• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I found the controls to be excellent on kB/m but I've heard horror stories about playing this with a controller.
It's a shame because it's actually an excellent game all told
Exactly. On KBM running and gunning around, scopes on and off, switching weapons, jumping between ADS and hip fire is excellent.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sorry if this off topic, but that courtroom scene was complete bullshit. Almost made me quit the game. It was so bad.

Last edited:

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I didn't think it was a very good game, I thought the level design was really poor, but for me the gunplay was excellent and what kept me playing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's been said a thousand times on this forum that the gameplay of TNC is not good. I have no idea how they managed to screw it up so badly and how it reviewed so highly.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dont have really issues with the controls tho. Its just more the impact of things and the crazy zoom etc.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I had the problem with the first game playing on PS4. I ended up getting TNC on PC and enjoyed it a lot more than I did the original.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Level design is terrible, it only got fun for me near the end when I had all upgrades. I even jacked the difficulty back up on Hard and went akimbo on everything. Too bad you feel largely underpowered in the game, also narratively this is the case.

TNC should've followed the Doom template, but then with Nazis.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
I played it on PC and felt the aiming was fine. Some fire fights were kind of a pain to deal with but I managed to get through it.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I had the same problem playing the game on ps4 with controller. I played it recently on PC with M/ KB and it was much better.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
It's hard to tell when you are getting hit sometimes. The difficulty curve is kind of fucked in this game. I still liked it though.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Both recent Wolf games have the worst weapon audio I've heard in a modern game. There's straight up zero sense of impact or weight to the guns

I hope Arkane can fix up those issues for Youngblood

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's been said a thousand times on this forum that the gameplay of TNC is not good. I have no idea how they managed to screw it up so badly and how it reviewed so highly.

Seriously. Entire thread is pretty unanimously ripping core parts of the entire game apart, yet...88 metacritic.

Absolutely ridiculous.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah OP, I'm with you. I'm a fan of a strong but fair challenge in FPSs. Play my Halo's on Legendary. But Wolf 2 was no fun when it was difficult. Felt like a chore. Just turn down the difficulty and play through it as an ass kicker. Watch the insane story unfold.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
This game is proof that satisfying, impactful shooting is far more than just blood and gore. Limbs and heads get blown off regularly and gibs are plentiful, but the enemies still feel hollow and weightless. No sense of slugs hitting mass, just viscera spraying everywhere. The only kills that feel impactful are the axe executions.

I also felt that the whole mix-and-match approach to the dual weilding system made things needlessly convoluted. "No, I didn't want a silenced pistol in one hand and the shotgun in the other, I just wanted to... no, no, not just a single... Ah, screw it - constant dual shotguns it is."

Throw in level design that has to accommodate three different physical upgrades, and the whole experience feels like Machine Games just tried to do too much to one-up themselves.

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this is just one of those games that can be two completely different gaming experiences depending on if you are playing on pc vs console/controller vs kbm.

The courtroom battle for instance, is widely regarded as unfairly difficult, this isn't the case at all on pc, it's no harder than your average gore nest encounter in Doom 2016, the ability to run and hipfire with extreme accuracy means you're rarely ever getting hit, where on console I've seen footage of people playing that encounter slowly, trying to ADS in the open while getting unloaded on from every direction since hipfire isn't nearly as valuable.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Ohhh didn't know it was Arkane making youngblood. Interesting !
No, it's still primarily being developed by MachineGames with Arkane Lyon assisting in creating an 'open-ended' gameplay style similar to the Dishonored games.

I think players will see a lot of similarities to level design in the Dishonored games, so in that sense it can be a little bit different as an experience but it can be for the benefit of the game, especially when it comes to finding different ways of approaching a combat scenario or a mission in general.

"The open-ended structure and co-op aspect has made it a little more difficult when it comes to the narrative. We do think we have a strong story, but it's quite different from what we have done before; it's a little bit lighter, not only in tone but also when it comes to the amount of content, and I think that's the big change when it comes to previous titles: the campaign is a bit shorter but the amount of gameplay time is greater.

"Players will be able to stay in the game for a long time," he added. "We'll add additional side-missions and new challenges once the campaign is completed. There's a lot more activities and side-missions that you can do in Wolfenstein: Youngblood than in previous Wolfenstein games."

https://wccftech.com/wolfenstein-youngblood-lots-similarities-dishonored-games/

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah this is just one of those games that can be two completely different gaming experiences depending on if you are playing on pc vs console/controller vs kbm.

The courtroom battle for instance, is widely regarded as unfairly difficult, this isn't the case at all on pc, it's no harder than your average gore nest encounter in Doom 2016, the ability to run and hipfire with extreme accuracy means you're rarely ever getting hit, where on console I've seen footage of people playing that encounter slowly, trying to ADS in the open while getting unloaded on from every direction since hipfire isn't nearly as valuable.

Playing it on PC doesn't fix the core issues of the game, it just makes the aiming faster. It still has awful sound mixing, non existent hit reactions, poor damage indicators, the level design is still crap and your health still drops to nothing in seconds.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Try lowering the difficulty. Maybe it would feel better than.

For me personally, I played the first and DOOM on Nightmare, but couldn't get through this one on anything higher than the normal difficulty. Something felt off, indeed.
Did you play at release or post-patch? At launch, the damage indication was totally off and you'd seemingly just die for no reason, but they really improved it when I played through it a second time.

Definitely not a game that I'd play through on a high difficulty though.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Try lowering the difficulty. Maybe it would feel better than.

For me personally, I played the first and DOOM on Nightmare, but couldn't get through this one on anything higher than the normal difficulty. Something felt off, indeed.
Same here, beat TNO on the hardest difficulty, but played TNC on easy and enjoyed it well enough. The harder difficulties just weren't fun in TNC

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I just don't get these complaints.

The guns feel like they have a solid heft to them, they have actual recoil and the hit reactions are absolutely fine.

I'd suggest lowering the difficulty if you find yourself dying too quickly.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The whole game is odd OP. I've said numerous times that the new wolf's biggest issue is being unsure what style it wants to be. It gives you whiplash on how often it jerks back and forth on wanting to be Doom 2016 or something more slow and methodical. The controls definitely play a part into that.

I'm hoping Youngblood finally finds the right balance in all aspects.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The whole game is odd OP. I've said numerous times that the new wolf's biggest issue is being unsure what style it wants to be. It gives you whiplash on how often it jerks back and forth on wanting to be Doom 2016 or something more slow and methodical. The controls definitely play a part into that.

I'm hoping Youngblood finally finds the right balance in all aspects.
So uhh any idea why this thread got merged with a Netflix film thread? Haha

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
There was an error in merging threads, apologies. We'll sort it out in a sec.

Y'all saw nothing. 'Cause absolutely nothing happened here. Move along now! 👀

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It definitely doesn't feel as tight as the original game. I went back to my playthrough of The Old Blood after I finished TNC and the shooting just felt so much more snappy after playing it. It gave me a new appreciation for the original game's gunplay.

Nov 8, 2017
Just dual wield the AR and focus on eliminating enemies fast. If you can upgrade it with more powerful ammo early it helps.

I thought the weapons mostly felt and sounded great. It was only heavies that didn't react satisfyingly to being shot. *shrug*

I played through it on PC at launch then again on Switch when that came out. They'd patched the difficulty so even on 30fps with joycons I didn't find it unbearable to play and even the courthouse didn't wreck me like it did on PC at launch.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I had the same problem with this game that I had with Neir. All the buzz I heard was how amazing the game was... except for the gameplay. I bought and tried both but couldn't force myself to play through either of them to get to the cool stuff.

The best I can do is respect them from afar.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man just put it on easy and melee kill like 90% of the enemies. Much more fun that way. I didn't like the gunplay either, hitboxes were shit.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
This game gets 10x better when you play on easy mode. The gunplay becomes more forgiving and firefights are a lot more fun to go through.
Agreed, and to me in a way it kinda fit the story more as BJ is supposed to be this unstoppable killing machine. You don't get that feeling after repeating a checkpoint for the 10th time because you drop in seconds while every enemy is a sponge. I made it halfway through the game on Hard before getting stuck in one sequence for over and hour, turned it down to Easy, and had an overall way better experience.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I had the same problem with this game that I had with Neir. All the buzz I heard was how amazing the game was... except for the gameplay. I bought and tried both but couldn't force myself to play through either of them to get to the cool stuff.

The best I can do is respect them from afar.

To be honest the story isn't even particularly good, too much zany fluff and shocks for the sake of it to the point if feels ridiculous even by Wolfenstein standards. The environments in the latter half of the game are a huge let down too, I kept expecting to see cool stuff but it never happened.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful and a huge step down from TNO and TOB, even on m/kb. Play Rage 2, it's the high-action Bethesda shooter we should have gotten with TNC.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It was a massive disappointment going from Doom 2016 to W:NC. The shooting mechanics shouldn't be that mediocre in an Id game. Hopefully this issue will be fixed in Youngblood.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the game, thought the gunplay felt excellent, and didn't find it difficult at all (and I'm not normally great at shooters). Basically, I agree with the critic reviews and am totally perplexed by the player backlash.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It was a massive disappointment going from Doom 2016 to W:NC. The shooting mechanics shouldn't be that mediocre in an Id game. Hopefully this issue will be fixed in Youngblood.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus isn't an id Software game... It was developed by MachineGames up in Sweden.

Nov 8, 2017
I loved the game, thought the gunplay felt excellent, and didn't find it difficult at all (and I'm not normally great at shooters). Basically, I agree with the critic reviews and am totally perplexed by the player backlash.

Yeah every thread I'm just sitting here on planet fuck wondering what's going on. In the last 18 months I've seen threads where (numerous) people have stated that effectively every aspect of the game as being awful except the graphics.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Play it on easy. I do think this game is a massive step back from both The New Order and The Old Blood in terms of level design and pacing, but I think the shooting is actually one of the things that the game does well.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought this game had bad combat and level design, which is too bad because I enjoyed the first Wolfenstein reboot. Hopefully they get it right in the next one.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
It's been a while since I played the first game, but I feel like this one feels different. I adored the first game, but this one isn't quite doing it for me.

Can anyone who has played both recently comment on this? Do they feel different? Or are they exactly the same and I've just gotten worse at games?