• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the bump but I'm suffering through this, too. Usually 5 min after boot my connection cuts out intermittently for a few seconds until it finally comes back in. Yesterday, it cut out and never came back. I tried three different HDMI cables and all I get is a black screen and no sound on my pro. Getting nervous that it might be something more serious. I've ordered some Monoprice premium HDMI cables and will try booting PS4 in safe mode tonight. I've had this issue since I first got my pro and I can't believe it's been over a year and there's been no fix on Sony's end. :\

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, my Pro does this too. Don't have the problem with any other console or device. Didn't have it with my base PS4.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
For those of you having these issues, are you using the HDMI ports on your TV are enhanced/hi speed? Most Sony 4K TVs only have 2 enhanced HDMI ports.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This seems very much an issue with specific brands/models of TV. This was a constant issue on my Samsung and it was infuriating. Since upgrading to an LG OLED I have not had it happen again, and the TV is the only thing in the chain that changed.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
The one time I had this, it was a jank HDMI cable. Getting a good cable in there immediately fixed it.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see this thread. Ever since I got a HDMI switch, this has been an issue for me. I can now try a new cord, the one recommended in this thread, that goes from the box to TV

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
I have this issue too. It stop for awhile once I hook up my psvr. It started up again. Annoying. Got Sony xbr tv. Using ps pro

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Switch your cables. I had this happening with my X1S and PS4Pro. Turned out I used the same brand of cheap HDMI cables for both. Switched out for some inexpensive 4k cables and had no problems since.

Oct 27, 2017
I have an issue that when I leave my PS4 on, switch Input to switch, then switch back to I put PS4 Pro is on, there is no video or sound. Turning TV off doesn't fix it, but turning PS4 on and off does

As is I can cope but it's annoying when it happens

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my sound cuts out regularly if the console shuts off and the tv stays on. a quick power cycle of the tv fixes it. shame too since it's a sony bravia tv connected to a sony gaming console.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This might be a niche problem that may only apply to people with both a PS4 Pro and 4K TV (and I'm unsure if the problem is more common with certain types of TVs), but nevertheless this is an issue that has plagued me for over a year now and persists even minutes before typing this.

In layman terms, this is when you suddenly lose the video signal between your console and TV: the system is still running, you might still be getting audio, but the picture itself is lost. The only way I've been able to fix this is randomly trying the following:

1. Unplug and replug the HDMI cable

2. Turn the TV on and off

3. Switch between the other inputs on your TV

Eventually you should get the picture back, but it's incredibly annoying how often I have to do this. It seems to happen the most frequently whenever I'm resuming my PS4 from rest mode, which makes me not want to use that feature.

It was suggested that this problem may happen less frequently if I plug my PS4 to my Home Theater instead of directly to the TV, but that hasn't helped things at all. It's super annoying, and to my knowledge this has not been addressed in any firmware updates (I'm not sure which is more at fault, the PS4 or the TV. Maybe both).

My TV is an LG OLED 2016 E6 series by the way. If by chance there's a solution I'm not aware of, please let me know.
I have literally the same exact problem the only difference is that I have the E7 and don't have a home theater

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
In layman terms, this is when you suddenly lose the video signal between your console and TV: the system is still running, you might still be getting audio, but the picture itself is lost.
I had this same problem, but fixed it by using a different (a bit more expensive) HDMI cable. Never had the problem since. I use a Sony model from a bit over 3 years ago.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I had the problem. The issue was caused by a defective One Connect box. The issue never happened again after the One Connect was replaced.

Deleted member 30151

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had the chance to test a PlayStation 4 Pro and that was literally the first thing that happened to me after exiting the Resident Evil 2 Demo. It's not happening on my girlfriends TV (Samsung 4K, no OLED). I'm using a Philips 4K Ambilight TV (also no OLED). I've heard it's a more common problem with PlayStation 4 Pro systems. This shouldn't happen at all. Even if the majority does not suffer from this problem, it simply shouldn't happen and is hopefully not a topic when the PlayStation 5 will be out.

Nov 1, 2017
Had this issue at one point, the issue was caused by a faulty HDMI Cable (the larger the length of the cable, the more prone to handshake issues they seem to be).

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Generally, this is almost always the cable.

While it is a headache digging into the topic, I recommend people educate themselves on the different HDMI standards as well as the configurations of any devices being used. This is even more complicated when you start introducing 4K tvs/hardware.

Is the current cable the right standard?
Does the AV have a passthrough for that standard?
Is the TV setup with mixed standard ports?
Does the TV output in 8-bit or 10-bit.. or 12-bit?

Be aware that a lot of HDMI cables will say they are 4K capable, but MANY of them are not 100%. There are different methods for using 4k depending on the TV, and many of these cables are 4k capable with lower-quality bit depth and not what is becoming more common in 4k TVs.

Some cables support 4k in the green range and not the yellow, but still say they are 4k cables.

HDMI_versions_and_formats_3.png

Also, don't fall prey to the thought pattern that if it works with Y it should work with Z or it worked with my last XB or PS4, it should be good still for the XB1X or PS4Pro.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
My new TCL 4K/HDR TV doesn't have this issue, as I do believe I forced the 2160P onto the HDMI ports via HDCP 2.2 or whatever number it's on. I have yet to experience what you experience with my Pro & TV, but it may just be the settings I set.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
ive bought tons of premium hdmi cables to have black screens during gameplay only to find out amazon basic hdmi cables some how work the best. I had an HDMI cable rated for 21Gbps perform worse and not work in 4k HDR compared to a damn 18Gbps basic ass amazon cable.

check your cables

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So bumping from earlier.
My issue is resolved from earlier. I had the flickering and such. Found out it was my PS4Pro stock HDMI cord. I bought a couple of them today in best buy (surprisingly i found some in the overstock section so they were discounted). Got a Rocketfish 4K HDR Ultra lmop insert other letters here HD or whatever (you know what i mean) cord, Put that into the PS4 PRo and fed it to the HDMI switch box, and grabbed an Ocean HDMI 4K Cord which was in overstocked and seemed to be priced incorrectly (40 dollar cord for 15 bucks?). Zero issues and I been using my PS4Pro all day.

Thank you thread for this. I thought it was my Pro and Samsung TV. turns out it was 2 stock high-speed cords HDMI cords. I will update if any issues, but seems my issues are 100% completely resolved so far

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
I never had this problem for over a year but the last two days it's been happening. Would be in the middle of a game and my tv would either turn off picture or go static but come back seconds later.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Hmmm that's weird, never had that problem with my PS4 or Pro.
I do have that issue on my PC with the Switch and laptop tho.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mine still does it. I'll need to swap the hdmi cable but I'm using the one that came with the ps4 pro so I don't understand how Sony could include a hdmi cable that doesn't work. :/

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had the same thing on my old Sony Bravia and LG C8. I changed the HDMI cable to the receiver and receiver to TV with new high speed cables and the problem was solved.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine still does it. I'll need to swap the hdmi cable but I'm using the one that came with the ps4 pro so I don't understand how Sony could include a hdmi cable that doesn't work. :/
I think those cords initially go bad or as someone stated the handshake agreement doesnt work. Mines was good for about a few months, then suddenly began that issue and got worse over time. like stated i though it was tv and pro the entire time (until this thread this morning) go grab a cord from amazon or nearby store and test it out.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think those cords initially go bad or as someone stated the handshake agreement doesnt work. Mines was good for about a few months, then suddenly began that issue and got worse over time. like stated i though it was tv and pro the entire time (until this thread this morning) go grab a cord from amazon or nearby store and test it out.

Will do, thanks. It's so annoying but I think if I turn the TV on before the ps4 it helps alleviate the issue.

kriskrosbbk

Oct 28, 2017
yeah man, juat buy a fancier hdmi cable. the one in the pro box is just crappy. had similar issue with 4k bravia and new cable solved it.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I had this problem all the time with my old TV (AOC fullHD from like 2007). But after pairing my Pro with a Sony 4k tv, no problems. Could be lucky, or could be it's better supported somehow because both are Sony products.

Oct 27, 2017
My issue is less about flickering video and more about audio skipping. Tried several different cables, even Amazon ones people suggested, nothing solved that. Only changing sources or turning on TV before turning on Ps4 seems to temporarely fix it. I'm on base Ps4.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had this problem occurring very frequently when I upgraded to Samsung 4K TV (NU8000). I swapped PS4 Pro and XBX cables and issue almost disappeared, so HDMI cable does indeed matter! It still happens for a second or so but very rarely and only in certain games. Played Spiderman for ~30 hours and only had black screen two times. It's annoying and I wish it didn't happen at all but it's manageable at least. I'll just have to deal with this until PS5 comes out.

I see poeple blaming certain TV brands for this but I think it's Playstation to blame here. PS4 and Pros are known for shoddy build quality and cost saving. I have so many problems with my Pro. It's loud, Wifi constantly dies, Wifi speeds are atrocious, HDMI issues, etc.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yup I have this issue with LG OLED. In fact it was so bad that the first TV broke because the PS4 flashed the screen so hard and it broke the HDMI port with its handshake problems

I still have the issue about twice a week

Dankul

Nov 14, 2017
I have this issue as well with my PS4 Pro and a Sony 4K TV. Currently, the most convenient temporary "fix" I've found so far is to power reset the TV by holding down the "power" button on the remote (as oppose to putting it on stand-by with a simple button press). Before, I would have had to wait it out for hours with the TV/PS4 powered off or unplugging the TV from the power outlet.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I have an issue that when I leave my PS4 on, switch Input to switch, then switch back to I put PS4 Pro is on, there is no video or sound. Turning TV off doesn't fix it, but turning PS4 on and off does

As is I can cope but it's annoying when it happens
Well, it might have to do with the cables that is broken. If replacing cables doesn't fix this, I don't know how to help you any more.
It might be your graphic card, or your TV's configuration.

But just to be safe, no offense but PC popularity is rising a lot, while PS4 and Switch is reaching the end of its life. I'm not forcing you to buy PC, but personally I'd suggest buying one.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it might have to do with the cables that is broken. If replacing cables doesn't fix this, I don't know how to help you any more.
It might be your graphic card, or your TV's configuration.

But just to be safe, no offense but PC popularity is rising a lot, while PS4 and Switch is reaching the end of its life. I'm not forcing you to buy PC, but personally I'd suggest buying one.
Thanks for the feedback. Not interested in PC but I'll try a different cable. It doesn't happen enough for me to be too concerned yet

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Got a PS4 Pro at launch and these flickering problems started when I bought LG B7 a year ago. I had 2m long Premium Certified cables back then and my Pro was the only device that had the issue with the B7. Then I bought a Sony XE90 (because my B7 was garbage, fuck LG and their customer support, rant over) and the problem persisted. So after really looking in to this and having tried probably everything I've come to the conclusion that there's just something wrong with my Pro.
  • This flickering never happens with 2160p - YUV420 resolution settings or lower. Every cable I've tested worked fine no matter the price or length etc.
  • This flickering happens only with 2160p RGB resolution settings, no matter what other settings I use on my PS4 or TV (cables make no difference, same as above)
    • But there's a catch. If I shut down my PS4 completely every time after playing then there's NO flickering
    • If I shut it down, play a game and then put it to Rest Mode and boot it up in the next 18 hours I can play without flickering. BUT if I yet again put it to Rest Mode and boot it up then it flickers all the time or just boots straight in to a black screen
      • If I shut it down, play a game and then put it to Rest Mode and boot it up AFTER 18 hours then there's the flickering or just a black screen
Thanks to two years warranty I sent it to Sony for repair with this description and they sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it and they did absolutely nothing to it. So now I'm basically locked out of Rest Mode in order to play without black screens and/or flickering.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I only have a 1080p display but sometimes my Pro would not output anything to the display when initially turning it on. I had to unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. Changing to a different cable seems to have stopped this from happening again.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the feedback. Not interested in PC but I'll try a different cable. It doesn't happen enough for me to be too concerned yet
lolol I'm sorry man, that was a joke from the first page I just copy pasted. I was hoping someone would respond with 'what the fuck is this' lol

But ya, hope the cables work out. Bummer situation.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
This problem got a lot better when I ran my PS4 pro into my VR box first then directly to my TV instead of to my stereo first. I just use the TV out to connect to the stereo. The funny thing is I now have my PC with a 1080ti hooked up to my TV running in 4k, and handshake issues are actually more common on this setup than the pro - I get black screen pauses a lot more frequently on PC.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Mines is getting worse.

It started with my TV simply displaying resolution

Then, it would do that and also everything goes to black for a few seconds and lose audio.

Now it's completely fucked and everything turns a weird turquoise colour and I need to turn the console off at the wall.