• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
And I am not sure how I feel about it. As a lifelong southerner in the US it's nothing new. But I'm starting to see people, white black hispanic and asian, waltzing around with a glock or something on their waist in suburbia. I'm talking while walking their dogs or checking the mail. This wasn't normal even just two years ago.

I dearly hope Trump loses so we can return back to a normal, Democratic party led future for eight years again.

Virginia Beach, Virginia by the way. Anyone else seeing this trend in their area?

Edit: oops wrong forum, made request for a move

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Wrong side, and also - as long as Democrats refuse to do something about police brutality, and hold the rot to account, I doubt things will change. I hope they will, but I don't believe it for a second.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The uSA is gone crazy, when you know what place you are talking without having to read anything but the subject.

Verhai

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you have people roaming around burning places down and out in the freeways with guns why would you not carry a gun with with you.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
They really should just separate Northern VA from the rest of the state. I have never seen anyone open carry in my area ever in my 30 years of living here. THat includes MD and DC. The handful of times Ive driven down south VA and NC always gives me strange vibes that Im in another country.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
As weird as it is to say I've been thinking about getting a gun too. Kind of afraid of the GOP and am like well if they're doing it, maybe I should too. Shitty mentality, but the current state of the US is really frightening

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
How does this not scare the hell out of people?

I honestly could not live in the USA because of this.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get nervous as hell when I see cops with guns. Glad I live in a state where I don't see tons of guns around.

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
They really should just separate Northern VA from the rest of the state. I have never seen anyone open carry in my area ever in my 30 years of living here. THat includes MD and DC. The handful of times Ive driven down south VA and NC always gives me strange vibes that Im in another country.

Yea NOVA is a different place entirely. I like visiting my friends in Richmond and thereabouts, reminds me the entire state isn't bad.

Hampton Roads isn't terrible, but live in Va Beach for several years and you start to see the subtle differences.

As foreign as it sounds to many, living in the south of the US one just gets used to it. I've mentioned it here before but this place is right down the street from me - something straight out of a GTA game: https://freedomshootingcenter.com

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
And I am not sure how I feel about it. As a lifelong southerner in the US it's nothing new. But I'm starting to see people, white black hispanic and asian, waltzing around with a glock or something on their waist in suburbia. I'm talking while walking their dogs or checking the mail. This wasn't normal even just two years ago.

I dearly hope Trump loses so we can return back to a normal, Democratic party led future for eight years again.

Virginia Beach, Virginia by the way. Anyone else seeing this trend in their area?

Edit: oops wrong forum, made request for a move
The guns aren't going to vanish into thin air if Trump loses. People will still have them. Republicans will buy more.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Saw it at the beach a couple of weeks ago. Just a couple of guys hanging out by the entry area cleaning their guns. This is in the PNW. New experience for me

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Trumpism. I would never have gotten a gun five years ago, now only thing stopping me is I am in NYC proper. If I move (like im mulling) Im buying one right after my new furniture.

It fucking sucks, and at the end of the day it feels its basically rewarding gun manufacturer shenanigans. I struggle with it

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

Yeah, US was one of the countries where i thought i could move to when i was younger but not anymore. Having to fear that someone has a very bad day and a gun when i accidently cut him on the highway is not something I would like to live with (i understand that it's not everywhere the same with different gun laws across states, still...)

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I live in the south as well, but I haven't noticed any influx of gun carriers.

I'm guessing it will vary by area. Here in yuppieville it will be more noticeable. Starbucks coffee cups used to be what one would expect to see someone carrying while they shopped for a $3,000 puppy at Pet-Go-Round. Now that family is tickling a Pekingese with an AR-15 strapped to pop duke's back.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
fuck the NRA.

this is their fucking influence.

fuck em

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I was terrified by the thought of visiting the States as a kid because of gun culture, I can't even imagine how uncomfortable it would make me now.

Oct 3, 2019
I know people are freaked out right now, but it doesn't change the fact that owning a gun doesn't make your day to day life more safe, in fact it does the opposite. Don't fall for gun nut logic because you're scared.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing it will vary by area. Here in yuppieville it will be more noticeable. Starbucks coffee cups used to be what one would expect to see someone carrying while they shopped for a $3,000 puppy at Pet-Go-Round. Now that family is tickling a Pekingese with an AR-15 strapped to pop duke's back.

lol wtf. That's some rich ass people too.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
In the UK I get weirded or when I see the police carrying guns, since they aren't typically armed.
I wouldnt like to live in an area where its was legal for the general public to carry guns.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
fuck the NRA.

this is their fucking influence.

fuck em

Nah, it's beyond that. People are scared, faith in the police and institutions are at all time lows. A lot of people are in denial, but if you're watching closely, you see what's in the air. Violence, hatred and rage are coming and people want to be ready.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very grateful to live in NY where our states gun laws don't allow that shit. It's also very hard to get a concealed carry license so most everyone's guns stay where they belong, in their homes.

What does worry me is Trump getting to appoint another couple of judges who will rule that state's have to accept other states gun laws because then you're gonna have all types of assholes getting Florida permits or some shit and being allowed to open carry, that scares me

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the Puget Sound area and saw someone for the first time walking around with a gun at his waist about a year ago. We were at the grocery store. All I could think was, "Dude, what are you possibly so scared of?"

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Neither are good, but it's better than concealed carry. At least with open carry, you can see who to avoid.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Living in California seems like a completely different country sometimes. I've never seen anything like this in my life. It's so far removed from the culture I experience every day. Not that gun culture doesn't affect us to a significant degree as well but the idea of seeing a bunch of people open carrying in public is foreign to me.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Yea NOVA is a different place entirely. I like visiting my friends in Richmond and thereabouts, reminds me the entire state isn't bad.

Hampton Roads isn't terrible, but live in Va Beach for several years and you start to see the subtle differences.

As foreign as it sounds to many, living in the south of the US one just gets used to it. I've mentioned it here before but this place is right down the street from me - something straight out of a GTA game: https://freedomshootingcenter.com

Gun shooting gallery doesn't sound too bad as it can teach gun safety. But it does suck that a lot of people also seem to be carrying a lot nearby too.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Nah, it's beyond that. People are scared, faith in the police and institutions are at all time lows. A lot of people are in denial, but if you're watching closely, you see what's in the air. Violence, hatred and rage are coming and people want to be ready.
The NRA is the weakest it has ever been. This is the combination of pandemic scarcity, people not trusting police, and fear of riots/looting.

although they are at their weakest right now, there is no denying that their influence in gun lobbying is the reason why there are mass slaughter every so often. people can express rage and violence and can also protect themselves in many ways, the NRA actively fights to enable them to "protect themselves" using guns

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's not hard to imagine people that would have never even wanted a gun getting one this year. When so many people in all kinds of positions both powerful and not are just looking for a reason to attack you people are going to want a way to believe they can defend themselves, getting a gun in the US is a breeze so it's easy access.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
America has really lost its mind.

Not sure what the fuck it is going to take for people to stop being so divided and crazy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
although they are at their weakest right now, there is no denying that their influence in gun lobbying is the reason why there are mass slaughter every so often. people can express rage and violence and can also protect themselves in many ways, the NRA actively fights to enable them to "protect themselves" using guns
Putting aside the zeitgeist of the moment, just grabbing the number of mass shootings in the US from Wikipedia. The definition they took is " "an incident where four or more people are shot in a single shooting spree. This may include the shooter themself, or police shootings of civilians around the shooter."

2020 - 417 shootings
2019 - 434 shootings
2017 - 232 shootings

Violence causes fear and political tensions, fear and political tensions cause people to rush to get more guns, guns make money for the gun manufacturers and enable more violence. Occasionally one violent incident or another gets traction in the news, but it's a much wider problem that's already been normalized.