• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I cheated my ass off in FF13 using a save editor for the PS3 version, shit was just too incredibly tedious at times.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
My biggest problem with FF13's combat was that even when you did things correctly it was still tedious and not fun.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Was this fight that hard? I only remember that Barthandelus almost made me quit the game but that's was because it was my first JRPG and I didn't understand the battle system well enough at the moment.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
FFXIII goes out of its way to punish you if you don't understand its battle system, either through difficulty spikes or tedious gameplay. Once it clicks basically both of those problems go away.

Mark It Zero!

Apr 24, 2020
Having Fang use sentinel in a couple of paradigms makes that fight pretty easy.
Didn't find FFXIII to be particularly difficult overall tbh, only the farm to get to lvl cap for the final fight and maybe the farm to upgrade the weapons, but it's certainly not necessary to finish the game.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Everyone finds different things difficult. I love FFXIII and didn't find it difficult until some of the superbosses at the end (I got the hang of switching role mid-fight to react to the situation, and always had a good buff/debuff/heal combo ready to go). But you made the right call, if you aren't having fun there's no reason to force onward. Some games will just not be for you.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iirc the only problem with the final boss was that they had an instant death attack, which meant instant game over if it hit Lightning.

So you basically prayed she didn't get hit by that and it was smooth sailing otherwise.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
The eidolon battles were awful in this game. Truth be told I can barely remember what happens since the game is so forgetting and has hope as a character who is just terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
It's challenging for sure. But the final boss? Jesus was that some proper rage-inducing, stupidly hard bullshit. I eventually just gave up on it.

But it's a bad game anyway, so just drop it, OP.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
And that's not even the toughest fight in the game by a longshot. XII is a tough game. That requires expert use of the paradigm system. People can say what they want about the story and characters but the combat system and music in FFXIII are fucking fantastic.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
🤷‍♂️ I didn't have much trouble with the game.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
lol it's not a bad game all three of the 13 games are great games that get unfairly shit on.

Not unfairly. I am playing 13-2 because I just got an Xbox X and that was one of the games that I had on the 360 and never played, after being scarred by 13 and LR.

I am giving the game a fair chance. Its such a clunky game. I am also playing XenoblaDE, and I like it much more, despite having worse graphics. The FF13 trilogy is pretty to look at, but everything else is terrible. Even by anime standards, the plot is pure nonsense.

One thing I thought was funny playing 13-2 is that the game give you brief accounts of the story of 13, and it makes it so much better. The loved in 13 to throw jargon at you without bothering to explain what things were.

So basically, there's people living above and below. There are god like creatures that can give people a mission to carry out, and if they fail to carry it out, they become monsters. Lighting is the sister of one such unfortunate fellow. Lighting and the others band together to save her sister. There, was it so difficult Square Enix?

I am very lenient about games, but FF13 is a story badly told with bad gameplay. They should remake it and address all the clunkyness.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Git gud
You did the right thing. I hate the whole 13 trilogy with a passion. I am playing 13-2 right now, and its such a bad game, its crazy to think somebody at Square OK'd this. Its so bad. The story is pure nonsense, the gameplay is archaic.
The fuck are you doing playing a game you don't enjoy? lol

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
You did the right thing. I hate the whole 13 trilogy with a passion. I am playing 13-2 right now, and its such a bad game, its crazy to think somebody at Square OK'd this. Its so bad. The story is pure nonsense, the gameplay is archaic.

Ew this first post.

13-2 is a fantastic game that pretty much fixes all the problems 13 had.

One of the most underrated game in the series.

Caius is a top tier FF vilain, one of the series best.

Love that game.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Shit guys, if a souls veteran can't beat FF13 what chance do the rest of us have!?

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I don't remember the game to well, but I do recall not really liking the fight conditions for some of the eidolons. That, and some if the fights in the "open world" area. Last boss gave me some game overs too.

The whole, Lightning/main player character dies equals game over, was such trash. I hope they never revisit that dumb battle mechanic.

Oct 21, 2019
Who'd have thought that if you can beat a Souls game you'd struggle under the immense pressure of some other game that has nothing to do with Souls :O
I don't see the connection with Souls games
I, a person who plays one challenging game every two years and has made a title out of that, just rage quit FF13. This game is brutally hard.

ftfy

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying ff13 again right now and went through chapter 10 last night. Bahamut was tough, took me 3 tries, but what I found best was to slow him and then just use Com, Rav and Med and with a potion here or there to keep everyone up. Lightning and Fang as Rav and Com were able to fill up the bar pretty quickly.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
One thing I thought was funny playing 13-2 is that the game give you brief accounts of the story of 13, and it makes it so much better. The loved in 13 to throw jargon at you without bothering to explain what those things were.

So basically, there's people living above and below. There are god like creatures that can give people a mission to carry out, and if they fail to carry it out, they become monsters. Lighting is the sister of one such unfortunate fellow. Lighting and the others band together to save her sister. There, was it so difficult Square Enix?
Every single one of those things were explained in XIII itself. I understood it all fully my first time through, before XIII-2 was out and without reading the datalog (though the log does give some extra details, they are not needed to understand the story or character motivations).

I dunno, I just never understood this criticism of them giving things creative names. The characters talk about the Fal'cie like they are gods, say that people are given missions by the Fal'cie they cannot refuse, and that there are Fal'cie from two different nations. What more do you need to understand the situation? Later in the game a character stands in front of the party and reveals the history and origin of the Fal'cie and what their goal is in plain terms. I feel like some people just see words they don't know and give up sometimes, when to me I find creating interesting settings with unique concepts pretty exciting.

It's clear XIII didn't appeal to a lot of people when it released, and there's obviously merit to that since it's SO divisive. But I think the level of vitriol aimed at it is unnatural and off-putting. Especially when so many complaints are things people accept in other games.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I played through FF13 a couple of months ago, as part of a series playthrough. I was very surprised at how difficult it was at times. Every once in a while, there would be a fight that was just too much. Sometimes bosses, sometimes not. There was a miniboss in... I think chapter 11, that took me hours to get past.

Near endgame, I was literally walled for an hour by a normal enemy encounter. That has never happened before in any RPG. This game expects a lot from you.

Oct 25, 2017
This fight probably depends on your familiarity with Fang and Vanille's set up. Since my main part was Lightning, Fand and Vanille and spent a good amount of time leveling up their weapons and having them expand their crystarium roles outside of what the games tells you they're supposed to be this went a lot easier for me. I think with Bahamut you need to do saboteur damage or something and then sentinel/medic the damage thrown at you. It's not a fun fight, but doable when you notice the gimmick for it. Wait Bahamut's not even the fight that I thought it was. Bahamut's not even as hard as the one for Vanille's Eidolon.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Barthandelus was my wall, I remember seeing the ending to the game but can't remember if I gave up and youtube'd it or grinded through it.
I actually liked the game but yeah, the difficulty spikes are unforgiving.

Oct 25, 2017
Iirc the only problem with the final boss was that they had an instant death attack, which meant instant game over if it hit Lightning.

So you basically prayed she didn't get hit by that and it was smooth sailing otherwise.
Actually that's not even the problem with that fight. Figuring out when to attack to cause a stagger was the problem. The final phase of that fight is piss easy unless I over leveled for that.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
I could not get the hang of either Bahamut or Hecatoncheir (Vanille's Eidolon) in their fights. Just had to keep restarting over and over, and when I won I honestly don't know what it was that I did. I really don't think they're well-designed, since they're puzzle bosses but... you have no real way of knowing if you're succeeding? It might seem like you're building their gauge, but you don't know if another paradigm will build it faster, and it's really hard to pace out in your head if you're on track to complete it before the Doom counter.

The Barthandelus fight was fine by comparison, the only thing that was stupid was the instant death spell combined with instant game over for party leader death. I grinded some anti-death accessories and then it was fine, but that slowed down the pacing and also made that fight so weird.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I remember FFXIII being a bit harder than other console games of that era but not out of the ordinary for an FF game. The difference from Souls is that FFXIII bosses have very particular strategies you're supposed to use whereas Souls gives you quite a bit of leeway in how you fight.

The first Barthandelus fight took me a couple tries and the last one took me maybe three or four tries before I made one change to my strategy and immediately beat him.

OP
OP
SmittyWerbenManJensen

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I was told that if you can beat a Souls game, then you can beat any other game, too.

Seriously, though, I mentioned my Souls experience to illustrate that different games can be extremely challenging to different people.

...which is why I concluded by saying that (sometimes) it's best to just put a game down if you find it frustrating and stressful.

But yes, today, I did not get gud at FF13 : (

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Every single one of those things were explained in XIII itself. I understood it all fully my first time through, before XIII-2 was out and without reading the datalog (though the log does give some extra details, they are not needed to understand the story or character motivations).

I dunno, I just never understood this criticism of them giving things creative names. The characters talk about the Fal'cie like they are gods, say that people are given missions by the Fal'cie they cannot refuse, and that there are Fal'cie from two different nations. What more do you need to understand the situation? Later in the game a character stands in front of the party and reveals the history and origin of the Fal'cie and what their goal is in plain terms. I feel like some people just see words they don't know and give up sometimes, when to me I find creating interesting settings with unique concepts pretty exciting.

It's clear XIII didn't appeal to a lot of people when it released, and there's obviously merit to that since it's SO divisive. But I think the level of vitriol aimed at it is unnatural and off-putting. Especially when so many complaints are things people accept in other games.

The Fal'cie are gods/supernatural beings

The l'Cie are humans branded by the Fal'cie

Should the l'Cie fail to carry out its mission, they will become a Cie'th

I understood that when it was explained to me in plain terms in the datalog, but I struggled to differentiate a fal'cie from a l'Cie and a Cie'th when I played 13.

I wonder if these were introduced in the English version?

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
All I remember is following this game using a strategy guide, which outright said not to upgrade anything until late in the game. And it was right. Baffling for anyone who came from traditional JRPGs and expected a tight upgrade loop.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Just out of curiosity, what pushes you to continue playing?