• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It just doesnt feel good? More people have that problem?
The shooting just lacks weight, the sights are all over the place when you shoot and you loose the enemy that way. Enemies dont react great also on shots and when you get shot it lacks impact also and you are suddenly dead.
I wasnt expecting this. Its not that i expected Doom but you would think this would atleast feel good to shoot.

Playing on console.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This game gets 10x better when you play on easy mode. The gunplay becomes more forgiving and firefights are a lot more fun to go through.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah, I had a real hard time adjusting to it. It just didn't feel like I could accurately shoot anything :(

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Try lowering the difficulty. Maybe it would feel better than.

For me personally, I played the first and DOOM on Nightmare, but couldn't get through this one on anything higher than the normal difficulty. Something felt off, indeed.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I thought it was serviceable on mouse and keyboard. I do agree that the game doesn't do a good job of letting you know that you're getting shot and from where.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play it on easy.

It doesnt magically make the gunplay good but at least you die less. The difficulty curve is still all over the place though. Parts will still kick your butt on easy

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I played on console and what bugged me was that it's a game where I very much feel I should be firing from the hip, but aim assist only really kicks in when you go down the sights. But most of the time I didn't want to do that. So I'd just flail around missing shots instead.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Put it on easy and just blast through a fun story. Level Design isn't worth the hassle in that game.

Oct 25, 2017
On a gamepad at least it doesn't feel as good as the previous games. Switched over to PC for that one and enjoyed myself quite a bit. Have yet to play TNO or TOB on PC to make a comparison there though.
It's a weird situation, as I couldn't put my finger on why it felt different/worse.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I wasn't a fan of the game overall. The shooting did indeed lacked presence and weight I felt, particularly with limp audio to help craft the illusion of impact when the visual connection didn't impress.

Beyond that, the level layouts, secrets, and discovery were a dramatic step down from Wolf 1. I just came away very unimpressed from the game overall as an FPS experience.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The shooting just lacks weight, the sights are all over the place when you shoot and you loose the enemy that way. Enemies dont react great also on shots and when you get shot it lacks impact also and you are suddenly dead.
I wasnt expecting this. Its not that i expected Doom but you would think this would atleast feel good to shoot.
You should say what youre playing it on. I played a demo of it on PC and it was smooth, though i was using the Steam controller.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I hated how inaccurate the guns felt in New Colossus. For a game that ask for a lot of stealth, I felt most of the time I was prying to land a silent headshot into a solder to not alert everyone.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't like TNC's gameplay at all, the level design was meh and the movement always felt like it was designed for run and gun but anything above normal punishes you extremely hard for it, plus the game was pretty awful at letting you know when you got hit, at least at launch.

my recommendation is to lower the difficulty and just run and gun. It's way more fun that way

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Certain guns don't feel great. I loved the shotgun and the SMG once you do the nail gun upgrade.

That main assault rifle feels like shit to me, the iron sight sucks too. The pistol feels like beginner repeater in Borderlands.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Really liked it on Switch, the gameplay feels great, and the gyro is of course awesome, but it also plays well without it. Even if the game does have some problems with level design, I always thought the movement itself was excellent.

Maybe it's something related to sensitivity?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I had the same issue with the game when I played it on a PS4 Pro. Something is very off with the movement and weight of the game. Messing with the sensitivity helped a little. I had just recently played wolfenstein the new order as well, and that game didn't have these issue.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Same. And add on top of that stupid level design. I stuck on first levels and due frustration didn't continue playing it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can't understand people saying Wolf2's gunplay doesn't have weight. I'm feeling every gunshot in my heart as the recoil makes the guns fill up half the screen

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Had the same experience with both the new Wolfenstein games.

All the guns feel feeble as hell. Like I'm just clicking on guys until they kinda give up and flop over.

It's hard to tell I'm being hit without staring at the health gauge. Then I fall over mid fight and I'm like, "Wait, I was being shot there"?

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The first game is a bit less ambitious when it came to gameplay and level design....but it all worked. TNC just fucks with everything for no good reason.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
All of MachineGames' Wolfensteins would benefit from making it more obvious that you're taking damage from hitscan weapons, but it never bothered me too much.

Like, in DOOM you know you just got hit by a fireball, because you saw this big flaming ball coming at you from across the room, not so much with assault rifle rounds.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The gunplay in the new Wolfenstein games (played on PS4) has always sat poorly with me. It looks cool, but the feel and enemy feedback... not so great. Find myself playing more for the story.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

Playing on console.
The game is not good, just like the first. I never understood the hype about those two games. They are highly mediocre FPS.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its actually a common criticism OP when it was released on forums. I am not a gameplay first person and I thought the first Wolfie was the best game the year it released. But this one , immediately something felt off when i started playing. Like the level design being a cluster fuck, the gunplay never really felt good , its just such a missed opportunity when they had such a solid base with first one

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Take it down to easy and experience the story and characters (which I thought were awful anyway).

But yeah, the game is not worth the hassle of powering through its bullshit. The ADS sights are atrocious and take too much screen space when aiming and should have been taken out of the game since they serve no practical purpose, your guns are accurate anyway hip-firing and engagement distances are always short to mid range. Enemies blend with environments which makes it hard to discern them min-engagements (You're gonna have a lot of "Who the fuck just shot me?!" moments)

Regarding your point on enemy reaction, the bizarre thing is that enemies in TNO/TNB are much easier to trigger a stun state when shot than in TNC for some reason. You'd think that aspect would get improved in a sequel not worse.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
We've had many topics about this exact thing. The gameplay part of this game, especially the feedback when you get shot, is terrible. I played the first game literally just a few days before this came out, to catch up, and the difference in how it feels is incredibly jarring.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on PC, with a KB/m and everything you said OP is what the issue with new Wolfenstein 1 and 2 has been for me as well and pretty much everyone who has had any issue with the game. The sight jumps in a very awkward way (yea I know some will say don't use sights and I don't but sometimes I do so what gives?). Their hit feedback for getting hit and hitting enemy is absolutely horrible. The game is full of "but I was full healthy how did I die in one shot?" moments. Wolf 2 more than Wolf 1.

With Wolf 2 it's also the level design (badly placed designed paths) and encounter design (tons of commanders breaking the pace) that suffers with issues so that's another problem.

The story and voice acting is the only reason I like these games as they are exceptional. Though Wolf 2 has issues even in that area

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I found the controls to be excellent on kB/m but I've heard horror stories about playing this with a controller.
It's a shame because it's actually an excellent game all told

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Also, put all of your upgrades into the assault rifle, the armour piercing upgrade in particular turns you into a true terror Billy

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just play it on easy.

The combination of the mechanics, level design and encounter design is not good.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
heard the gunplay complaints so many times i refuse to nab the game unless it's under $20 or something. like how do you fudge that aspect in wolfenstein

re-installed TNO some time ago and didn't particularly care for it there either. i remember liking the game but that was before the nu old school revival caught on, guess i was too enamored with playing a no nonsense SP shooter to really notice

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This game gets 10x better when you play on easy mode. The gunplay becomes more forgiving and firefights are a lot more fun to go through.
This. Between this, DOOM 2016 and Rage 2, I think W2 has the weakest combat and shooting by far.

That said, I still enjoyed the game (on easy) and really loved the story aspect.

Oct 29, 2017
Played on XB1X and it was just fine for me. Really liked the shotgun too, felt really satisfying to run up to fools and blast them

I didn't even upgrade anything in the game because I honestly forgot lol

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
There is something slightly off by the way the player interacts with the environment. Probably has something to do with you now actually having a physical body in the game world. Never felt 100% right.

The fact that the game is very unforgiving in the first half might have something to do with it. Makes issues like that more noticeable.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Blasted through it on easy and it was refreshing to feel powerful. What annoyed me was the lack of ammo and having to figure out the level design many times (no more than 2 minutes being stuck though) which didn't happen in Doom on Easy.

Lovely campaign, I couldn't put it down because of the story, gunplay was serviceable.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Felt like a chore which is odd because they previous title felt ok. I never got around to finishing it because of this.