• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Sony been clear on how your old games will work?

• Yes

Votes: 352 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,002 74.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if you go on the evidence we've seen so far, they're going to resell them and not give an upgrade. It seems like the "free" upgrades are only for certain cross-gen games, like Avengers, Madden, Cyberpunk, etc.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I know that 99 percent figure is thrown around, but it hasn't been explicitly stated if your digital Ps4 purchases will transfer over.

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but why would you want/need a PS4 profile, if you have the Pro profile?
For PS4 games that might not work on the Pro profile, but only a very select few games have problems running on the Pro right now.

I think there's already one publisher doing just that. So PlayStation will allow it(where as I think Microsoft will not allow next gen paid upgrades on their system). If they do it or not with their own games, is a separate question.
Isn't that what 505 is doing with Control on both next gen consoles?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Probably quiet because their solution is not as good as their competitors. Still wonder how many will actually be compatible on day 1. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I feel like this question keeps coming up even though its been clarified that PS4 games are BC on PS5. The "99%" comment is because if I'm not mistaken you can't guarantee 100% unless you do what the PS3 did, even the Xbox doesn't guarantee 100% BC.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My only question is if there will be any native enhancements to BC games, like how the One X automatically runs games with variable framerate/resolution at max or adds texture filtering.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't been clear at all, but my assumption at this point is that they will work as if they are PS4 games on the PS5 and you won't get any sort of PS5 upgrades for free. It would be nice to know if the PS5 can play PS4 pro versions of PS4 games or if the PS5 will only play base PS4 versions of PS4 games. Has that been clarified?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this question keeps coming up even though its been clarified that PS4 games are BC on PS5. The "99%" comment is because if I'm not mistaken you can't guarantee 100% unless you do what the PS3 did, even the Xbox doesn't guarantee 100% BC.
Eh well that quote of his said they have tested thousands of games, and of those 99% will work. So we'll see. I have my doubts that most Ps4 will be compatible day one. Feel like it will be a rollout process. I think if most would work on day one, they would be very direct and spell it out clearly.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
You put the disc in and it will play. What more do you need? Some games will get patches of devs think it's worth their time /have the budget it will be up to devs whether they want to charge it not.

Exactly the same as it was on pro

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
At present time, 99% of PS4 titles "should" work on PS5. I am taking this with a grain of salt until clearly demonstrated. We have no idea how our PS4 games will work on PS5.

Some enhancements will be up to the publisher, though Sony and 505 games are already setting the precedent for paid upgrades.

Clear as mud? Great! Now go preorder that PS5!

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
my question is will games that have ps4 pro enhancements run those enhancements on the ps5?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems relatively clear to me. Everything will work, some things can be upgraded but it's a case by case basis

Oct 27, 2017
Well every time someone made a funk about it before we were shouted down in the name of COVID and pandemic. When they easily could've had better messaging out about how everything works via the blog. MS has been clear on this front.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
For PS4 games that might not work on the Pro profile, but only a very select few games have problems running on the Pro right now.

Isn't that what 505 is doing with Control on both next gen consoles?

505 is making everyone Rebuy the Ultimate edition to get the "free" next gen upgrade.

We are talking about the PS4 game being $60, the PS5 game being $70 and the publisher allowing people to pay $10 to upgrade the PS4 version to PS5. PlayStation allows that on PSN. There's at least one publisher(I forget which one) that has announced they are doing just that.

Edit: I just remember that when Rainbow Moon which was originally a PS3 game was later released on Vita and later again on PS4, the dev did not support Cross buy but allowed previous buyers to get the new versions at a 50% discount. So PlayStation will let you do whatever.

Last edited:

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Will the PS5 explode if I try one of the 1% games that isn't compatible?

Tomorrow on bloomberg: Breaking news: Sources familiar with the matter said the PS5 might explode, Sony said "no comment"
A day later on IGN: Bloomberg said every PS5 will explode!
And then on Era: I'm the source of this, I was just joking!

Plans changed, sources familiar with the matter informed us that the PS5 was recently modified to not explode.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
505 is making everyone Rebuy the Ultimate edition to get the "free" next gen upgrade.

We are talking about the PS4 game being $60, the PS5 game being $70 and the publisher allowing people to pay $10 to upgrade the PS4 version to PS5. PlayStation allows that on PSN. There's at least one publisher(I forget which one) that has announced they are doing just that.
Understood thanks for the distinction.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Simply assume the PS4 titles will run as designed for the original platform.
This.

I assume it will work as it does today between PS4 and Pro whether digital or disc. 3 main categories really.

1) Same game, same features, maybe some enhancements in Boost mode. This is what I think their 99% comment is about. It WILL work but not necessarily better.

2) For those games that explicitly get patched for 5 (and this is a per game, per developer situation) we can see a slew of enhancements from a tiny patch that makes sure resolution/framerate are the only changes, to larger patches that improve textures and add features like VRR or Dual Sense features. I don't expect charges on these.

3) Some games will get major upgrades/remasters that I imagine will be similar to remasters on PS4 from 3. That is the games can be entirely reworked and optimized and in some cases unrecognizable. These will inevitably cost.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Every game will either work as it did on ps4, or pro if it supported pro, or not at all (1% apparently). Optionally, some may receive additional updates to take more advantage of PS5 but honestly this will be a minority and you are better off not basing expectations around your favorite game getting it.

Or so I understand, from their messaging anyway.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
I really don't feel like Sony have BC all sorted out, the messaging is all over the place. First it was top 100 ps4 games, now it's 99% of games, now spider-man has no upgrade path so does it not fall into either of the above categories?

I remember when Xbox got concern trolled for introducing smart delivery.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I want to know if my PS4 game saves will be compatible with the PS5. Like, can I upload my current Sekiro (an example) game save to the cloud and then download it on PS5 to continue to my progress. Xbox does this with X360 games compatible with Xbox One. Or are all my PS4 game saves wiped.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I'd assume games Will run on boosted mode by default unless there's a patch. In case there's a patch if it's a simple one it will be free but if it requires more work I think Sony will charge for It.

We just have to wait and see cuz I guess Sony don't have a clear idea themselves lol

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
You're not the first confused person I see by a longshot so I think they need to be more clear, but I also personally do understand how it works, I think?

- PS4 games (save for very rare / quirky exceptions), will run just as good as they did on PS4 Pro without any update needed.
- Some games will offer a free upgrade to PS5, which means you'll get to download the PS5 version as a separate game. Smart Delivery actually does the same thing, it's not actual patches but completely separate SKUs of the game, but Smart Delivery means the console detects which is the best available SKU you can play on your current console)

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

PS4 box offers first look at ‘PS5 upgrade’ branding

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ps4-box-offers-first-look-at-ps5-upgrade-branding/ PlayStation will seemingly implement special branding onto the boxes of cross-gen PlayStation 4 titles which offer a free upgrade to their PS5 versions. The box for Ubisoft’s Immortals Fenyx Rising was...

Now we are all waiting the last batch of infos about the entire console.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Jimbo's job is to create confusion. Amazes me that a goddamn CEO can give a hal-assed reply like the one he gave to Famitsu without being clear about what his product does, what doesn't, how will it handle PS2 Classics, for instance. I have a bunch on my account and I'm wondering if they'll run on PS5 or not.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
It all just kind of seems like a free for all. Sony doesn't seem to have any clear policies and doesn't seem like they've really thought through any of this.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand the confusion. 99% of games will work which I read as "they will all work but we can't make any guarantees as we've not tested them all". That's all there is to it.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I want to know if my PS4 game saves will be compatible with the PS5. Like, can I upload my current Sekiro (an example) game save to the cloud and then download it on PS5 to continue to my progress. Xbox does this with X360 games compatible with Xbox One. Or are all my PS4 game saves wiped.
I'll get angry if this is not the case

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I don't even care about boosts but if I'm able to carry over the digital games I want to keep around on my console (shmups/arcade/etc) I will be thrilled. If BC needs a manual approval system I doubt any of that shit makes it over

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I assume most games will just have faster loading. And games with a dynamic frame rate or resolution will run at their max levels on PS5 automatically.