• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Well we all know there is only one solution to this

e2f391dd7722a26387ff81bae9b2b198.gif

www.youtube.com

Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever - Highlander

Aprenda A Ganhar Dinheiro Na Internet, Acesse: https://bit.ly/fno-2022Who Wants To Live ForeverQueen There's no time for usThere's no place for usWhat is th...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That's not gonna be an issue for me. Almost no one recognizes what my avatar is from, let alone cares about it to actually use it, and I have a like a dozen variants I can swap between.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Avatar is just 1 part of the whole package.

"Fifi avatar + Long detailed post I enjoy with reading"

I also enjoyed the changes to the avatar over time. The consistent theme is comforting.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I was randomly checking in on the old site and found somebody using my avatar šŸ™„

I used to be Larry David on the old site. Might revert to him.

By the way, for somebody with no artistic talent, you did a pretty, pretty good job of your avatar.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
honestly I'm surprised very few people have a "hand" avatar. Maybe it's because hands are not faces...

Oct 27, 2017
All my avatars have come from cover art of William Gibson books like Neuromancer or Count Zero which is my current avy. I've seen others around the net who uses the same artwork which only reinforces that there's some cool fucking art on cyberpunk novels.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I used to have super hand. Then someone else made a profile actually called super hand and I realised I had to let it go...

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
There's someone on here with the same locoroco avatar (though maybe not transparent), but I don't mind. I like running into people with it when I'm playing Rocket League on the PlayStation, I call them locobros (none of them have ever responded lol).

At the old place I used screenshots I'd take of locoroco, and holiday themes or a Mario cap or what have you. A lot more personalized but essentially pointless. I didn't even use an avatar here for a long time, I only did after I realized people without avatars are sometimes unfairly criticized in certain contexts.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Now you've done it. People are gonna steal your avatar to troll you.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes when I look in the mirror too long and really look at myself, not just the details, I start to feel a very strong feeling of disassociation. Like as if that weren't my body. But it's there in the mirror. And I feel like I am in a stranger's body. This gets so bad that I have to stop looking in the mirror and get away from it.

This happen with anyone else?

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I remember seeing someone else with a Red Dead Revolver avatar and thinking to myself "hey what a cool dude".

Then I realised it was just an old post of mine with an older version of my profile pic (I used to modify Red based on the flavour of the month at the time).

My assessment still stands

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
No idea is original, and as it is some random on twitter has the same avatar but it's not nearly as good as yours, their audience is nothing to do with you.

Own it. That's the first rule of avatar business strategy.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
And yet I feel... compromised. To look on my own image and see not myself has thrust me coldly in to the reflecting pool.

I get what you mean in context of the OP but isn't corporate assimilation kind of the point of being a suit w/o a head?

you might have to get a neck tattoo.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this thread. Is this a joke or U serious

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Never felt that particular about an avatar or bothered to have one custom-made, but I have seen my avatar once on here. The only thing that bothered me was that it was lower resolution (and maybe even stretched). Though I added a flair of purple to mine.

The worst thing would probably be a doppelgƤnger that posted vile, racist shit.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a headless suit. To me, being a suit was better than being President of the United States. Even before I first wandered into the chatroom for an after-school troll, I knew what I wanted for my avatar.

I have always taken this form. Back in the bad old days I used imagery specifically from Elite Beat Agents. I made this in Paint based on a few different sprite rips and cleaned it up one pixel at a time.

d806ae76-ffe5-4afb-86otjul.png

But over time I moved away from my EBA origins. I have no artistic talent to speak of ā€” I struggle very much with pen and pencil, digital or otherwise. But wanting something truly original, I made something all myself. It looked terrible, but it was my own work and I was proud of that.

ee6be876-4a25-49ee-a3akj40.png

But I knew it could be better. Over the next few months I saved to properly pay an artist to redraw the art from scratch with some actual talent. I started with an artist here I really admired who produced a sketch for me to use as a basis going forward.

e8080e7f-78cf-4e73-afqj99.jpeg

Then I found an artist on Twitter who I asked to redraw it however they wanted and I would pay them regardless of the result. She returned me this, which I wore briefly as my first professionally drawn avatar.

44e0807b-8519-4254-bwgkfr.jpeg

But I didn't love the posture and wanted something a little more tradmasc, so I found a fledgling artist who I was impressed with specifically because of how they drew men's fashion. I approached them with my concept and they brought back the first "perfect" version of the avatar, which I wore from then on. To a lot of people on the internet, this is what I look like. This is Finale Fireworker.

22ab080f-6f17-432a-8f1ojk0.png

c8962a02-b96f-40c4-b71skeu.png

But mid-2019 to mid-2020 was a rough time for me. I went through a lot of things that really pushed me to the brink of my personal fortitude. Without paying too much mind to the diversion, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. But I did. And as I worked through this stuff, I felt like it was time for a change. It was time to switch out of the suit ā€” at least for a while ā€” and in to business casual. A very talented friend of mine redrew my avatar yet again as a gift into the shirt and suspenders I wear to today.

My avatar, my consistent face online, has followed me through many formative years of my life. It is how I've presented and how I've been perceived for close to 10 years. At no point in this continuum have I ever looked any different online and I never doubted what I looked like. This was me.

Enter @SuccessfulStra3, a random account that showed up on my timeline as a promoted tweet: https://twitter.com/successfulstra3?s=21

They are a mundane account. They have 7,000 followers and mostly tweet vague affirmations and aspirations about "business" and "doing business." But their avatar is... me.

eb5ded1c-bca1-4a8d-9ltkzc.jpeg

I know logically that this is not really me. I am not a creative genius. It is very normal and natural that someone else would have come up with this idea at some point. The imagery probably occurred to them just as easily as it occurred to me. I do not believe they stole it from me or that my insignificant existence had any influence on this equally insignificant Twitter account.

And yet I feel... compromised. To look on my own image and see not myself has thrust me coldly in to the reflecting pool. What do I do now? Who am I? If someone else can be me, who was I ever? Can I still be me knowing that someone else is too?

I have seen my doppelgƤnger. I rehearsed this moment so many times in my head. I knew that if I faced them with imperfect courage I would end up trapped in the Black Lodge ā€” maybe forever. And now that they are here I know I have failed this test of character. By virtue of their existence, my own existence has ceased.

Really makes you think. Maybe I should reinvent myself.
I know how you feel.

After we moved over from The Old Place, another person took my username and exact avatar and started making posts.

I STILL get annoyed to this day when I see them post and the mods said that it was first come first served so they get to keep my persona until they get banned or act out of character. Wooo.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The core sentiment is genuine but I am heavily embellishing for dramatic emphasis. Knowing that my avatar is no longer unique is a bummer, but I am not actually Ray Liotta trapped in another dimension because I faced my shadow self with cowardice.

Their avatar is slimmer than yours. Suggests they're perhaps younger and fitter. Aside from reflecting your advancing years, you may gain some solace from the additional experience it provides. They may wear a suit but they're probably working in the mail room or some simple admin job, where you're headed for a nice corner office with a fancy chair. You may wear a similar uniform but you're obviously very different people and a simple suit doesn't fully describe who you are underneath that

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Someone confused me with some other ZZT fan a while ago. They had apparently had a nasty Game of Thrones debate in the past. I've never ever watched Game of Thrones.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Tbf that pose in a suit is quite generic. I suppose it's good that it's not directly copied by the other person.
Anyway your current avatar is more unique imo.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the solution is to become trousers. The question is what kind of socks you decide to wear. ā¤ socks? Formal socks? No socks at all? Barefoot? Your positioning can also be altered. Are you standing? Sitting? Lying down on your back? Leaning on a wall? Balancing yourself on one foot? Stretching your legs?

Alternatively, become the disturbed reflection you see facing you from the body of water. Complete with ripples and other disturbances representing your now shattered perception.

Last edited:

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can understand this a bit. I've been using this photo I took of my dog (slightly modified for support of pride) for around 10ish years, before that it was just a standard picture of my dog in the 5 or so internet years prior.

We had to finally put our dog to sleep recently. He was over 15 years old and just too old to move around anymore. He had a great life and was very loved. Whenever I post something and look at my avatar I feel a twinge of sadness.

I'd like to continue using my dog as my 'online face' but don't want to feel bad every time I post something. I also feel, justified or not that I helped usher in the golden age of dog avatars. I see them all over the place now. Lol. šŸ˜ž

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Man, I'd be super weirded out if that happened to me. Even though, since this is just a screenshot from a very bad but somewhat known movie, it's not impossible...