• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Self explanatory title, but if I want to pick one (that is readily available on Mac/PS5/Switch) is this my best shot?

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it would be a good starting point. Full voice acting helps.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy is basically on everything and would be a great starting point too. A lot of people get into visual novels because of Phoenix Wright.

Dec 21, 2017
Sure?

It's a great VN if you want to call it that - the story is Phenomenal, but there are also these RTS segments to split up the gameplay as well that are also pretty fine. I just feel like calling 13 sentinels just a VN as doing it something of a disservice, but it's a fantastic game that should be played.

Otherwise if you just want VN's, Ace Attorney Trilogy and Nonary Games.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't really say there is a best starting point. Just play the game you are interested in and go from there.

13 Sentinals is easily my favorite game of 2020. Have fun!

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Shibuya Scramble is a good one to start with too IMO. I wouldn't even consider myself someone who is into visual novels but I loved that game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it's a solid choice since it has a few "traditional" gaming bits to ease you in (even if I think the walking around is more detrimental to the experience than anything)

Ace Attorney, 999, and arguably even Layton are probably the best to get into "traditional" visual novels since their gameplay mechanics are more directly tied into the narrative

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
13 Sentinels is a good game. That also doesn't mean you will like pure VN like Steins;Gate

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
It is and it isn't.

It's great but a lot of that is playing on tropes of the convention and other media. You're not losing anything by not seeing that but it may make going back to other VNs harder as it's a very modern take on the genre. The DS is your best friend for VNs. There's classics like Phoenix Wright and Hotel Dusk, as well as not as polished but fun and well meaning stuff like Lux-Pain. (One of the weirdest translations as there's not too much VA but what is there was done by a different localization team and is generally, uh, better.)

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
some damn good games in this thread

May 19, 2020
i think visual novel is misbranding what the games actually are: adventure games with VN elements/influences. actual VNs are primarily text and art with little to no gameplay i.e. house of fata morgana, muv luv, steins gate, umineko, etc.

Last edited:

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
it's a solid choice since it has a few "traditional" gaming bits to ease you in (even if I think the walking around is more detrimental to the experience than anything)

Ace Attorney, 999, and arguably even Layton are probably the best to get into "traditional" visual novels since their gameplay mechanics are more directly tied into the narrative

It's my GOTY and while I love the characters, Iori and Hiijiyama we're SO awful at times. The damn cat treats. Actually. Anything involving
the real cat
as a mechanic.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Depends on what you mean by "starting point". As mentioned, it's part RTS. If you want to explore the VN as a genre, you're better off starting with gateway titles. There's Key VNs (Little Busters or Clannad), Phoenix Wright, Katawa Shoujo and Steins;Gate among others.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yes, its a great experience

44485.jpg

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Definitely start with Ace Attorney Trilogy. It's what got me into visual novels due to its great written mysteries and charming cast of characters. It's also essentially three full DS games for $20, which is a steal IMO.

Nonary Games and Danganronpa are also great. And for an indie, and a more relaxed experience, I also reccomend VA-11 HALL-A.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you like Killer7, or experimental, abstract and often horror adjacent stories, I'd recommend The Silver Case. I'd say it's my favorite VN, though I've only played a handful so far.

13 Sentinals is good if you dig sci-fi stuff though.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
The former is kinetic and sound novels like F/SN and the PC versions of Higurashi(which are more like actual novels, with a lot of text laid out on the screen). But stuff like Steins;Gate and 13 sentinels are definitely ADV games even if they have sub categories like ギャルゲー and stuff. On digital game stores these will be under アドベンチャー. (Heck you can even go on the japanese wiki pages for them, they'll say ADV or アドベンチャー under ジャンル)

Edit: On the nico nico encyclopaedia entry for NVL games, the first line is literally
文章を読むことが中心的のアドベンチャーゲームのこと。

Which translates roughly to an adventure game which focuses on reading. So even NVL games are considered adventure games.

Last edited:

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a visual novel though. More of a dialogue heavy point and click story adventure type game with some mech battles.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go in expecting it to be a starting point for VNs. Because it's radically different than other VNs, right down to how it's presented. Something like Ace Attorney is probably better as a starting point, to give you a better idea of what VNs are like.

That's not to say you can't start with 13 Sentinels though. Just don't expect other VNs to be anything like it whatsoever.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is more of a point and click game with less puzzles and more talking. And some RTS battles here and there.

Still, give it a try. It is a damn good game.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The only ones I have enjoyed are Ace Attorney and the nonary games. I find the anime aspects of most of the other popular ones to be a big turnoff.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
If you want to play a self contained story that has no sequels then yes. There is also AI The Somnium Files for this.

If you're looking to play ones with sequels then Ace Attorney, Zero Escape (third game is meh), and Danganronpa are good.

Some people here are trying to make too much of a distinction between visual novels and adventure games. 13 Sentinels is interactive in that you move characters around (in small rooms from point A to B while examining some things), and you have a combat and upgrade system which these other games don't have, but for the most part the core of the game is to read/listen to text. That's where the "novel" portion comes to play. If you're fine with a game like this then any of these are fine choices.

OP
OP
ngower

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Thanks for the nod to it being on sale at Best Buy. I have some rewards there so paid $5.30 out of pocket: I have some reservations about the game for sure but at $5 I'm not really sure I can go wrong.

EDIT: also, for the pedantry about nomenclature, it is regarded as a VN or at least a hyphenated VN/a game with VN trappings. Drive by "but it's not" posts aren't really doing anything to the convo here.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a visual novel, but it's a great game and worth trying yes

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Go play Ace Attorney right now. Just do it.

Then 13 Sentinels, 999, and Danganronpa are good choices

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be a good starting point. Full voice acting helps.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy is basically on everything and would be a great starting point too. A lot of people get into visual novels because of Phoenix Wright.

Oh damn, wasn't aware it had voice acting. Do you know if it's possible to mute it? I hate VA in text heavy games.

Oct 25, 2017
The best is probably just finding one you are really interested but it's an awesome game, definitely check it out.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really into them but recently played and loved 428 Shibuya Scramble. It was like a live action Japanese choose your adventure book where you can just go back to your last choice and choose a different outcome.

Loved that.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it doesn't play like a traditional visual novel, but yeah it's definitely a great starting point. It's incredible, and I expected the gameplay during the battle segments to be boring from the videos, but I actually found them pretty damn fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Get the Ace Attorney Trilogy if you want the best "First Visual Novel" ever.

It's also better than 13 Sentinels.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Play Steins;Gate Elite or Ace Attorney. Easier to follow.

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played 13 Sentinels yet but I'll echo that 999 or Ace Attorney is a great place to start. I'm less likely to recommend Danganronpa, I'm not sure how to articulate my frustrations with the series but I always came out of each game feeling some level of disappointment with both the story and the trial gameplay. It requires a tolerance for anime nonesense more so than some of the other VN's recommended here.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I also agree that the Ace Attorney and Zero Escape games would be better starting points. While I definitely enjoyed 13 Sentinels, the Destruction mode widely differs from most gameplay options in visual novels. Ace Attorney and the Zero Escape games do have puzzles and such which are more commonplace in the genre versus the RTS/tower defense in Sentinels. I do enjoy the Dangaronpa and Steins;Gates games as well but I must echo the point that they rely on anime-esque tropes more than AA and ZE do. And I would argue more than Sentinels does as well.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My recommended starting point would be the Ace Attorney trilogy. There's a ton of content and it's now widely accessible across all major platforms.