• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a dog person and I find dogs all over the house, on furniture and especially the bed kinda nasty, so I understand where your boyfriend is coming from in this regard. At the same time it is your dog and your house, your boyfriend is only coming relatively new into this. It's imo not his place to tell you the dog should be kept outside. I'd imagine it would also be an extremely hurtful experience for a dog that has been pampered all its life and that is used to living in the house with you to be cast out. :(

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm kind of a germaphobe, so when I see people take their dogs outside and then let it come back in without any attempt at sanitizing its paws grosses me out. Like I wouldn't go walk outside barefoot on the street in the first place, but if I did I wouldn't come back inside and immediately put my feet on my furniture without a second thought. So if you're not meticulous about cleaning your pet, then yes, I think it should stay outside. Personally pet dander is too much for my allergies anyway so it's an easy choice.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
boomer ERA coming out in this thread with this "outside dog" business

Yup

Truly.

What kind of absolute mad man thinks dogs (or cats for that matter) belong outside permanently. Such a ridiculous take.

OP, it's a dealbreaker for sure. Pets live in the house, and I say that as someone who doesn't even have a pet.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm ignorant, is the human & dog evolving together a worldwide thing? Were dogs on every continent?
Yep! They are not sure if domestication happened twice or just once, but dogs basically came out of Africa with us. Even the Native Americans had dogs, so they came across the land bridge.

www.livescience.com

Dogs and Humans Evolved Together, Study Suggests

Dogs and humans have been evolving together over the past 32,000 years, a new study shows

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I've never known anyone to have permanently outside dogs, but it's cold like 4-6 months of the year in Chicago so it's probably a little different here.

Really sounds like this guy isn't gonna be someone you can continue to date if you plan to have dogs in the future, though.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's interesting how subjects like this are so heated like even the suggestion that someone does something different to you is so horrifying. Some of you really need to make more of an effort to understand others perspectives.

For me I go both ways. My family loooove indoor dogs and I've slept with dogs in my bed and they just chill laying on you during the day. I enjoyed that and can see why people like it.

Now that I have my own place with my own dog things are slightly different. Firstly because we got a working dog from the pound. She's incredibly energetic and inside just isn't the place for her. She needs room to move and would also be destructive if left alone. Thankfully we have a massive spare room at the back of our house formally used as a spa room by the previous owners which has become our dogs bedroom.

Keeping a dog outside should be against the law. Absolutely disgusting.

Truly.

What kind of absolute mad man thinks dogs (or cats for that matter) belong outside permanently. Such a ridiculous take.

OP, it's a dealbreaker for sure. Pets live in the house, and I say that as someone who doesn't even have a pet.

I don't think it's right to impose yourself on others like that but there is absolutely nothing wrong with outside dogs. This sort of aggression isn't warranted.

boomer ERA coming out in this thread with this "outside dog" business

Yup

This I can barely even understand. What about keeping dogs outside makes someone a boomer? So many dumb takes in this thread.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'll concur with people saying it's gonna be a dealbreaker. I like animals in general, but I'm not living with a dog, so I don't really date people with dogs. If he doesn't like dogs in the house, it's gonna be a one or the other situation eventually.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I for sure wouldn't want dogs inside the house. And if your guy doesn't like dogs in the house, OP, I don't think it'll be as easy as it "growing on him".

Would love to take an age poll of people saying dogs should be kept outside and confirm my suspicion that this is an "old fashioned" thing.
I'm 30. I don't want dogs in the house.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Well he's not only wrong because it's your house but the notion that dogs should live outdoors in any house is dumb and ridiculous and I don't think I've ever heard that come from anyone who wasn't one of those weird, I-don't-like-animals people (no offense).

I for sure wouldn't want dogs inside the house. And if your guy doesn't like dogs in the house, OP, I don't think it'll be as easy as it "growing on him".

I'm 30. I don't want dogs in the house.

What is your concept of dogs? Is it like livestock or some shit? So weird.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
When I was like 8 my poor family took in two strays. They just sat in the backyard, rain or shine and it must have been miserable. I feel utterly terrible about it looking back, and would never treat an animal like that ever again. Current dog sleeps between me and my wife every night, wouldn't have it any other way.

Jan 18, 2018
It's interesting how subjects like this are so heated like even the suggestion that someone does something different to you is so horrifying. Some of you really need to make more of an effort to understand others perspectives.

For me I go both ways. My family loooove indoor dogs and I've slept with dogs in my bed and they just chill laying on you during the day. I enjoyed that and can see why people like it.

Now that I have my own place with my own dog things are slightly different. Firstly because we got a working dog from the pound. She's incredibly energetic and inside just isn't the place for her. She needs room to move and would also be destructive if left alone. Thankfully we have a massive spare room at the back of our house formally used as a spa room by the previous owners which has become our dogs bedroom.

I don't think it's right to impose yourself on others like that but there is absolutely nothing wrong with outside dogs. This sort of aggression isn't warranted.

This I can barely even understand. What about keeping dogs outside makes someone a boomer? So many dumb takes in this thread.

This place is an echo chamber full of backhanded arguments and absolutes. Much of the internet is. Shit much of the world is.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

I agree. Some dogs just need the space to move around and play so sometimes having an outdoor dog is a necessity.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah whatever happened to dog houses?

I don't remember the last time I saw a dog house but that was a pretty coming thing to see growing up in the early 80s.
Apparently, you're an asshole if you have your dog outside in a doghouse.

I can see it from both sides. If there can be compromise, that's awesome. If not, that sucks.

People can believe in not having dogs live inside and people can believe in only having a dog inside.

I personally love having dogs inside, but I wouldn't hold it against someone if they keep them outside in doghouses.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Many years ago we had a larger dog who stayed in a fairly large gated yard. Locking him inside would have been the cruel option in that scenario imo.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a massive world of people who have outdoor dogs. It's not just "boomers".

Theres nothing wrong with it. Being in Canada, Id never leave a dog out in winter obviously, and Id probably not leave them outside during summer, but I wouldn't bat an eye at an outdoor dog.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a lot of "dogs stay outside" takes that reveal that a lot of people want pets but they dont "want" pets.
Pets require a lot more attention that "dog outside " folks are problably giving it.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I'm sorry op, but I sympathize with your boyfriend here.

I can't stand dogs near me, and get very anxious about it. If I ever had one, it would 99% outside, all the time.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Theres nothing wrong with it. Being in Canada, Id never leave a dog out in winter obviously, and Id probably not leave them outside during summer, but I wouldn't bat an eye at an outdoor dog.

I'm in Texas, and I'd never have an outdoor dog because I like them being indoors, but also because being outside raises the chance of them being exposed to venomous snakes or caterpillars, ticks, escaping the yard, dehydration (especially in the summer), sunburn, mites, parasites, etc...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Why would you ever have one?
Don't get a dog. An animal shouldn't suffer because of your hang ups.
That's right, I wont.

But my family is gonna get one soon (well, after this outbreak ends), and we've agreed to keep it outside (despite my parents' insistence the other way). I dont see how a dog suffers because of that.

Jan 13, 2020

If a dog prefers the outdoors, it prefers the outdoors. If it prefers the indoors, it prefers the indoors. There are settings in which a dog or cat should probably be brought inside, or outside.

But what isn't up to question is the "aggressiveness" of the comment you responded to. As much as OP or their partner has opinions, so will you or Pops, it's not aggressive to have an opinion different than yours. Pops comment seemed to be more in relation to not agreeing with the idea of forcing dogs to live outside as much as possible. If you can't handle the complex nature of the needs or responsible animal ownership (i.e. being flexible with the physical location of an animal you bought who depends on you) and give in to having easy to understand hardline opinions on things that change on a case by case basis, maybe don't reply.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah whatever happened to dog houses?

If the dog is going to live and sleep primarily outside, it's going to need a dog house. That arrangement has become less common over time, particularly in cities and suburbs, so you don't see them as much.

Attitudes toward this stuff varies by culture and region, but even within the U.S., Canada, etc. it mostly depends on how connected your family still is to rural or farm lifestyles. Having a dog live primarily outside is a convention that dates back to farm life, when one role for a dog in the ecosystem of the farm was to act as a protector or alarm system for the farmyard—a role it can fulfill better if it's outside and has the freedom to roam around the property. That's still a common thing on farms, and viewing that as weird or inhumane is just as much a myopic urban perspective as it is a dated rural perspective to think dogs should only stay outside.

Better to keep your dogs inside in the cities and suburbs in order to keep them safer and to avoid annoying your neighbors with barking and whatnot—they don't have the same role in that environment. But they're fine outside in a farm setting, as long as you're otherwise providing for all their needs, letting them inside if it's too cold, etc. (Though some breeds are suited to that, and some aren't.)

But my family is gonna get one soon (well, after this outbreak ends), and we've agreed to keep it outside (despite my parents' insistence the other way). I dont see how a dog suffers because of that.

Whether a dog lives inside or outside should depend on your home environment rather than just your preferences. (See the rest of my post.)

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I'm always surprised when couples don't talk about important stuff. Like there's only a handfull of dealbreakers, stuff like that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone in a relationship. It's like moving in together and not talking about finances or suddenly saying to your SO that you never want children.

Dating a dog owner and not wanting dogs is kinda something you should talk about. Very weird that your boyfriend decided not to and then suddenly drop it on you like a bad surprise.

I don't want a dog either. But i have always made sure that i'm not in a serious relationship with someone who has or wants a dog. Like that shouldn't be a surprise when it's a dealbreaker.

How would you ever live together if one of you wants a dog and the other don't? One of you have to give in.

Oct 27, 2017
That's right, I wont.

I feel sorry for that poor animal. Hopefully your parents ignore your hangup and allow the dog indoors. If you don't like it, move. Not all breeds are meant to live outdoors.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
I grew up with having a dog living outside in the yard. I could imagine having her inside 24/7, but it just wasn't something we did. But it was a tropical island, so the weather was always a warm 80 degrees F so it was never cold out or anything. She did have a whole area for shelter (a big plaza with a roof, not a doggy house). I could see a dog living inside all the time, but it's not something everyone just has to "get."

Different folks have different life experiences, it's not as simple as A is right and B is wrong. Talk it out and find a balance (aka, you may have to have some small restrictions for where your dog can also go, as a balance).

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of personal preference, we specifically recommend it for the process of early training.

A dog undergoing training will always benefit really simple and consistent structures. Being allowed on a couch could easily lead to them thinking the dining room chairs are fair game too, which could lead to confusion in some chairs being fine and others not. Any confusion in a dog's life slows the training process. Additionally, throw some food that isn't dog friendly on that dining table to cool and while you're not looking they've gotten themselves into potential medical trouble.

It also helps with crate training if their cozy spot is in an open wire crate next to the couch, as opposed to on the couch itself. Two birds, one stone.

That being said, you can establish different kinds of boundaries once your dog is trained enough to understand the commands you'd need. My dog is allowed on the couch if I am on it already. Otherwise, he hangs out in his bed or crate next to it.

Oh good. This advice is fine.

I work in animal training and welfare and end up running into a lot of people who would have given the reason of "to show the dog who is in charge" and then go down a rabbit hole of dominance and all of that nonsense.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Eh I think once he gets to know the dog he'll change his mind.

A lot of people just don't "get" pets until they fall in love with the little furball.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
That's right, I wont.

Dogs are social animals and keeping one outside is depriving them of social contact, attention, and affection. If you aren't willing to provide for all of their needs, don't get a dog.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dog not only lives in the house, he sleeps in my bed.

Hell, he probably sleeps on my bed more than I do tbh.

Yeah, our 2 dogs sleep in bed with us and have full range of the couches. We're obsessed weirdos though when it comes to our dogs and I totally understand people with different rules.

See if he's willing to compromise, if he won't budge than I can't imagine it working out unless you decide to have no dogs at all.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were only on the white people continents
Lol
Yep! They are not sure if domestication happened twice or just once, but dogs basically came out of Africa with us. Even the Native Americans had dogs, so they came across the land bridge.

www.livescience.com

Dogs and Humans Evolved Together, Study Suggests

Dogs and humans have been evolving together over the past 32,000 years, a new study shows
Thanks! Interesting. I never pictured dogs being present everywhere for so much of human history.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
i hope you like being alone i guess.

Lol, okay drama king. Yall need to chill acting like absolutely everyone in the world has or wants dogs. Im fine with dogs but no one is going to "be stuck being alone" if they want to date someone who doesn't want pets. It's not some scarce minority desire. There's plenty of people that don't want pets.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Oh good. This advice is fine.

I work in animal training and welfare and end up running into a lot of people who would have given the reason of "to show the dog who is in charge" and then go down a rabbit hole of dominance and all of that nonsense.
Yeah. I came off as more combative in my first post because of how inflammatory that other guys generalization was. I dropped any attempts at nuance because I was annoyed, so I'm glad you challenged me so I could elaborate.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think your boyfriend just didn't grow up with dogs so it could just take some time for him to get used to the idea. That said though there are disgusting dog owners just like there are disgusting people. It's pretty easy to have an inside dog that is well trained and has good hygiene.