• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 225 73.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 26.2%

• Total voters

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a phenomenal game if you go with it and play it on its terms. It's not something you'll finish in one sitting though, it needs to be savoured, so expect to take a break or two at some point.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
User banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Pros:

- I have the first one for the 360 but I haven´t played it yet. Folks online say playing this before the first one is great story-wise.
- I want a game to squeeze my GTX 1060 an this could be a good one.
- It is Christmas so I have more time to play it these days.
- Setting is attractive for me.

Cons:

- I am stupid enough to have read the ending of the story on the Internet by mistake.
- It is not that cheap yet.
- I have read many times the game controls awfully.
- Long games got me cautious for the not liking the game that much in the end.

Help me decide guys.

Thank you.

Download the cracked version,play a couple of hours, and if you like it, buy it. That's what I did and didn't like it, so I uninstalled it and didn't buy it

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
If you've got the time to play a long, slow game with kind of odd controls, then go for it but I would play the first one instead if you've got that.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The open world needs to be experienced. It's a love letter to the natural world.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could accept 1080/30 with decent settings, but I would prefer 900/60 if I can.
As someone who bought it at launch with a 1060 and just checked it now since people here mentioned performance updates. I'll say the game will look very rough at anything lower than 1080p. 1080/30 is very much doable with the right settings. I have the internal resolution bumped up 25% from 1080 and I get anywhere from 27-40+ FPS depending on what's going on, for example fire is very taxing. Some quick screengrabs I took while checking, to give you an idea on visuals and if you do decide to grab I can post settings:

reddeadredemption2scrfzkmi.png

reddeadredemption2scrsgjis.png

reddeadredemption2scre4j7f.png

reddeadredemption2scrnsj5q.png

reddeadredemption2scr57jc4.png

reddeadredemption2scr3pjav.png

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It plays like an epic western. The controls aren't unlike GTA. I found them confusing but that's possibly because I was dipping in and out rather than playing it solid.
It'll definitely squeeze your 1060.

Apr 28, 2020
I don't know. I voted no. RDR1 was very special to me but RDR2 felt like a huge slog. Maybe I'm just more impatient now but the game just took too long and I felt like I spent so much time riding my horse from one place to the other. Some of the mechanics I didn't want to spend time on (eating to maintain weight, clothing, horse upgrading). I really liked the gunfights but the stuff in between was quite boring.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
One of my GOATs, I've done probably 350 hours in story mode, but I'm not sure that 1060 will do you any favors. I started on a GTX970 and ended up upgrading most parts by the end of the game.

Its definitely worth the price at $40. The controls aren't as bad as people make it seem. But still maybe hold off for now

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I bought it on PC to play again at 60fps, hoping I could give third person a try. I would think that by now R* would have patched how the first person mode controls into the third person, or someone would have modded it in, but no. I am just completely amazed that anyone that worked on the controls of this game thought it was a good idea to not allow analog movement. It is completely and utterly baffling. I am forced once again to play in first person because pressing a button anytime you want to move at anything more than a slow ass walk is unplayable to me. I don't understand how anyone can do it.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I would absolutely say you should skip it. It's tedious and the controls sure don't help matters in the slightest.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but unless you meant to type 4060 instead of 1060, I would skip since the optimization isn't too hot. Get it for console if that is an option.

Come to think of it, what was the last well optimized open world game on PC? Sleeping Dogs?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently finished it after buying it on sale. It's a difficult one to recommend cause you either going to love or hate it I think.

I think the control complaints are overblown. It's the same as the first game. It's slow and deliberate for immersion sake. I get what they are going for. The animations for looting ect take ages but there's no real need to do it at any point during the entire game if you don't want to.

I would say it's definitely worth it for the story and characters, though if you've spoiled it then you might not get as much out of it.

It has a great first act, the second act DRAAAAAAAGGS on to the point where you will want to drop the game , but it picks again towards the end and finishes really, really strongly. But my god the middle of the game sucks.

I think it's probably one of the best games I've played since BotW, the world Rockstar has built and the ways you can immerse yourself are unmatched. The characters all have really good arcs for the most part. Arthur is really, really great, especially in the final third.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
The complaints about controls are pure psyops my guy. It plays like an absolute dream on PC and the combat mechanics are the most satisfying I've ever experienced in an open-world game. You'd be doing yourself a disservice by passing on a game like this. It's the last of its kind.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
How the character dies is worth seeing even if you know the spoiler IMO, get it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I loved the first one and was very much anticipating the sequel. It was great!
In your position, it could be fun to play the prequel first and then the original (might be hard to lose gfx tho).

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's a phenomenal game. Re: the controls I feel you should be able to determine if they're a deal breaker for you or not straight away. They've never been even a hint of a problem for me. How'd you fare with GTA4?

I'm running the game on a 1060 at 1440p and average over 30FPS with the right settings turned on and off. For as much flak as the game gets for technical reasons it actually runs very well considering how impressive it looks almost all of the time.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, you don't need to make nearly ten bullet points about your decision to buy a game.

Just do it. It's not a life or death situation.

Aug 10, 2019
The game controls the way it's supposed to.
One of the best games of this gen IMO.

Pros
Fantastic story with amazing characters, writing and acting
Top 3 open worlds of all time
Very detailed, immersive and believable world
A lot of game for the money you spend on it

Cons
Online sucks
Shooting is mediocre
1st act is slow

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bounced off RDR2 back when it released on PC but I'm really enjoying it now that I have a week off. I love how hard it leans into the simulation aspect. You really need to clear some time to play it though. Small bursts won't cut it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
A fried tried to play it on a GTX 1060 and it was pretty much impossible to hit 60 FPS at 1080p and even at 900p it seemed hard. I'd wait for a PC upgrade if I were you.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Best open world game in the past 5 years IMO. The controls are just fine. It takes some getting used to. The story and world are amazing. If your PC is half decent you're in for a visual treat.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the best games ever made. The story moved me deeply and I still can't get it out of my head.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
It plays like an epic western. The controls aren't unlike GTA. I found them confusing but that's possibly because I was dipping in and out rather than playing it solid.
It'll definitely squeeze your 1060.
Don't you DARE blame yourself for the absolutely god-awful controls in that game. It's not your fault. It's not anybody's fault but Rockstar's.

I'm probably 15 hours deep into the game (not playing anything else) and the controls are still often opaque to me. Like, I was just knocking out the gunslingers quests, and I'm still not 100% sure how I'm supposed to duel. Then there are the times when bandits roll up on me and I cannot figure out how I'm supposed to draw my gun and shoot them. Or there's the inevitable time when you'll punch your horse.

And that's before we get to the hidden/forgotten mechanics, like eagle eye. They teach you about that shit once VERY early in the game. Then you kinda forget about it, and just kinda blindly fumble about the world looking for items and especially herbs. Then many, many hours in you realize that this shit is a million times easier if you just use eagle eye. But, like, why hadn't you at least accidentally stumbled upon it in your prior 10+ hours playing the game? Oh, it's because you invoke it using the "completely natural" press-both-sticks input. :-| (I realize this is maybe less obscure on PC KMB.)

And EVEN THAT is before we talk about the absolutely atrocious early-game checkpointing. The missions where you have to talk to five people, then hop on horses, ride for a few minutes, get off and do some spying for a couple minutes, then ride down and fight. But, what if you fuck up BECAUSE THE CONTROLS ARE TERRIBLE? Well, you have to do all of the dialogue, riding, spying all over again! It made me want to smash my everything. And this happens in multiple missions, one of which midway through you're looking for a female companion which went into a building with two doors. If you choose the wrong door, and it's locked, and you assume maybe you need to peek around back because maybe she was abducted and they locked the door, you end up out-of-bounds and you fail the missing and have to do ~10 minutes of the mission leading up to that all over again.

[The weirdest thing about that though, is that later in the game it probably has the most friendly checkpointing system of all time. Not only is the checkpointing very generous, but if you fail a certain leg three times it gives you the option to simply skip that part. It's very good.]

But aside from all that, the game is amazing. Wonderful characters, moments, world-building, etc. Really fantastic, and completely worth working your way through the control/checkpointing issues.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The sluggish controls you'll get use to. The empty bland gunplay and the bland feel of killing enemies in the game, is what bothered me.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Been thinking about buying this for a long time as well.
As far as all the control complaints go... are we talking controller, KBM, or both?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I would sooner play this on Stadia than on a GTX 1060. The 1060 is a great little card but Red Dead is a bit out of its reach for decent framerate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'd play the 1st one first and wait for a deeper discount for 2.

And I loved 2.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Yes! The controls are pretty bad (adjust your dead zone in the settings!) but nearly everything else this game does is fantastic. I think it would make a fantastic game to play over the holiday break too.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Main character dies. That´s it. I didn´t read how or why

I think you're still good, RDR2 is quite the journey to get to that point...the fact that Arthur isn't mentioned at all in RDR1, afaik, means that was proably assumed by all that played RDR2.

A 1060 is the minimum recommended card for RDR2 so I'm not sure how it will run. I recently tried it on my 970 and it ran pretty poorly, but a 1060 is a slight step up from that.

Also I would imagine controls on PC with a mouse and keyboard would be totally fine. I like the controls on console but they did put in a generous aim assist with controllers due to the sluggish feel of it. Like most Rockstar games it prioritizes animation over snappy controls, so you're left with movement that looks more natural since you're not always cancelling out of animations like most other games.

Go for it on Steam...you can always return it if it doesn't grab you within 2 hours.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Definitely play RDR1 first if you already have it. It's not as "immersive" as 2 but it'll give you a good idea of if you're into that type of game or not without spending the money on 2. It's also expected (but not required) that you play 1 before 2 despite 2 being a prequel. Some of the story beats in 2 hit harder if you play 1 first as intended.

Not just that but RDR1 still holds up IMO. I played it for the first time a few years ago and I had a blast with it.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Thanks everybody for commenting! :) I will play RDR 1 while the second game dets discounted.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
There's no need of playing RDR1 first. RDR2 is a completely different type of experience. I hate Western themed media, but RDR2 feels and plays so organically with gigatons of stuff to do, that ended up being my favourite game of this generation.

Controls are not as bad as people imply, even when switching from a fast action game, it felt fine. You take it as it is.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I had a similar situation. Have not played RDR, knew same spoiler as you (but a little more in that regard) and had a great time! Story still worthwhile and and great acting from a wide cast.

I'll play RDR soon and going in knowing what led up to that point