• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
For whatever reason, I wasn't really into GI Joe as a kid. But, 2 of my parents' friends bought their kids that carrier, and I was totally jealous.

I actually got Greyskull and Snake Mountain on the same Christmas as well! 1 from each set of grandparents; that was a sweet Christmas.

Dec 25, 2018
Man I wish I had gotten into Transformers when I was 5 years old instead of 20. I'm positive I would have been extremely into RID2001 and Armada and might actually own the toys I currently pine for. There's a blessed timeline out there where the crown jewel of my TF collection as an adult is an Omega Prime owned by me since childhood.
Omega_Prime_toy.jpg
Similarly I missed out on Beast Wars and Beast Machines (only had 1 or two small figures from both lines) but was there for a bunch of RID and Armada figures.
RID Prime and Magnus were great figures, really liked the Train combiner trio (though i don't think I had any Decepticons or Predacons from that line)... unfortunately loose parts + a few house moves + time means there's not much of them (or a lot the figures I had at the time) left at this point.

One grail I was after but wasn't able to get till ten years ago was a Lego Falcon (2011 version). While a lot of sets had to go into storage after moving to a smaller house its still out on display.
7965-1.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I always wanted this Chip Hazard toy from the film Small Soldiers. Mom would never buy it for me even though you could always find it in like Macy's or JCPenny.

91vjztiYWjL._AC_SY550_.jpg

One of my friends is a big fan of action figures, and decided to make his own for some of the omitted charaters from Small Soliders:

alastairwlow.blogspot.com

Ocula and Butch Meathook custom small soldiers toy

So the other week I got a small solders toy from the car-boot in Glasgow. The toy i Got was "Nick Nitro" I was relay surprised to see this f...

pictures said:
2016-03-27%2B14.16.43.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EMhTx-PELlA/VvgBA8T87MI/AAAAAAAACCw/Adw-96qrkxMGbSqk0idLx4E_vukD34fZw/s1600/Butch%2BMeathook%2Bcustom%2Bsmall%2Bsoldiers.png[img]
[/quote]

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? How are you old enough to have wanted this? And Castle Greyskull?

This is 80's stuff.
Not sure how it was with Slayven, but there were many toys I wanted (like this one) made before I was even born. You find out about this stuff in different ways. Sometimes it's via older kids that already had these sorts of toys. When 80's toys started to become collectible, price guide books started to pop up along with ToyFare magazine. I used these almost like catalogs. When the internet became a thing, it didn't take long for information about this stuff to become even more accessible. I used to drool over all toys I'd see in yojoe.com's collection of old G.I. Joe commercials and toy database. One of the more common ways I'd learn of old Joe stuff and other cool toys from before my time was just stumbling on them at flea markets, yard sales, thrift stores, and other places that sold second hand toys. For example I found out about the USS Flagg by seeing one new in box at an antique mall in the 90's. It started a years long obsession with finding one. When I was a kid, probably half of the toys I lusted after weren't even made anymore.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
My man, I'm getting angry just hearing this story. Xmas should be fun. It was bad enough you lost out on the thing you wanted, but to not even get any Xmas gifts when things were said and done...
We can probably have a whole separate thread on the joys of West Indian parents. I actually had several terrible Christmas experiences like that, most involving me disobeying my mom and being harshly punished by having my gifts taken away/returned. I left out that I had been asking for a hobbyist level dune buggy for a while and she said no because she didn't think it was safe so I took advantage of my laid back dad to go around her.

But that's enough buzzkill on this thread, let's get back to 80s toy thirst traps.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're grown up and making your own money.
What's the point of not buying the shit you want and have some fun, even if it's "just toys"?

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I still want the morphers from mighty morphin and power rangers in space. The original morpher just for nostalgia sakes but the space one I always thought looked badass.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I had the USS Flagg. It was cool, but as someone else said, a lot of plastic! Not many cool little rooms or features.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I still desperately want a Dino-Riders Tyrannosaurus Rex.
man, I already had the diplodocus and my uncle offered to buy me the t-rex for my birthday while we were out shopping but nooooo, I had to be shy and ask for a t-shirt instead, knowing my cousin (his son, who was with us) wanted that for his bday and I thought he might be jealous lol

For real though, I already have the Combiner Wars Devastator so that was my present to myself a few years back, but I always wanted the Cobra BUGG for some reason when I was a kid.

Edit: Also always wanted a Grimlock and the rest of the Predacons (I only had one).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you just get the recent, modern Scorps? It's much better than the original and will hurt your wallet less.

I don't really have the space anymore. I did treat myself to that soundwave that came out a few years ago with almost all the tapes.

If I ever have the room, I want Scorponok, the new Unicron and the big third party bruticus (Warbotron). Maybe Coronation Starscream too. And if there's a modern Deathsaurus that looks decent, one of those (I try not to look at what's available because there'd be no end lol)

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've known two separate people who have purchased one as adults, I believe both have since sold them (at a profit). They really are amazing to behold for anyone with nostalgia for 80s GI Joe and if you have the space to dedicate to it and the money to spend, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not irrational. My philosophy is if you want it, can afford it, and it won't put any bills in jeopardy (or you're caught up and have some extra $$), go for it.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
A recent thing for me was buying a titan fall collectors edition statue. But i love it and the series.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
They're making new versions of all of the Dinobots this year. They're $50 each, except Swoop will probably be $30.
There are only photos of Grimlock. He's out already in some areas.

9-EF61-FD5-D872-42-B5-B15-A-F59508-BD81-BE.jpg

95602144-1815-4576-A335-48-C75517-F157.jpg

The T.rex mode doesn't look good from the back. The back and hip area has a weird gap, and his tail looks like someone shoved a boat up his ass rather than having a tail.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
― C.S. Lewis

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Another favorite of mine growing up was Construx:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx
1024px-AircraftCarrier.jpg

I really kind of want to track down sets of these to have them again.

I remember building space ships and giant transport vehicles for my GI Joe and Star Wars Vehicles.
I HAD THOSE!! lol

Don't even remember what I used to build with them. Some kind of vehicles, usually. Cars or spaceships or some such.

I also had a bunch of Capsela (I had to Google the name), and Erector sets.