• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I am a musician and just produced some high quality videos but I don't know how to approach social media because I am stuck in the mid 2000's when I'd upload stuff on youtube to show it to friends and family.

Can someone please help me out here?

Youtube.

.-How can I make Youtube suggest my video to people interested in the kind of music I do? Is this done by paying Youtube Premium?
.-What are some useful tactics to spread my work as far as possible? I see people going into random super popular videos to spam the comments section with their links, I just cringe.
.-How does Youtube value any particular video? do amount of subscribers count or is just raw views? how can youtube check I didn't send my whole family to F5/view-to-death my videos?
.- what are some guidelines regarding how much I can earn? like, is 1000 views worth 1 dollar?

Instagram

.- How do I monetize here? I have a personal account and so far I have never send posts/stories that contain ads from the app itself (only people holding a product in their hands and such) so I am not sure what is Instagram looking at here.
.- Is it a good idea to add all sorts of people interested in my topic in the hopes they'll add me back? am I going to have to "like" all their posts?
.- I will start from scratch, my current account has nothing to do with music. is this bad?

Twitter

.- don't have a twitter account and have never used and have no idea how it works, I guess I shouldn't pass on it but I have to take my time to learn the basics of it.
Anything particular to twitter I should know regarding monetizing? does twitter pay at all?

Facebook

.- I am about to open a new, from scratch, artist account but I am not sure if this can be monetized as well. does FB pay?
.- "X person wants you to like this page" never seems to work so is there anything else I can do to spice things up?

Patreon

.- receiving money with ease from random fans and strangers seems too good to be true. what's the catch? is it legal worldwide?
.- So I see there's a Live-streaming feature effectively letting me play live for an audience and they can pay me through patreon. Is the live concert going the way of the dodo??

All things said, how would these platforms pay me?? is it as simple as giving them my bank account number in Germany?

Any other site/page/platform I am missing I should consider?

I must go buy stuff so I can't answer right away but I would REALLY REALLY appreciate your tips however small.
thanks.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this isn't the place. I'd find a good subreddit for musicians or check out something like Brian Dean's Youtube SEO videos (look for Backlinko)

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Utilize a distribution platform such as Distrokid or the equivalent so you can get your music on major streaming platforms like Spotify and Apple Music. Establish a social media presence and post consistently. Pay for marketing including using popular channels to repost your music.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks!

I forgot to ask.

is there anyway I can copyright my material? I know it's a lost battle but I'd like to at least have the rights to my work

Edit: Those Brian Dean's videos seem to be a very good source to get informed, thanks ZackieChan

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

I forgot to ask.

is there anyway I can copyright my material? I know it's a lost battle but I'd like to at least have the rights to my work

Edit: Those Brian Dean's videos seem to be a very good source to get informed, thanks ZackieChan

Your material is your own no matter what. Copyright is automatic. Registration is only necessary for litigation within the United States.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
sorry to bump this but I am horrified....

turns out that now that I want to monetize, I looked carefully at my videos and I have copyright clais for classical pieces played by me LIVE from composers dead for more than 200 years...

there's no way this is legal, I have read every possible piece of info and I have a right to my materials, this stupid company Naxos seems to claim that I used a commercial recording when it is in fact a live recording, mistakes and all. played by me every single note

what do I do about it??

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
sorry to bump this but I am horrified....

turns out that now that I want to monetize, I looked carefully at my videos and I have copyright clais for classical pieces played by me LIVE from composers dead for more than 200 years...

there's no way this is legal, I have read every possible piece of info and I have a right to my materials, this stupid company Naxos seems to claim that I used a commercial recording when it is in fact a live recording, mistakes and all. played by me every single note

what do I do about it??

YouTube? You can dispute it and the flag should clear in a few days.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
YouTube? You can dispute it and the flag should clear in a few days.

yes youtube.

some copyright claims are composition based and some audio based, with compositions I have to be careful since some aren't public domain yet but audio?? no way there's legal ground for it, right?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
The copyright shit is something YouTube has been allowing, and it's hard to clear. Basically random companies will claim random things, and make money off people's videos. Dispute it, and that company has to agree that you are right....which isn't going to happen.

Might I suggest twitch?

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
The copyright shit is something YouTube has been allowing, and it's hard to clear. Basically random companies will claim random things, and make money off people's videos. Dispute it, and that company has to agree that you are right....which isn't going to happen.

Might I suggest twitch?

what??? seriously this is the state of youtube?

I was about to upload my performance of the moonlight sonata, that's a piece that other videos have 5+ million views on. I am most certainly going to get a copyright claim which is BS cause it's me playing and it's a work before 1900... fuck, this is terrible.

Is twitch better at that and can I get ad revenue from them?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
what??? seriously this is the state of youtube?

I was about to upload my performance of the moonlight sonata, that's a piece that other videos have 5+ million views on. I am most certainly going to get a copyright claim which is BS cause it's me playing and it's a work before 1900... fuck, this is terrible.

Is twitch better at that and can I get ad revenue from them?
With twitch you can become a partner after getting enough views and people can support you through subs or watching ads yes. In theory there is more money to be made on twitch. I would still upload to YouTube on the chance it doesn't get claimed, but as soon as it does remove it and reupload. Start working on doing live streams on twitch. Taking requests for donations, etc.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they filed a DMCA takedown. The option for you if that's the case is to respond with a legal document disputing their claim. Then their next move, if they really HAD copyright over the piece, which of course they don't, is to actually sue.
Like patent trolls, filing inaccurate DMCA claims is not supposed to be done, but finding them and proving it is difficult. Especially if they're based in a country that didn't sign on to the DMCA. In a sense, it's just the annoying paperwork of an online art business.