• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Shit is outdated and they need to get rid of it. It wasn't a big issue before as everything was transmitted through text and you didn't notice or didn't miss it. But now a days with everything being voiced it's just bad.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
they want you to pretend you're them.
That's how I approach it. It's also kinda funny sometimes.

The main problem with Fire Emblem though (and Persona), is that you're given tons of dialogue options to progress the conversation, but none of them are voiced. The protagonist actively speaks in battle, but off the battlefield, the very least he can do is speak the lines the player gives him instead of making awkward hand gestures. For me, it's less about not speaking and more about speaking when the player has the opportunity to give the input.

Oct 20, 2018
This is why I hate a good majority of games today. I really don't wnt to be the character as it is unrealistic IMO. Would rather experience their story

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Hated it in Metro.
I don't need the "immersion" and prefer following the main character's story with a voice instead of "being" him and having none.

That's how I approach it. It's also kinda funny sometimes.

The main problem with Fire Emblem though, is that you're given tons of dialogue options to progress the conversation, but none of them are voiced. Byleth actively speaks in battle, but off the battlefield, the very least he can do is speak the lines the player gives him instead of making awkward hand gestures.

One can argue the same for Persona.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Unfortunately, Nintendo of America is known for cutting corners in terms of voice acting budget. For reference, the last time NoA unionized any of their games was Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.......in 2015.

All three examples are not cutting corners - Fire Emblem is not cutting corners anywhere when it comes to voice acting and Astral Chain also has a heavy amount of needless voice acting in places where text boxes would have been enough. Link has always been silent and is very deliberate.

It's just a simple design decision.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fehmmlhj6k.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
We really can't go a whole week without a silent MC whining thread, can we?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I wish more of the characters were silent tbh.

Get this gosh-darn VA out of my Nintendo games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
All three examples are not cutting corners - Fire Emblem is not cutting corners anywhere when it comes to voice acting and Astral Chain also has a heavy amount of needless voice acting in places where text boxes would have been enough. Link has always been silent and is very deliberate.

It's just a simple design decision.
As I said...
I know that, I'm just making a point about how NoA is generally cheap when it comes to voice acting. Silent protagonists come from the developer's end.

But yeah, it's a design decision. And for Link & Byleth, it just so happened to allow them to dodge various bullets afterwards.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to disagree, being spoken to by everyone and never having any input other than wandering off to where they want you to go doesn't provide any immersion for me.

Dead Space 2 was a better game in part because Isaac speaking gave him some semblance of agency rather than just being an errand boy vessel for the player to kill things and move between objectives.

Metro Exodus was weird because you don't even speak to your wife when she's right in front of you. Half Life 2 also feels weird because Alyx has this growing admiration for Freeman despite him being some armored nerd who says nothing and bashes brains in with a crowbar.

Alyx Vance always bothered me because the entire character felt specifically designed to massage the PLAYER'S ego. "YOU'RE SO COOL, PLAYER. I CAN'T BELIEVE I GET TO WORK WITH YOU, PLAYER. I'M A GIRL AND I'M PAYING ATTENTION TO YOU, PLAYER."

There is no relationship between her and Gordon because Gordon is not a character, and the endless attempts by the game to pretend there was one really just made me uncomfortable.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW
FE Three Houses
Astral chain

wtf is the point? who actually likes this? why?!!!!!

how is it normal for someone to hold a full conversation with you while you just stare at them with no response? it completely and utterly break immersion

will it cost a fortune to hire some VA?

Its OK bud, Im pretty tired of every other game having a chatterbox for an avatar.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
How does a mute protagonist devoid of any agency and personality increase immersion? It totally breaks immersion, also it is not the standard anymore most modern rpgs have protagonist that talk.
Because the player can give them agency and personality, increasing immersion? It can be immersion-breaking when a protagonist doesn't fit your own personality.

I'm totally fine with silent protagonists, and even prefer them in some cases.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine, honestly. I don't think having a silent protagonist ruined BOTW or FE:3H for me.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how watching a named character not responding to anyone, as if they were a robot, increases immersion.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Not just Nintendo titles.

Anyways overall it sucks for story games...

Silent Protag: ...
Someone close to silent protag: *Dies*
Silent Protag: ...

HUGE ❌

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I don't want to be rude, but are we going to have this thread every week now? Most AAA games have voiced protagonists already, why can't we have games with silent ones too?

I actually like silent protagonists (and I wish Nintendo would stop putting voice acting in their recent games too, I hate it).

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's terrible, and not just a Nintendo thing. I don't care for it across the board.

But with Zelda it's gotten more and more jarring over the years, because they've given Link a personality and made him a full-blown character. He's no longer a silent protagonist, he just doesn't have a voice because...reasons.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Only from low budget and/or indie studios (with a few exceptions). Do Nintendo count as one? Even lots of indie RPGs do have fully voiced MC nowadays.

Dragon Quest is basically a low budget indie game, you heard it here first folks.
Also Persona and Shin Megami Tensei and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.
Also Half-Life.
Also South Park: Stick of Truth.
Also Skyrim.

(I don't think "a few exceptions" is cutting it.)

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It is maybe a little overdone. I get the immersion argument, but I also think they do it to avoid any controversy or backlash -- look what happened when they tried to delve too deep into Samus' backstory.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
As usual, people are confusing "no voice acting" with "silent protagonist". "Silent" means the character never says anything, not even in text. No voice acting is a perfectly fair choice if you don't have a big budget or want to put a ton of text into the game. Silent protagonist is just an old awful trope. Can't think of a single game in which the silent protagonist worked.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Byleth should speak.
I've never played Astral Chain but I'm guessing they should speak.
No Zelda character should speak, text only.
Samus should not speak or even have text. In fact I don't want any type of face to face communication in Metroid.
DK characters should speak as much as possible.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Yeah you're a freaking cop in Astral Chain. Who the fuck thought that a silent protagonist would fit in a setting where teamwork and communication is crucial.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Immersion is a pretty BS thing anyway and yes i do like this.

Silent Protagonist are a good thing. If anything i'm sick of the completely vague "Muh immersion" criticism against some games.

Not to say that i dislike VA but its not a requirement nor does it always add to anything meaningful.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
completely agree with you op and im baffled how that can be seen as a positive aspect

Playing Zelda and DQ 11 it addet nothing to the story or the character but just broke the immersion or lead to some cringe cutscenes

You have a emtional cutscene with other characters showing emotions and then there is the protagonist just beeing silent. if atleast the narrative presented the character as someone mute, it would've been much better

Silent Protagonist are ok imo if you actually controll the decisions, choices or words of a character like in Skyrim.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Call me old fashioned, but I like silent protagonists, at least in some games (including Zelda).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because the player can give them agency and personality, increasing immersion? It can be immersion-breaking when a protagonist doesn't fit your own personality.

I'm totally fine with silent protagonists, and even prefer them in some cases.

But in games like Astral Chain and Fire Emblem the player really can't give them agency and personality. In Fire Emblem's case the game treats your character like they have a set personality but you never hear any of the dialogue. They just stand there like a dead-eyed mannequin while people talk at them.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Same. I can't stand it. Takes me completely out of so many scenes when the protagonist just stands there like a big dumb asshole. It's 2019, there's no reason to have silent protagonists anymore.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I remember a poll recently where more people preferred silent protag than not.

That's this thread, and I wouldn't say more people, the poll results were just about a 50/50 split on the matter.

To repeat what I said in that thread, sure you can have a Silent Protagonist, but it in turn makes them one of the more boring characters of the game in the process.

The only good example I can think of in recent years is the Doom Slayer, and that's solely because he instead shows what he is feeling with his actions instead of his words.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't want to hear my character say things I would never say. It breaks the link and disconnects me from the character.

So I don't mind, it's a way for me to engage more in the story. Instead of being spoon-fed dialogue, I immerse myself more by thinking how I would respond.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you are making a significant amount of dialog choices, it feels VERY out of places in 2019.

It's a stylistic choice otherwise. And an odd one. Makes conversations feel awkward, and has an overall budget feel.

I look at the Tales Of games because those have a TON of conversation and usually the MC speaks. He didn't in Xilia 2 and it was just... ugh. Nearly the same games, and the one with the silent protagonist, the mc was far far far more forgetable.

Also, it REALLY blows in Astral Chain. I chose the lady and I wanted her to be a cool character and she just isn't a character. Wish I chose the dude so she could have been a character. Oh well.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game but I'm usually for it. I actually wish there were *less* fully voice-acted lines in Three Houses, for example - I liked the characteristic sounds and exclamations in previous games because that is often all of the delivery I actually listen to because I read so much faster than that!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Non voiced protagonist with text dialogues like Fallout 3/New Vegas is great. Non voiced protagonist who occasionally has text dialogues but other wise regularly emotes and reacts like FFXIV is great.

Non voiced protagonist who doesn't have any dialogue at all and just stands there with a blank stare is shit and not immersive at all. I can't pretend to be them because if I was them I wouldn't be standing silent without saying anything. Hybrid protagonists who stay silent most of the time with no dialogue at all despite having a voice actor are the worst of all, examples being MGSV and Metro games. Remember that 5-10 minute "conversation" with Skull face where he just keeps talking and Snake doesn't even open his mouth? Or how Artyom doesn't say a thing to his wife while she's screaming on radio asking if he's alive, or say anything to her while they are hanging out together. Yet they both have a voice actor.

The following are 6 images from one whole event in Metro. This is not immersive in the slightest because if I was him I'd respond:

zFdQAAq.jpg

pRbISAO.jpg

wvsrnqb.jpg

J6spyvF.png

cdOUYVG.png

NnS0AIW.png

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BoTW
FE Three Houses
Astral chain

wtf is the point? who actually likes this? why?!!!!!

how is it normal for someone to hold a full conversation with you while you just stare at them with no response? it completely and utterly break immersion

will it cost a fortune to hire some VA?

I like it. I find it's no more immersion breaking than having a voiced character who is clearly "other." You're confusing personal preference with objective quality.