• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
So after years of messing around with music as a hobby, I finally decided to put myself out there and try to join a band. In high school I would play with friends here and there, but nothing too serious. I put together a couple of videos and sent them out to a few and managed to get answers back.

Well, one of the bands sent me a demo and asked me to lay down some vocals in order to see how it sounded with their music. They didn't give me any lyrics so I had to come up with all that on my own. After a couple of days, I was able to sculpt out something decent and I sent them a sample of what I had. And then there was silence. For 3 days even. Up until that point, the guy I was texting/emailing was quick to reply, so it seemed usual. I figured that if the answer was no, I would have known by now. Still, I don't know these people and for all I know they could just be flaky. Yesterday, I wrote a follow up text just thanking them for the opportunity and that it meant a lot to me that they replied back to me at all, etc. No response.

At this point, I've got bubble gut real bad and my nerves are wrecked. I had told myself it didn't matter one way or the other if I got it, but it sure would be nice to get it. I'm 31 years old with a wife and 2 kids and no special trade skills whatsoever. I'm a competent retail monkey who can manage..but that isn't what I want to do in life. If this is the only life I have to live, then I want to be happy making a living. And I'm no fool. I know most musicians don't make much money and I shouldn't expect to make a living off this. But my experiences in life have shown me that anything is possible if you put everything you've got into it. Cliche but I truly believe that.

Early this morning I finally got an answer. They want to meet with me a town over at a coffee shop to meet them and discuss everything. I'm excited and still a bit shell shocked that they actually liked what I gave them. Now that the high has worn off I feel a bit the weight of what I've gotten myself into. If I accept this offer, I will be the face of a band. No matter what the creative process are behind the scenes is irrelevant to the fact that my face is going to be somewhere now. And that kinda weirds me out. (I'm a black guy if that puts things into better perspective) I don't have FB or Twitter, though I use Instagram to keep in touch with friends and family. I feel I might have bit off more than I can chew.

On the other hand, I've been so inspired. This is the first time in my life where I feel like I could have a place and actual be good at something. My depression has been drowning me over these last several years and this feels like air to my lungs. I owe it to my family and friends who have supported me through my darker moments to succeed. I want my wife and kids to have a good life. This only life I know we have.

I ask for any advice on this. I'm at major fork in the road and I feel the gravity of my decision.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats! It's normal to be nervous. It is because you care and are passionate about this. Just trust your instincts and be positive.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Remember that you're new, and confidence comes with time, but you obviously belong there and they see something in what you offer. Enjoy the ride, learn, and have fun. You don't wanna be on your deathbed about the time you almost had a life as part of a fucking band, do you? Think you'll end up wondering "Oh if only I spent more time in dead end retail?" Me neither.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have no experience in music or the music business, so can't give any advice. Just remember, if they chose you, it's because you're good enough so there's no need to doubt your own value. Enjoy the ride and give it your all, it might be enough ;)

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it means you are good at what you do, or you carry a telephone with its cord like ozzy osbourne

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats. Learn about the impostor syndrome and expect it to happen, is normal. Just be prepared to deal with it and don't spiral. As others have said, if they have chosen you is because they think that you are a good fit.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
This was an amazing read. I think feeling this through is important for you, whether or not you end up going through with it all. This is exciting stuff! I've worked retail for nearly a decade and understand how it can feel to really be putting yourself out there and doubting yourself. One thing I'll add is that every manager you work with, if they aren't doing something on the side, they're miserable, at least in my experiences. I wish you the best of luck.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
as a fellow lead singer:

accept that barely anyone will give a shit

accept that you will have to fight that people come out to shows

most importantly have fun with it, it's one of the most fun things you'll ever do.

also don't get flustered when you hear your voice recorded at first, everyone sounds like ass dry.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Links! Lanks! Always down to hear even the roughest of demos lol

As for advice, practicing with a band is one of the best things a musician can do. So just keep playing and having fun!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That's exciting as hell and the nerves are probably unavoidable for a little while. You're gonna be great and they chose you. I think it is really something you should see through. It sounds like it's really important to you.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome OP.

Please remember us when you're famous and have to beat fans off with a toilet plunger.

I secretly always wanted to sing and write songs but probably didn't have the chops and the one or two times I had the opportunity I chickened out because of both a lack of confidence but also a built in assumption that it's something other people do. Also I have no idea what my natural singing voice is because I spent so much of my singing "career" imitating other singers at karaoke. I do a passable elvis and a pretty good bing Crosby so maybe a crooner? My range is decent and I can hit all the parts of Can't Stop That' Loving Feeling. However I also recognize that really good or great singers also have distinct personal natural style.

A colleague once told me I had a natural Country voice. But I only like Willie Nelson and Jim Reeves. And technically and objectively I'm shit in comparison to every professional singer except the autotuned ones. I do think I could knock out good lyrics though if somebody else is writing tha choonz.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Congratulations!

By the way, what kind of music (genre)…? Could you share a video or something? I would really like to hear you and support you.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Congrats! Embrace that nervousness and use it to push through.

I was the vocalist for a shitty high school/early college metal band and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. This definitely sounds a good bit more dedicated, but there should be some great opportunities to get some real enjoyment out of this.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, OP. I don't have a musical bone in my body, so I can't offer up any advice, but I hope you knock it out of the park. Most importantly, I hope you have fun with it.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
So after years of messing around with music as a hobby, I finally decided to put myself out there and try to join a band. In high school I would play with friends here and there, but nothing too serious. I put together a couple of videos and sent them out to a few and managed to get answers back.

Well, one of the bands sent me a demo and asked me to lay down some vocals in order to see how it sounded with their music. They didn't give me any lyrics so I had to come up with all that on my own. After a couple of days, I was able to sculpt out something decent and I sent them a sample of what I had. And then there was silence. For 3 days even. Up until that point, the guy I was texting/emailing was quick to reply, so it seemed usual. I figured that if the answer was no, I would have known by now. Still, I don't know these people and for all I know they could just be flaky. Yesterday, I wrote a follow up text just thanking them for the opportunity and that it meant a lot to me that they replied back to me at all, etc. No response.

At this point, I've got bubble gut real bad and my nerves are wrecked. I had told myself it didn't matter one way or the other if I got it, but it sure would be nice to get it. I'm 31 years old with a wife and 2 kids and no special trade skills whatsoever. I'm a competent retail monkey who can manage..but that isn't what I want to do in life. If this is the only life I have to live, then I want to be happy making a living. And I'm no fool. I know most musicians don't make much money and I shouldn't expect to make a living off this. But my experiences in life have shown me that anything is possible if you put everything you've got into it. Cliche but I truly believe that.

Early this morning I finally got an answer. They want to meet with me a town over at a coffee shop to meet them and discuss everything. I'm excited and still a bit shell shocked that they actually liked what I gave them. Now that the high has worn off I feel a bit the weight of what I've gotten myself into. If I accept this offer, I will be the face of a band. No matter what the creative process are behind the scenes is irrelevant to the fact that my face is going to be somewhere now. And that kinda weirds me out. (I'm a black guy if that puts things into better perspective) I don't have FB or Twitter, though I use Instagram to keep in touch with friends and family. I feel I might have bit off more than I can chew.

On the other hand, I've been so inspired. This is the first time in my life where I feel like I could have a place and actual be good at something. My depression has been drowning me over these last several years and this feels like air to my lungs. I owe it to my family and friends who have supported me through my darker moments to succeed. I want my wife and kids to have a good life. This only life I know we have.

I ask for any advice on this. I'm at major fork in the road and I feel the gravity of my decision.

Congrats I'm happy for you! And hey uh if you need an opener hit me up haha

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations!

I would be terrified. I would also throw myself into it with everything I had. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't lead to much, which is fine. If it goes well and you are successful, though, the sky's the limit. Either way, take your chances,
and above all, make sure you have a good time!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been there, OP. It's a great feeling to have the band accept your audition. There's really nothing like playing music with people you like, and if you're lucky enough to really enjoy the music you make it's even better. Hope it works out for you.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, my man.

It's financially, emotionally and physically harder than people give it credit. If you find it rewarding to put on a great show and write/record something your proud of, there is little else more fulfilling.

Keep us posted!

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Definitely go for it dude :) it's always worth doing something you love no matter how scary it seems

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Being in a band is like dating all those people at the same time, without any of the physical closeness and warm feelings. It's an emotional roller coaster sometimes.

And it's the best. Those people might become one of the closest people in your life. Creating art togerher and those nights spent on tour van does that.

And ofcourse there is putting up a show and seeing people enjoy your music. Awesome feeling.

Good luck, have fun!

Oh, and did you have the talk? Meaning what are you trying to achieve as a band and what is the level of sacrifices you need to be willing to make?

OP
OP
Melkezadek

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for all the encouraging messages! We decided to meet at 5 today. Other than their name and the song they've sent me, I know nothing about this band. I also haven't bothered to look them up yet just so I didn't go in with any preconceptions. Judging from the quality of the song they gave me and the skill of their musicianship, I have to assume they are serious about all this. I'm really anxious to hear what they have to say.

You got this OP. Link us your demo!
Nice one! I wanna hear some of your music, but understand if you don't feel the need to share.

I'm hesitant to link it publicly only because technically it isn't my music, lol. I can DM if you want to hear a sample. And thanks!
Congratulations!

By the way, what kind of music (genre)…? Could you share a video or something? I would really like to hear you and support you.
sounds great mann, which genre? I'm a guitarist but I have only my solo project ATM and haven't been in a metal band for a couple of years, thinking of getting one formed again

It's a metal/rock /punkish kinda band from what I've heard from them. I'll soon find what other influences we share.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that's really awesome. Congratulations!! Definitely keep us updated with what you find out. I hope everything works out well for you! It's definitely one of those pivotal moments in a lifetime.

OP
OP
Melkezadek

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Update

Well I've been working with these guys over the last couple months and we've been making progress. Next month we're supposed to be heading into the studio to record about 7-8 songs, so anxious/excited about that. The whole creative writing process has been exhilarating and I recommend anyone who is even mildly interested in music, to give it a shot. There is nothing like creating something that can speak to people you don't even know. Music is really a universal language and can be empowering. With that said, I'm beginning to feel a little uncomfortable in this band and I'm not sure what to do.

When I first met them, we all hit it off. It was genuinely surprised how much we all had in common, despite our differences in background. We're all into nerd stuff like Star Wars and comic books, and all seem to keep up to date with current events. However, over the last couple months, I'm picking up on little things that are starting to make me feel out of place and I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

1) Occasionally they'll make low quality "black" jokes

Look, I don't mind joking around. I consider myself pretty laid back and I'm a fan of self deprecating humor. But these little jokes started from the very first meeting. Nothing major. Stuff like "aye, a black guy playing black metal, har har har". Stuff like that was cute in high school, but nowadays it wears on my nerves. Especially since everyone else in the band is white.

2) The band is me (black guy) and 4 other white dudes.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but being in a relationship with 4 young white men in 2020 is a crap shoot. When I first met them, I was surprised to be able to find 4 white guys in Buffalo who weren't completely brainwashed on a diet of Fox News. Slowly, but surely, many of the hot takes began to surface. In a group chat, one of the other band members jokingly calls the other a "fag" and the response is along the lines of "oh no I am now offended!". Listen, I get that metal can be edgy, and I don't expect everyone to be paragons of virtue in this industry, but that shit was lame even in highschool. I'm gonna be 32 this year and I just don't think/talk like that.

The moment that compelled me to update this thread was from a hangout I had with the bassist a couple days ago. Originally went over to his house to work on some lyrics, but ended up talking politics and the state of the world. It never ceases to amaze me that so called "free thinking" people still manage to fall for the standard right wing talking points, even when they conflict with your supposed "non partisan" perspective. I had to hear things from "Trump derangement syndrome" to "Robert E Lee was an honorable man and I don't believe we should be tearing down statues. I kept it civil, but inside I disappointed, but ultimately unsurprised.

3) I feel we're rushing to just get shit out

Before I joined the band, they had a falling out with their vocalist. From what they tell me, he was controlling and didn't work well creatively with others. This was back in August. A month or so later, they find me. Soon after, I lost my job and would be desperately looking for one all the way until a couple weeks ago. I have a wife and 2 kids, so it's been difficult to be creative and indulge in extracurricular activities when my wife is working 40+ hours a week. Plus taking care of kids is a ton of work and the guilt of not being able to provide for them has taken its toll on my mental health. To be fair to the band, they've 100% been understanding of this, even without knowing me very well. So now we're coming closer to the deadline and I've been in writing mode. It's important to me that the lyrics serve the music and I don't want to write something to 'get it over with'. There is a feeling of "over it" with most of these songs because they are remnants from previous bands they've been in together. Speaking for me, I do feel a little detached from the music because the old singer was with them playing these songs for over a year. Writing for them is difficult because the band is used to hearing them a different way. They themselves have expressed that they are still trying to find their identity, which has also been a challenge.

Personally I think we need to start all over and grow as a band together. But then again, at this point I'm unsure if I should invest any more time. I love the music and I don't want my hang ups to have me miss an opportunity to actually *do* something with my life. Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. It's not always going to be amazing. But are my concerns enough to reconsider? Or should I tough it out and see where it goes?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update

Well I've been working with these guys over the last couple months and we've been making progress. Next month we're supposed to be heading into the studio to record about 7-8 songs, so anxious/excited about that. The whole creative writing process has been exhilarating and I recommend anyone who is even mildly interested in music, to give it a shot. There is nothing like creating something that can speak to people you don't even know. Music is really a universal language and can be empowering. With that said, I'm beginning to feel a little uncomfortable in this band and I'm not sure what to do.

When I first met them, we all hit it off. It was genuinely surprised how much we all had in common, despite our differences in background. We're all into nerd stuff like Star Wars and comic books, and all seem to keep up to date with current events. However, over the last couple months, I'm picking up on little things that are starting to make me feel out of place and I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

1) Occasionally they'll make low quality "black" jokes

Look, I don't mind joking around. I consider myself pretty laid back and I'm a fan of self deprecating humor. But these little jokes started from the very first meeting. Nothing major. Stuff like "aye, a black guy playing black metal, har har har". Stuff like that was cute in high school, but nowadays it wears on my nerves. Especially since everyone else in the band is white.

2) The band is me (black guy) and 4 other white dudes.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but being in a relationship with 4 young white men in 2020 is a crap shoot. When I first met them, I was surprised to be able to find 4 white guys in Buffalo who weren't completely brainwashed on a diet of Fox News. Slowly, but surely, many of the hot takes began to surface. In a group chat, one of the other band members jokingly calls the other a "fag" and the response is along the lines of "oh no I am now offended!". Listen, I get that metal can be edgy, and I don't expect everyone to be paragons of virtue in this industry, but that shit was lame even in highschool. I'm gonna be 32 this year and I just don't think/talk like that.

The moment that compelled me to update this thread was from a hangout I had with the bassist a couple days ago. Originally went over to his house to work on some lyrics, but ended up talking politics and the state of the world. It never ceases to amaze me that so called "free thinking" people still manage to fall for the standard right wing talking points, even when they conflict with your supposed "non partisan" perspective. I had to hear things from "Trump derangement syndrome" to "Robert E Lee was an honorable man and I don't believe we should be tearing down statues. I kept it civil, but inside I disappointed, but ultimately unsurprised.

3) I feel we're rushing to just get shit out

Before I joined the band, they had a falling out with their vocalist. From what they tell me, he was controlling and didn't work well creatively with others. This was back in August. A month or so later, they find me. Soon after, I lost my job and would be desperately looking for one all the way until a couple weeks ago. I have a wife and 2 kids, so it's been difficult to be creative and indulge in extracurricular activities when my wife is working 40+ hours a week. Plus taking care of kids is a ton of work and the guilt of not being able to provide for them has taken its toll on my mental health. To be fair to the band, they've 100% been understanding of this, even without knowing me very well. So now we're coming closer to the deadline and I've been in writing mode. It's important to me that the lyrics serve the music and I don't want to write something to 'get it over with'. There is a feeling of "over it" with most of these songs because they are remnants from previous bands they've been in together. Speaking for me, I do feel a little detached from the music because the old singer was with them playing these songs for over a year. Writing for them is difficult because the band is used to hearing them a different way. They themselves have expressed that they are still trying to find their identity, which has also been a challenge.

Personally I think we need to start all over and grow as a band together. But then again, at this point I'm unsure if I should invest any more time. I love the music and I don't want my hang ups to have me miss an opportunity to actually *do* something with my life. Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. It's not always going to be amazing. But are my concerns enough to reconsider? Or should I tough it out and see where it goes?
Yikes dude. As a white 30 somethings, those comments would be a dealbreaker for me to be a band with some guys. Obviously, you have your own standards and I in no way want to tell you what to do as a person who rarely has to navigate the complexities of racism personally. That said, I don't think I could stomach those kinds of comments and thinking.

I'm sorry because it must be really hard going from being excited to be in a band and going through all of that auditioning. Sounds like you're talented and might be worth shopping around again.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear about your trouble with your bandmates. Sadly I can't imagine those being the kind of wrinkles that easily smooth out and after you record the songs and start putting stuff out I imagine the stress levels will ratchet up. I obviously don't have your experience here but I'd consider sitting them all down, airing your concerns, and see how they respond before deciding whether to ditch them or tough it out. Worse comes to worst and you have to let them go, you can take solace in the fact that if you were good enough to join them, you'll be good enough to find another group. Best of luck.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, was about to post congrats reading the man OP, then I just read your update.
My advice? Find people you share political views with and start a band with them. It sucks you will have to scrap all of these months of creating and working, but having been in several bands myself on and off over the past 25 years (I am 45 now), it sucks when you have different views from just 1 or 2 of the other band members? But different views with potentially 4 out of the 5 members AND you are the singer writing lyrics? Yeah, that seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Let's just pretend you guys get a little success. Someone decides to interview you all for your podcast and starts talking politics. Would you be cool with friends and family and strangers hearing what your bandmates may have to say also representing you? A band is ultimately a unit. I get some bands exist and no one can stand eachother. I do not get how they can do it myself.

EDIT - I really do still want to say congrats though. I have auditioned for several bands as a singer, one of them even pursued me as they knew my old band and thought things would work out (it was ultimately decided after 4 rehearsals it would not, which really hurt and sucked). I know how hard it is to even make the decision put yourself out there and possibly face rejection. It is incredibly hard and scary, especially when you do indeed face that rejection. So please keep in mind my feedback above is also coming from a place that knows how hard it actually is. I just really think at least being on the same page as a few of the members is most important overall. Then again if you guys are just writing song and you are writing lyrics that have nothing to do with personal feelings, etc., then perhaps it is still doable. But my knee-jerk reaction is to try and find people you are at least in the same ballpark with as far as politics and beliefs. Nevertheless though, congrats on even getting picked to begin with. You took the step and laid yourself out there completely exposed and vulnerable to others. That is incredibly brave and not easy.

Last edited:

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
wow sucky update dude...... I would say,
Dont expect that they are going to change
Dont expect their opinion of black people to change
Dont expect that you are going to bring them to the light.
They shown you who they are, either you stick with it, or *Get Out*.

Link us some music, or DM me a link! I'd love to hear your work.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry that the other guys are treating you that way. Hopefully things can resolve a bit, but like others said I don't think they'll change. Don't let em push you around and treat you like trash.

But God damn I wish I was in your position, I've always wanted to be a lead in a band.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Speaking as someone who also felt like I had imposter syndrome a lot.. my advice is simply, "if other people who know what they're doing think your good enough, your good enough". They have a band, and they want you to be in it; so you must be good enough and deserve to give this a shot . It doesn't have to be one or the other in terms of your job too, let them know about your situation, hopes, and fears, just be honest. Maybe they can work with you there so you can do both.

Congrats!

EDIT: well shit, I just saw the update too. All can say now is it seems like things went well at first, but isn't working out due to a lot of non musical things combined with you recent struggles. If you leave this band, when your in a more stable situation again I would say keep searching and maybe an different set of bandmates might turn the situation around. But sorry to hear they are being kinda shitty :(

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
rRC5EYL.gif

Congrats, OP. Don't let the nerves get to you

Edit after reading update: Oh...

Ohhhhhh

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Honestly, I'd just quit before you book the studio. I wouldn't want any of my creative ventures to be associated with guys like that.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Have you guys played out yet? I've been in too many "work in progress" bands that had big dreams but when it came time to execute they always fell short. Unless you guys have a gig lined up any time soon, I would start looking around for a new project. You can write tunes all day, but if nobody hears them then you're just in constant baking mode with nothing to show.