• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Sony been clear on how your old games will work?

• Yes

Votes: 352 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,002 74.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
TLOU2 getting a 60 FPS mode and minor graphical upgrades, along with many other first party games such as Bloodborne and *coughs Gravity Rush 2* would instantly sell me on the console. Yet, Sony is failing to confirm such things.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Man I have so many questions.

• Will a PS4 game bought on Disc or digital be BC on PS5 be upgraded with visuals or just running in PS4 emulated mode?
  • Will PS4 games be supported on PS5 is there is a PS5 remaster in the works?
  • Will their be a upgrade path for people who bought the PS4 Version to upgrade to a PS5 version if it is a paid remaster?
  • If I have a non definitive version of a game that I bought the DLC with, will they be playable on the PS5? or will I need to buy the game again?

I have no idea if games I bought will work now or not, with the latest Spider-Man news. While cross-gen games seem to be fine, the back catalogue of games is still very unclear on what is going on.

• Boost mode if it doesn't break the game, normal mode if it does.
  • Yes
  • Depends on the game/publisher
  • There's no reason not to.
Are we really that desperate to be Concerned™ now?

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Buy a PC. At least old games are on sale all the time. As a reference, PS3 and Vita PSN sales are great now.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
MRORANGE

I had similar questions to your first one which I'll quote below, but I imagine we won't know the answers until after launch. The rest of your questions though...they've said 99% of the games they tested will work, so I would imagine the base game would work but you would need to buy the remaster if there is one. The DLC would be backwards compatible because it would need to be downloaded again anyway, and it is all tied to your PSN account so you wouldn't need to go buy the Definitive Edition of anything. Unless its Control and you want the next-gen upgrades for it rather than just BC. I also haven't read all 5 pages because I don't have time for that.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere already...but do we know how the games will run? Obviously games that already have "Quality/Performance" modes will benefit but will it be identical to Pro performance or would you be able to do 1080p uncapped framerate up to 120? Would it still use checkerboarding 4k or would it push for native and 60hz? Games that are older and didn't receive a patch at all, what sort of performance boost are we talking here?

I don't own a Pro so I'm not knowledgeable on how it all works anyway. It could very well be that we won't know that level of detail until after launch, but seeing as Demon's Souls is the only launch title I feel is worth upgrading for (MM being on PS4 too reduces my reason to have a PS5 to play it) I still need to know a little bit more before I can justify $500+

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
I know ps4 games work on ps5 and I know external drives will work for ps4 games.

My question is will I be able to plug in play my current ps4 external drive into the ps5? I moved my whole library to it. Hate to re-download it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I think largely Sony will just leave things at PS5 playing PS4 games how they were, hardware BC, without any new enhancements outside of boost-mode which will benefit some games (especially those with unlocked framerates or performance problems). I doubt they will be chasing down games with software patches. With 99% coverage practically everything carries over so it's all good.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Will the PS5 explode if I try one of the 1% games that isn't compatible?

Tomorrow on bloomberg: Breaking news: Sources familiar with the matter said the PS5 might explode, Sony said "no comment"
A day later on IGN: Bloomberg said every PS5 will explode!
And then on Era: I'm the source of this, I was just joking!

Plans changed, sources familiar with the matter informed us that the PS5 was recently modified to not explode.

I heard sony was having trouble getting them to explode.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Will my PS4 cloud saves work on the PS5 when I play a PS4 game there or do I have to start the games over?

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I think pretty much all games will work given the 99% statement. There will be minor to moderate improvements with boost.

Anything outside of boost mode? I think you will have to pay for Sony first party as evidenced already by spiderman. I'm ok to pay for a blood borne upgrade, but last of us 2 and death stranding?? kinda stings. They are allowing free upgrades for all the cross gen games. Some third party are offering free upgrades (see CDPR).

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
99% is not the be-all-end-all. What are the 1% that won't work? To what degree are the games boosted? Do they run just as they did on the Pro?

People just parroting Jim's statement are embarrassing
The fact that plenty of this info is stemming from interviews from other sites than like...Sony's own is ...aahhhh. Wanting your money yet still not finalizing the details is unacceptable.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I've been spoiled by the compatibility pages of the various emulators out there, but if Sony did something similar for all the playable PS4 games I'm pretty sure almost everyone with questions about BC would have less things to be confused about.

Sony says 99% of the games can be played... but to what degree? Will there be texture errors? Inverted colours? Sounds that don't play? Achievements that don't unlock? Being playable is one thing, but it'd also be nice to know if it's playable with glitches or playable just like it was on the PS4.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only assume they're quiet about it because there's not much to it? Just download/put the disc in and it works. I guess.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
BC guess
early games pre pspro patches - basically like a PS4 game. Maybe an option to run in boost mode like pro had

Games with ps pro patches will run like pro games. Likely games with 'performance' modes will run at faster frame rates. Games with 'quality' modes may run at higher resolutions

I don't expect any added filtering/AA etc - pro will be the likely ceiling. Anything more that requires dev implementation is a roll of the dice.

maybe some more recent games since ps5 announced like TLOU2 and ghost of Tsushima might get updates as they're still 'active' with DLC and additional modes coming. But that's a maybe

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So far Spider-Man 2018 remastered is the only one you have to pay again for.
i'll bet in absolution that you will see a Horizon ZD Remasterd package with Horizon 2 next year.............togetther with a God of war remastered with God of war 2 next year....You will most probably see a Ghost of tsushuma and TLOU2 remaster next year too that you've have to paid for it regardless of whether you bought it this year.

None of these ps4 games will be 'patched' to take advantage of the PS5. I think it's a foregone conclusion that all these games will require rebuy again for the PS5 version.

The only 2 so far with 'free' upgrade is Miles and Horizon 2 but that's to 'entice' ppl still on the PS4 to upgrade to PS5. For existing user already bought the older PS4 1st party sony games, there's literally 0% chance that sony will be putting any effort to improve it to run on the PS5 for free.

I'm glad to be wrong and sony doing the pro-consumer move but you know i am going to be 100% right.

I have multiple late PS4 games that I have saved up in case they have next gen upgrades.

paid remaster? Sure, 99% of that happening. Free patches? 0% chance.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't been clear at all, but my assumption at this point is that they will work as if they are PS4 games on the PS5 and you won't get any sort of PS5 upgrades for free. It would be nice to know if the PS5 can play PS4 pro versions of PS4 games or if the PS5 will only play base PS4 versions of PS4 games. Has that been clarified?
During the presentation Cerny gave months ago, it was explained PS5 has both base PS4 and PS4 Pro BC modes.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
paid remaster? Sure, 99% of that happening. Free patches? 0% chance.

Yeah thats what I'm worried for, reason why I didn't buy Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima yet. The only games I have which would bum me out if there is no free upgrade (if upgrade is possible) is Death Stranding and maybe Days Gone :/

Joo

May 25, 2018
This is so weird.

Why would I pay 80€ for the PS5 version if I can pick up the PS4 version for 60€ and still get the PS5 version?
Because you won't get the upgrade with the PS4 version. Spider-Man Remastered with Miles is the only way to get it as of now. There isn't a single older Sony exclusive which has a confirmed free next-gen upgrade. To me it just looks like that Spider-Man definitely lays a precedent that we should expect that either we won't get any upgrades, or will have to pay for them. While I'm 100% sure that Tlou2 and GoT will get an upgrade to PS5 in some form, wouldn't it also be kinda weird and wrong that you'd have to pay for the Spider-Man upgrade, but something similar would be free for Tlou2?

With Sony being totally quiet about this, there's a slight chance that things might still change as they're definitely looking closely how people respond to this. But then again if they were to do a 180 with the free upgrades, then what you said is absolutely correct. There wouldn't be any reason to purchase the Ultimate Edition and because of that I just don't see Spider-Man getting a free upgrade with PS4 version. What they could do is a give an option to upgrade for 10€ etc. This way the people who buy the Ultimate Edition wouldn't get the short end of the stick.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Given the Spider-Man "remaster" situation and their silence, I can totally see them releasing paid patches as "Remastered" games, despite the originals being playable on the console.

I will cancel my pre-order if they don't confirm free upgrades for The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. I would understand paying an upgrade fee for older games (+2 years) but anything recent feels like a scam on their part.

There are first party games! Their upgraded versions should add value to the console for those that are on a PS4, not act as a cashgrab for PS5 early adopters

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yeah thats what I'm worried f

don't think there's any need to 'worry' now, worrying will not chance anything.....it's foregone conclusion with spider-man remaster being the first example and 10000% chance of almost all sony high profile 1st party titles will go this route, THERE WILL NOT BE ANY FREE UPDATES TO EXISTING SONY TITLES.

Either you are okay with this approach and continue to enable sony to continue to do that or you don't. Vote your wallets i guess.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
don't think there's any need to 'worry' now, worrying will not chance anything.....it's foregone conclusion with spider-man remaster being the first example and 10000% chance of almost all sony high profile 1st party titles will go this route, THERE WILL NOT BE ANY FREE UPDATES TO EXISTING SONY TITLES.

Either you are okay with this approach and continue to enable sony to continue to do that or you don't. Vote your wallets i guess.

Eh, I kinda want to take an wait and see approach what they do with next gen upgrades.

But I'll def buy less games this gen due to increased prices (games are now much more than 100$ each where I live)...

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
What's unclear? PS4 games will work on PS5 via BC, with either legacy or boost clocks.

Patches or remasters are up to developers/publishers.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about TLOU2 and GoT.

Spiderman there is a relatively lower cost for a remaster as its set in the same game world and a lot of that additional work was done as part of MM. Its possible Horizon gets a remaster as (1) they will be upgrading the general world detail for the sequel and that is work that can at least partly be leveraged for a remaster, and (2) they released on PC so there are already some higher quality assets available.

GoT and TLOU2 are much more recent, so I'm sure their performance/quality modes will have been made at least to take into account PS5, and possibly they'll get patches to tweak things. Still the same assets etc but maybe higher LoD/draw distance etc?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Eh, I kinda want to take an wait and see approach what they do with next gen upgrades.

i don't think there's any more wait and see needed.....if spider-man, their most successful 1st party title, requires you to buy it again to take advantage of the PS5 capabilities, why would any other less successful title suddenly get 'free updates'? It's same executives making these decisions, the individual studios don't make such business decision other than the creative side.

Clearly, 'customers goodwill' is not something sony is interested in accumulating, just money. Nothing's wrong with that. As i mentioned, you either are okay with this approach or don't by voting with your wallet.

We should've seen this. In the history of capitalism and consumerism, the market leader will always do whatever it takes to squeeze out more money from its customers while the runnerup will do anything to accumulating customer goodwill. Then the market leader & runnerup switched place and the runnerup, now the marketleader, will doing squeezing, while the previous marketleader, now the runnerup, will starts to be pro-consumer again. Nobody ever 'learns' anything. The cycle always continues.

As consumer, the least we can do it's a be responsible one. we may not be able to change things but at least we can try not to the enabler. I may not be able to be part of the solution but at least i don't want to be part of the problem.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I am losing faith in education overall. Just read somewhere that 50% of people dont understand what's said in the news, even less understand a simple written text.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
From what I understand games will run with improved performance when possible, but no upgrades. If they do upgrades it will be rare and as an extra in a package like Spiderman, I doubt they will release remasters full price.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think there's any more wait and see needed.....if spider-man, their most successful 1st party title, requires you to buy it again to take advantage of the PS5 capabilities, why would any other less successful title suddenly get 'free updates'?

Because it came out over two years ago and DLC is no longer coming out for it. Its not an 'active' game anymore.

Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, maybe even some 2019 games are less clear on that - one example doesn't make this a clear cut thing. And neither does what Sony did last gen with TLOU remastered as that was changing architectures so there was no BC.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Because it came out over two years ago and DLC is no longer coming out for it. Its not an 'active' game anymore.

Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, maybe even some 2019 games are less clear on that - one example doesn't make this a clear cut thing. And neither does what Sony did last gen with TLOU remastered as that was changing architectures so there was no BC.

i'm an extreme pragmatist and the pragmatism in me has came to the conclusion that paid remaster is a strategy that sony absolutely will be pursuing, regardless of the games' age. There will be no 'free' stuff, period.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like;
1. Future first party Sony games will get crossgen versions where you can get a PS4 and PS5 copy in the one purchase but no previously released first party games will get enhanced PS5 versions for free.
1. Third party developers have the option to provide a free PS5 upgrade or paid upgrade option. Or ignore both.
3. Backwards compatible PS4 games will generally retain the quality they have on the PS4 Pro with no additional enhancements provided by the console. At most framerates might be more stable and hit their locked targets

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i'm an extreme pragmatist and the pragmatism in me has came to the conclusion that paid remaster is a strategy that sony absolutely will be pursuing, regardless of the games' age. There will be no 'free' stuff, period.

I'm normally pretty pragmatic, erring on the side of pessimism but I'm struggling to see the issue with SM in particular as its such an old game. If they pull the same trick with TLOU2 or GoT I'll prepare my high horse but until then I'm ok with the current picture. There is no pattern/data yet to draw conclusions from.

Deleted member 30987

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Clearly, 'customers goodwill' is not something sony is interested in accumulating, just money. Nothing's wrong with that. As i mentioned, you either are okay with this approach or don't by voting with your wallet.

As consumer, the least we can do it's a be responsible one. we may not be able to change things but at least we can try not to the enabler. I may not be able to be part of the solution but at least i don't want to be part of the problem.

Take it from another angle. When You run a business, You make a number of decisions to stay afloat and earn money. If You put significant cost towards some work, You would like to at least recoup them.
Doing a remaster is not that easy as changing few digits in the code. In case of TLOU it required a team of few hundred to work few months to ship an enhanced product. And your expectation is You will get it for free.

Why ?

Whether the price for remasters is right or not is a different conversation. But to my knowledge, all big remasters to Playstation titles were priced 10-20$ below their original prices, so clearly there is an appreciation that You can't charge people like for an original experience.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm normally pretty pragmatic, erring on the side of pessimism but I'm struggling to see the issue with SM in particular as its such an old game. If they pull the same trick with TLOU2 or GoT I'll prepare my high horse but until then I'm ok with the current picture. There is no pattern/data yet to draw conclusions from.

i admire your 'optimism' but it's not something i share, going by the current executive's decisions being made. Improving all stuff for 'free' is not something sony has even done at all in the PS4 gen. Some all ND games like UC4 got a HDR patch when the PS4 Pro was released just to sell HDR4KTV but even then, that implementation half baked while other highly requested games like bloodborne are practically frozen in time.

Free improvement to stuff that you've already paid sony the money? Like i mentioned, when my pragmatism kicks and using past precedence, there's literally 0% chance of that happening.

I will gladly eat a feast of crows if i'm proven to be wrong but all points indicates that i will be right.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
It sounds like there is some boost mode for load times and up scaling but full upgrades are at publisher discretion.

I think it's a case of them knowing they are behind and it would be a bad news story, so they are simply not saying anything at all.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because you won't get the upgrade with the PS4 version. Spider-Man Remastered with Miles is the only way to get it as of now. There isn't a single older Sony exclusive which has a confirmed free next-gen upgrade. To me it just looks like that Spider-Man definitely lays a precedent that we should expect that either we won't get any upgrades, or will have to pay for them. While I'm 100% sure that Tlou2 and GoT will get an upgrade to PS5 in some form, wouldn't it also be kinda weird and wrong that you'd have to pay for the Spider-Man upgrade, but something similar would be free for Tlou2?

With Sony being totally quiet about this, there's a slight chance that things might still change as they're definitely looking closely how people respond to this. But then again if they were to do a 180 with the free upgrades, then what you said is absolutely correct. There wouldn't be any reason to purchase the Ultimate Edition and because of that I just don't see Spider-Man getting a free upgrade with PS4 version. What they could do is a give an option to upgrade for 10€ etc. This way the people who buy the Ultimate Edition wouldn't get the short end of the stick.
Yeah I understood how it works for Spider-Man, but the article is saying that by buying Horizon Forbidden West, or Sackboy's Big Adventure on PS4 you'll get a free upgrade which doesn't make sense since the prices will presumably be different.