• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Don't waste your life away like this, it's not worth it.
This not One Piece or some long running shonen series where you can just blast through in a matter of weeks or months.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
6A5BFPf.gif

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A very interesting conversation. But for all intents and purpose, what would be considered the milestone stories that actually matter? And have the golden age classics been retold as reboots?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man when I even think of the literal onslaught (pun intended) of sheer volume from the titles in the 90s and their awful quality...
I would never want to read them again.

You really want to see Sue Richards walking around like this?

4df14ed0f1e4088b2ca0944a73cc7cbe.jpg

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Plus many of those that aren't are retconned to oblivion and disregarded.

If one were to republish all the stories that counted as trade volumes, how far back would you still need to go in order to give the reader the full story?

Or, to put it another way, is it possible to streamline all the important stories into more manageable volumes?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If one were to republish all the stories that counted as trade volumes, how far back would you still need to go in order to give the reader the full story?

Or, to put it another way, is it possible to streamline all the important stories into more manageable volumes?
That question largely depends on the character. Some characters, like Daredevil, have their origin story pretty much cemented in the 80s. Others, like Storm, have had enough retcons to where you can start with her origin in the early to mid 2000s.

Then you have the characters and books that essentially pull from and ignore multiple decades, like Spider-Man. There's stuff from the 70s that may be relevant but not entirely retold (but referenced in flashbacks), there's stuff from the 90s completely ignored, and there's stuff from the early 2000s that has been retconned and modified within the past few years.

Serialized comic books aren't meant to be read to get the whole story, because it's literally impossible since their narratives are perpetually "in the present" and characters have only been active in-universe as heroes for 12-15 years on average. The easiest streamlining would be to start in the early 2000s and read forward since old stuff would show up as a panel or two if it's a necessary flashback with a reference to an issue that you could go look at if you felt like it, but that's really as far back you need to go. And even that's pushing it.

Marvel (and DC) are only relevant when they need to be, and it's told to you in the issue with an editors note that it is. And if it's not noted, then the books are really only continuity heavy for the past 5-10 years or so. Anything beyond that is considered fluid in the timeline and can be ignored or referenced as needed.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
How familiar are you with the older style of comic-book writing?
If you already are and genuinely enjoy it then knock yourself out.

But my honest recommendation would be to just start reading FF and Amazing Spider-Man. Start there and expand to more titles if you're enjoying yourself. But in order not to burn out, read some more recent stuff in between. Even comics from the 80s, they will feel quite refreshing after some of the 60s stuff.

That's how I use Marvel Unlimited. I've been reading FF and Amazing starting with issue 1 and X-Men starting with the Claremont relaunch. But I read maybe a handful of issues a month, I've been doing that for a few years and it's been great. Will I ever catch up at this rate? Probably not. But there's not much point in doing that anyway. I just do it because I like the stories so far. I tried Daredevil for example, and it was terrible, so I stopped. Stan Lee clearly had no idea what to do with that character. No point in forcing myself through that just for completion's sake.

Man when I even think of the literal onslaught (pun intended) of sheer volume from the titles in the 90s and their awful quality...
I would never want to read them again.

You really want to see Sue Richards walking around like this?

4df14ed0f1e4088b2ca0944a73cc7cbe.jpg
Remember Fantastic Force?
Ah, the 90s, what a dark time for good taste.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
How familiar are you with the older style of comic-book writing?
If you already are and genuinely enjoy it then knock yourself out.

But my honest recommendation would be to just start reading FF and Amazing Spider-Man. Start there and expand to more titles if you're enjoying yourself. But in order not to burn out, read some more recent stuff in between. Even comics from the 80s, they will feel quite refreshing after some of the 60s stuff.

That's how I use Marvel Unlimited. I've been reading FF and Amazing starting with issue 1 and X-Men starting with the Claremont relaunch. But I read maybe a handful of issues a month, I've been doing that for a few years and it's been great. Will I ever catch up at this rate? Probably not. But there's not much point in doing that anyway. I just do it because I like the stories so far. I tried Daredevil for example, and it was terrible, so I stopped. Stan Lee clearly had no idea what to do with that character. No point in forcing myself though that just for completion's sake.

Remember Fantastic Force?
Ah, the 90s, what a dark time for good taste.

Jesus I forgot all about Fantastic Force

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
If you have little comics knowledge, reading the best arcs will already occupy you for a long time. Reading everything would be a colossal waste of time and money, on top of comics not being meant to be read that way in the first place.

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
Why would one do this? Besides the insane time sink there's shit-tons of totally skippable crap there.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My advice would be to use that time more constructively - read the good stuff only and save yourself hundreds of hours.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't even think Johnny fucking 5 could do it in less than a decade.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Seriously, Silver Age comics can be a pain to read at times. Just find the team and character you really like and go from there

I've actually been planning on going all the way through Avengers at some point, start with issue #1 and work my way through to the current run I'm already following. Might even throw in West Coast Avengers and other side titles along the way

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
70's and 80's is Marvel's peak

90's should be avoided like the plague

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
This is a bad idea. While you don't have to read everything, spending about fifteen years reading an hour a day to read All of Marvel just isn't worth it.

Because you should definitely be reading DC too, to compare and contrast and get a better idea of the comics environment at the time. Call it two hours a day? But not everything, you don't have to read all the other random publishers...

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Don't do this OP. Find recommendations for your favourite characters instead

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of plain crap stories throughout the years. Remember that the whole deal with comics was always producing as many as possible to keep up with market demand (which used to be huge). Even the best writers put out stories that they consider to be absolute ass because of deadlines.

It's a better idea to only read the good stories. Follow a character/team, or even better, a writer. There are several reading guides to help with that.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm doing the same thing but starting with the year 2000. I'm using Comic Book Herald and CrushingKrisis sites.

Having a great time! Currently up to the year 2004.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I still wouldn't recommend starting at the very first #1 and reading up to modern day. But pretty much every major Marvel characters has at least one critically-lauded run, and there's usually issues that are made to get reader up to speed on origins/relevant past adventures in order to hit the ground running as soon as possible.

I feel like the only one where this even makes any sense would be Amazing Spider-Man, but still wouldn't recommend it.

I tried to do it for both X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man over the last few years but ended up skipping a lot of the 90s stuff for both of them. Even then I ended up reading waaaay too much crap.
That era of Uncanny X-Men with Marrow and Maggot on the team had to be the lowest point. And that is including a re-read of the damn Clone Saga, which single-handedly drove me away from comics for a long while as a kid.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck OP, especially with how bad Marvel Unlimited is when it comes to continuity !
Also, I hope you'll write some posts about your experience :)

I read ALL Amazing Spiderman comics (from #1 to ca. #740 I think) some years ago, it took a while but it was fun.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's not that you can't do it, it's doable since you don't care how much time it takes. Could take a decade, whatever, if it becomes your passion and you have fun, I'm all in for you doing it.
The issue is, you just won't have fun.
A good 50% is total crap, and a good 40% is totally forgetable.
There's some really good stuff, but most of it is just bad lol.

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
good Luck!

I think your naysayers are poking fun because of jealousy or their own self-doubts, but you can do it, seeing these numbers.

Enjoy shit how you want and not how others deem most worthy to the material.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I would warn you that this is a great way to make yourself hate comics. The trash to quality ratio is way out.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I'm a big comic fan and even I think this is an awful idea, there are much better ways to spend your time.

As others have said, the quality ratio is terrible.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Without going deep into the quality of individual comics, I'm not sure it's possible unless Marvel has everything available in their app. And even then, where do you draw the line? Timely-Atlas? Marvel UK?

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
So in about 10 years or so, you'll have to tell me what you think about Wild Thing, NFL SuperPro, Fantastic Force, and everything New Universe.

In all seriousness, though, this is not a good idea. If you feel like condensing a huge amount of early Marvel, try and seek out the Marvel Saga books.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What a horrible waste of time. Why would you do this?

Oct 27, 2018
I have a friend who's way into comics and seems to retain everything he's ever read in them*, and even he probably couldn't face this task!

*this may be hyperreal as I have very little comic knowledge bug whenever I'd reference a story arc or character background I wasn't aware of, when I used to play Marvel War Of Heroes, he'd recall it instantly and know every layer.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
This is an impossible task, but there are plenty of good runs to follow. Reading every book published in 616 would mean you're reading literal decades' worth of bad comics.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried to go back and read old spider-man stuff but woof Peter explaining everything in thought bubbles did not age well.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I say this as a huge fan of Marvel comics...when I think of all the shitty books you are planning to read it sends a shudder down my spine.

Do this instead, op: make a list of all of the great - and, fine, most "important" - runs of the 60s. It will take some work to get this list together (the fine folks in the comics community thread can help you do this), but it will be worth it. Just read those. Then do it again for the 70s, and so on. It would still be an enormous accomplishment, but it is at least achievable and it will actually be fun.

Don't try to read all the garbage. That is the path to misery and failure.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I can't fathom reading so many comics--especially ones from so long ago, and in order no less.

Good luck to you. You're going to need it.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Since you already brought up skipping things: just read good runs instead of trying to do everything. Like 60s F4 and ASM are good but you'll hate yourself trying to power through pre-Miller Daredevil. Not like there's not enough good comics to last you a while.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do this but with rebooted Valiant instead. Internally consistent writing and worldbuilding, excellent art and writing teams, unique and fun takes on heroes... it's ideal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valiant/wiki/readingorder

Oh nice! I might do this... I bet most of it is on Comixology Unlimited too.

OP: If you're really intent on doing this, start by reading a series up to some predetermined point. Maybe just read Amazing Spider-Man 1-110 (which is where Stan stops writing). Something like that.

Then go to Uncanny X-Men. 1-66 are pretty uneven, Stan & Jack do the first 20 issues, then Roy Thomas takes over up to 44, and then it becomes writer hot potato until 66, the final issue. It's all a bit of a mess, but the middle part is okay, and Neal Adams draws a few issues at the end. But then when it comes back after a seven year hiatus, it's absolutely phenomenal!

Fantastic Four holds up pretty well too, though. I think so at least. It's very episodic and Star Trek TOS/Twilight Zone like during those first 100 issues or so.

Iron Man's book, Tales of Suspense is pretty good too. I really like Don Heck's art and how different it is from Kirby and Ditko. Ditko is messy, warm and expressive, Kirby's is so strong and powerful, but Heck's is perfect for Iron Man. So clean and precise. And I think he hits that dapper early 60's look so well. And a few years later he takes over Avengers and starts using an inker, but those early Iron Man books (Tales of Suspense, that is) are him inking too and they're really good.

I dunno, I think it's going to be really tough, but good luck!

Last edited: