• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Sony been clear on how your old games will work?

• Yes

Votes: 352 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,002 74.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Disc upgrades have now been confirmed too I believe but now we know there's no cross save and this isn't the only game like that.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also Game saves.... I mean wasn't the whole point of Ps+ was to save your saves online? Surely Sony can transfer them over?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The save thing is particularly strange as they made such a big deal out of cross-save on PS Vita and PS3.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
1) They stated 99% on the 100 most popular titles, not 99% overall. And they've said they're clocking down the GPU to match Pro or the base 4 for compatibility, so there's no guarantee of any performance improvements.

Hahaha no that's not what they said

99% of 100 games? So 99 games lol

krg

Oct 27, 2017
if PS4 games work the same on PS5 (without enhancements) that would be a hard pill to swallow.
I mean The Last Guardian on base PS4 runs like utter trash. It desperately needs a 60 FPS mode and I'm not willing to pay for a PS5 upgrade, eff that.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Also Game saves.... I mean wasn't the whole point of Ps+ was to save your saves online? Surely Sony can transfer them over?
They will work on ps4 games on PS5.

Just not on games upgraded to the ps5 version as its a different product. Same as witcher and the complete edition or games from different regions.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Sony don't know yet themselves. Can't think of any other reason why they're quiet.

of course they know

the most plausible reason they are still quiet is:

a direct comparison with xbox would probably look bad..

So it is better/smarter marketing for sony to just not say or show anything for as long as possible (until launch i bet)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

I also want to know if there will be any cases where you can get reverse of an upgrade, "downgrades" I guess, as with Smart Delivery, where a game that is bought cross-gen gives both versions ie allows you to get the PS4 version if you bought the PS5 version, so there would actually be value in keeping old consoles for a different room for example. Seeing as save files don't transfer, I very much doubt this - but very much like that MS is doing this

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen DF's breakdown of XSX BC, I'm actually a bit more confident that I understand what Sony is doing.

I have to imagine that games with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolutions will run faster/higher-res. This squares with what Cerny said about testing games to run in "PS5 mode" with PS4/Pro modes as fallbacks in case of insurmountable issues. It also squares with Sony's brief PR about faster/smoother frame rates and higher resolutions.

Then, Richard went on to say that MS is also working on a solution for breaking through existing frame rate caps on select games without the need for any developer intervention. That is something I have no idea whether Sony will do and it feels like they won't, but it's too soon to really say.

So at this moment, it doesn't seem like the two platforms BC solutions are as disparate as I was thinking they were. MS has done some extra work on select games, and will continue to do that, and I hope Sony will match at least some of that effort.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
if PS4 games work the same on PS5 (without enhancements) that would be a hard pill to swallow.
I mean The Last Guardian on base PS4 runs like utter trash. It desperately needs a 60 FPS mode and I'm not willing to pay for a PS5 upgrade, eff that.

TLG I think its locked 30FPS. Chances on PS5, the 4K mode will be locked 30FPS. Currently on PS4 pro, it doesn't stay locked.
of course they know

the most plausible reason they are still quiet is:

a direct comparison with xbox would probably look bad..

So it is better/smarter marketing for sony to just not say or show anything for as long as possible (until launch i bet)
Nah. They likely have good stuff to show but are just choosing to withhold the information.

Likely want to have a one "big bang" show unlike MS who has been sharing details and the reveal of the box much earlier.

Sony just had bad PR team players right now. They have the goods just lacking a solid vision for messaging.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think I understand how the games themselves work now, but game saves are still a huge question mark and are going to be a huge issue if most of them aren't compatible with upgraded versions.

I'd also like details on the PS+ Collection, if they're yours to keep like other PS+ games or if it's a new rotating service like GP, PSNow... so many questions and Sony is being so bad/slow at explaining stuff.

Please read the rest of the thread. I don't need to apologize twice.
Fyi, you'd stop getting quotes if you updated your original post probably.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Based on the details we have so far, my guess for how BC and upgrades is going to work on PS5 is this:

If there are enhancements made to games, they must be made as a completely separate client from the original PS4 client. Developers will not be able to just patch current versions and have it run as the PS5 version. Publishers and developers are free to provide this whole new PS5 client to customers for free if they own the PS4 client. To my mind, this explains why cross-save presently doesn't work in some games — particularly in third party games... But we don't know details about upcoming cross-generation games like Horizon. Or how save transfers will work in games that already promised free next-gen upgrades later on, like Doom Eternal and Marvel's Avengers.

As far as allowing PS4 clients access to the additional spec boost of the PS5, I'm not sure to what extent Sony will permit that...

Yeah, "99% of PS4 games will just work" doesn't explain a whole lot.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I think this is likely due to default encryption or game/system/account verification methods being changed for save files. This is the only real technical reason I can think of, and I believe the PS4 save file format has already been broken for a couple years now.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
i feel like sony is not even trying to explain anything about it. cerny talk was fine for when it happened, 6 months ago
we're at 1 month from the launch and we haven't seen 1 game running on BC
which for me is one of the reasons why i'm not there day one.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha no that's not what they said

99% of 100 games? So 99 games lol

But that kinda IS what they said:

www.theverge.com

PS5 will support “almost all” of the top 100 PS4 games at launch

No need to say goodbye to your favorite games just yet.

Sony's next-gen console, PlayStation 5, will support nearly all of the top PlayStation 4 games at launch via backwards compatibility. In a presentation today, architect Mark Cerny said that results from the company's tests have been "excellent" on the new console. "We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5," Cerny says.

I get that it'll be more than those top 100 games, but also they haven't been very clear on a lot of things regarding the PS5.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
i feel like sony is not even trying to explain anything about it. cerny talk was fine for when it happened, 6 months ago
we're at 1 month from the launch and we haven't seen 1 game running on BC
which for me is one of the reasons why i'm not there day one.

To be fair, we haven't seen any SX games running on the SX either which is weirder to me. Both still need to show off a Lil more.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
But that kinda IS what they said:

www.theverge.com

PS5 will support “almost all” of the top 100 PS4 games at launch

No need to say goodbye to your favorite games just yet.

Sony's next-gen console, PlayStation 5, will support nearly all of the top PlayStation 4 games at launch via backwards compatibility. In a presentation today, architect Mark Cerny said that results from the company's tests have been "excellent" on the new console. "We recently took a look at the top 100 PlayStation 4 titles as ranked by playtime, and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5," Cerny says.

I get that it'll be more than those top 100 games, but also they haven't been very clear on a lot of things regarding the PS5.
This is a sample size. That's what this means. You all are taking this literally.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
To make it simple... here's what's free and you don't need a patch.

PS4 Games with inconsistent framerate....will run at its target framerate on the PS5

PS4 Game with dynamic resolution will run at its target resolution on the PS5

PS4 game with an uncapped framerate might reach above 60fps...up to maybe 120fps.

If you're expecting other benefits (or PS5 version), it's up to the developers to patch that PS4 game (or link access to PS5 version). Some of these will be free, some will be $10+.

Oct 30, 2017
1) They stated 99% on the 100 most popular titles, not 99% overall. And they've said they're clocking down the GPU to match Pro or the base 4 for compatibility, so there's no guarantee of any performance improvements.
No. Sony Tested Thousands of games and 99% are playable.

Mark Cerny was specifically talking about game logic with higher clocks. They said of the top 100 most played games, they expect them all to be pretty much playable with boosted clocks. They said their efforts in getting this to work have been "Excellent"

So if the top 100 games are running fine in boost mode, chances are that hundreds if not thousands of others are doing fine in boost mode, too. They aren't going back and altering game code. They are configuring the PS5 to handling PS4 game logic with improvements. So what works for 100 titles will likely work for many others, too.

Hell, PS4 to PS4 Pro Boost mode managed a substantial frame rate increase. See bloodborne when they uncap the frame rate. If PS5 Boost mode is as substantial or better than PS4 Pro Boost mode, then the results we are seeing on Xbox are likely quite similar.

Oct 30, 2017
If we have learned anything from Sony with how they release news, the lack of news is not necessarily an indication that a feature is missing. Sony just releases information whenever they feel like it.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Apologize if this has been answered prior; but has their been any word on cross saves? I know the Yakuza game and Spiderman will not be cross save (with their PS5 version, not the BC version), has any games been confirmed TO BE cross save?

Like Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, etc. Because If they aren't, might as well cancel my PS4 preorders and just wait for the PS5 version really.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Apologize if this has been answered prior; but has their been any word on cross saves? I know the Yakuza game and Spiderman will not be cross save (with their PS5 version, not the BC version), has any games been confirmed TO BE cross save?

Like Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, etc. Because If they aren't, might as well cancel my PS4 preorders and just wait for the PS5 version really.
Miles molaris is cross save just not the remaster

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen DF's breakdown of XSX BC, I'm actually a bit more confident that I understand what Sony is doing.

I have to imagine that games with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolutions will run faster/higher-res. This squares with what Cerny said about testing games to run in "PS5 mode" with PS4/Pro modes as fallbacks in case of insurmountable issues. It also squares with Sony's brief PR about faster/smoother frame rates and higher resolutions.
The thing with the Xbox games though is none of them have been specifically patched for Series X. The way DF explains it makes it sounds like those games, right not at least, are running on a theoretical 12TF Xbox One X. I think the hope is that, at minimum, BC PS4 games played on PS5 will play as if they're running on a hypothetical PS4Pro with 2x the GPU headroom.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jim said 99.00% of PS4 will work on PS5. As simple as that
If there is one man we can take at his word, it's Jim Ryan.

I'm not too worried as I'm mainly in for exclusives l which I'm assuming are all going to be treated as a priority. Although as someone who is yet to play Spiderman and owns a PS4 copy I'm a bit annoyed I'm going to have to pay 70 to get the newer version. The messaging and strategy is all over the place.