• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I had it. It's every thing you'd hope and more.

Predaking is the one that eluded me in my child hood. Had both legs, arms and wings. Just needed the body.

81rDDXwXrkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I bought a re issue a few years back. Kids kept on wanting to play with it, but I bought them 3rd party Constructions. Which are quite decent. A million miles better than the ones I have growing up. Definitely take a look at some 3rd party stuff they can be quite good. (Especially if kids are involved)

Bought myself Sky Lynx and Astrotrain for xmas (war for cybertron)

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
If you have a 3D printer you can make something close:

www.thingiverse.com

GI Joe U.S.S. Flagg aircraft carrier by Jabberwock

The U.S.S. Flagg, sometimes called the holy grail of 80’s GI Joe toys. I did not have this toy as a kid (it was very expensive, around $100 in the Sears catalog) so I created these files based off of the blueprints that came with the toy and from pictures I found online. I wasn’t sure if I...

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Man, I'm younger than probably all of y'all in this thread, but I still wanna get hold of Armada Unicron one day.
Unicrontoyarmada.jpg

I circled that damn thing in the catalog like every Christmas (and then did the same when the Energon version came out cuz it was the same toy just in different colors), never got either version.

Did get Energon Omega Supreme one Christmas tho, he was pretty rad. Didn't have all the gimmicks that made me want Unicron so much, but you think my child self was gonna complain that a 14 inch tall toy that turns into two vehicles AND combines with Optimus was lacking gimmicks? Dude was the fuckin BEAST of my Autobots.
EnergonOmegaSupreme_toy.jpeg
Man I wish I had gotten into Transformers when I was 5 years old instead of 20. I'm positive I would have been extremely into RID2001 and Armada and might actually own the toys I currently pine for. There's a blessed timeline out there where the crown jewel of my TF collection as an adult is an Omega Prime owned by me since childhood.
Omega_Prime_toy.jpg

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Man I wish I had gotten into Transformers when I was 5 years old instead of 20. I'm positive I would have been extremely into RID2001 and Armada and might actually own the toys I currently pine for. There's a blessed timeline out there where the crown jewel of my TF collection as an adult is an Omega Prime owned by me since childhood.
Omega_Prime_toy.jpg

Oh, this is a good one! My favorite Optimus Prime combination.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Omega_Prime_toy.jpg
Deadass, that would've been the jewel of my collection had I gotten an Omega Prime as a kid. I thought about getting the recent reissue but I'm glad I didn't cuz those molds just turned to crap.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Kid, if I got this for Christmas or birthday, I will never ask for anything else.
3e1b6d23797c5254ad3550c8d1def18f.jpg

Never got it. :(

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I understand this completely. It was so out of reach I had to settle for Castle Greyskull, so this must have been a cathartic purchase.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
My parents were cheap asses so the best I got was the Gobot Command Center.

800px-Command_Center_toy.jpg
Better than the "combiner"
u8nDHokxYzX4Yt4IKS7ConIR1pfkWvU71GBpLUIPfmR6F_OjAW10W0-tfWwErzo_m9N3zdvy3MWbhXt4mqs7c5vniXxqt2M9Elff2p1xgn8aQxKVr0ARkA

for those that don't know their combiner was made up of "powersuits" the gobots wore for reasons. So you could have the combiner and no gobots. Like me, then come home and see Predaking or Computron on tv and just be all mad ass hell

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I grew up in the 80s, so the list of stuff I wanted and never got was endless, because of how much the de-regulation of the industry made it easy to market to children, tough to be fair, my parents spoiled me every christmas, so I don't complain.

One of the things I missed were the original Real Ghostbusters, but Hasbro re-released them last year as Wal-Mart exclusives, so I got the main 4.

I was not a big fan of GiJoe, but the tank that could build a bridge and the hovercraft just seemed so cool.

M.A.S.K. stuff is something I would like to get again to collect, because after all these years, I still like the designs. I tried to watch the cartoon a few years back, and even tough it's most of it is good japanese animation, the rest of the show has not aged well at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted the original Megazord from MMPR. Don't feel the need to own it now though.
This just gave me flashbacks to being jealous of the kid on the bus who had one. Guy would bust it out of his backpack and it'd be in awe. Same with a guy who had Gundams and zoids.
Grew up poor with no real toys, now that I've got a little extra cash I buy Gundam models. Build them, look at them for a hot minute then put them in a drawer with the others lol.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
As a parent now all I can think is, "where would we even put that thing?"

Literally becoming the "you have enough toys already" guy.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To own the USS Flagg
774bry9sx9z01.jpg

FLAGG2.jpg

uss-flagg-catalog-880x320.jpg

I had to settle for getting Snake Mountain and Castle Greyskull the same christmas. I could never get nothing.

Make me an offer.

Oddly enough my mom pulled out mine from my childhood last summer and watched a YouTube video and made sure all the pieces were still there. A few small antenna things had broken pegs and there's no box but other than that its still in good shape.

I'll never forget getting it for Christmas. It was so big it had to stay in the living room for years.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
there was a gi joe tank that folded out right? I remember we would keep frogs in it that we caught

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
As a Kid, if I got this for Christmas or birthday, I will never ask for anything else.
3e1b6d23797c5254ad3550c8d1def18f.jpg

Never got it. :(

I had this and the Lion version as well:

9ed3201889e18bcabe7d4d7cd0d55b6e.jpg

They were awesome. I wanted the three robot version as well.

8e0b6939c67cdca9731609c6b4c02e53.jpg

I never saw his cartoon, but he was a Voltron, so I had to have him. I never got him, and still haven't seen the original cartoon.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted this Chip Hazard toy from the film Small Soldiers. Mom would never buy it for me even though you could always find it in like Macy's or JCPenny.

91vjztiYWjL._AC_SY550_.jpg

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Buy it, that's the best part about being an adult. If you've got the cash to pick it up without breaking the bank, it's nice to fulfill some of the things that younger you wanted.

Of course, the worst part about being an adult is realizing that you won't get the use out of it that 8-year old you would have. I'm convinced the reason I have so many Steam games now is because younger me got tired of having like three 2600 games to choose from.

BTW, I had the complete Voltron 1 & 3 sets, they're still in my mom's basement in a plastic container somewhere. Those were awesome sets, and I got a lot of use out of them with friends. I was years behind my friends in getting a Nintendo or PC, though. :(

Oct 30, 2017
For everyone craving Dino Riders... just get the convenient desk- sized battle pack set.
0f6e73dafaaf425eba9cc6c09aff6dfclg.jpg

It's like 20 bucks online, and they're like little green army men versions of the original figures. Could probably use them in some sort of tabletop skirmish game. Typing this up makes me realize there's a good chance I'll own a set myself before the weekend is over.

The current thing I don't need but covet nonetheless is one of the Nuclear Motor figures.
po_motor_nuclear_mnq04_gan_jia_1605694597_16de1d6e_progressive

preorder_motor_nuclear_mnq02_white_dragon_metal_build_mb_barbatos_gundam_diecast_caoren_dragon_king__1578477434_2f478e9e_progressive.jpg

They started as 3rd party resin parts for gundam kits, then morphed into their own line of diecast metal mechs, often based on other proprerties.
The bottom one is based on the Ryujinmaru from the Wataru TV series (also the basis for the old TG-16 Keith Courage game).
There's a whole fascinating world of 3rd party mecha out there and the language barrier makes it that much hard to get a hold of. Plus they ain't cheap.

Some day though... some day.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I remember going into Babagges and seeing Neo Geo put on a display that looked like an altar. Always wondering who it was for. The system was 400 and the games 200 wasn't it?
That's my most vivid thought as a kid seeing that thing. Who's this even for? Definitely not me who can barely buy a $79 snes game.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Holy shit that video could make ANYONE want that. That was fucking awesome lol
Yeah, the official vids don't help keeping the wallet shut .

Probably the most popular of the higher end (X-Maxx):

Only thing is that you really don't get the true scale of these RCs from these vids.
img_20210124_090126kgkvu.jpg

Last edited:

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the official vids don't help keeping the wallet shut .

Probably the most popular of the higher end (X-Maxx):

Only thing is that you really don't get the true scale of these RCs from these vids.
img_20210124_090126kgkvu.jpg

RCs are the best thing. I won't lie I found more entertainment out of racing one around the course at a local hobby place than any video game for a long ass time.

Oct 25, 2017
My other painful haunting toy memory I have is that one December, I think I was 12, my mom left to go back to Jamaica for a month and left my dad in charge of everything, including Christmas. Well Pops being Pops on Xmas morning I woke up to no gifts under the tree. When I finally saw him later that morning he just handed me $200 and said "go get what you want".

The next day I got dressed and went to the KB Toys at King's Plaza and bought the biggest remote control dune buggy known to man, iirc it was 15" long. Oh my god I loved that thing, it was so awesome, but a week later my mom got home and was furious that my dad let me buy it and she forced me to take it back 😭 And then she took the money and deposited it in my college account! No Xmas at all.

It was so big that I could only play with it at the park so I guess she figured that eventually some bigger kids would beat me up and take it... which is probably true lol

My man, I'm getting angry just hearing this story. Xmas should be fun. It was bad enough you lost out on the thing you wanted, but to not even get any Xmas gifts when things were said and done...

to the OP. I was friends with these two brothers when I was much younger (back in the 80s). Their parents bought them each their own G.I. Joe thing...and that included a USS Bragg for each of them. My toy desires weren't terribly focused, so while I did want one, I wasn't terribly crushed to not have gotten one. I did get the OG Terror Drome, though. I also did get Castle Greyskull, so that was pretty good as well (I probably liked He-Man more than G.I Joe, if I'm being honest with myself.

One thing that I really wanted from when I was younger was that Dark Tower board game. It just always seemed so epic. 7 year old me would have never dreamed I would have a 2nd shot at that thing...an improved, modernized version of that thing.

return-to-dark-tower-1-1578701723600.jpg

Oct 7, 2018
USA
RCs are the best thing. I won't lie I found more entertainment out of racing one around the course at a local hobby place than any video game for a long ass time.

I desperately wanted to get into the hobby so I went a spent a good chunk of change on a Traxxas Baja truck style 4×4 setup with lipo batteries probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Problem is I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person I've ever met and I didn't realize how often these things break so before too long I ended up with a broken part that I couldn't just keep driving it with, it's been sitting in my closet ever since🤣

People that have never used one don't understand how ridiculously fast these things are it's so difficult to control them without having horrendous crashes.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I desperately wanted to get into the hobby so I went a spent a good chunk of change on a Traxxas Baja truck style 4×4 setup with lipo batteries probably 6 or 7 years ago.

Problem is I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person I've ever met and I didn't realize how often these things break so before too long I ended up with a broken part that I couldn't just keep driving it with, it's been sitting in my closet ever since🤣

People that have never used one don't understand how ridiculously fast these things are it's so difficult to control them without having horrendous crashes.
Yeah the one I got is a kinda standard vehicle and nothing off-road made, it's sorta off-road + concrete. But yeah I had to control it really carefully around the track they had there. These are the real deal no wal-mart RC car. So yeah lol I can imagine that sucks breaking a piece

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like my friend had this when we were very young, I remember it being huge and taking up most of his playroom. He literally had an entire room dedicated to nothing but mostly toys, including stuff like the carrier. I remember towards the tail-end of us playing with toys, he had every single Power Rangers Zord and combinable mech possible.

I was jealous as shit and needless to say my poor ass loved going to stay over at his house.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Better than the "combiner"
u8nDHokxYzX4Yt4IKS7ConIR1pfkWvU71GBpLUIPfmR6F_OjAW10W0-tfWwErzo_m9N3zdvy3MWbhXt4mqs7c5vniXxqt2M9Elff2p1xgn8aQxKVr0ARkA

for those that don't know their combiner was made up of "powersuits" the gobots wore for reasons. So you could have the combiner and no gobots. Like me, then come home and see Predaking or Computron on tv and just be all mad ass hell

I'd squeeze my GI Joes into the the combiner suits and used them like Jetpacks or power armor or whatever.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That kind of nostalgia is normal.
But it can end up in a hoarding of old toys that you do nothing else with aside from collecting.
It's a never ending prison and the only way to set yourself free is to sell everything.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I had Joes as a kid but I can't recall owning that many vehicles. I definitely didn't own a playset so everything was left up to my imagination.

Recently I bought the re-issues of the Kenner Real Ghostbusters figures and I'd love to get my hands on the firehouse or an Ecto-1