• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
I am done supporting Tencent in light of their actions against the protesters in Hong Kong. COD Mobile is a fun game, but I refuse to Tencent right now.

Edit: Lots of hot takes in this thread. I'm merely thinking this through out loud, especially given that Tencent developed this game directly, and because it is something that I have been playing a lot recently. Obviously Tencent is a massive company, obviously we are living in a global economy where it is impossible to decouple all business from the governments they are linked to. But Tencent is one of the Chinese media providers that directly made the decision to cut the NBA from their programming, and therefore are inviting this controversy. My American ISPs and media providers have a whole host of problems (including some censorship/algorithmic amplification related issues as well). But the decision by Tencent to cut the NBA due to a comment made by a private individual, is just too blatant to ignore.

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Well you're gonna have a very hard time because Tencent has money on pretty much everything

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
If you're boycotting Tencent like this then you may as well quit playing games all together

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
If I wanted to live my live like this I'd have to avoid buying anything that comes from the US. It would be pretty hard

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
interesting how this entire thread turned its negativity towards the op rather than bigger issues here. What do y'all get out devaluing op's protest

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that it took Hong Kong for people to wake up about the Fascists running China, but not the years ongoing genocide and organ-harvesting of Muslims going on under the Xitler regime.

Xi Final-Solution'ing Muslims? i sleep

Activision disqualifying an eSports player? REAL SHIT?!

nareik

Mar 25, 2019
What source do you need? Tencent and Nintendo are working as close as two gaming companies get to launch Switch and first party games in China

There's a difference between 'working together' and 'investing in / owned by' which is what I thought you were implying.

That doesn't distract from the fact I disagree with them working together.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Are you willing to boycott ActiBlizzard after the recent actions taken against those who support Hong Kong?

For context, head to the link below: https://www.resetera.com/threads/blizzard-has-removed-hong-kong-hearthstone-player-blitzchung-from-hearthstone-grand-masters-and-rescinded-all-his-prize-money.145695/page-14 So after I woke up today, I was pondering what I could do in a meaningful way to...

edit: thinking about it further, this is not the exactly the same, so disregard my post.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
interesting how this entire thread turned its negativity towards the op rather than bigger issues here. What do y'all get out devaluing op's protest

mostly because if you live in the united states basically every piece of consumer electronics is linked to the chinese government's business interests, and it's like, it's cool if you want to protest but at the same time actually untangling yourself from supporting chinese government's business interests is gonna take a lot more work.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tencent also is the developer of WeChat which is used to monitor and track the movements and thoughts of Chinese citizens and they explicitly developed their app to aid the CCP in the tracking and genocide of the Uyghurs.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Well you're gonna have a very hard time because Tencent has money on pretty much everything

This is fallacious. Every little thing you can do to chip away at Tencent's profit margins is a good thing that adds to a general trend even if you can't hit everything.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed that it took Hong Kong for people to wake up about the Fascists running China, but not the years ongoing genocide and organ-harvesting of Muslims going on under the Xitler regime.

Xi Final-Solution'ing Muslims? i sleep

Activision disqualifying an eSports player? REAL SHIT?!

Humans are mostly selfish i guess. The good thing about the NBA, Blizzard , South park events is that they bought attention to Hong Kong matters . I am not sure most even know or cares about the Muslims in China even with these recent spotlight on China. Even Muslims countries and Hong Kong doesn't really care about them.....

Edit.

Honestly, this applies to me too, i only read the news and did noting.

I still import and buy cheap stuffs from China.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
If you're gonna stop to use everything from companies because they do shit, better live in a cave. Can you do your part? Sure. But in the end, you just gonna private yourself of something you enjoy.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
What source do you need? Tencent and Nintendo are working as close as two gaming companies get to launch Switch and first party games in China

because what OP is doing is pointless..
I was unaware of this tencent issue before this thread. I am aware of it now because of op's protest.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to stop playing Tencent affiliated games. That includes Unreal Engine based games.

People are fighting for their livelihood and people think boycotting is some grandstanding. Yeah... no. Take a stand.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm not a real believer in consumer advocacy, but I won't begrudge or judge you for doing what you can.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
mostly because if you live in the united states basically every piece of consumer electronics is linked to the chinese government's business interests, and it's like, it's cool if you want to protest but at the same time actually untangling yourself from supporting chinese government's business interests is gonna take a lot more work.
Bringing awareness to others is an important part of that work.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna stop to use everything from companies because they do shit, better live in a cave. Can you do your part? Sure. But in the end, you just gonna private yourself of something you enjoy.

I don't understand this mentality, we are spoiled for choice in this day and age for video games. 20 years ago you might've had a point. Now? 3 consoles, PC, mobile markets and way too much choice for software. We have it so good that indie devs are bitching about their games getting lost in the crowd.

Jan 29, 2018
A lot of people in here seem to think that you can't take a stand on something if you don't take a stand on everything. Life doesn't work that way.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if you continue play their F2P games, but never ever give them any money?

The irony in that is that your participation in a f2p game even without spending money is incentive for whales to keep playing and spending money. Whales need other players to not only play against but to show off their bling.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The irony in that is that your participation in a f2p game even without spending money is incentive for whales to keep playing and spending money. Whales need other players to not only play against but to show off their bling.
what if i continously insult them for being dummies and spending too much money on the game?