• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love my dog and he gets a free pass on pretty much every room of my house.

I do agree he (my dog) is super spoiled though, and it couldnt be any other way since everyone here at home treats him like a little baby

But I got pretty uncomfortable hearing that from him. I understand it is difficult for others that dont have a pet to understand how intimate the relationship can get between pets and pet owners, but I thought it was really inconvenient from him to say that when he was at my house.

He later apologized saying he shouldnt have said that when it wasnt his house.

Am I wrong at being kind of sad about his reaction? I want a dog when we move together and I would never raise a pet if it wasnt to live with it inside my house.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility. I'd personally never be able to continue dating someone who doesn't like dogs in the house. It's not negotiable.

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility. I'd personally never be able to continue dating someone who likes dogs in the house all over the furniture n shit. It's not negotiable.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
People just have different stances. My SO's father has a couple or hunting dogs. They live outside in huge fenced in areas with nice comfy dog houses. They bring them in the couple nights a year when it's way too cold obviously, but other than that they are outside dogs.

OP
OP
Memento

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility. I'd personally never be able to continue dating someone who doesn't like dogs in the house. It's not negotiable.
Sounds like a pretty fundamental incompatibility. I'd personally never be able to continue dating someone who likes dogs in the house all over the furniture n shit. It's not negotiable.

Heh.

I love him so I am not breaking up, I have never been this happy in my entire life. But I am disappointed.

I do think it is something that could grow on him eventually? My dad never liked dogs at all, to the point that he said they needed to be chained in the garden at all times. 1 month with our puppy and he fell completely in love with him and now he may love the dog more than me lmao

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of 'outdoor dogs' seems pretty much gone at this point around here It's so funny thinking back my grandmother had 2 'outdoor dogs' that only came in when the weather was really bad, super cold or like a hurricane. The dog, Tam, lived In a dog house behind the garage. She loved that dog as much as the 3 dogs she had inside too. But she grew up on a farm in the fucking 20s and so she thought of dogs as much as a utility (hunting small vermin, protection) as much as she did companionship.

That was also the days of "neighborhood dogs" where dogs would just roam the neighborhoods all day with no supervision or owner. Neely was the neighborhood dog in our neighborhood.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people feel the way he does. I grew up knowing there are "inside dogs" and "outside dogs" and it depended on the breed and whether or not you have an adequate yard to keep them in. In colder climates a dog would need a heated shelter and a large fenced-in area to run around in, but personally I've never found it cruel to have a dog kept primarily outside if they have a nice shelter/kennel situation. In fact it's more cruel for a dog to be kept inside all of the time, frankly, the occasional "walk" probably isn't enough for most breeds of dogs to exercise and enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of their natural habitat

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Dogs should have structure.

But they should also be apart of the family.

Like a kid.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of 'outdoor dogs' seems pretty much gone at this point. It's so funny thinking back my grandmother had 2 'outdoor dogs' that only came in when the weather was really bad, super cold or like a hurricane. The dog lived In a dog house.

That was also the days of "neighborhood dogs" where dogs would just roam the neighborhoods all day with no supervision or owner. Neely was the neighborhood dog in our neighborhood.

man, i loved our neighborhood dog.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My home pretty much belongs to Peanut, and the humans are simply permitted to stay with her.

DtWiw1oWwAEtf7O

No one is telling her to stay outside.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have been married for 14 years. If my wife suddenly decided Egon needed to live outside... we'd have a fucking problem.

FHIsjC0l.jpg

You're gonna put THAT pitiful face outside!? I don't fucking think so!

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
My dog is all up in my house at all times. She's a part of the family. I tell her it's bed-time and she hops up and lays next to me. I don't give a fuck.

I'd be mad.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolute deal breaker. If someone said that to me, I would ask them to leave my house immediately. To me, it is important to stand up for what you love and believe in.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Did this not come up before? I assume they would have known you had a dog a while back

Personally I could never even have a dog as a pet, or be with someone who does. Relationships have ended over it, including those that never quite got started. It's not ideal, especially when putting stances on pets aside, you really like said person and get along well.

But I think something like that is better dealt with early and right at the start. Saves time and hurts less feelings in the long run that way

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
it's none of my business whether you want to keep your pets in your house or not

but i hope you extend the same courtesy to me and respect that i don't want your pet in MY house if you come to visit me

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can understand not wanting dogs on your bed or furniture, but outside of the house completely? There must be room for compromise.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I ha e a dog.. she's 9 now. I love her to death.

but I agree with him. Even in her old slowYears just laying around the house makes a ton of hair and dust. Ruins the carpets and pukes all over because she has a sensitive stomach.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The good news is that dads are known to completely change their views on dogs when coming into contact with cute puppies. What I'm saying is you have to have a child with this man before getting a dog together.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who treat dogs and cats like property instead of living, breathing members of the family always get a massive side eye from me.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
A coworker of mine changed her tune hella fast when their dog threw up inside the house.

That little guy lives in the backyard shed now, lmao

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dog not only lives in the house, he sleeps in my bed.

Hell, he probably sleeps on my bed more than I do tbh.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Dogs are amazing. They share a separate bond with you even if you cannot imagine loving your significant other more than you do.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
We have an inside dog (Yorkie). I mean, he's like a cat basically and couldn't hang as an outdoor dog lol. Outdoor dogs are fine unless they're kept in a tiny ass 6x8 foot cage like I've seen some dog owners do. Poor things.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heh.

I love him so I am not breaking up, I have never been this happy in my entire life. But I am disappointed.

I do think it is something that could grow on him eventually? My dad never liked dogs at all, to the point that he said they needed to be chained in the garden at all times. 1 month with our puppy and he fell completely in love with him and now he may love the dog more than me lmao

As someone stated already, that sounds pretty incompatible. I don't think that something like this can "grow" on someone, as someone has a principle of basic stuff (hygiene, what belongs where) when growing up. Stuff like that is a strong fundamental thing. You'd think that the person is doing better with that, but a small incident is sometimes enough to get back to being not ok with it immediately. That's at least my understanding of something like this. Try it, I'd really like to know and keep us updated though. Would love to be incorrect there.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People saying no to digs on beds have clearly never had the joy if taking a nap with three puppers by your side.

Oct 27, 2017
Dogs are family members. He doesn't get to decide where your dog lives in your house. Some things should not be expressed and he should respect you and your relationship with your dog enough to keep that crap to himself.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Our species wouldn't have made it as far as we did without dogs. We owe our existence to them. The least we can do is let them sleep in our beds damn

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly. He could just not be used to the idea. When I was a kid we had a dog that mostly stayed outside unless it was too cold. When we got a dog that stayed inside most of the time it was strange at first.