• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
If you could only get 1 of the two, which one would you get any why based on the blow criteria?

Which one "wins" in the the below categories:

Story:
Characters:
Fantasy:

(world/adventure/enemies, etc)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler for all three. it feels like the game Setsuna was intended to be (which is appropriate since Setsuna seemed to have been made off the success of Bravely Default)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a big Octopath Traveler fan, but even I couldn't recommend I Am Setsuna over it. Octopath wins by far in all of those categories and more.

Oct 25, 2017
Try the OT demo, seriously. If you bounce off of it hard, there's your choice. It is there for a reason (and your progress carries to the main game)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I Am Setsuna isn't really worth playing at all, let alone when compared to a game as good as Octopath.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Octopath Traveller

With regards to the quality of I Am Setsuna, let's just say that Tokyo RPG Factory lives up to its name.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
well this is a landslide so far, lol.

What are all the complaints about Octo's story?

Essentially, many people went into Octopath expecting a traditional JRPG story/structure, with a grand overarching narrative. But the game is very much focused on eight personal short stories, each self-contained with four chapters.

If you go into it knowing what it is, knowing that the short stories are very intimate and personal, and their scenes don't include the other party members (they only interact in banter vignettes), I think you'll enjoy it quite a lot. Each of the eight stories has a wildly different tone and theme — from the vengeful noble-turned-sex worker, to the intrepid merchant girl, to the traveling doctor who grapples with the morality of his craft, etc. — so there's something for everyone.

Octopath also has a demo available, so you can try it out yourself.

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The core problem of the story is the story is made of 8 different ministories that don't intersect at all. If you pick, for example, Primrose as your starting character you will start the game with the first chapter of her story, and despite being able to recruit the other 7 characters before finishing it none of the other will interact with Primrose at all no matter what happens in the story (there are some egregius examples like at one point the other party members just stay put and look at the protagonist of the chapter getting beat up or similar without moving a muscle). It feelsl ike they wanted to do something like Live-A-Live but without self containing all the different stories, and it didn't really work

But I still liked the game, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. On the other hand Setsuna is, quite literally, awful in every regard. No one shuld play it

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is kinda like asking what to get between Mario Odyssey and Yooka Laylee.
I mean I like YL but I'm never choosing it over Odyssey.
Just get Octopath, it's everything Setsuna wanted to be anyway.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Octopath is a nice time. Definitely worth a grab but on the other side, god, do I love the I am Setsuna soundtrack. So chill and nice and the game isn't terrible either. Also much shorter if you want a smaller experience.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Setsuna is the blandest JRPG Ive ever played. Charming at first but a pretty soulless and uninteresting game overall.
And the story is basically Final Fantasy X.

Octopath has some problems but it is 100x better than Setsuna.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I loved Octopath, and the stories do intersect, although not in an earth-shattering way and only if you pay attention and go for the actual final boss (which you should, if anything just to listen to that battle theme).

Oh and the soundtrack is outstanding in general.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
well this is a landslide so far, lol.

Approach it as a video game short story collection rather than an epic narrative. There are connecting strands between the stories that come together in the post game, but it's not the point of the game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath

Phenomenal soundtrack
Phenomenal battle system
and a strong identity since it differs from other offerings in a lot of interesting ways !

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I loved Octopath, my only issue is the true final boss required an insane grind and there wasn't a good path to max out. I think the highest level dungeon was level 59? Needed a few more dungeons.
Base game is awesome though

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Only played I am Setsuna. But stay away, that game is boring as hell. It definitely feels like it promises a lot more, but then nothing ever happens and it just keeps going.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Octopath. Easy choice. It's not perfect but it's miles better than Setsuna.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I agree that Octopath is a better overall game, but I'm surprised at the people picking it over Setsuna in the story department. Sure, I Am Setsuna is basically FFX-but-in-snow, but it's still more interesting plot wise than what I experienced in Octopath.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I am Setsuna is disappointing, and the only thing that makes it even a little remarkable is the piano OST.

Octopath is pretty much the one to get out of the two.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am Setsuna is a bland, middle of the road RPG that never should have been compared to Chrono Trigger in any way.

Octopath

Joei

Feb 3, 2018
For what's it worth, I played the demo of OT and had no interest in the game at all, but really enjoyed I Am Setsuna. 🤷‍♂️ The wallpaper for the game is still my background for my PS4 and the music was great in the game as well.

BulletClub

Oct 27, 2017
Man Octopath was really really good. You know the music in that game was what blew me away more than anything else. It really came out of nowhere, and I still listen to it.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Am I insane to say I Am Setsuna? I liked it's vibes more than Octopath. Was fun to play by the fireplace during winter.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Setsuna has a really nice piano piece.

I was excited when it looked like Setsuna would let me be an asshole, but it turned into the "But thou must!" loop when I chose the "wrong" option.

As other have said, don't go into Octopath expecting the stories to intertwine.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Octopath, without a doubt. Setsuna isn't a bad game by any means, but Octopath is just way better in pretty much every way — certainly in the three categories you listed. It also happens to have one of the best soundtracks of all time, which is a *huge* plus depending on how much you care about music.

The main issue with Octopath from a narrative perspective is that the characters' stories are very individualized and, as such, the characters very rarely interact as fellow party members/travelers and mainly just react to the things that happen in their own story. It's kind of immersion-breaking, but that's about as far as it went for me in terms of negative impact.

But, as others have said, there is a demo of Octopath available so try that out first and see how you feel to arm yourself with some knowledge and context going into the choice.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath wins all three categories you listed.

I enjoyed I am Setsuna, but it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.