• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Framing the discoverability of the store is strange because its all just of virtue of opening a new store front that has yet to become cluttered. It's like solving your hoarding problem by buying a new, empty house.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
call me when epic funds games like knuckle sandwich, stone story rpg, or jupiter hell. some devs being getting more privileges then others is dumb.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
There has yet to be a person who has been able to convince me why as a consumer I should care that I need to click a different icon to launch/buy my game. I get why a console exclusive money hat can make people angry because you may not own that ~$400 device but on PC its literally a matter of which icon I click.

Sure Valve is great but they continue to be great regardless of what the EGS is doing.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This should probably have been the first point - I really do appreciate how they don't just throw their money at the biggest stars on the market aimlessly, but seem to care about finding a good exclusive or semi-exclusive basis of well-regarded or anticipated AAA games and many, many really cool but small-ish AA-/Indie games that simply would be forgotten days after release on Steam.
It is well known that they went and are still going for the most wished games from Steam Wishlists.

Jun 14, 2019
There has yet to be a person who has been able to convince me why as a consumer I should care that I need to click a different icon to launch/buy my game. I get why a console exclusive money hat can make people angry because you may not own that ~$400 device but on PC its literally a matter of which icon I click.

Sure Valve is great but they continue to be great regardless of what the EGS is doing.
I can't fathom actually feeling hate for something like a video game store.

kotaku.com

People Are Pissed That Tomb Raider Is An Xbox Exclusive

This morning's biggest Gamescom news was that Rise of the Tomb Raider, the next big console installment in Lara Croft's adventures, will be an Xbox exclusive. And people are pissed.

who knew buying exclusivity of third party games is bad and this trend was hated on consoles but apprantly is fine on pc ?

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. No one will ever convince me that a large part of the outrage isn't due to outdated notions that another icon running in your Taskbar is going to noticeably slow your computer down.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
It's absolutely astonishing that Steam still catches a big blame sandwich from ardent EGS supporters for not continuing to advertise a game that was never released on Steam due to EGS paying for it not to be released on Steam.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not opposed to it, I don't give a shit about exclusives and get so tired off all the threads here and everywhere else that devolve into every saying the same shit over and over again. That being said, I can fully recognize that they've done a shit job at updating the store with basic features, when it got to the point where they temporarily stopped me from purchasing games during the sale cus I bought like three in a row, would have been real nice to have a cart feature for fuck's sake.

Ultimately it's a store front that benefits the developers but Epic has done a piss poor job at presenting anything that is a benefit to the consumers which just leads to all the drama. They just need to really put the work in and update that store. Also, Tim Sweeney just needs to get off Twitter, he ain't helping anybody.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Framing the discoverability of the store is strange because its all just of virtue of opening a new store front that has yet to become cluttered. It's like solving your hoarding problem by buying a new, empty house.

Pretty much. Unless they develop actual discoverability tools the discoverability of games on the store will be exactly 0 in a year or two.
And the EGS devs said in the past they won't develop such tools because according to them, most people aren't windowshopping storefronts to begin with.

on PC its literally a matter of which icon I click to launch/buy the game.

No it's not and you know it mate.

I can't fathom actually feeling hate for something like a video game store.

Because no one actually feels hate, just like 98% of the people on this forum saying they TOTALLY LOVE or ABSOLUTELY HATE something a're actually just feeling a (dis)like.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Ah, so this is the week's Epic thread where people rush in to post garbage explicitly forbidden by the Staff post that will eventually get posted on page 4 or 5.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I welcome competition in the market and I don't even mind the practice of buying exclusives, but Epic's way of handling the store - buying exclusives left and right while the store still lacks basic functionalities - is rather bizarre to me. Exclusives are a valid approach in a market place where your competitor is as dominant as Steam, but when doing that your goal should be that people realize that your offering is a good alternative to your competitor while playing these exclusives. Instead, they are shoving an inferior product down on people's throats and by doing that are creating a lot of unneccessary bad will in the community.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware of factually wrong stuff when I wrote it, and I surely didn't add them on purpose. As many, I wasn't following EGS a ton when it was new, so I'm sorry if I misrepresented, like I seemingly did with the Operencia part.

Well...I expected a little more hostility than that. There's a reason why there is so much pushback on EGS from the PC base on Era and most of the online communities. Just yanking games very close to release on not only Steam but other platforms and storefronts only for it to be in one place where it seems like a rushed project just to start hurting Valve. I'm all for EGS on improving their store but so far, the majority of their tactics in pertaining to their store benefit anyone but the consumer.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Agreed. No one will ever convince me that a large part of the outrage isn't due to outdated notions that another icon running in your Taskbar is going to noticeably slow your computer down.
I dunno, PC gaming had been ticking along with with multiple launchers with their own exclusive games before EGS made waves. But yeah, I'm sure the only reason people are complaining about EGS is that they think it's Bonzi Buddy.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely astonishing that Steam still catches a big blame sandwich from ardent EGS supporters for not continuing to advertise a game that was never released on Steam due to EGS paying for it not to be released on Steam.

honestly it shows how ignorant the arguments those people are making are and thus makes it really easy to just dismiss them.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I don't hate anyone. I just don't want to knowingly give my hard earned money to a-holes like Sweeney.

I am sure he gets them from someone else while I keep my principles intact.

I am still getting the free games though even though an a-hole paid for them.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
how many people here care greatly about discoverability, i'd be interested to know? i know for myself that it's extremely rare for me to go to steam on the off chance that i might find something interesting - i consider myself informed enough about gaming news that i know what's about to come out at any given time, so whether it's steam or egs as long as it's easily accessible i'm entirely nonplussed.

and yeah it's kind of nice that by its nature of being new egs is less cluttered.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the bolded, the deals are signed because the parties agreed to their terms; Epic can chase a deal with any game, but it won't happen unless those people who are creating and publishing the games agree with it.
I'm not blaming anyone for those deals but you made it sound like Epic was interested in those who create games. That's not entirely accurate, they are more interested in disrupting the PC marektplace.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Glad you are keeping an open mind by not allowing anything to convince you but consider for a second how PC players use Origin, Battle.net, Uplay, GOG and many others and it's not really a problem. If you think this has to do with an extra launcher or desktop icon you are just being willfully ignorant to the problems it actually has.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Higher prices. Worse services.
Higher prices especially.
"Bu but the 400 dollars console".
Dont worry, when you wont have anymore 3rd party stores and you'll have to fork 60 full dollars instead of 45, you'll end up quickly paying those 400 dollars for the sake of exclusivity.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are right to complain. What conspiracy theory is there to say Epic is pushing for a toxic model ?

Toxic for customers AND smaller developpers.

Toxic for customers because the way Epic operates means higher prices across the board (because they dont allow 3rd party stores or limited one which THEY decide if they can sell a game, which is monopolistic af but whatever and because costs are passed onto customers to sustain a 12% cut) and toxic for the smaller developpers because we already know who Epic is targetting: AAA and AA games, high profile indies who already made big sellers before. Their model is a combination of race to the bottom and picking the winners.

With that kind of model, you have the perfect recipe to:
1. Murder the indie scene
2. Make the PC market a closed walled garden with higher prices and high piracy rates because of subpar services.
Bingo. People don't see this now because the negative effects have yet to be felt, but if Epic is successful at what they are clearly trying to do with their current strategy, this is exactly where we end up. It's bad for literally everybody.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Competition that removes choice and takes away features is good... for whom? Not me the consumer. And thats who i care about.

OP os obviously clueless as well. Claiming a game that didn't release on steam is evidence of anything.

How are we supposed to take you seriously?

The store front is free. I'd get the arguments if you had to pay or subscribe to use the EGS. But you don't, you buy the games on there just like Steam. A competitor providing a better deal for devs and changing the landscape of pc games distribution is exactly what competition is.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017

It depends on what type of consumer you are. If you basically want to play the game and that´s it, it doesn´t matter, some of the games are even drm free and don´t need to open EGS while downloaded. But what is a matter of fact is that EGS lacks a lot of basic functionality, like a simple shopping cart, but also cloud saving (even Nintendo has it nowadays), mod support, wishlisting (which is KEY when the store fills with a lot of games), or even proper installation for certain games like the Ubisoft ones. There are other things that aren´t there (like reviews, playtime tracking, an overlay or forums) but are not directly connected to the games. We could say "those features will come in due time". Yes, it´s true...but it´s also true that are being delayed over and over again. Cloud saving should have been out in April, it´s July and here we are.

PC is considered as an open platform, and Epic basically has right now a console-like closed ecosystem. Which could work for people that are used to play on consoles, but not for a PC player. Now, consider that a lot of games are being delayed on Steam/Gog a whole year, even for people that allowed those game to exist in the first place through backing, or have already paid their preorders on a platform. And the proposed solution is use a client lacking those functionalities and, i repeat what i said before, with security and privacy concerns. We may believe or not believe the Tencent spying controversy, but what is undeniable is that Epic accounts are constantly compromised, even with their weak 2FA.

I think the debate focuses a lot in Steam vs Epic, but it should focus in anti-consumer practices vs pro-consumer approaches. It´s not even about Steam, it´s about choice. Take Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines 2, it will release on Epic, GoG and Steam. Let people decide where to buy, and offer a competitive alternative that makes people choose you. But don´t try to force players to use a lackluster platform, because they will reject you. Steam is not the default choice only because Gaben or because fanboyism, is because they have a solid platform (i can even play EGS or GoG games with Steam Link in my mobile, for instance). Origin was hated to the core and right now people don´t mind buying games there, or subscribe to their competitive EA Access.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The store front is free. I'd get the arguments if you had to pay or subscribe to use the EGS. But you don't, you buy the games on there just like Steam. A competitor providing a better deal for devs and changing the landscape of pc games distribution is exactly what competition is.
They're "changing the landscape" insofar as they are trying to torch it so they can be the only storefront left standing once their Fortnite money finally runs out. Then you'll see how great this competition is.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Except it's bad competition ? Because it's one that kills the smaller developpers, the smaller stores and such.
Also, while you dont pay the store front, you pay the exclusivity. When there's only one store selling a good, there's only one price.
When Epic has 60 dollars exclusive that I used to buy for 45 even 40 dollars on legit 3rd party stores, I pay the price of the Epic Store. A nice price raise of 50%.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I also would like the bickering in every single EGS related thread to tone down a little bit -since this probably won't happen though: If there's any dev on Era who can share experiences with this storefront, or others who don't hate it and want to discuss it apart from its games' threads, that would be good too, I guess.

That's on Epic and the devs/publishers to fix that, the tainted negativity that surrounds the store.

What they're doing now are:
*Removing options for customers
*Making previously announced games on stores like Steam/GOG unavailable there.
*Going back on crowdfunding promises.
*Creating confusing situations for customers who have preordered/backed games with the previous two points
*Doing the previous three points with either vague statements, complete nonsense or downright lies (devs and publishers)
*Not being anywhere near the publicly available roadmap of Store Client features.
*Having a very arrogant and almost aggresive tone against the competitors on Twitter (Sweeney and Galyonkin)
*Having a very arrogant tone and against potential customers on Twitter (especially Sweeney)

Why on earth do these people deserve any slack for this? Why does anyone here owe them to tone down the frustration they feel because of these actions?

They have all the chance in the world to start changing this with communicating changes with more humility, try and create something extra for the customers as compensation for these changes, communicate more about upcomging change to the store, offer more understanding for backers who feel let down, etc.

But they're doing absolutely nothing of that.

So why should the change start with us customers?

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Remember when Valve first put out Steam and people hated how you had to launch games through it? What a time.

There was a lot of good reason for people hating on Steam at the time. People tend to frame it today as if it was entirely about having to launch a game via the Steam launcher. It had a lot of bugs and issues early on, and very importantly it forcibly hundreds of thousands of people who had been playing games like CS, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress Classic, and many other Half-Life mods to transition from a mature system that had been working to a new system that was riddled with bugs. As someone who was on a sponsored CS team at the time I can promise that a LOT of the vitriol at the time came from the CS community. Yes, won.net was shutting down regardless, and Valve had to replace it somehow, but it wasn't even remotely replaced in the way that players wanted at the time.

And Valve deserved that criticism at the time. Just like Epic does today.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, remember when Valve launched Steam....in 2003?
And Steam met and exceeded industry standards at the time.

They went against the trend of requiring people to pay "download insurance" to guarantee that your download would be available beyond the first download.
They didn't have storewide install limits for games.
They integrated automated updates/patches into their service.

Valve has then spent the last 15 years improving their service, and pioneering a huge number of player-centric policies and features.

EGS has not met or exceeded any industry standards.

They are struggling to meet decade old industry standards.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Valve first put out Steam and people hated how you had to launch games through it? What a time.

Valve from the start offered something, and compensated the requirement of using their client, with features we didn't have before, and immediately battled other DRM systems.

It wasn't perfect, but it something. Epic offers nothing new at all, as compensation for their disruption, for customers.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
changing the landscape of pc games distribution is exactly what competition is.

How on earth are they "changing the landscape of pc games distribution"?? And don't tell me the split cuz you said that already. What are they possibly doing that's changing compared to what other companies on PC games distribution have done?

Raised in a Barn

Chicken Chaser
Mar 26, 2019
EGS is like a standard phone in the age of the smart phone.
Sure, it probably appeals to someone who just want to call or text someone, but most people are gonna go for the device with the most features.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People said the same thing about visibility when the Switch first released, and over 2000 games and roughly two years later, you're basically buried after release. Especially if your game never gets featured. Same will happen with Epic once they get bigger. As another poster said, there are simply too many good games.

If temporary curation by default is enough to override the stark lack of basic features, you do you