• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
*sigh*

It is infuriating that people believe the continued existence of a studio is decided by the few percents difference from the Store cut.

No studio survives just because they got a better cut from the Store. Maybe they could work one or two months longer, that doesn't help their next project.
Unit sales matter a hundred times more than the cut.
If your game costs 5 million to make and you only made 3 million, those 300k bucks because of a better cut won't help you.

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
One of the more underated features on Steam is the page that notices about what games you own or is on your wishlist got a patch, even if you don't have that game installed.
It got a nice little info dump to give you an idea of what the patch contains, pretty neat.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
One person just readed what the people in charge of the store said. The fact that they had a summer sale like this just prove they're desperate.
I wouldn't say desesperate. The fact Epic ( Sergey Galyonkin ? ) is against sales while having the sale they had is not actually antithetical.
What they don't like long term can absolutely be different to what they are willing to do during the phase where they try to get marketshare/convince developer/publisher to come to them.
It's like paying for the exclusivity of most of their library, it does not mean that they intend to acheive exclusivity on ( most ) titles by moneyhatting them long term, it's a mean to an end, get the games, get the consummer/marketshare. Convince the publisher that going exclusive ( at least for a limited time ) is worth it because of the 12% cut alone ( and also use it as an additional selling point for UE4 which get even better insensives ).

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Epic really did their marketing right. They succesfully made people think that they are the very reason why PC got Sony exclusives.

Alloeing games like Journey, Quantic Dreams games, and others on PC going to EGS first now that there is a more profitable roadmap than just putting it on steam like Helldivers, and calling it a day.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've been out of the loop for a while now and I'm sorry for bringing this up, but last thing I heard about the EGS is they had huge security issues and some people claimed their launcher was spyware. Is any of that true?

I've used it to get free games so far, but I'm still a bit cautious about actually spending money there just in case.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've been out of the loop for a while now and I'm sorry for bringing this up, but last thing I heard about the EGS is they had huge security issues and some people claimed their launcher was spyware. Is any of that true?

I've used it to get free games so far, but I'm still a bit cautious about actually spending money there just in case.

Technically yes, they were/are scraping data from Steam, Epic people said that was only to link your friends.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
*sigh*

It is infuriating that people believe the continued existence of a studio is decided by the few percents difference from the Store cut.

No studio survives just because they got a better cut from the Store. Maybe they could work one or two months longer, that doesn't help their next project.
If your game costs 5 million to make and you only made 3 million, those 300k bucks because of a better cut won't help you.

Are you an indie game developer?

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
I like it for the free games, never would have tried kingdom new lands otherwise.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Have we actually reached the point where people who don't mind Epic's model are not "real PC gamers"? Lol.

That's not at all what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is a lot of commenters with no interest in PC gaming are jumping into these threads to defend Epic. They often have small post histories, and/or only post in console related topics.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You are really painting a pretty grim picture of Sony here because you are basically saying "Microsoft is listening to the demand of fans and Sony is looking at where they can make the most profit" and I'm not sure if that's intentional.
This is Microsoft's platform, Sony worrying about Windows gamers is like Microsoft hearing the demands of Apple computer gamers and gining them Halo, or other new first party stuff. We're lucky Sony give us whatever, and I'm shocked we get Detroit.

Oct 25, 2017
This is Microsoft's platform, Sony worrying about Windows gamers is like Microsoft hearing the demands of Apple computer gamers and gining them Halo, or other new first party stuff. We're lucky Sony give us whatever, and I'm shocked we get Detroit.
This has never been "Microsoft's platform". This is the first time in decades that Microsoft seemingly cares about the PC as a gaming platform. Like, what are you talking about.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sony had nothing to do with that. Also EGS had nothing to do with the decision / porting of those games to the PC.
They probably don't, but they allow it or something, do they own the IP? Is it published on PC by them? Their name comes up when you boot up Heavy Rain, they are still attached somehow, and are likely getting something from the PC release.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This has never been "Microsoft's platform". This is the first time in decades that Microsoft seemingly cares about the PC as a gaming platform. Like, what are you talking about.
You can believe what you want, I'm not going to argue with this notion. I myself, am looking forward to gaming moving away from Windows and Directx. Windows, like Google search, amazon recommends, and Steam (likely) makes money on you using their service. The information collected is valuable. You can't even fully disable windows sending info back to Microsoft I think (without never going online).

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Epic the company (Unreal Engine has always been awesome and they invented Unreal Tournament & Gears of War). However, I really don't like what they're doing with the Epic Store and I won't support it.
It's going to be a long wait until the Steam version of Borderlands3 launches *sigh*

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
You can believe what you want, I'm not going to argue with this notion. I myself, am looking forward to gaming moving away from Windows and Directx. Windows, like Google search, amazon recommends, and Steam (likely) makes money on you using their service. The information collected is valuable. You can't even fully disable windows sending info back to Microsoft I think (without never going online).
Alright, I have no clue what you are on about now so I'm out.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
......so that does mean that you have a Mac? Cause you know that Windows is the OS for PC users right? Like what are you even talking about???

Are you really blaming every existing service out there EXCEPT for Epic Games? Whose store actually got data from what people are playing discreetly in order to launder more exclusives?

Are you going to go Linux? I mean go for it but then you won't even be able to use EGS.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
......so that does mean that you have a Mac? Cause you know that Windows is the OS for PC users right? Like what are you even talking about???

Are you really blaming every existing service out there EXCEPT for Epic Games? Whose store actually got data from what people are playing discreetly in order to launder more exclusives?

Are you going to go Linux? I mean go for it but then you won't even be able to use EGS.
Apple was used as an example to compare to Sony's situation with PC.
Microsoft = Xbox Console and Windows. No ties or investment in linux, or Apple's OS.

Sony = Playstation Family. No investment or ties to Windows like Microsoft.

And I don't care if I can't use EGS on Linux. I just want games going there because if Microsoft try to pull some crazyness with Windows in the future there will be a place to move to. Even Valve is forward thinking in that sense, getting games running on Linux. And I hope Google Stadia becomes popular and game developers make a way to buy their Linux versions of the games they run on Stadia, all for options.

On PC I'm free to pick and choose what I want to do. Do I go ahead and spend money on Final Fantasy XII TZA knowing it won't release anywhere else, thinking I'm screwed if I ever have to deal with Valve CS again (don't worry I recently learned first hand that Valve now answer tickets, and more frequently)? It's one of my favorite games so I do it, no more playing the old version on PCSX2, 60fps. I'm using EGS because I don't see why I shouldn't. I'm not tied to the hip at EGS though, and I don't care if they go under or become successful as a storefront. I use Origin and other stores often as well. Windows is my PC gaming platform. I launch games and steam opens if it needs to, or I make sure it is open if it's a game I use a controller on (I love the steam controller touch pads for mouse look, comfortable wasd analog over long periods, and it may be the last controller like this since Steam Machines didn't take off it seems).

Epic really did their marketing right. They succesfully made people think that they are the very reason why PC got Sony exclusives.
The move to PC, if Sony has any say in it, just makes sense to get some money from Epic's deal, which they still get to put it on Steam. Otherwise they'd just put it on Steam and likely call it a day, dust off their hands and bounce. Sort of not related, but on PC I've been waiting to get Nier but SE doesn't even patch the thing with lot of PC players wanting a patch. I just googled it to make sure, got a chuckle out of me. Googled with "nier automata still no patch." Best one was "Nier:Automata Game of the Yorha edition still doesn't include any PC patches, fan mods still a necessity." I don't mind mods, but I just lost interest waiting and I doubt the mods fix all of the requests people have. Companies tend to just dump things and leave it alone unless Denuvo has an update. The Epic situation may at least get the games in another service, though with the money (incentive) comes a limited exclusive deal, but at least it's going elsewhere eventually rather than never or maybe years later the way a lot of Steam games are.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft = Xbox Console and Windows. No ties or investment in linux, or Apple's OS.
Microsoft has huge investments in Linux since some years actually. It seems like you have no clue what you're talking about tbh.
They have even announced their own Linux operating system like the Azure Sphere and are one of the top contributers to the Linux Kernel.

Also you talking about something along that Sony sold their exclusives to the EGS (or something like that) is and remains bogus.

Edit: you actually sound paranoid with your stuff that Microsoft might somehow forbid gaming within the Windows OS and the EGS will have to save gaming.

Last edited:

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
They really did.

Every thread about EGS has someone come in and thank Epic for getting those games onto PC. Of course, they never reply back when they are informed those games were coming to PC anyway.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has huge investments in Linux since some years actually. It seems like you have no clue what you're talking about tbh.
I think I remember hearing about that but I doubt they would put their games there. Seems more of a foot in the door situation. They are not in any kind of control thankfully. Kind of weird to see so many different companies putting in funding it though. It seems like it'll always be open, and there will be no forced upgrade to Vista for DX10 situation, or threat of all apps via MS Store.

Last edited:

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
1. you wrote they should be held accountable and that is what they are doing, so why argue against this?
2. you wrote that it would maximize potential sales and i wrote that the lower cut and more visibility will help with that.
3. i was saying that they don't expect you to jump through any extra hoops because it will come out on steam anyway
4. yes, and it will be on all possible stores eventually in an even better state than without the egs money

again, I recommend reading the link i send you, it gives many reasons why the mechwarrior devs took the right decision.

1. Not arguing againt it. But am saying that refunds isn't just all that, and that people are still in their rights to continue to express disappointment despite that, and that the discussion that follows is also a part of holding them accountabble.
2. Lower cut does not mean an increased userbase, unless it translates into lower prices, and even if it does, it's still just a maybe.
3. Waiting a year is an enormous hoop, when it comes to what games people spend their money on.
4. It still doesn't solve the problem. The problem being of how to launch your game, towards a big as possible userbase, and solving the problem of discoverability.

And again, I don't doubt the devs of this game that they took a good safe option for their studio right now. There's just more to it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not at all what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is a lot of commenters with no interest in PC gaming are jumping into these threads to defend Epic. They often have small post histories, and/or only post in console related topics.
Is it possible that these people have interest in PC gaming even if they don't browse or post in every PC thread? Must you accuse people who disagree with you of astroturfing/consolewarring or whatever it is that you mean by this analysis of people's post histories?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible that these people have interest in PC gaming even if they don't browse or post in every PC thread? Must you accuse people who disagree with you of astroturfing/consolewarring or whatever it is that you mean by this analysis of people's post histories?

Yeah you're right. These people on a gaming forum with an interest in PC gaming just happen to not engage in any PC gaming related threads. Makes sense.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like your not reading anything but you sure want to pretend that egs is a good thing for everybody. You also didn't answer the question which is not surprising considering your other posts.

Where did I say Epic is good for everybody? Your guys messaging is getting more and more clouded by the day all because you can't stand anyone using the Epic store.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
*sigh*

That would explain why companies are doing their own launcher thing.

And I remember the opposite argument were made when talked about steam cut vs. console cut.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where did I say Epic is good for everybody? Your guys messaging is getting more and more clouded by the day all because you can't stand anyone using the Epic store.
Well you haven't made a comment that made sense in a while and you pretend that I'm the only one addressing you when you refuse to reply to others. It seems anyone defending epic is refusing to address the actual points.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Except you have been caught blatantly lying at multiple times. You don't engage in good faith. You're transparent af.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

For me its pretty clear whenever someone pops into an Epic thread to say 'wots the problem, its just another launcher' that they probably dont play on PC.

If you play on PC you know that there is a massive difference between Eggs client and all the other clients. You may not care about any of those features of the other clients and be happy to use them as 'just a launcher' but there is a clear gulf between what the eggs client provides vs the others. Anyone trying to argue that 'its just another launcher' is a troll. They may not care about client features but if you play on PC you know they exist and so the argument is boiled down to 'i dont care about these features and so its just another launcher'.

And yeah, strange that on a gaming forum we dont ever see them in PC gaming threads.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me its pretty clear whenever someone pops into an Epic thread to say 'wots the problem, its just another launcher' that they probably dont play on PC.

If you play on PC you know that there is a massive difference between Eggs client and all the other clients. You may not care about any of those features of the other clients and be happy to use them as 'just a launcher' but there is a clear gulf between what the eggs client provides vs the others. Anyone trying to argue that 'its just another launcher' is a troll. They may not care about client features but if you play on PC you know they exist and so the argument is boiled down to 'i dont care about these features and so its just another launcher'.

And yeah, strange that on a gaming forum we dont ever see them in PC gaming threads.
Regarding the bolded, there sure is a difference. That doesn't mean I won't want to nab the freebies or the exclusives off from EGS. I care about the games mainly, mind you. I still get whatever features from Steam or wherever when I need them anyway.

And again, why would someone necessarily be a troll simply because they don't share the same level of engagement with regards to threads or game launchers as you or anyone else? Anyway, no skin off my back since I use a multitude of launchers just fine. If that's not being a real PC gamer, or if that's being a troll/console warrior/astroturfer, so be it.

Natasha Kerensky

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Praha, CZ
1. Not arguing againt it. But am saying that refunds isn't just all that, and that people are still in their rights to continue to express disappointment despite that, and that the discussion that follows is also a part of holding them accountabble.
2. Lower cut does not mean an increased userbase, unless it translates into lower prices, and even if it does, it's still just a maybe.
3. Waiting a year is an enormous hoop, when it comes to what games people spend their money on.
4. It still doesn't solve the problem. The problem being of how to launch your game, towards a big as possible userbase, and solving the problem of discoverability.

And again, I don't doubt the devs of this game that they took a good safe option for their studio right now. There's just more to it.

I am laughing thinking of the fact that in order to respond i have to do yet another 4-point list. Let's just agree to disagree and at least acknowledge why the case of mechwarrior 5 seems to be an understandable decision from the developers' perspective and players who want a better mechwarrior game than without egs money

Spectone

Windows store isn't that bad now that they've abandoned their UWP requirement, and even if it was they don't buy exclusives, so there's no reason to feel compelled to use it if you don't want to.

Most of the game stores on PC have exclusives including the Windows Store. This is why so many people have multiple launchers on their computers. Microsoft is changing to be less exclusive but it has taken them many years.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you haven't made a comment that made sense in a while and you pretend that I'm the only one addressing you when you refuse to reply to others. It seems anyone defending epic is refusing to address the actual points.
You guys run around creating fires telling everyone why it doesn't make sense to anyone, including developerts, to support the Epic Store but Epic could take over Steam if anyone actually does support it.

Yeah, I'm the one who doesn't make sense /s.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I am not really a fan of Epic's recent business practices but in this capitalist world they are all trying to make money and don't give a shit about having your library in the same client.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I don't hate it, but as others have said Sony prevents your username from being used there. And I really don't like it or anything. It's just not where I want my games, hence I don't care about free games.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
Most of the game stores on PC have exclusives including the Windows Store. This is why so many people have multiple launchers on their computers. Microsoft is changing to be less exclusive but it has taken them many years.
No matter how much people insist on conflating them, having exclusives and buying exclusives are not the same thing.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Regarding the bolded, there sure is a difference. That doesn't mean I won't want to nab the freebies or the exclusives off from EGS. I care about the games mainly, mind you. I still get whatever features from Steam or wherever when I need them anyway.

And again, why would someone necessarily be a troll simply because they don't share the same level of engagement with regards to threads or game launchers as you or anyone else? Anyway, no skin off my back since I use a multitude of launchers just fine. If that's not being a real PC gamer, or if that's being a troll/console warrior/astroturfer, so be it.

Well like i said if you don't care about client features or just want the freebies that's fine. That's kind of my point that people who play on PC are well aware of the differences in the clients and choose to either overlook them for the free games or don't really need/care for those features and so are happy to use the egs. Again, fine. But if someone who is aware of those things claims 'its just another launcher' then i see that as trolling.

People don't have to be active in PC threads but its weird that they would chose eggs threads to chime in when they otherwise wouldn't be getting involved. Why only come to post in these threads and not engage in the community for anything else PC related, here on a gaming enthusiast forum. To me it just seems like wanting to rile people up. Maybe i'm totally wrong but all these PC players suddenly appearing in EPIC threads to tell me how great the competition is feels like trolling.

I don't care about who is or isn't a 'real PC gamer' we just play games for fun and anyone can do that to any level in any way they like.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just agree to disagree and at least acknowledge why the case of mechwarrior 5 seems to be an understandable decision from the developers' perspective and players who want a better mechwarrior game than without egs money

I don't think that I've ever said that I can't see some of these exclusivity deals as understandable decisions from the viewpoint of the dev. But I don't subscribe to this guilt trip thing, where we're supposed to drop our opinions about how a product is delivered, because of financial reasons we can at best speculate in.

I'm really not running a charity with my money, and devs needs to encourage me to part with my money for their products, so I reserve my right to have opinions about how they act, no matter how difficult this business might be.

Jun 26, 2018
EGS should become a publisher instead of this: "Oh, is this popular? Yoink!" bullshit. But what do I know, maybe they enjoy the notoriety.

Edit: Serious question, does anyone know what the average Developer / Publisher cut percentage is like? I would like to think it favours the developer, but I doubt this is the case.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
The sad thing is: not a single one of those tweets is new information.

It feels like there is this tedency that - the more you're aware of the whole situation - the more you will probably not support the EGS. The same goes also the other way: beeing less informed (or you simply don't care) makes it more likely that you will accept or support the EGS.

You can't explain all those "I'm a console gamer but you PC folks will now listing to what I think beeing a PC player should be like, and you guys better agree with me" posts with pure randomness. There have been too many of these posts in the last 8 months and it's usually the non-PC players that will go for a hard EGS defense.

Quil = tinfoil hat

Natasha Kerensky

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Praha, CZ
I don't think that I've ever said that I can't see some of these exclusivity deals as understandable decisions from the viewpoint of the dev. But I don't subscribe to this guilt trip thing, where we're supposed to drop our opinions about how a product is delivered, because of financial reasons we can at best speculate in.

I'm really not running a charity with my money, and devs needs to encourage me to part with my money for their products, so I reserve my right to have opinions about how they act, no matter how difficult this business might be.

i don't think anyone is guilt tripping you or demanding you drop your opinion on how a product is delivered. As the consumer, are you not also interested in game developers having it as good as possible and being as healthy as possible in order to make the best games possible? if we look at it from the devs side, taking egs money is precisely that and it will still come out in a year anyway.