• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have such a love-hate relationship with the game.

It is a great game... but one incredibly marred by technical shortcomings. I played it on a base PS4 and as much as I enjoyed it, I had to limit my sessions otherwise all the stutter, framerate issues, texture pop-in, fuzzy motion blur, and the dreaded pause lag would give me a headache. I had to legit lie down a few times after too many issues.
PS4-frame-rate-problem_DF.jpg

I haven't had this kind of nausea since Final Fantasy Type-0 on consoles.
hqdefault.jpg

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I can attest to the stutter when exiting menus/unpausing.

I didn't have any problems while playing beyond that (on PC). Solid game. Very technically impressive.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 5-6 hours in. It's very demanding on PC, presumably in large part due to the lighting. Also seems pretty CPU dependent, which I'm assuming is particularly hard on consoles. Performance seems good considering what is going on in the game though to be honest. The texture loading is bad for sure, although I'm not playing on a SSD.

Beyond that, it definitely feels a bit janky in general. Like the way you walk/run into stuff is kind of silly for example. Some of the cutsenes and animations are so-so, etc. Overall the game feels like it could use extra polish, and I think the team got a little ahead of themselves in terms of pushing the tech to the point that they ended up with something is not built for current gen.

Really cool game so far though. Nice attempt at delving into SCP fiction, and the core gameplay seems to be quite fun. I actually thought this was like a mission/level based game, but turns out it's a interconnected exploration type game which is neat. Definitely a lot to work with here in terms of potential sequels and/or spinoffs. I'm looking forward to getting further in.

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a shame. This game is truly a gem, but the performance issues hold it back so much. You reminded me that I still need to play the dlc though.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
On PC on launch day the game would hitch every time I use the the throw abilities. But they fixed it in several patches ago. Apart form that, it's been smooth sailing. The game is super demanding, but I think the visual quality makes it worth it. I think Control with all the Ray tracing features enabled is a true next gen game.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Control is a next gen game that happened to release on current gen systems.
Yeah I kind of wonder if the original intent was to build for next gen/cross gen or something, but at some point a decision was made to see what they could deliver in the interim on a shorter time frame.

Ultimately they oddly ended up with a game that feels sort of PC first/focused. It would definitely make a lot of sense for them to have a port/remaster/complete edition ready for next gen as well.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
You definitely need to grit your teeth at times to get through on the frame rate side of things. I had some rough parts during fights on PS4 Pro mostly.

The base consoles must be even more rough.
But the experience as a whole is a superb game.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
A tip when you go to the quarry don't turn the system off after doing the control point.

If you do it will still count as activated but the room won't have transformed when you come back to it.

I had to restart the game because of it

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Played it on the X1X, pausing was a bit annoying and I had one crash when completing a quest, the quest showed as incomplete for the rest of the game but thankfully I could continue the story.

Apart from that it was absolutely fine.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I play on PC and have had at least three hard crashes over the course of about 5-6 hours of play. Running on DX11. The game otherwise runs really well, so I'm kinda stunned whenever it does seize up.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
The game definitely has its issues on console. I managed to still beat the game but may buy it on steam so I can play through it without all the frame rate drops

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Completed it last weekend on my X1X and it ran pretty well, but there were micro-freezes when unpausing the game and suffered 2 or 3 crashes to dashboard.

It's an amazing game, but these issues can be frustrating

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Gave up on PS4 because of performance.
Got it on PC and loved it. No bugs from start to end.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
I think i had one crash the entire time I was working on the plat. It does still hitch/drop frames when leaving the start menu which is just the weirdest crap. Infuriating when you actually pause in the middle of a fight for whatever to come back and just get juggled by death while the game has a fuckin heart attack.

Still a fantastic experience though.

OP
OP
PersianPrince

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I hope Remedy is reading this thread. This game should have been delayed 3-6 months longer for more polishing.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
100%'d Control on a PS4 Pro and the only consistent hiccup was the moment you arrive at your fast travel location everything blurs as the camera moves around and FPS tanks. It lasts for maybe .75 seconds.

And that's it. I might encounter some fps drops if I'm dealing with a bunch of enemies and I'm using telekinesis on everything, but I've never encountered any of the terrible performance or hard crashes people in here are experiencing.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I was waiting for the Steam release to come out before I got it... from the sound of things it sounds like I'd be better off waiting until a next-gen port/remaster? Shame. Definitely one of my more-anticipated games of 2019 that I'm still holding out to play.

The PC version is great, particularly if you happen to have an RTX GPU, as it was recently updated to support DLSS 2.0, making 60fps + RTX viable on cards that aren't the 2080 Ti. If you do find yourself needing to tinker with things, Nvidia's performance guide has comparisons and benchmarks for literally every single setting in the game, and you can use Steam's Offline Mode to tweak and test as much as you like without eating into the refund window.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think Control is a great example of a game that really was not designed with the current generation of consoles in mind. Same with Jedi: Fallen Order. They exemplify how constrained the current console generation is with regards to performance capabilities, as PC was very clearly the target platform for the games. I honestly tell people not to play Control on console because they're basically just struggling ports. It runs beautifully on PC, where the game truly shines.

Great game, though. Very curious to see if the PS5/XSX get a re-released version with better parity to the PC version.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's terrible performance wise. If you move quickly after teleporting to a control point, the game will freeze briefly lol

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It runs like shit. A technical mess on consoles, especially at launch.

Does the game still hitch when you pause and unpause?

It's a very heavy hitter technically. There is a reason the guys at unreal skipped adding GI to the consoles sdk for this entire generation. It honestly was not made for the 8th gen and is very impressive it even runs there.

That said, the hitch on pause is absurd. I can lock it to 4k DLSS 2.0 60 FPS full RTX, and still see those hitches at 1080 low.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I have such a love-hate relationship with the game.

It is a great game... but one incredibly marred by technical shortcomings. I played it on a base PS4 and as much as I enjoyed it, I had to limit my sessions otherwise all the stutter, framerate issues, texture pop-in, fuzzy motion blur, and the dreaded pause lag would give me a headache. I had to legit lie down a few times after too many issues.
PS4-frame-rate-problem_DF.jpg

I haven't had this kind of nausea since Final Fantasy Type-0 on consoles.
hqdefault.jpg
Why didn't you just turn it off?

I played and Platinum'd Control on the base PS4 and I loved it. The framerate issues sucked but they happened a lot less often that what people made it out to be. That doesn't mean framerates into the teens are a good thing but I don't feel it detracted from my overall enjoyment.

DeVeAn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So fired this up after beating it in Sept. on X1X. I had nothing equipped. Which I of course did not leave that was and an achievement popped on title screen for spending 100 ability points. Game definitely still has bugs.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why didn't you just turn it off?

I played and Platinum'd Control on the base PS4 and I loved it. The framerate issues sucked but they happened a lot less often that what people made it out to be. That doesn't mean framerates into the teens are a good thing but I don't feel it detracted from my overall enjoyment.
Turn what off? The motion blur? Doesn't help the stutter and performance, and I found it even harder to follow without it. Without it, my character felt like they were literally teleporting at times.

Also platinum'd it. Still had the framerate plummet almost every encounter.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
My GotY 2019, double dipped on pc and ps4pro (tho I sold it later), will buy to play on ps5 with no loading times or performance issues.

May 10, 2019
I've just started it over the weekend and love it(One X). That said, the game is X enhanced but not the full 4k/HDR enhanced? I also have minor drops when hitting the inventory menu and then switching back to the game but has only happened a few times.

I've only had one time so far the frame rate tanked after unlocking/clearing a ft point in the cafeteria. It's been good otherwise and I keep catching myself looking for Alan Wake references/Easter eggs.

Definitely grabbing the DLC but have to wait for June before it releases and the second DLC has Alan Wake info in it, I really do love Remedy's game design/style.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
This is exactly why I'm holding out on playing this game until XSX. I hear the game is awesome, and I can't wait to play it. I just don't feel like dealing with the technical issues.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I'm glad I saw this thread. I've been thinking about buying on ps4 because of the EGS exclusivity. Now I'll just wait til it hits other launchers.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It is fantastic. Runs well at 1440p on a 980ti. (With gsync), but I imagine it's gotta be a pain on console.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Didnt Remedy announce they were working on a PS5/XSX version? Id suggest waiting for that to play it

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Bought it on PS4 Pro. Ran like shit and uninstalled. I REALLY hope Remedy does smart delivery with this one on PS5

Oct 27, 2017
Runs well enough for me on Pro. I've had the odd stutter but nothing as egregious as what some of you have experienced.

I've not finished it yet, it's so relentlessly gloomy. Great game though.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It runs fine on my 2070 S. The gameplay is fantastic, but the game has issues. It looks average without the lighting effects, the textures are very low res, and take some time to load as you are reading signs. And since this is an important part of gameplay, it actually hampers the experience. It looks fantastic when the environment is right, so the strange other dimensional stages/the formation, dimly lit wet hallways...big halls with orange lighting. Yet for the most part you are traversing drab office hallways and rooms. It's a very strange creative decision on Remedy's part IMO. It could have looked so much more interesting given the office itself has dimensional gates....why make us run around lobbies, conference rooms and hallways? So yes, looks great with RTX on, but very bland without. Can look mindblowing at times. And its Remedy....the gameplay is fantastic, hats off. Remedy always comes up with a gimmick which is extremely addictive.

32 GB ram
Ryzen 3700 X (it doesnt get utilized beyond 18% so I dont think the game is CPU intensive)
2070 S (all RTX on except debris)
NVME SSD (still low res textures at Ultra as mentioned above, so it's not a speed issue)
DLSS off
I get steady 30 fps at 1440p with everything at high or medium (i set the shadow and volumetric lighting at med, everything else high)
I get 50 fps at 4K for some odd reason....

It's an odd game.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It runs fine on my 2070 S. The gameplay is fantastic, but the game has issues. It looks average without the lighting effects, the textures are very low res, and take some time to load as you are reading signs. And since this is an important part of gameplay, it actually hampers the experience. It looks fantastic when the environment is right, so the strange other dimensional stages/the formation, dimly lit wet hallways...big halls with orange lighting. Yet for the most part you are traversing drab office hallways and rooms. It's a very strange creative decision on Remedy's part IMO. It could have looked so much more interesting given the office itself has dimensional gates....why make us run around lobbies, conference rooms and hallways? So yes, looks great with RTX on, but very bland without. Can look mindblowing at times. And its Remedy....the gameplay is fantastic, hats off. Remedy always comes up with a gimmick which is extremely addictive.

32 GB ram
Ryzen 3700 X (it doesnt get utilized beyond 18% so I dont think the game is CPU intensive)
2070 S (all RTX on except debris)
NVME SSD (still low res textures at Ultra as mentioned above, so it's not a speed issue)
DLSS off
I get steady 30 fps at 1440p with everything at high or medium (i set the shadow and volumetric lighting at med, everything else high)
I get 50 fps at 4K for some odd reason....

It's an odd game.

The game has massive issues with image quality which is another problem. Even if you turn off film grain and motion blur the image still looks incredibly noisy with artifices and banding. Volumetric lighting is very grainy unless you play at high resolutions too. DLSS exacerbates all the IQ issues as well. It's very hard to get a clean looking image in the game.