• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you think the Dualsense will cost?

• Under $60 USD

Votes: 31 1.7%
  • $60ish USD

Votes: 483 26.8%
  • Over $60 USD

Votes: 1,052 58.3%
  • Way too goddamn much

Votes: 239 13.2%

• Total voters

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's no secret that Nintendo is basically a big jerk with the price of the Joycons never budging from >$60--especially since those stupid things break as easily as the wall that the Kool-Aid Man bursts through. The Xbox 1 pad and the Dualshock 4 aren't much better, though you can always get them on sale if you're (un)lucky enough to need to buy a new one when they happen to be on sale. Or if you're smart enough/able to afford buying back-up controllers.

Either way, I'm firmly of the opinion that having a mandatory peripheral for a console be the price of a full-price game--or higher, depending on where you live--is bullshit. If your controller dies for any reason, you're screwed. Just outright, no way around it, screwed. With retail stores more or less closed it's double-screwed because you may be waiting weeks to have a controller delivered.

I can only imagine that with all of the bells and whistles that the DualSense has, that little piece of hardware is going to be way too expensive for far too features that developers are going to take advantage of.

So what's everyone's prediction for the price of the over-engineered (imo) Dualsense? I'm thinking $80 MSRP.

sammyc

Jul 14, 2019
Im really excited about the dual sense, can't wait to get my hands on it and experience it for myself. But yes, it won't be cheap.

Nov 2, 2018
Say what you will Sony really has hyped the features. I'm way more excited for this then I was the touchpad and speaker. I'll know in about 10 minutes if I fell for the marketing but I am excite

There's something about it and 3D audio which really scream next gen to me.

If it doesn't well I wonder if we'll seen other adaptive button like the analogue sticks. People moaned how uninspired walking through snow was in red dead holding the stick down - imagine if you had to force the stick down to really get the character through the snow

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You can pick up a Dualshock 4 for £45 brand new so I'm expecting the DualSense to come in at £60-65.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I'll only need the controller packed in with the Box but it would be fucking awful to have to buy another 3 controllers just to get in some overcooked or whatever because they ain't gonna be cheap.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
At most it will be $70 just because MS is charging that much for their controller, but there is no reason to believe it will be any higher. The stuff that they have added doesn't cost all that much over what's in the PS4 controller.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo already opened the door for $80, so that's kind of what I'm expecting. I know the DS is much more advanced than the Joy-Cons, but they're going to have a very hard time getting people to buy a $100 controller.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Expecting it to still be cheaper than the Switch Pro controller, just because that thing is crazy overpriced (as are the joycons).

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this'll be something. Wary of ultra expensive controllers that will fail (hi nintendo). All that fancy haptic stuff will add to the price and I'll just end up turning it all off anyways 😔

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
70$ imo.

They want you to buy as much of their stuff as possible.

Maybe 80$ but not more.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will be be at least $75 I would say, so much packed into that controller, and they charged $60-$65 for a DS4.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Probably $80. I know dual shock 4 is a completely different controller, but can you use it on PS5? Doesn't bother me either way

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
$60-70, fortunately I won't have to buy one though since I'm getting the PS5 and don't need extra controllers.

Oct 27, 2017
Either way, I'm firmly of the opinion that having a mandatory peripheral for a console be the price of a full-price game--or higher, depending on where you live--is bullshit.
Well I mean it's the core item you need to play games so imo the price makes sense. You can always buy one used or wait for sales during E3 season, holidays, or random retailer sales. Or trade stuff in towards it.

I don't expect it to go higher than $69.99

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think $80 is unrealistic. Hoping they can keep them at, or under, $100 CAD.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Console accessories have some of the highest margins of anything in the gaming section of a store. That combined with the controller itself being a bit more expensive this time around... Yeah, I'm expecting $70-80. Series S|X may stay at $60 since the hardware is essentially unchanged.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i hate that controllers are so expensive. Playstation is my main platform for fighting games so i need to buy a new DS4 almost every year because of the wear and tear. But the platform holders make so much money with them they won't bother giving us better prices.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting $75ish. But the console prices so far have been below than my expectations. So fingers crossed the trend continues.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am willing to pay the extra dough for that USB-C charging and longer battery life.

OP
OP
Doc Kelso

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Well I mean it's the core item you need to play games so imo the price makes sense. You can always buy one used or wait for sales during E3 season, holidays, or random retailer sales. Or trade stuff in towards it.

I don't expect it to go higher than $69.99
Used controllers are kinda nasty. I don't want a controller that's been in a home with smokers, for instance.

But my issue isn't really the fact that they go on sale. It's that if your controller breaks--which is the time when most people think about needing another one--you're stuck paying full MSRP unless it breaks around sale-time. The fact that you are 100% locked out of the system without the controller just makes me even more grumpy.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they have to recoup the massive loss they're taking on the console itself somehow.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With haptic feedback a la Switch's HD rumble? AT LEAST $70 easily. Prepare yourself once again OP.

Also you could just wait for the third party options next year and just sell it off for one of those.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft is raising the price of theirs to $70 so I'd expect the same for Sony.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I think at minimum it's $79.99 which really sucks especially when our DualShock 4s work perfectly fine and we know it's just a software lock that stops us from using them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's higher then $80 with how much they're pushing it as the next big thing. It seems to be the main draw of the console.