• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Both terrible but I'd say Bleach is extra terrible ending for so many reasons including all the characters making completely asinine life decisions that were the reverse of what their character development should have led them to.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Yeah, which tbf skelly boy was top dog until Starrk showed up so I can see him being pissed about that.

Oh right, I remember now, his release had the broken crown while his flashback hollow farm had a legit crown. Would have liked to see how Starrk showing up through a wrench into everything.

But we also have whatever that #10 guy was (forgot his name) show up and erase his 1 to make himself #0 like.......what

Come on, Kubo lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bleach's ending really wasn't that bad. It was rushed, yeah, but the message was good - ultimately Yhwach wanted to create a world without death and, as Aizen explained it, death gives life meaning, just as fear gives us courage. It was actually quite a good clash of ideology, especially in light of previous conversations held by the likes of Urahara and Mayuri. There was a recurring theme that people need something to strive for, something to fight for, because otherwise what's the point? Letting someone else create a perfect world is nowhere near as satisfying as trying and failing and succeeding at creating that world with your own hands.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't we get characters in bleach who were killed off screen?

like did Urahara die?

also that ending to naruto didn't that happen because Madara was too strong in the end? Which tbh he really was.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, I remember now, his release had the broken crown while his flashback hollow farm had a legit crown. Would have liked to see how Starrk showing up through a wrench into everything.

But we also have whatever that #10 guy was (forgot his name) show up and erase his 1 to make himself #0 like.......what

Come on, Kubo lol

Oh yeah, for sure. I'd take a lil mini-prequel arc about Starrk, he needs the spotlight lol.

fucking yammy, lmao. He definitely did not end up deserving that spot. He got absolutely wrecked.

Nov 17, 2017
But stories can have mulitple themes tho and clearly what drew alot of people to Naruto was the "you can do great things if you work hard enough" theme
And does Naruto not work hard? He constantly does. Doesn't change the fact that the 9 Tails was in him from the get-go but people act like Naruto was always a normal kid until some point in Shippuden. Kurama bails Naruto out as early as the Haku fight. What was that arc primarily about? Hard work? No, it was about the cycle of violence and bonds.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Both are bad. Both are some of the worst kinds of bad, but Naruto reveled in just how bad it was and the ninja war was a clusterfuck of stupid with escalations, power-ups, and reveals even worse than Bleach. Now that's a bad ending.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

also that ending to naruto didn't that happen because Madara was too strong in the end? Which tbh he really was.

Not really. That's just a fan theory. Kaguya was stronger than Madara anyway.

What probably happened is that the idea for Boruto was finalized.

Kaguya seems to have been a launchpad villain to follow up on for the Naruto sequel.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

Come on, Kubo lol
All this to end as a fucking fodder to 2 Captains offscreen.
Like cool reveal but pointless in the worst way.
Bleach's ending really wasn't that bad. It was rushed, yeah, but the message was good - ultimately Yhwach wanted to create a world without death and, as Aizen explained it, death gives life meaning, just as fear gives us courage. It was actually quite a good clash of ideology, especially in light of previous conversations held by the likes of Urahara and Mayuri. There was a recurring theme that people need something to strive for, something to fight for, because otherwise what's the point? Letting someone else create a perfect world is nowhere near as satisfying as trying and failing and succeeding at creating that world with your own hands.
This is literally said by the bad guy out of the blue literal seconds before he dies!
I doubt Ichigo even knew that was in play in any way before that happened.
And does Naruto not work hard? He constantly does. Doesn't change the fact that the 9 Tails was in him from the get-go but people act like Naruto was always a normal kid until some point in Shippuden. Kurama bails Naruto out as early as the Haku fight. What was that arc primarily about? Hard work? No, it was about the cycle of violence and bonds.
I haven't even watched Shippuden and even I know that the goddamn amount of flashbacks make sure you never forget that was never the case.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Both endings were really bad yeah, but I don't remember being disappointed necessarily. I mean the anime's had sucked for a while.

I'll be more curious to see what the threads look like in 10 years when One Piece ends and we can compare all 3. That will be interesting... I mean there's no way they wrap that story up well enough to satisfy everyone, but on the other hand the show is arguably stronger now than its ever been.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Not really. That's just a fan theory. Kaguya was stronger than Madara anyway.

What probably happened is that the idea for Boruto was finalized.

Kaguya seems to have been a launchpad villain to follow up on for the Naruto sequel.
I do remember Kishi saying in interviews that he had trouble ending Naruto because he didn't see how Madara could lose.
That probably factored in how Madara is basically sidelined just when he was at his strongest.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Both endings were really bad yeah, but I don't remember being disappointed necessarily. I mean the anime's had sucked for a while.

I'll be more curious to see what the threads look like in 10 years when One Piece ends and we can compare all 3. That will be interesting... I mean there's no way they wrap that story up well enough to satisfy everyone, but on the other hand the show is arguably stronger now than its ever been.
One Piece will have a satisfying ending.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017

I've been out of the loop for awhile, god. Naruto just feels like ages ago.

But wasn't Naruto's FIRST major feat using the Shadow Clone jutsu, which is already a high level technique, and using it to summon more clones than was thought possible at the time without killing yourself?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I do remember Kishi saying in interviews that he had trouble ending Naruto because he didn't see how Madara could lose.
That probably factored in how Madara is basically sidelined just when he was at his strongest.

I don't believe he said he had trouble ending Naruto. I believe he said he didn't know how Madara was going to lose because he made him too strong.

Gege just seems like a better writer so far than either Kubo or Kishi, well so far at least.

I think so too. He does better with the Team 7 formula than Kishimoto ever did for example.

At least Kenpachi got a Bankai.

Unohana had to die so Kenpachi could get bankai and use it once against an enemy.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

like did Urahara die?

It's honestly slightly worse: it's probable that almost no one actually (permanently) died at all, rather.

I'm pretty sure basically everyone who didn't explicitly get super dead on-screen is back by the time Can't Fear Your Own World kicks off. The zombies are basically just normal-alive again, everyone who was in the Death Ball or smacked straight off the panel by Thor turns out to be okay, etc. It's basically just the Old Guard and most of the Sternritters who stay dead.

Honestly it's one of the more disappointing points, as the way (for example) Kira just gets dropped on the spot was part of what sold it as being an actual war and not just another Karakura Town "let's all line up and punch it out" scenario.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Hey you can marry both theories.

So what had happened was originally Kishi wanted Naruto and Sauce to beat Madara and then Black Zetsu pops up going "AHA ITS NOT OVER YET, MEET MY MOMMA!" But then he couldn't figure out a way for them to beat Madara fairly so he just had Black Zetsu hit Madara with the nothing personal kid to get it over with.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I dunno if they're even comparable, Kubo's health lead to him bailing on the final arc half way through, giving it a half assed ending. It clearly wasn't the ending Kubo planned, but he wasn't healthy enough/motivated enough to give Bleach a proper conclusion. Naruto was what Kishi intended, and it was largely terrible.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
But stories can have mulitple themes tho and clearly what drew alot of people to Naruto was the "you can do great things if you work hard enough" theme

People keep saying this and I'm wondering if I'm just imagining the multiple MULTIPLE chapters / episodes of Naruto slowly grinding out training on
how to create the Rasengan
how to use the wind element
how to channel sage chakra
how to harness the Kyubi's power

The one real cheat Naruto got was from the Sage of Six Paths - which I'll cop to, but at the same time you could argue that it's the "reward" he receives for getting to that point, he's worked to prove himself worthy of that power.

Not to mention how much he busts his ass trying to get people to come around to his side. The whole talk-no-justu thing works for Naruto not only because he constantly has faith in people, but he works hard to keep winning them over. I remember a thread here where more than a few people straight up said Naruto should have just given up on Sasuke, but THAT would have been the thing that went against the "never give up, keep pushing" ethos of the story.

And on topic, if Naruto had ended right after Kaguya's defeat and Sasuke had decided things were all good, Slayven would be correct, but the final fight between them redeems the ending - not enough for it to be great, or even good, but it ain't Bleach.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
At least Kenpachi got a Bankai.

That could have been cut and no one would have known.

I don't believe he said he had trouble ending Naruto. I believe he said he didn't know how Madara was going to lose because he made him too strong.

I get what you mean but for the point of my argument you're saying the same thing.

Unohana had to die to Kenpachi could get bankai and use it once against an enemy.
And it wasn't even effective or anything.

It's honestly slightly worse: it's probable that almost no one actually (permanently) died at all, rather.

I'm pretty sure basically everyone who didn't explicitly get super dead on-screen is back by the time Can't Fear Your Own World kicks off. The zombies are basically just normal-alive again, everyone who was in the Death Ball or smacked straight off the panel by Thor turns out to be okay, etc. It's basically just the Old Guard and most of the Sternritters who stay dead.

Honestly it's one of the more disappointing points, as the way (for example) Kira just gets dropped on the spot was part of what sold it as being an actual war and not just another Karakura Town "let's all line up and punch it out" scenario.
Unohana got the Gin treatment and is like super dead because Kubo can't have a cool character like that alive for no reason.

Hey you can marry both theories.

So what had happened was originally Kishi wanted Naruto and Sauce to beat Madara and then Black Zetsu pops up going "AHA ITS NOT OVER YET, MEET MY MOMMA!" But then he couldn't figure out a way for them to beat Madara fairly so he just had Black Zetsu hit Madara with the nothing personal kid to get it over with.
I guess.
It kinds of feel like the manga was meandering at that point and he couldn't properly stick all his plot points nicely (we did get that 8 gates reveal though so that one was nice).
It really felt expedient in that it managed to reduce the number of active people to just like 4 and a well defined villain that you can make a satisfying clash.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
They were both ass, but at least were generally nice to look at.

I will give this one to Bleach though. It was consistent with the bullshit it was pulling.

Naruto was achieving new heights of bullshit.

Battle Shonen?

....FMA had a decent ending.

If you ignore Uub then Dragon Ball has a decent ending

This is too much to ignore.

Also, every arc was way too long and the themes were constantly resetting.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Shonen?

IIrc Dragon Ball's ending was always a point of contention when it was in jump. It just kind of comes out of nowhere tbh. It's why GT was put into production in the first place because fans wanted more.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Unohana got the Gin treatment and is like super dead because Kubo can't have a cool character like that alive for no reason.

I guess what he was going for was a "changing of the guard" moment, so basically all the characters who had been around for a thousand years got offed for good, and everyone else got to come back in one way or another. Honestly, I think Byakuya should have stayed down (he really contributed nothing that he couldn't have done as a memory/flashback from there on), Hitsugaya should have been re-deaded after becoming a zombie, etc.

Maybe I'm in the minority on that, but if I had a complaint about TYBW it's that it starts out feeling extremely final and desperate, and by the end it seems like everyone's fighting with wiffleball bats for some reason, up to and including Yhwach just sort of taking up sword-breaking as a bizarre and somewhat contrived alternative to, you know, murder.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
They're both awful but Naruto at least tried to tell a coherent story and attempted to resolve everything

Nov 17, 2017
I've been out of the loop for awhile, god. Naruto just feels like ages ago.

But wasn't Naruto's FIRST major feat using the Shadow Clone jutsu, which is already a high level technique, and using it to summon more clones than was thought possible at the time without killing yourself?
Yeah, that is basically what happens. People tend to have a revised memory of what happens in early Naruto compared to where it went. Rock Lee, the poster child for people who say Naruto was all about hard work and nothing else, gets crippled by a guy with a sand spirit inside him.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Battle Shonen?

FMA is an excellent example, probably one famous example of a well
IIrc Dragon Ball's ending was always a point of contention when it was in jump. It just kind of comes out of nowhere tbh. It's why GT was put into production in the first place because fans wanted more.
I mean it's Dragon Ball, fan will ALWAYS want more
I guess what he was going for was a "changing of the guard" moment, so basically all the characters who had been around for a thousand years got offed for good, and everyone else got to come back in one way or another. Honestly, I think Byakuya should have stayed down (he really contributed nothing that he couldn't have done as a memory/flashback from there on), Hitsugaya should have been re-deaded after becoming a zombie, etc.

Maybe I'm in the minority on that, but if I had a complaint about TYBW it's that it starts out feeling extremely final and desperate, and by the end it seems like everyone's fighting with wiffleball bats for some reason, up to and including Yhwach just sort of taking up sword-breaking as a bizarre and somewhat contrived alternative to, you know, murder.
Except if you have karma houdinis that nothing will ever put down like Captain nazi doctor.
It's really a mess and the themes are badly implemented so it never really make sense.
Kubo should have found a real use to the stealing bankai method instead of the lame reset button that serves no purpose.
And somehow mastered bankai that do the same shit but different because Kubo wants a reason to do cool panels without earning it.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
Bleach's ending was far far worse...which had much to do with the fact the author was sick, with severed tendon and got immediately hospitalized as soon as the manga finished...which of course no here gives a shit about such silly excuse because "HAHA! Kubo sux".

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kenshin has a great ending. Kenji is adorable. That new Kenshin manga doesn't exist

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean in that part of the arc you gotta be more precise.
There's like 5 or 6 swords that make no sense taking precious pages.
Props for the lethal dose power, that's legit creative and well made.
the mirror sword that was cursed or something.

I like when that one Vizard was winning until he told the Quincy exactly how he power worked.The music dude