen.
We'll have to wait and see, but I wanted to give my take on why those FPS preconceptions won't apply. Now it's up to Valve whether the stage they've been given was executed as well as they hoped.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Why would they be reviewing a game if they can't do it. This is more or less the system itself doesn't work for the person. Applying it to the game as a review would be ridiculous.

Its not uncommon at all to have publications give a review of a game to somebody who isn't part of the fanbase already. If that was the norm, video game reviews would become even more of an echo chamber than they already are. There's a balance, sure, but Alyx isn't in a very niche subgenre like visual novels that are adapted for NA or EU markets. It has decently broad appeal outside of VR and thus shouldn't only be reviewed by people who are ingrained within the VR ecosystem.

Of course if the reviewer isn't responsible they may criticize the game more harshly than it deserves because they aren't accustomed to VR, their body doesn't handle it well, whatever. That would be unfortunate. However, if VR is going to break into the mainstream we have to allow new people to experience it and talk about it and not automatically consider their opinions invalid.

So I imagine there will be a few reviews that score "low" (80's) because the reviewer isn't used to VR or there is some aspect that hinders their enjoyment that many who are used to the systems wouldn't find an issue. But doesn't that occur in most reviews? There is some aspect of a game that many who like the genre are accustomed to or don't dislike as much?

So I'm guessing in the low to mid 90's. Not best of all time.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
For many outlets this will be the first AAA VR game they play for any substantial amount of time. Some will experience a degree of discomfort and blame the game. Some will wish it was a traditional game that they could play on a couch. Or they'll play it sitting down and then claim it isn't immersive enough.

I'd argue it's too different to get universal acceptance on day one. Even if it's the best game ever, it's not going to gain universal praise immediately.

I feel this way. PCVR games do not get a ton of critic reviews, but this one might and its going to be a whole lot of first impressions. For that reason, I'm not sure it will get out of the 80's.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be more than enough people who rate it low just because it's a VR game.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
How long had it been since Valve released a single player game? I have high hopes but I am nervous due to how much games have changed.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I feel this way. PCVR games do not get a ton of critic reviews, but this one might and its going to be a whole lot of first impressions. For that reason, I'm not sure it will get out of the 80's.
If anything, the first impressions will only push the score up because it will feel more fresh and be easier to blow minds.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
How long had it been since Valve released a single player game? I have high hopes but I am nervous due to how much games have changed.

I think it was Portal 2? So around 9 years. However, they have a lot of talent working on Alyx. People that worked on the original games along with new talent(campo) as well. Have games changed all that much?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, the first impressions will only push the score up because it will feel more fresh and be easier to blow minds.

Perhaps. It will also be the first time a lot of folks realize they don't like VR or they get sick easily and potentially blame the game. Time will tell. Soon. Hope it does great though. I'm ready.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Perhaps. It will also be the first time a lot of folks realize they don't like VR or they get sick easily and potentially blame the game. Time will tell. Soon. Hope it does great though. I'm ready.
I can't imagine this will be much of an issue. VR has routinely blown people away for years. For Alyx to be one of your first VR titles paired with the Index units that I'm sure got sent out to reviewers, well that's the best position anyone could be in.

Sickness is accommodated for very well in Alyx. Valve were resistant to smooth locomotion for a long while even. It will certainly have less sickness complaints than HL1/HL2 which scored 96s. Well, unless Valve makes it hard to find the locomotion options. In my current project I have users set their comfort options once upon first time playing so they can't skip over it.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I think it was Portal 2? So around 9 years. However, they have a lot of talent working on Alyx. People that worked on the original games along with new talent(campo) as well. Have games changed all that much?
I am actually playing through Portal 2 on a Valve kick right now. It is still a great game, but I think Half-Life 2 hasnt aged as well. However, I said the same thing about Doom 3 and Doom 2016 with id and I was pleasantly surprised so here's hoping!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be more of an amazing game because it's VR, but I expect it to get dinged more because it's VR. Headsets have been selling out for months and we still get people who say VR is dead. It's still new and scary.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm more than good if it manages to be a 90-95 game and a game of the year nominee on several respected sources.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I am actually playing through Portal 2 on a Valve kick right now. It is still a great game, but I think Half-Life 2 hasnt aged as well. However, I said the same thing about Doom 3 and Doom 2016 with id and I was pleasantly surprised so here's hoping!

Yea I have to agree about HL not aging that great. I understand that it had an impact on gaming and most things were adopted in large after them. However, this is a new medium and the thought of HL in VR just makes a ton of sense so I'm hoping for the best.

Also, 2 of the writers for Alyx wrote Portal 2 so it has a ton of potential!

Last edited:

nikkmitchell

Oct 29, 2017
Yea I have to agree about HL not aging that great. I understand that it had an impact on gaming and most things were adopted in large after them. However, this is a new medium and the thought of HL in VR just makes a ton of sense so I'm hoping for the best.

I just finished playing half-life 1 in preparation for Alyx, and I gotta say it was awesome. I did play it in VR on the Oculus quest, which I'm sure made it a lot more fun, but the level design and audio are so good I was super immersed throughout.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pancake games making people sick is news to me, is it the same type motion sickness? I guess I can see that with Half-Life, though. Hate that anyone has to miss out on one of the greatest franchises ever over that, though.

I had to skip basically the entire PS1/Saturn/N64 generation because such a high percentage of the games made me sick. (and still do on the original hardware)
Things improved quite a bit after that, but I couldn't make it 10 minutes into Half-Life 2 without throwing up.
There was an early PS4 game called Daylight that was a total vomit comet.

I've been playing VR stuff for 3.5 years and have been able to play a wide range of games comfortably.
Some of it can definitely make me sick, but most of the problem games have options that enable me to play them in some capacity.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
There are going to be more than enough people who rate it low just because it's a VR game.
Maybe user reviews, but not professional reviews. A lot of the hatred comes due to the high cost of entry, people hate that they can't experience it. That's not any issue with reviewers, who have top grade VR hardware. VR is literally like a childhood dream come true for many people.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of mobility solutions for VR. Roomscale has been figured out for many years. The problem is that it requires some sensors and enough space to work.

VR setups that can do roomscale without setting up sensors have been on the market for 2.5 years.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
For what it is doing in terms of pushing the boundaries of games and immersion, and if the story is up to par (sure it will be) plus literally unlimited content via the game editor ala Garry's Mod 2.0....... Yes!
It shouldn't be judged just because it is VR but rather based what it is in it's own right

Last edited:

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
It could get a 100MC and most people wouldn't care due to it being a VR exclusive.
Most people will lose out then.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, *for example* people blindly love and highly regard Ferrari's, yet the vast majority will never be able to try let alone buy one in their lifetime!
Going by this logic, why should this be any different? Oh, except VR is very affordable and accesable to all depending on the headsets you buy!

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Putting Half-Life in the title already guaranteed critical acclaim. It's all down to how good the game is at its core that decides how high it's 90+ score will be.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the VR aspect will make people rate it lower. Many people including myself still haven't found VR legs to stop nausea. Therefore, you have to play with comfort settings that holds back the experience and prevents it from being truly immersive.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Nah, the VR aspect will make people rate it lower. Many people including myself still haven't found VR legs to stop nausea. Therefore, you have to play with comfort settings that holds back the experience and prevents it from being truly immersive.
That would be an unfortunate occurrence for the user in question, but does not represent the vast majority, and shouldn't take anything away from the quality of the game.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
VR games are very diverging as some get much more motion sick than others, because of that there will definitely be some reviews where they bomb the game just because they have weak VR legs.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
A headcrab in your face is truly immersive regardless of how you move. I get that teleporting will make the moment-to-moment gameplay less immersive, but Alyx will still offer unparalleled immersion.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
There's too many reviewers nowadays for any game to ever dethrone Ocarina of Time.

Also it's Ocarina of Time

Oct 29, 2017
I think climbing up to the top hasn't been possible in years, not since at least the Wii/360/ps3 gen. Best rated of 2020? possibly, but best rated of all time means it has to beat a lot of 2000's titles that even their more ambitious successors in the same franchises have not been able to top score-wise.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe user reviews, but not professional reviews. A lot of the hatred comes due to the high cost of entry, people hate that they can't experience it. That's not any issue with reviewers, who have top grade VR hardware. VR is literally like a childhood dream come true for many people.
Guess I've just been paying attention to reviews long enough to know that's not how things work.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love VR and am heavily invested. But you're absolutely wrong OP. Until we solve the issue of locomotion in VR, you won't see a VR game have that potential.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
User Warned: Unnecessarily Provocative Comment
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

But I am sure the 12 people buying it will love it.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A VR game can never get the highest rated game of all time. Not until we are in 2050 where it is infact given.

You think a game that's prime candidate to be review bombed is going to be a 99+ on metacritic?
Wait what? Why would it be likely to review bombed, it isn't like they ruffle some feathers or its the first ever VR game.
Did i miss something.