• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
After being away from my homeland for 7 years, I will be moving back to Puerto Rico next month, and I cannot wait to get there. I posted a thread about it before, the lease on my current apartment is not being renewed and I have until Jan 26 to move. When I received this news, I admit I was distressed/scared, me and my wife frantically looked for another apartments and we could never get a place since my earnings are too low (I only get money from military disability). I don';t know if anyone has noticed (probably not, I'm a nobody here lol) but I used to hate PR alot , I have a lot of bad memories living there and after I joined the Army, I never wanted to go back , but after discussing with a few people , we believe this the best decision to make, one my closest friends also told me "Why move to another overpriced apartment when you can just go back to PR and live a very good life" and that is what finally got me to agree to go back.

Living in the US has been mostly a good personal experience for me (I'll keep saying it, Alaska is the best state and the best place I've ever lived at, beautiful peaceful place that I miss everyday). Living in upstate NY was good mostly, but the lack of meaningful medical help/feelings of being ignored , plus having mental breakdowns just made me hate living here now, We will buy a house someday but I don't think I can live in the same area I do now, so who knows where I will live a few years from now.

it's been 7 years , but it's been a good run, I made a really good friend here and I will miss him, but aside from that, the US can get fucked, I'll go back home feeling better about my life situation while I work on fixing my credit and saving money alot easier than I ever could living here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Puerto Rico technically part of the US?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda a technicality, but congrats. Glad you're happier.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Before more people start posting stuff, Puerto Rico is nothing like the US, dealing with things in the US is a fucking hassle, a problem that can take days/weeks to solve in the US, I can get it solved in a day or 2 over there, at least when I lived there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Before more people start posting stuff, Puerto Rico is nothing like the US, dealing with things in the US is a fucking hassle, a problem that can take days/weeks to solve in the US, I can get it solved in a day or 2 over there, at least when I lived there.
I'm aware.

I was just thinking it was another country you were going to. That's all.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Don't let the first post de-rail the thread.

Sounds like you have a solid plan, OP. You'll be alright.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Out of curiosity, where do you fall on the Puerto Rico situation re: the US.

Are you in favor of statehood, or independence?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I visited Puerto Rico last spring and loved it the few days I was there. After getting back I looked into teaching jobs there, but it looks like I'd take a huge paycut (this is the equivalent of what I'm doing in Texas, but at 1/2 the pay). Can't say I still haven't considered it myself though, everyone seemed extremely friendly and I just loved the atmosphere. I bet I'd go to El Yunque monthly, what a gorgeous place.

And man, that hot sauce that was all over the place is absolutely delicious.

Last edited:

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck trying to get the drivers license. Or the power and water connected. Or the below average cell service. Or the expensive/limited groceries. My experience has been the complete opposite I'll admit. I look back at the island with certain disappointment now. I love it, and most of its people, but man is the government broken beyond repair, the infrastructure bus crumbling and there are certain aspects of there population that are just.... horrible?

As I said in the previous thread, good luck. I really hope you do a lot better. Mind I ask where you are moving?

EDIT: just my biased opinion! NW corner of the island is heaven (Aguadilla, Isabela, Rincon) but the rest is yikes. I have fantastic memories of aguadilla and would love to go back someday.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Good luck trying to get the drivers license. Or the power and water connected. Or the below average cell service. Or the expensive/limited groceries. My experience has been the complete opposite I'll admit. I look back at the island with certain disappointment now. I love it, and most of its people, but man is the government broken beyond repair, the infrastructure bus crumbling and there are certain aspects of there population that are just.... horrible?

As I said in the previous thread, good luck. I really hope you do a lot better. Mind I ask where you are moving? NW corner of the island is heaven (Aguadilla, Isabela, Rincon) but the rest is yikes. I have fantastic memories of aguadilla and would love to go back someday.
Im going to Isabela actually and I am from Aguadilla, lived in Ramey.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'll say this though, San Juan SUCKS, especially those douchebags who say "ahh tu eres de la isla", SJ is part of the isla cabron.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
health care I can understand. But what about infrastructure? Getting to point a to b? Groceries? Technical internet and access to information? Media channels? Shipping items and times?

seems odd to me
All those things are fine according to most of my family who live there, rent is cheaper there too.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After 20 years in the US I moved back to Spain this past July, it was one of the best decisions Ive ever made. Hope it works out well for you.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
For those who go visit someday after things look better, if you want to go to great beaches, go to Cabo Rojo.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Im going to Isabela actually and I am from Aguadilla, lived in Ramey.
I'll say this though, San Juan SUCKS, especially those douchebags who say "ahh tu eres de la isla", SJ is part of the isla cabron.
Oh man, I LOVE Isabela. Jobos? *chef kiss* Go to Juniors Pizza there, you won't regret it. Best pizza I've had in the island. Then the 110 with the awesome food and bars; pretty much a young-adult professional lifestyle. BeerBox was my to-go place for a few drinks. You are from Ramey so you probably know what I am talking about. Best of luck. Rent is absolutely cheaper; the island has its very deep issues but if you can deal with them they are worth it.

Also... fuck "la metro". Rotten shithole place.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Oh man, I LOVE Isabela. Jobos? *chef kiss* Go to Juniors Pizza there, you won't regret it. Best pizza I've had in the island. Then the 110 with the awesome food and bars; pretty much a young-adult professional lifestyle. BeerBox was my to-go place for a few drinks. You are from Ramey so you probably know what I am talking about. Best of luck. Rent is absolutely cheaper; the island has its very deep issues but if you can deal with them they are worth it.

Also... fuck "la metro". Rotten shithole place.
Ahh, for sure , I know what you mean, but the best pizza place in Pizza Circo in Mayaguez Mall, that is the best pizza I've ever had ...ever.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I will say this, the island has changed a lot in 7 years. So be prepared for a bit of a shock (good and bad). I highly suggest finding a place with A/C or having one installed.

I'll be heading there myself next year to help my mom find a house. Maybe we can meet up and have a beer and some pasteles.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I will say this, the island has changed a lot in 7 years. So be prepared for a bit of a shock (good and bad). I highly suggest finding a place with A/C or having one installed.

I'll be heading there myself next year to help my mom find a house. Maybe we can meet up and have a beer and some pasteles.
Oh I am sure things will be different , but I am going back to familiar grounds so I feel good, and sure, what part of PR are you going to?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
If I can , I'll probably do what my brother did and go live in Germany or something lol.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ahh try your best, SJ is shit.
She has the mindset where she has to be centrally located. So the airport needs to be nearby and the beach needs to be nearby and shops and all this stuff. I'm like, "Ma, you can drive across this entire island in less than 3 hours. No matter where you are, you're centrally located."

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
She has the mindset where she has to be centrally located. So the airport needs to be nearby and the beach needs to be nearby and shops and all this stuff. I'm like, "Ma, you can drive across this entire island in less than 3 hours. No matter where you are, you're centrally located."
hehe I can get from Aguadilla to SJ in like an hour and a half :P

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
this reminds me that although i am puerto rican i have never visited the island not once in all my years of existing

i don't know much about my own culture but it would be fascinating to see what's it like in person

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you, op.

My family is from Ponce. I only have lived there months at a time with my grandma, but I love the island. It's always been a dream of mine to own property there.

What part are you moving to?

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's a great place to visit , especially the north east part of the island.

my mother was born there. my father grew up there and his parents own a farm there. i just didn't get a chance to see it. always saw photos of it and ate octopus my dad would get in care packages from the island when i was a kid.

as a chef now, i am so curious about the local cuisine i never got to experience.