• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, I was always sad that my friends didn't give this game a fair shake. Mario Kart 64 was fun, but DKR was much better.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man Wizpig fucked my shit up something fierce in this

I think I only ever beat him in the DS remake, and from what I understand, they nerfed him there

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
If only there was a game that combined the best aspects of Diddy Kong Racing and F-ZERO. And was developed by the studio behind classics like Metroid Prime and DKC Tropical Freeze. And.......... was a Star Fox game I guess.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Why Nintendo just refuses to see how much boss battles, hub world single player could add to a game like Mario kart I'll just.. never understand

I guess I get it. The games always sell crazy numbers without it but still. The series could be just so much more than it is
Yeah, I wish they'd do more with Mario Kart. It's not like they don't improve with each game, because they mostly do, I'd just like to see some more risks.

It took until MK7 for them to try out segmented tracks rather than looping ones, for example.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of you Crash Team Racing fans have it good now. Us DKR fans are shit out of luck with nothing but a mediocre DS "remake" which is worse than the original. What I'd give to get a straight port of the N64 game, let alone a full remake like CTR.

It sucks to love this game. Best kart racer ever.
nintendo and microsoft seem to be on good terms so it wouldn't be unbelievable if they worked out a deal for a remake.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
CTR is the only kart racer that comes close imo; it blew Mario Kart 64 away despite coming out only a year later.

That's an octopus, mate.

hqdefault.jpg

This motherfucker right here lol. This is bringing back some memories.

Oct 27, 2017
I love Diddy Kong Racing. I loved the hub world, I loved all of the races and all of the extra content and the music was amazing. When I unlocked the space levels I was blown away. Mario Kart is shallow compared to this game. Still bummed Donkey Kong racing never became a thing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still one of my favorite kart racers! Back then it was either this or CTR you likes the most outside of MK64.

Unlocking the final racer is pretty challenging too. Enjoy the game :)

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I remember it being surprisingly hard. At least to beat the bosses and challenges.

Pretty sure I unlocked the clock character, but it was no easy time.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Rare's best game by far in my opinion. I'm still sad to this day that the Donkey Kong racing game that was on the gamecube boxes in NA became vaporware.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they named that talking clock Titties

On a serious note, this game is a M A S T A P E E C E

Flying into the snow world is magic

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Incredible how the first generation of 3D kart racers has yet to be collectively topped

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I shoot a missle at that dinosaur, I run into it and it flattens me. At least the boss music is amazing

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game had some of the best bangers of any kart racer

Also, unlocking Future Funland was one of the most overwhelming moments as a kid for me. Especially once you get all 47 balloons and also unlock the TT Door leading up to the final boss. The entire game I was wondering what the hell collecting those would lead up to. Those opening moments and the subsequent battle made me lose my fucking marbles, a mixture of fear and excitement turned to crazy technicolor insanity in such a short time frame.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo really needs to beef up the singleplayer component of future Mario Kart games. Mission Mode in DS was great, no idea why they removed it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was scared of Wizpig as a kid :-x

His stompy noises are still scary
You were not alone. The fact that every encounter with him pretty much begins with a jumpscare (arguably a comparatively mild one but it'd be BOOMING on my old CRT) didn't help that feeling, nor that every location you face him in could've passed for one of the darker locations in Jet Force Gemini, or even the utter helplessness you feel in trying to beat him before you realize the "trick" to it.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Insane how much content Rare packed into the game. Made up for Mario Kart 64 being mediocre.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Best kart racer of its time, Mario and Crash were simply not this good IMO.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The single player story mode was fantastic.

I remember sticking with Mario Kart for multiplayer.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Pipsy is arguably the best driver in the game. Not the fastest, but best/easiest handling, fastest recovery, fastest acceleration.
Tiptup and Pipsy are both really user-friendly. They don't have the speed of better characters but they give you enough control and recovery from mistakes/items that you can stay competitive.

And echoing many others... DKR is the best kart racing game of all time. Potentialy best racing game of all time. The Mario Kart series has always been lackluster and none have come close to DKR's variety and level design.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Something about the hub world always felt so damn mysterious to me. Rare had such an incredible knack for that kind of thing.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Me and a friend were obsessed with it when it came out. The singleplayer "campaign" was a fun idea and the secrets were very cool. Blew our minds when it turned out the final space courses weren't a fake rumour.

Wizpig is a cheating bitch, fuck that guy. The first notes of that race theme of his will never leave my brain.
I was scared of Wizpig as a kid :-x

His stompy noises are still scary
The one cutscene after you beat him where the camera slowly pans to him and the music becomes all serious used to scare me. Looking at it now it's incredibly silly, a giant pig hiding behind a lighthouse watching tiny animals partying. And that evil walk towards them is so dumb, lol

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I never played it either. Still haven't. The Christmas that it came out I asked my sister and her husband to get it for me as my Christmas present. They got me Extreme-G instead... That was a tough one to fake excitement about when opening the present.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nintendo and microsoft seem to be on good terms so it wouldn't be unbelievable if they worked out a deal for a remake.
I hope you're right but somehow I don't see them making this. In the list of Microsoft and Nintendo deals going through I think DKR is far down the list, sadly. And I also don't see as much fan demand as there was for CTR.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I played it properly for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I 100% it and unlocked the clock!

Something that I didn't realize till I read it too, to maximize boosts you need to take your finger off the accelerator until the smoke is about to disappear.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many people never beat the first Wizpig race? It was abusrdly difficult, espeically compared to the final one that was releatively easy.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never took notice of it until last year, but it looks cool, would dig a remake of it like Crash.