• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
People vaping for this forget non-PC players paid an extra $15 for this in 2012-2018, so it's completely valid to be cross about its obscurity.
I don't know, I find it valid to be slightly annoyed that you "have" to google it. What I don't find quite as valid is the notion that your $15 would be worth more if it was an option in the main menu like most other games instead. I don't see how it devalues the DLC at all. You can engage with the "puzzle" if you so desire, or just google the answer. I don't see how that makes any difference in how much money the DLC is worth compared to it being easier to find without googling.

Even though I'm complaining that the DLC was too easy to find in the next games, I also don't think they should be cheaper because they're lacking the puzzle element. I find tying the complaint to the money spent quite nonsencial, to be honest.

You can definitely easily miss it if you don't know level up five times with Yoel and he dies after Abyss Watchers.[/ispoilers]
Right, which is why I mentioned, I can see it if you're just too good and wouldn't even die enough times, there's no way of knowing the specific amount, so that particular experience is understandable, though I highly doubt it was the case for anyone complaining about that quest. I seriously, seriously doubt it. But it is technically possible.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
Like, this is just not true. Bloodborne's DLC drops an item in a highly trafficked area, the Hunter's Dream. It's almost impossible to miss this item because the Hunter goes to the Dream all the time. You pick up the item, read the description, and it's immediately obvious where you need to go. I never had to look up anything.

In Dark Souls, a similar solution would be to drop an item in Firelink Shrine, at the very least, but nope, we don't even have that.

edit: I misremembered, it's not even an item description, it's literal instructions! see:

I know it's not possible, but I would be very interested in seeing statistics of how many people actually found the Bloodborne DLC by themselves vs the people that googled it.
I'm quite certain that most of the people that say its very evident where you need to go had actually looked it up (I don't mean you in particular, just in general).

Oct 25, 2017
I am Baffled by the set up of the dark souls 1 DLC. I completely missed it on my first Playthrough.

I heard Dark souls 1 only had 1 dlc pack. I assumed the Painted World was the DLC and I completed it. at some point right before the end I found out that was not the dlc but I figured let me go mop up Gwyen real quick then I can hit this extra content.

LOL Nope enjoy your new game + fool!

The biggest problem is unlike Painted world which is hard enough to find the doll at least that's obviously content of some kind.

I googled how to get the dlc

The dlc is near impossible to find on your first run. Why on earth would I randomly go back to the hydra lake 'After" killing the hydra and already fully exploring the area.

even if I did do this and kill the gold golem. I killed the hydra after duke's archive How would I have known to go back kill 1 specific blue golem then go back a third time to see a tiny black vortex at the back of an area already dark.

Truly baffling game design. what where they even thinking?

I've still never done the DLC. Just tremendously poor design. Everything with the spawn point and the NPC associated with it was one of the dumbest parts of the game pre-DLC, and then they made the DLC locked behind it. Why there? Just why?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Same for item descriptions, I've seen people upset that they had to google how to get to Cainhurst and the Bloodborne DLC, when the item description of the very item that allows you access tells you where to go. In the DLC's case, it's not even in the item's description, there's straight up a pop-up message telling you what to do:
Agree about it being much more accessible (see my post on the first page), but they should have added this message to the item description. That's my only problem with it. It's deceptively easy to forget the specifics of these messages and there's no way to recall it in-game. You could argue this is on the player, but it would have been such a simple step to add these lines to the item description that there's no reason Fromsoft didn't do it.

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not possible, but I would be very interested in seeing statistics of how many people actually found the Bloodborne DLC by themselves vs the people that googled it.
I'm quite certain that most of the people that say its very evident where you need to go had actually looked it up (I don't mean you in particular, just in general).
The point still stands, though. They straight up tell you where to go. If you can't figure it out, that's on you. It's honestly hard to think of a way to make it more obvious without breaking the whole "we want to communicate it in-universe" thing. I can only think of "warp to the Cathedral Ward lamp and take the left exit", which is never how anything is explained in these games, and would be an unfair expectation to have.

I've still never done the DLC. Just tremendously poor design. Everything with the spawn point and the NPC associated with it was one of the dumbest parts of the game pre-DLC, and then they made the DLC locked behind it. Why there? Just why?
Because it's the geographical location the DLC takes place in, and the main NPC associated with it? They should absolutely have made it so the golem would spawn instantly when the Hydra dies, without needing to reload the area, but "why there?" is a weird question. Of course it should be there, and associated with her. The problem is that they didn't make the whole process more seamless.

Agree about it being much more accessible (see my post on the first page), but they should have added this message to the item description. That's my only problem with it. It's deceptively easy to forget the specifics of these messages and there's no way to recall it in-game. You could argue this is on the player, but it would have been such a simple step to add these lines to the item description that there's no reason Fromsoft didn't do it.
With that I don't disagree, I don't see what would be lost by adding it to the description. It's kind of the opposite issue to the one in this DLC, in which players who bought the game and DLC together are much more likely to forget it than those who experienced the DLC at launch, since the only thing we still had left to do with the game was precisely the DLC. So we pick up the item and do what it says right away. A new player will just store the item for later, and may forget about the message.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
It is funny because I played through bloodborne for the first time in the past weeks and I completely missed the cainhurst area. Huh, maybe on another playthrough.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Because it's the geographical location the DLC takes place in, and the main NPC associated with it? They should absolutely have made it so the golem would spawn instantly when the Hydra dies, without needing to reload the area, but "why there?" is a weird question. Of course it should be there, and associated with her. The problem is that they didn't make the whole process more seamless.
Out of curiosity, does that cave appear in the DLC as well? I know Oolacile, specifically the Royal Woods part, is Darkroot in the past. But now I wonder if the cave is there in some way or shape, too.

The lake with the hydra, that couldn't be the place where you fight Manus, right? Otherwise the connection is indeed obvious (albeit in hindsight).

With that I don't disagree, I don't see what would be lost by adding it to the description. It's kind of the opposite issue to the one in this DLC, in which players who bought the game and DLC together are much more likely to forget it than those who experienced the DLC at launch, since the only thing we still had left to do with the game was precisely the DLC. So we pick up the item and do what it says right away. A new player will just store the item for later, and may forget about the message.
Exactly.

I do want to reiterate how much I like the way the game sets you up for discovering the DLC location well in advance. Getting grabbed by the amygdala leaves such an impression. Every blind playthrough I watch has people fall for the bait and react to it with the same bewilderment. Then you receive the bloodshot eyeball, hours later, and it makes so much sense. I think it's a good compromise between ease of access and the franchise's 'figure it out yourself' philosophy.

I prefer it over the much more straightforward manner of Dark Souls 3, where you simply cannot miss the old guy mumbling next to your bonfire over and over until you finally talk to him. I always wondered why he appeared in the Cathedral of the Deep of all places.

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, does that cave appear in the DLC as well? I know Oolacile, specifically the Royal Woods part, is Darkroot in the past. But now I wonder if the cave is there in some way or shape, too.

The lake with the hydra, that couldn't be the place where you fight Manus, right? Otherwise the connection is indeed obvious (albeit in hindsight).

Exactly.

I do want to reiterate how much I like the way the game sets you up for discovering the DLC location well in advance. Getting grabbed by the amygdala leaves such an impression. Every blind playthrough I watch has people fall for the bait and react to it with the same bewilderment. Then you receive the bloodshot eyeball, hours later, and it makes so much sense. I think it's a good compromise between ease of access and the franchise's 'figure it out yourself' philosophy.

I prefer it over the much more straightforward manner of Dark Souls 3, where you simply cannot miss the old guy mumbling next to your bonfire over and over until you finally talk to him. I always wondered why he appeared in the Cathedral of the Deep of all places.
Nope, the place you fight Manus in is around the Four Kings arena. The Hydra area is the Kalameet boss arena. If the question was specifically "why the Hydra bit of every place in Darkroot Garden?", then it's because Dusk was already there in the vanilla game, she wasn't added with the DLC, just had her role expanded. At least as far as I recall reading on it, never played the game before the PC version myself.

And I definitely agree that Bloodborne's method is far better than Dark Souls 3, particularly for new players, who will have that realization you just described. I think my perception of it is clouded by the months of anticipation and expectations that we'd access the DLC exactly where we did, so to have the game telling me so openly felt disheartening, like they didn't trust me to pay attention. But playing everything at once, you didn't have months to think about it, so it's more of a "ha, I knew it!", or a "oh, that's cool!" moment instead. Thanks for offering that perspective.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The internet is not for gaining knowledge, it is for bitching about the knowledge you gain (and in the interrum since i came up with that maxim a decade ago, conspiracy theories/disinformation campaigns).

Oct 25, 2017
Every single follow-up game had the DLC more accessible than this.

I know, and I like the sequels a lot less. Bloodborne was a great return to form with everything feeling like a mystery again. Maybe hiding DLC isn't the best way to achieve this for most people, but I enjoy it; "cringy" or not. Demon's Souls is still my favorite in the series precisely because it is ridiculously esoteric and unpredictable. I'm tired of games making everything obvious in the name of "good game design". Minimizing frustration, finding everything and "beating" them is not the reason I play games. At all.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I actually prefer the dlc to be more integrated into the world like this, instead of feel like something pinned to the end. It makes the game's feel different and fuller when replaying but yeah I can see how they can be a pain for the first time if you don't discover them naturally.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Once you've played the game once, it's so quick to get back to that point it's not a massive deal into. Not ideal but I'm not mad.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I think the bigger problem here is that before DS3, FromSoft games immediately started New Game+ after beating the final boss, which is kinda a bummer if you play the game before the DLC releases or if, like you, you miss the DLC in the first run.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I know, and I like the sequels a lot less. Bloodborne was a great return to form with everything feeling like a mystery again. Maybe hiding DLC isn't the best way to achieve this for most people, but I enjoy it; "cringy" or not. Demon's Souls is still my favorite in the series precisely because it is ridiculously esoteric and unpredictable. I'm tired of games making everything obvious in the name of "good game design". Minimizing frustration, finding everything and "beating" them is not the reason I play games. At all.
This is missing the point, though. Yes, the games are known for being obtuse and esoteric. It doesn't mean that when you pay $15 for DLC, you should be required to run through the entire game again just so you can find where to even begin to access what you just bought.

When you buy the new game, you start the game right away. You don't need to solve a puzzle or use Google to even start the game. A DLC expansion is much the same. The DLC itself can have obtuse secrets within its content and whatnot, and hell, you can even maybe throw a puzzle in there to get it started, but at least give us something to start with. An item description, a hint, anything. Artorias of the Abyss had literally nothing to give the player, so new DLC buyers had to either use Google, or play through literally every inch of the game world all over again... it's dumb and indefensible. And even From knows it.

I think the bigger problem here is that before DS3, FromSoft games immediately started New Game+ after beating the final boss, which is kinda a bummer if you play the game before the DLC releases or if, like you, you miss the DLC in the first run.
That too, though to nitpick, you mean "before Dark Souls 2", because that one was fine too. Bloodborne regressed on that, weirdly.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't imagine defending this. You can love Souls, love how obtuse it can be and love the need for community engagement to help discover secrets etc while still thinking it's fucking dumb that you can't just dive into the DLC and worse still that it's easily missed.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
to be honest the only weakness of ds1 is obscurity. You never get explained many things that you should know,nor hinted.

in practice if you never read about the dlc,you cant access it

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is DLC. How did you download it if you also don't have the ability to look up how to access it?

For people who didn't forget google existed, it represented a fun experience trying to figure it out.

If you just want a big glowing sign post then as usual, the rest of modern gaming will make you feel good about yourself.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It's weird that some people are caping for this. There is totally an additional layer or two of bullshit sprinkled over the access to this DLC that sets it apart from the other obscure stuff in the game.
Agree. I hate when people say "the point is to be lost!". First, that's not the point of these games for everyone. It's not for me at all. Second, there's a difference between exploring and thinking "hey I should go all the way back to one of the first areas of the game and check out a corner of a giant lake.".

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's absolutely stupid. I almost missed it. Was about to go defeat the final boss because I thought the DLC comes afterwards. Luckily people on Discord jumped in to stop me.
Even having to look up on how to access it was complicated.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
You're free to play Gears of War 2 which railroads you through every bit of the campaign in a way where you can't miss anything, ensuring you experience everything you paid for, if you prefer.

This shitpost literally sounds like it came from a Jim Sterling Commentocracy/Duke Amiel du H'ardcore video. Amazing.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
It sure feels it is a bit too obscure to access it, but I wonder if this is the only way they could figure to jam it in? I swear back in the day there was a response from From when being asked about DLC where they said that they don't do DLC / expansions, they believe in their games being complete (it's been a long time, so I can't recall exactly).Of course, then they ultimately made DLC and it was so well received, it practically seems expected now that their games will have some killer expansion released for it.

But even if that explains the first games DLC, these days having some weird ritual to get into the DLC seems to be a From "tradition" ;)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
YoiLHMH.jpg

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It is DLC. How did you download it if you also don't have the ability to look up how to access it?

For people who didn't forget google existed, it represented a fun experience trying to figure it out.

If you just want a big glowing sign post then as usual, the rest of modern gaming will make you feel good about yourself.
Idk, walking around every single area you've visited to see if anything changed doesn't seem very fun. That's essentially what you have to do for this DLC unless you've yet to visit certain areas at all.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, walking around every single area you've visited to see if anything changed doesn't seem very fun. That's essentially what you have to do for this DLC unless you've yet to visit certain areas at all.

Did you follow the recent quest to open the new door in demon's souls? The community had a great time with it.

Now you can also just google what to do.

Everyone is sorted. Everyone should be happy.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Pretty much everything that is too obscure is made completely with player messages in mind. And honestly, I don't like it at all. It's such a blunt instrument that can end up spelling out something you wanted to figure out on your own or completely absent when you needed a hint the most.

I had a ton of fun with my time with Dark Souls and Bloodborne but man, the idiosyncrasy of some Souls-fans on this specific forum to jump at every little opportunity to defend any given mechanic as if its "intended by design" such as the obscure means to access paid content when any other game it would be considered an issue or flaw just seems odd to me.

I'm not remotely surprised by some of the responses in this thread are treating it like some sort of personal slight. There is stark difference between being able to enjoy the game as opposed to acting like a slavish fanatic being unable to acknowledge that any potential issue is an actual issue that somehow makes it an exception to the rule when any other game is typically criticized for some of these things.

No game is perfect, not even my own personal favorite either, but sure as hell feels like and is a bit tiring folks treat it as such.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine defending this. You can love Souls, love how obtuse it can be and love the need for community engagement to help discover secrets etc while still thinking it's fucking dumb that you can't just dive into the DLC and worse still that it's easily missed.
"Defending" is a strong word but I don't see why you'd have a strong opinion about it. Buy the DLC, google how to access it, move on with your life.

Oct 31, 2017

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Did you follow the recent quest to open the new door in demon's souls? The community had a great time with it.

I feel like that's different. That's a fun little hidden secret that overall has no impact on the game. This was paid DLC for a lot of people, not a scavenger hunt. Anyone wanting to go into that without engaging with the community or online or anything is understandably gonna be upset when they miss it. The people not happy would be the ones who wanna go into the games blind. If you do, you're gonna have a bad time with some of the more cryptic shit in these games. Some of them feel cool to discover while others just left me thinking "how the fuck was I ever supposed to figure that out on my own" after I looked it up.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Unfortunately this is modern FROM design philosophy (or just Miyazaki)
Nah, you don't need a guide normally. The only times you need a guide is to do all the secret optional stuff. And even From and/or Miyazaki agree since outside of this DLC nonsense, which is actually an anomaly, the games and their respective expansions are still all fully playable from start to finish without guides.

The whole "this was by design" defense does not hold up to scrutiny.

A hidden Easter egg != DLC content you pay for

Seriously, what are these takes?

Nah. It's still bad design and luckily From agrees since they changed it in later games

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, you don't need a guide normally. The only times you need a guide is to do all the secret optional stuff. And even From and/or Miyazaki agree since outside of this DLC nonsense, which is actually an anomaly, the games and their respective expansions are still all fully playable from start to finish without guides.

The whole "this was by design" defense does not hold up to scrutiny.

A hidden Easter egg != DLC content you pay for

Seriously, what are these takes?

You pay for all the content. The difference is you actually have to seek out and additionally buy the dlc. It is not in game, you need to leave the game to get it from a store.

So you can have your hot takes back because you are wrong. If you want the souls experience of seeking out obscure things through lore, you can do that.

If you just want to be spoon fed how to access it? All the information is there to read when you do your shopping.

If you missed it? Well you probably missed lots of things in the games. Those things are still there, go hunting.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I like it. It's optional content that's separate from the main game. I would be very upset if they just put it as an option in the menu to select.

Dark Souls 2 requires to search around for the keys in the gameworld in areas that are tied to the DLC. Bloodborne needs you to solve a riddle to get it. And Dark Souls 3 lets you access by finding a side NPC or getting to a certain high level zone.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And it's the way the content was going to be found in the BASE GAME, before the idea was scrapped. Going back in time to Darkroot was going to be a secret feature. So this is Miyisaki implementing the area how he wanted to before he ran out of time to do it in the vanilla game.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it. It's optional content that's separate from the main game. I would be very upset if they just put it as an option in the menu to select.

Dark Souls 2 requires to search around for the keys in the gameworld in areas that are tied to the DLC. Bloodborne needs you to solve a riddle to get it. And Dark Souls 3 lets you access by finding a side NPC or getting to a certain high level zone.

In 3 the NPC is on the critical path. You won't complete the game without passing it, outside of situations where you've beaten the majority of the game already

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
You pay for all the content. The difference is you actually have to seek out and additionally buy the dlc. It is not in game, you need to leave the game to get it from a store.

So you can have your hot takes back because you are wrong. If you want the souls experience of seeking out obscure things through lore, you can do that.

If you just want to be spoon fed how to access it? All the information is there to read when you do your shopping.

If you missed it? Well you probably missed lots of things in the games. Those things are still there, go hunting.
lmao, ok, not taking your bait anymore.

This is incorrect. In the original DS2, the keys were automatically added in your inventory when you bought the DLCs. You'd read the item description and figure out the place in question to unlock it, but they did automatically give you the keys. The riddle in Bloodborne is not even really a riddle, and the item appears in the Hunter's dream, where you can't miss it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

Playing Dark Souls 1 taught me to just Google how to access the DLC in every FromSoftware game ever.
Did it for Dark Souls
Did it for Bloodborne
Will do it for Dark Souls 3 when I play that too.

Even then I missed an area in Dark Souls 2 (The Dark Chasm of Old) and an area in Bloodborne (Hypogen Gaol) and I really tried hard to explore those games as much as I could.

Thats only for Scholar of the First Sin.
OG Dark Souls 2 added the keys to your inventory when you bought each DLC.
And the doors to access the DLC were nearly impossible to miss. They are extremely obvious.
The key locations aren't great in Scholar, that's fair to say but also you don't get kicked into NG+ and have to play the game over again

Dec 6, 2017
US
Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time, hell I even love the later areas, and I still think the DLC access is fucking ridiculous. The game is massive and insanely detailed, figuring that out on your own seems next to impossible.

It legit pissed me off when it came out I admit.

Also, I played offline and beat the game several times without a guide and wasn't on message boards at the time. So yea, having to look that up annoyed me. I hate using guides or hints.

Oct 25, 2017
This is missing the point, though. Yes, the games are known for being obtuse and esoteric. It doesn't mean that when you pay $15 for DLC, you should be required to run through the entire game again just so you can find where to even begin to access what you just bought.

When you buy the new game, you start the game right away. You don't need to solve a puzzle or use Google to even start the game. A DLC expansion is much the same. The DLC itself can have obtuse secrets within its content and whatnot, and hell, you can even maybe throw a puzzle in there to get it started, but at least give us something to start with. An item description, a hint, anything. Artorias of the Abyss had literally nothing to give the player, so new DLC buyers had to either use Google, or play through literally every inch of the game world all over again... it's dumb and indefensible. And even From knows it.
Well, I will certainly cede that there should have been more subtle hints in-game for this particular DLC. There was plenty of room to help players make the connection between Oolacile and Darkroot Basin before actually getting there which definitely should have been used. What I personally wouldn't want is the game outright saying "hey go here to play the DLC!".

(And since it's been brought up as part of this discussion; I DID pay for Artorias of the Abyss separately on PS3 when it came out. Didn't piss me off one bit.)

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
You're not wrong, but I feel like that argument applies to many other aspects of the game.

How is a person expected to figure out which stats are important and which aren't? How are they expected to figure out the poise system? How are you expected to figure out how some of the covenants work? The answer is that you eventually go look at a wiki. That's sort of accepted for this series.

Yup I think exactly the same .
There are always elements in every souls game that are impossible to work out on your own .
This is why I always play from games with a guide.
I'll do an area first then check the guide to see if I missed anything before I move on.
You can have a go at me as much as you like but this makes it fun for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't entirely agree, but I definitely see where you're coming from and agree with large parts of it. The "beating the meme hard game" mentality is absolutely the culprit for a considerable amount of the "it's too obtuse" criticism applied to things like character quests. The answer to "how was I supposed to know that?" in Souls games is often "by paying attention to NPC dialogue and reading item descriptions", which is the exact same way you follow the game's stories.

I'm not saying everyone has to follow the story in Souls games, and I definitely appreciate how it's not in your face and you can easily ignore it if you so desire, but any piece of information you'd gather by just paying attention to the story can't possibly be criticized for being too obtuse. That's entirely on the player if they missed it. When you decide to ignore so much of the game's content, it should be expected that you'll miss out on stuff. It's like skipping cutscenes in a Naughty Dog game and complaining you don't understand character motivations. You signed up for this when you started skipping the cutscenes.

I see people criticizing World Tendency all the time, and when the complaints can be summarized as "it's inconvenient to control", I keep waiting for the actual criticism. So what that it's inconvenient? I'm not saying World Tendency should be a thing in every game, but I definitely share the "man, they just don't appreciate this game at all" sentiment whenever I saw people asking for it to be removed from the Remake. Going through the steps required to achieve the Return ending in Sekiro was a blast on its own right, the quest was great, the characters involved are great, each step was exciting, and the ending felt like a reward for it. Complaining about it being "impossible to figure out" is asking for the games to become theme parks.

Just youtube the cutscene if you want to get it effortlessly, let us enjoy the process as well. Though I guess if you did just youtube the endings you'd miss out on the trophies that prove that you did 100% on the meme hard game, so instead we need to ask for it to be as painless as possible. I need my platinum and I don't have a lot of time! Oh well.

That too, though to nitpick, you mean "before Dark Souls 2", because that one was fine too. Bloodborne regressed on that, weirdly.
I always found fascinating how apprantely isolated the teams were during Bloodborne and Dark Souls II's development. That definitely changed after Bloodborne shipped, and you'd see a lot of people in credits for two games that came out a year apart, but it's crazy that the Bloodborne people were possibly unaware of things that went to become standard features for the series, like jumping on L3 and auto-hide HUD.

I'll defend Dark Souls 1's jumping over L3 jumping until the day that I die, but if there's one game where L3 jumping is just objectivelly superior it's Bloodborne, with blocking being such a niche use feature, instead of a universal one like in Dark Souls, which means you couldn't tie rolling while sprinting to it like they did in DS1. Bloodborne would really really benefit from L3 jumping.

Some of the best areas/moments in the series are easily missed. It shouldn't be controversial to not mind that applying to DLC as well.

If you have a save that did 100% of the game sitting right before Gwyn and you bought the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, all you need to do is kill a golem and grab the pendant, and the description of the pendant should give you the rest of the information. Should there be a hint somewhere after you buy the DLC (Firelink Shrine, as Morrigan suggested, would be fantastic) telling you to at least check the Duke's Archives? Absolutely, that's perfectly fair. "Just dive into the DLC" would definitely be a worse solution, however. I like that they're integrated into the games. It makes the whole experience stronger on repeated playthroughs, instead of its own thing.

Agree. I hate when people say "the point is to be lost!". First, that's not the point of these games for everyone. It's not for me at all. Second, there's a difference between exploring and thinking "hey I should go all the way back to one of the first areas of the game and check out a corner of a giant lake.".
But you can use guides for all of the games if you don't want them to be "about being lost". I don't agree that this is the point of the games either, but that experience can be mitigated. You can't add mystery by yourself when the game straight up tells you what to do, like Bloodborne does, however. You can't just forget what the game just told you and pretend you're figuring out yourself. People who don't want to engage with the search can skip it with google, people who do can only enjoy that experience if it's designed that way. You can't google mystery into a game.

And the lake part is properly communicated, actually, it's only the Broken Pendant that's obtuse. When you grab the pendant, the description says:

Half of a broken stone pendant.
The vine appears to originate from Oolacile.

A powerful magic can be sensed from this
ancient stone. Yet men of this time can
neither manipulate nor sense its power,
which has a distinct air consisting of
both reverence and nostalgia.

Oolacile is only mentioned elsewhere in the game, as far as I'm aware, through Dusk of Oolacile, an NPC that comes from that place, and sells items and sorceries from Oolacile, that always reference Oolacile in their description. You go back to where her summoning sign is, and it's no longer there if you have the Broken Pendant. If you check back on the place where you find her before unlocking the summoning sign, there's a portal for you to interact with. If your problem is the lake part, that is definitely much easier to figure out than accessing the Painted World.

And that is completely ignoring any kind of outside information, like the DLC's trailer and every bit of news about it that mentioned Oolacile, which should already make everyone at least consider freeing Dusk on their DLC save.

The thumb straight up shows where the portal is. Someone new to the game playing the Prepare to Die Edition / Remastered would naturally not watch this, but it certainly works as an argument against the "what about people who bought it as DLC back then? They wasted their money".

Oct 25, 2017
I don't entirely agree, but I definitely see where you're coming from and agree with large parts of it. The "beating the meme hard game" mentality is absolutely the culprit for a considerable amount of the "it's too obtuse" criticism applied to things like character quests. The answer to "how was I supposed to know that?" in Souls games is often "by paying attention to NPC dialogue and reading item descriptions", which is the exact same way you follow the game's stories.

I'm not saying everyone has to follow the story in Souls games, and I definitely appreciate how it's not in your face and you can easily ignore it if you so desire, but any piece of information you'd gather by just paying attention to the story can't possibly be criticized for being too obtuse. That's entirely on the player if they missed it. When you decide to ignore so much of the game's content, it should be expected that you'll miss out on stuff. It's like skipping cutscenes in a Naughty Dog game and complaining you don't understand character motivations. You signed up for this when you started skipping the cutscenes.

I see people criticizing World Tendency all the time, and when the complaints can be summarized as "it's inconvenient to control", I keep waiting for the actual criticism. So what that it's inconvenient? I'm not saying World Tendency should be a thing in every game, but I definitely share the "man, they just don't appreciate this game at all" sentiment whenever I saw people asking for it to be removed from the Remake. Going through the steps required to achieve the Return ending in Sekiro was a blast on its own right, the quest was great, the characters involved are great, each step was exciting, and the ending felt like a reward for it. Complaining about it being "impossible to figure out" is asking for the games to become theme parks.

Just youtube the cutscene if you want to get it effortlessly, let us enjoy the process as well. Though I guess if you did just youtube the endings you'd miss out on the trophies that prove that you did 100% on the meme hard game, so instead we need to ask for it to be as painless as possible. I need my platinum and I don't have a lot of time! Oh well.

Yeah, pretty much. To me it's the same divide as people considering The Witness/Outer Wilds are GOAT status vs people who find those games meaningless.

Look, I don't mentionit in order to rob you of enjoying these games. It has everything to do with the vast majority of semi-high budget games catering to players with zero patience for being lost and confused while players like me get like one fantastic game every 5-6 years. I truly appreciate getting those at all, but boy do I genuinely feel left out of this industry sometimes.