• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
In my part of Germany it has become rare to spot a cute European ladybug.
marienkaefer-128~_v-img__16__9__l_-1dc0e8f74459dd04c91a0d45af4972b9069f1135.jpg

When you think you spot one these days it's usually the Asian variant - they stink when they're threatened and to make them more endearing, they're cannibals, too, eating their Euro brothers.
sz.1.1800694

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
In my part of Germany it has become rare to spot a cute European ladybug.
marienkaefer-128~_v-img__16__9__l_-1dc0e8f74459dd04c91a0d45af4972b9069f1135.jpg

When you think you spot one these days it's usually the Asian variant - they stink when they're threatened and to make them more endearing, they're cannibals, too, eating their Euro brothers.
sz.1.1800694

I sometimes see the orange ones, but moreso the red. I wonder if the European ones have more pronounced spots? The ones on West Coast NA have almost like blurry spots, only a few large ones, or sometimes none at all! I used to see reverse ones too, black shells with red spots, but not since I was a kid. This one tree was always covered in aphids, so I'd see all types on it.

For the first time this year I saw ladybug pupas. I had never seen even the larvaes before, and this one brick wall during one of my walks, was covered in them! All in different stages.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
*Does ladybug research* TIL that certain types have been spreading around STDs... huh...

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I have lived at the same house for several years now but since this Summer I have been seeing these really weird insects that I have never seen before. Before anyone asks, I don't have any pics. But I've seen a few very large looking beetles, a giant ass spider, flies that look like they're on steroids. I'm not sure what's going on

Are you in Eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania, or northern West Virginia? Cicada Brood VIII would have shown up this year and they only come around every 17 years.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Is this what you are seeing?
images

I had never in my 30 years seen one of these things, and then about 4 or 5 years ago they just exploded and now they are every where.
Fuckin Stink bugs. Lived in GA my whole life and never saw a single one. A few years ago they started popping up everywhere. Hate em. One landed on my neck once and I instinctively smacked it. Had a chemical burn on my neck for weeks after that. Bought an electric fly swatter for taking them out. So damn satisfying.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The asian lady beetles that swarmed all over the north eastern US (Probably other parts as well?) about a decade or more ago.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Fuckin Stink bugs. Lived in GA my whole life and never saw a single one. A few years ago they started popping up everywhere. Hate em. One landed on my neck once and I instinctively smacked it. Had a chemical burn on my neck for weeks after that. Bought an electric fly swatter for taking them out. So damn satisfying.

Michigan, as well as the majority of states I'm sure, have become overwhelmed with these fucking stinkbugs.

Surprisingly though, this is the time of year I'd find them inside and they were more and more frequent over the last 3 or 4 years.... and now, I've seen 1. I didn't do anything to impede them like sealing cracks and stuff, so hopefully they're all dying in the blizzard outside right now.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Michigan, as well as the majority of states I'm sure, have become overwhelmed with these fucking stinkbugs.

Surprisingly though, this is the time of year I'd find them inside and they were more and more frequent over the last 3 or 4 years.... and now, I've seen 1. I didn't do anything to impede them like sealing cracks and stuff, so hopefully they're all dying in the blizzard outside right now.
Kill em all. Only good stink bug is a dead stink bug.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I think I had some this summer. are they a pest?

Stinkbugs are definitely pests as they can and will destroy plants/crops. They don't like the cold (as they're originally from Asia) so they're coming inside for refuge from the elements.

They're harmless toward people, but they buzz my daughter in her room at night and scare the shit out of her.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Stinkbugs are definitely pests as they can and will destroy plants/crops. They don't like the cold (as they're originally from Asia) so they're coming inside for refuge from the elements.

They're harmless toward people, but they buzz my daughter in her room at night and scare the shit out of her.
Thanks, will keep in mind if I see some again.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
In Alabama.

Damnable stink bugs get inside EVERY DAY, no matter what. Always have a cup and a post card handy to scoop them up and toss them back out.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I have also noticed new bugs in southern Oregon that I don't remember ever seeing. Clouds of tiny little gnats with white wings. They look like pollen lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't noticed any new insects up here in Canada :D

Pseudoscorpion? They're cool. It's an arachnid, not a bug.
472273_5774389ad4b747dfa2956259da427937~mv2.webp

Still a bug (aka: any kind of small creepy-crawly). Not an insect, but arachnids are still "bugs".

Edit: Looks like the official definition is actually VERY narrow, but no one ever uses the proper meaning.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone got an idea what this thing might be? Completely new to me. It was maybe an inch and a half in length.

20191111_184955q5kzj.jpg

Yes, I know the photo is shit. It was dark and I was in a rush. I thought maybe some sort of massive ant?

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Anyone got an idea what this thing might be? Completely new to me. It was maybe an inch and a half in length.

20191111_184955q5kzj.jpg

Yes, I know the photo is shit. It was dark and I was in a rush. I thought maybe some sort of massive ant?
Looks like a rove beetle (Staphylinidae family)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what you are seeing?
images

I had never in my 30 years seen one of these things, and then about 4 or 5 years ago they just exploded and now they are every where.
Ooo, stink bugs! We got them here in SoCali too. Like others have said, I've gone years not seeing them, then, echoing everybody else, they showed up about half-a-decade ago and come at the tail-end of Summer and into Fall (yes, we have them RIGHT NOW). My wife's scared of them, and for the longest time, I didn't know what kind of bugs they were. They are always crawling on our window screens. But, other than that, they haven't bothered us.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I've been seeing a lot of huge spiders here in GA. I've lived here for about ten years and but never seen these big red and white ones before. I believe they are woodlouse spiders. I sprayed one that was right outside of the window of my house and it came after me.

pcspiders_clip_image020.jpg

Also been seeing a ton of jumping spiders in the house. Spotted a brown recluse in the house that I had to hunt down and kill. I first spotted it outside and left it alone. Later in the week it made its way into the house so it had to die.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Still a bug (aka: any kind of small creepy-crawly). Not an insect, but arachnids are still "bugs".

Edit: Looks like the official definition is actually VERY narrow, but no one ever uses the proper meaning.
Arthropoda ---> arachnida, insecta, other shit (uhhhh Myriapoda (centipedes, etc), .....)

Under Insecta: Hymenoptera (bees/ants/wasps), Coleoptera (beetles), Hemiptera (bugs), Lepidoptera (butterflies/moths), diptera (flies), etc...

I use the proper meaning because it is better and more appropriate.
Bugs have membranous wings and a rostrum, ie. a needle like mouth for sucking
As opposed to coleoptera which has the hard shell over their wings, ie. ladybugs, hercules beetle. And they have mandibles I believe

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I remember up in BC finding one of these guys as a kid:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-lined_June_beetle

Was a big boy at like 2 inches long (it felt like), and yes it did hiss at me when I picked it up. Never seen one of them again...
They're around. Try getting hit by one on a bike happened to a friend. Like a golf ball . What we are getting I see is a resurgence of wasps hanging around longer and fucking ticks. They're everywhere now the deer are covered in them

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Arthropoda ---> arachnida, insecta, other shit (uhhhh Myriapoda (centipedes, etc), .....)

Under Insecta: Hymenoptera (bees/ants/wasps), Coleoptera (beetles), Hemiptera (bugs), Lepidoptera (butterflies/moths), diptera (flies), etc...

I use the proper meaning because it is better and more appropriate.
Bugs have membranous wings and a rostrum, ie. a needle like mouth for sucking
As opposed to coleoptera which has the hard shell over their wings, ie. ladybugs, hercules beetle. And they have mandibles I believe

It's still a bit too much... Just easier to use it as a generic umbrella term for "creepy-crawlies" or "the various invertebrates that crawl/fly around my house".

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Can relate. My house suddenly has these little ant looking things that flies and I can't seem to identify it. They're everywhere 🤦🏻‍♀️

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's still a bit too much... Just easier to use it as a generic umbrella term for "creepy-crawlies" or "the various invertebrates that crawl/fly around my house".
I don't like willful ignorance under any guise. It's not easier.

You probably wouldn't start calling all birds a goose. Why is that? Could there be some misconceptions about arthropods because people only refer to them as bugs? What kind of damage can that do? How can reputation affect our perception?