• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
Possibly kind of an early new years resolution. I have allowed my backlog to clog up again after selling a lot of it in the summer, and now I am determined to clear it. Got a couple of things in mind

- I don't necessarily have to finish the game, if I decide to sell it cos I don't like it, that's ok too, the point is, off the list.
- I'm only counting games I've never played all the way through before. I have played through Pokemon heart gold about 30 times for example, so I'm content to leave another play through for now.
- finished in the sense of having played all the way to the end of the story. Not all collectibles say, of a game, unless I really like it and want to do it, which is different.
- I'm not including the whole gamepass catalogue here, for arguments sake, I mean stuff I've either downloaded or already own and or started.
- I am not buying a single new video game until I have cleared at least a substantial part of this list.

Anyway, the list

Halo Combat Evolved (about 30% through)
Halo 2 ( maybe 80% through)
Halo 4 (Maybe 40%)
Halo 5 (50%)
Gears of War Ultimate.
Alan Wake
Resident Evil 4
Sonic Mania
Steamworld Dig 1 & 2
Transistor
Daemon X Machina
Luigi's Mansion 3
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Shovel Knight (Just the main campaign for now anyway)
Ori and the Blind Forest
Valkyria Chronicles (The first one)
Kamiko (This is super short right?)
Okami HD
Final Fantasy III, IV, VII, VIII, and IX, and XII, and XIII.
Ni No Kuni 1
Superhot
Velocity 2X
Salt and Sanctuary
Resident Evil Revelations
I am Setsuna
Hollow Knight (technically I could finish this right now, but I want to get a good ending)
Hellblade
Axiom Verge
Cuphead
Celeste
Rage 2
Cadence of Hyrule Birth of the Necrodancer
Bioshock
The World Ends With You
Sonic Colours
Kirby Power Paintbrush
Walking Dead all the seasons.
Shadow of the Colossus
Killzone Shadowfall
Red Dead Redemption 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War 2018
Gravity Rush 2
Zelda Links Awakening
Pokemon Sword & Shield
Splatoon 2
Mario Maker 2 (Weird single player campaign anyway)
Metroid Samus Returns 3D
Bravely Default
Detective Pikachu
Zelda Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks
Chrono Trigger
Yoshi's Touch and Go
Yoshi's New Island
Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story 3DS, and Superstar Saga
Mario 3D Land
Counterspy
Sleeping Dogs
Recore
Medal of Honour Airborne
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Blue Dragon
Sunset Overdrive
Child of Light
Heavenly Sword
Ratchet & Clank HD collection
Metal Gear Solid 4

Completed

Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Titanfall 2
Gears of War 3
Rise of the Tombraider

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I've got around 500+ games I know I'll never touch, all on Steam.

Honestly not bothered. It's too late for me. Go on without me.

Jan 15, 2018
I wish you luck. Every time I try to commit to working through my backlog, I get through a handful of games and then something new and cool comes out.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good luck. 500+ Games on steam alone so I'll need at least another lifetime and my console/handheld backlog is mostly jrpgs.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing this for a while, down to 17 games on steam. I will play through the remaining games even if I don't really like them to remind myself not to buy shit I don't really need or want.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Can't say I'm with you, chief. Best of luck to you, though.

I probably couldn't play every game I've bought to completion, even if I stopped buying new games for several years

I keep a list of games that are "higher priority" in the backlog though, basically every big game (i.e. not in a Humble Bundle or similar) I've bought in the past year or two:

PS4:
Yakuza Ishin
Fist of the North Star
Spider-Man (just the last DLC, already 100%ed base game + the first two DLCs)
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Bloodborne + DLC
Death Stranding

Switch:
FE:3H
Phoenix Wright Trilogy
Link's Awakening
DQXIS
Luigi's Mansion 3
Pokemon Sword
DQB2

PC:
ESO expansions
NieR: Automata
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Sunset Overdrive
FFXV
FFXII
FFVIII
Nioh
Monster Hunter World
RE2
Sekiro
Yakuza Kiwami 2
RDR2

Again, these are just the high priority ones, I own most of the games on your list but I'm not sure I've beat any of them

Every time I sit down to play games though, I think to myself "do I want to dive into something new or just keep playing FFXIV" and I keep choosing FFXIV

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through that many Final Fantasies alone seems like a daunting taask.

I'm also trying to focus more on what I already own, but never want gaming to feel like an obligation to me so I'd rather not turn it into work. Even with just my console library, Xbox O.G., 360, and XB1; I way too much to play. A good game is a good game, no matter the age. It's important not to get too caught into the hype on sites like this. Personally, I don't plan on buying much else apart from some used older titles until Scarlett drop or Black Friday comes along.

For better or worse, I'm with ya CormoranStrike

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
My backlog was 100+ in 2017. Been consciously working the list down since 2018. Im down to 72 now (I have bought several games since then, so I have made quite a bit of progress and Im proud).

Idk how I can do this "with you", but Im all for the community.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Playing through that many Final Fantasies alone seems like a daunting taask.

I'm also trying to focus more on what I already own, but never want gaming to feel like an obligation to me. Even with just my console library, Xbox O.G., 360, and XB1; I way too much to play. A good game is a good game. It's important not to get too caught into the hype on sites like this. Personally, I don't plan on buying much else apart from some used older titles until Scarlett drop or Black Friday comes along.

For better or worse, I'm with ya CormoranStrike
The worst part about the final fantasy games is how many times I've started Them, then stopped cos something else came out, then traded it in, rebought it and restarted it, etc. Like I first bought final fantasy III in 2006 when it came out for the DS. And I got TWEWY and chrono trigger on DS release dates.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Na, I personally found it healthy to just play them till they bore me and then leave them there. This hobby demands a lot of time just to finish one game and I've decided to not let that dumb guilt get to me. That's just me tho, good luck to everyone doing this.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
nah I'm good. The only defense against the backlog buildup is play the games as soon as you buy. I stick to around 2 games tops a month these days. If I don't play them within 2 weeks of buying them for some reason they get refunded (Steam-PC).

I beat all the major ps4 exclusives too that I wanted like Spidey, GoW, Horizon Zero, etc. I feel like I'm in great shape

I am working on Witcher 3 right now which I've been playing for yrs off & on. Finally closing in on the end of the original story. I bought Witcher 3 back before I made the current rule I live by but I'm glad I did

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting this out with my 700+ games (103 complete) and more on the consoles. I wish you luck on your goal.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish you luck, OP.
I won't be clearing my backlog, but I do want to play at least a few games I missed this gen before PS5 comes out.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm with you, OP. Tho my backlog is a lot smaller than yours. My plan is to be finished with all my games in time for Doom Eternal.

Good thing that I'm on paid vacation for 3 months starting Jan 2nd. :D

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I recommend picking a small chunk out of the list and focusing on those games.

Then picking a new bunch when you're done with those. See the list as your library you occasionally rent from.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Gotta pass on this. I used to be more fervent about clearing my backlog but I enjoy games more when I don't feel pressured to blow through them for the sake of knocking them off a list.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't buy any games during the last steam sale, I just added them to my wishlist so that I remember to come back and purchase when I'm ready to play them.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
tenor.gif

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
Not 100% in but def reducing how many new games I buy moving forward. My backlog is 500+ games..

Somehow have resisted the urge to buy any of the big Ninty games all year so far when in the past those were insta buys for me...

I used to buy games for my collection to 'support' my fav companies.

I think I finally realized how much money I was pissing away buying all these new games on release just to sit on my shelf in the wrapper collecting dust. I hope I'm cured because what a waste..

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If you gave me a billion dollars and I had assistants do all the housework and cooking and I didn't have to work a job I still couldn't clear my backlog if I lived to 300.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
1000+ Steam games along with tons of console games from multiple generations means my backlog dies with me.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Iv e been trying to to this too. Mine isn't as huge as most, but it's got a few sizable RPGs. Gonna take several months!

KLonso

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn I'll try but years of PS Plus and Steam sales have led to a backlog to behold.

The upswing of this is that now I don't buy much during Steam sales because I pretty much own all of the games I'd want (barring new releases)

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I managed to do it this year, though my list was only about a third as big as yours OP, and 2019 hasn't exactly been packed (though I've enjoyed the new releases I have played).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I have hundreds of games across decades of systems (most packed away) that are in my backlog. This ain't happening!

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Maybe the OP can sale some of those games (if bought physical)? This way you won't feel pressured to play all those old games