• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh, I get loads of drops on ps4 pro. Additionally it's mostly just a dude in a corridor with 5 demons, its not that impressive imo

Dmc4 on LDK was far more impressive

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm reallynot, location are nothing special graphically and they are small.
And even the characters take a huge hit in details, also i don't think it's rock solid locked 60 fps...

So yeah, you see all the sacrifices to achieve 60 frame, but for an action game, it was the right choice.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's limited in scope and the environments are kinda bland, but yeah the characters and action look superb.

May 18, 2018
The bits I've seen look really nice but I wasn't overly impressed with the demo but maybe cos that was on ps4 pro and not x1x?

Would love to buy this game but I just can't get into them. I really wish they were made more simplistic like the old GOW games. Not a fan of encounters feeling like a closed off mini arena either.

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's really not much going on with the backgrounds though. Majority of the levels are featureless rocks and caves.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I just wish I could about playing as V. I didn't finish the game because he turns the game into a borefest.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
not important enough. wanting 30 to be the standard for most games and 60 to only exist for extremely twitch competitive stuff.

I think there's a place for mixing framerates in games, as traditional animation does it all the time. but when a player has direct control of the camera, jittery movements are always inferior and often cause motion sickness. plus there's no good reason why games shouldnt be exactly as responsive as intended.

oh i agree yeah, 60 fps is a positive in 99.9% of the time imo, i think its really wonderful capcom has been able to create very competitive visuals without caveing to lower framerates. Ive been happy with them doing this since dmc4 when the standard seemed to drop for everyone else

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really?

Firstly, I didn't think it looked that great (played on PS4 Pro) and even so, the levels were tiny and on rails.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
A photogrammetry focus does produce some impressive results. Battlefront, Injustice, Modern Warfare. That in addition to static (pre-calculated) lighting have enabled really impressive fidelity and performance.

It's at odds with the goals of most open world games (scale over detail, day-night cycles), so Capcom's unique focus on linear AAA productions allow them to use those technologies to their fullest.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
image0.gif

Saved for future use.

But yeah DMC5 & RE engine are magical.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
It's the best-looking game of the generation, as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely gorgeous, and 60FPS to boot.

Capcom is... bbbbafflingly good at creating new engines.
I agree, RE Engine and MT Framework are great and what the yaccomplished with them.
DMC5 is like my favourite game of this year.

But Deep Down and Panta Rhei would like a word woth that last statement of yours.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Its levels look like garbage, that's why. It's easy to have some high polygon, well animated characters on screen when the rest requires next to nothing. I feel most people completely manage to ignore this because the characters are great looking especially in cutscenes.

In the same way Doom 2016 is hailed as a paragon of optimization yet it's a lot easier to get cramped, mostly linear levels to run at high framerates and visuals than open world games with big draw distances and huge amounts of asset instancing to make up forests etc.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree op. Best face tech too imo.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
For me, the RE Engine is extremely well made, extremely scalable, and the artists that Capcom have - are extremely talented. That's how it's reaching 60. Talented artists and a well-optomised engine.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I do appreciate what OP is saying because DMC looks astonishing. But it's easy to understand how they achieved this.

First, the environment is pretty simple in terms of geometry and very narrow, so.... less demanding rendering.

Second (and this is where I really wanted to see a better PC version), there's no Ambient Occlusion ingame. It gives the cutcenes a vast improvement over the real time, a shame they couldn't include in the PC version in some form.

And third.... using photogrametry in every texture was the right thing to approach the realism they want, but the texture resolution is rather low in the scenery. The camera being very far during combat sequences helps to hide this a lot.

But after all.... DMC 5 rocks and rules at 60 fps and looks astonishing. Really excited to see the future of the franchise next generation.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
The characters and effects look damn good. But the environments are so plain and bland it's not a surprise they got it running at 60 fps to me.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and on PC it runs smoothly and perfectly well, wish other devs learn from it, we waste so much money on a PC to run their average optimized games smh

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
So what are the chances that the next Monster Hunter will move on to RE engine in the future. Cause dmc5 and re2 ran really well on my pc
Unlikely. Monster Hunter is made at Capcom Dev 2 (they also do Capcom's fighting games), while the RE Engine is currently being used by Capcom Dev 1 (RE, DMC, etc.) exclusively. Likewise, Monster Hunter has tons of armors, which would be difficult on the RE Engine since it excels with scanned-in characters, objects, & clothes.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Still can't get over the story of this one. Vergil once again makes a total ass of himself, brutalizing his own son and murdering half of a city but aw shucks he's a bro we can't kill him.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a wonderful looking game in motion, the animation and special effects are top tier.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Lies. Base Xbox is clearly running at 30fps. When a console player joins my campaign I laugh at their choppy 30fps animation it plays.
Not everyone can enjoy the blissful locked 60fps and native 4k ultra settings of the PC version of either DMC5 or Gears 5 on a 2080 Ti, tbf. But I don't laugh at people who don't own a 2080 Ti, because that would make me a selfish snob.

It's not just Gears 5 btw, DMC5 doesn't run at 60fps on base Xbox either.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually pretty simplistic looking with rather excellent character models and particles, which is what sells it. Small tiny areas, and the latter 2/3rds of the game is just entirely set in goo land with random looking structures, so it demands an aesthetic that allows them to get away with not having enough definition in those areas wrt geometry, detail and texturing.

If you want an example of games that are truly pushing the tech at 60FPS, you have to look at Modern Warfare campaign, Wolfenstein, Doom, Infinite Warfare campaign, Battlefront 2. I'd include Battlefield as well but that game barely even hits 60 even on pro consoles...let alone maintain it for stretches like the games I mentioned.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It made my One X louder than I've ever heard it. Definitely squeezing all the juice it can from the box.

Oct 24, 2019
RE Engine is just amazing. Now that we've seen what it can do for Resi and DMC, I can't wait to see what other franchises get that luscious treatment.

Give me a Dino Crisis, Okami, or Onimusha in RE Engine!

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Well it's not an open world game, it' a corridor simulation and coupled with capcoms artists and thier proprietary engine you get the 60 fps goods on this even running on the lamentable base og hardware. I don't see why we can't get this level of opulence on the next gen consoles, in an open world title, running at 60 fps.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, folks are really jaded nowadays. I've always been a graphics nut but damn. Game is a joy to watch as you hit buttons.

Game is gorgeous on PC, baked lighting, missing AO, some stale backgrounds to hold 60, aside. Just simply watching the combat and animations is bliss.

Hoping to get some time to dig back in and hopefully DLC will come. No time nowadays but I can revisit DMCV for years until 6 and even after!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
when they say "animation blending" are they referring to dante's model's animations "blending" in with the particle effects?
Each attack in that clip is its own unique, individual animation. Animation blending refers to how the game dynamically transitions from one another smoothly and without losing a step.

Nov 23, 2017
I don't know what game people played to say that the level art or geometry or whatever is bad or unimpressive. Clearly the scope is that of a linear game but theres a ton of stuff going on graphically with the levels (I get its prebaked)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It's definitely the game that's impressed me the most as of late. Those facial animations are insane. I think the last game that impressed me in those specific regards was probably Injustice 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, folks are really jaded nowadays. I've always been a graphics nut but damn. Game is a joy to watch as you hit buttons.

Game is gorgeous on PC, baked lighting, missing AO, some stale backgrounds to hold 60, aside. Just simply watching the combat and animations is bliss.

Hoping to get some time to dig back in and hopefully DLC will come. No time nowadays but I can revisit DMCV for years until 6 and even after!

Yeah it drives me crazy. Like games look effin good, I dont know how people can nitpick so much.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely. Monster Hunter is made at Capcom Dev 2 (they also do Capcom's fighting games), while the RE Engine is currently being used by Capcom Dev 1 (RE, DMC, etc.) exclusively. Likewise, Monster Hunter has tons of armors, which would be difficult on the RE Engine since it excels with scanned-in characters, objects, & clothes.

Makes sense. I am curious how Capcom would potentially handle dragon's dogma 2, though

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Makes sense. I am curious how Capcom would potentially handle dragon's dogma 2, though
Its probably going to be in the RE engine because its Itsuno directing (and he has helped develop it a bunch, also most familiar to him and his team) but its sure to be 30fps on consoles but its going to be another huge leap for the engine in terms of scale. Gonna be gud,

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Capcom are just gods at optimization. They probably knew how to code for the 3DS better than Nintendo themselves.

Too bad Monster Hunter World really struggles to keep a stable framerate, even on PC with a good rig it varried between 50 and 40's for me depending where I was on the level if I was in combat or not.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It's a character action game. They focused on the action (60fps) and the characters. Makes sense.