• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
don't treat it like a console... it's so much more...

Higher resolution/better FPS/Better image quality
Emulation
Mods on fave games
Free games (EGS for example)
Freedom of control (KB+M, any console controller)
Content creation

As a side note, I'd ask about your monitor - your monitor really makes a difference when getting the most from your PC. I use a high end Asus Ultrawide (PG35VQ) and that's the main reason I prefer gaming on PC. I love Ultrawide...

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Cheat in boring parts or difficult spikes of a game.
Remove weight limit in RPGs with mods.

Use a gamepad of mouse and keyboard. Choose how you want to play.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
TBH for me, it's VR + playing games at higher refresh rates.
Not all PS5 games will support 120, your PC will.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These new consoles at $499 have never made building a PC a more fruitless endeavour than it is right now.
Agreed.

I bounce on and off PC every generation ever since my teens.

Having used the PS5 for a few months now, it's been a sea-change moment. Any thought of ever owning a desktop PC again has been completely shredded from my mind, now that the HDD and CPU caveats the PS4 had have been completely resolved.

Maybe some of it is age. I had time for tinkering with in my teens, twenties, but now I just want to push the button in the centre of the controller and play. And certainly my peers have mostly gone a similar path, any who continue gaming into their thirties will mostly just pick up the appliance.

The expense, the build, windows, and all the little paper cut issues PC gives you isn't worth it anymore in exchange for... the same games as on console with slightly better settings, maybe, if you've spent enough and configured them correctly. PC exclusives are so few and far between, and when they crop up they tend to be be designed to run on low spec laptops (League of Legends, Valorant), or white elephant exceptions like Star Citizen.

Sure there are advantages it still has, tinkering, modding, emulation, early access titles, but plenty of paper cut inconveniences to balance that out.

If I was to get anything to supplement the PlayStation it would just be Series X.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The world is your oyster my man. Play some older games that you like, try some indie games you never got around to. Grab some Xbox exclusive games that you're interested in (Gears 5 Hivebusters is on Gamepass pc for example). Don't stress on the "I need to play the latest and greatest right now" or "I need to take advantages of what PC can do (modding etc. over console" that stuff will come with time. Just go with the flow. Your pc will be with you for a long time.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
PC threads always seems so weird here, people spend thousands of dollars, then act confused about the platform, or act like they can only play a PC with M&kb on a 13in tn monitor.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Get a mechanical keyboard and write a dissertation on why you should know why you're buying things ahead of time :P

Seriously do some of ya'll just buy stuff based on the length/popularity of threads (looking at you 3000 series pre-order thread of insanity)?

For a less abrasive response, get into indie games big time OP, check out itch.io, and bask in the glory of the gray market of game keys and sales, CDKeys and isthereanydeal.com are now your best friends.

I'm about to blow your mind are you ready? You can use that PC on your oled. I've been using mine on bigscreens for 10+ years. It's like you're actively trying to give the PS5 an arbitrary advantage. I guarantee 2077 on my 55 inch 4k tv on ultra with full RT looks plenty impressive. But hey I get it not everyone wants a PC in their living room. Mini itx will definitely by my next from the ground up build.
No need for the passive agressiveness, I simply don't have a computer close to my tv and don't even own a PS5. I have an mAtx so it's a bit chunkier than a mini itx. Plus I mainly use my desktop for development, so bringing it to the living room is not an option.

I get that people building a pc for gaming only have that advantages though. In other words I simply prefer the display over things like framerate and RTX since that's my situation.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Agreed.

Having used the PS5 for a few months now, it's been a sea-change moment. Any thought of ever owning a desktop PC again has been completely shredded from my mind, now that the HDD and CPU caveats the PS4 had have been completely resolved.

Maybe some of it is age. I had time for tinkering with in my teens, twenties, but now I just want to push the button in the centre of the controller and play. And certainly my peers have mostly gone a similar path, any who continue gaming into their thirties will mostly just pick up the appliance.

The expense, the build, windows, and all the little paper cut issues PC gives you isn't worth it anymore in exchange for... the same games as on console with slightly better settings, maybe, if you've spent enough and configured them correctly. PC exclusives are so few and far between, and when they crop up they tend to be be designed to run on low spec laptops (League of Legends, Valorant), or white elephant exceptions like Star Citizen.

Sure there are advantages it still has, tinkering, modding, emulation, early access titles, but plenty of paper cut inconveniences to balance that out.

If I was to get anything to supplement the PlayStation it would just be Series X.

PC exclusives really aren't "so few and far between", especially if you like indies. Console exclusives are so few and far between lol (basically only SIE and Nintendo games)

And I never "tinker" with anything, I play on the recommended settings for my machine. Took much longer to decide the options I wanted in TLOU II.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
This happens to everyone. Just the other day I walked into the Kitchen and was unsure why. Hate when that happens. I would play a video game on your PC personally speaking but you could just browse Era instead.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm about to blow your mind are you ready? You can use that PC on your oled. I've been using mine on bigscreens for 10+ years. It's like you're actively trying to give the PS5 an arbitrary advantage. I guarantee 2077 on my 55 inch 4k tv on ultra with full RT looks plenty impressive. But hey I get it not everyone wants a PC in their living room. Mini itx will definitely by my next from the ground up build.

I mean they did specify that they were using an ultrawide, so unless there are some high-end HDR OLED ultra-wides out there (that they can afford to buy right now) going to a TV is going to be more of a sidegrade than anything. That's not to mention space concerns; PCs tend to fit a lot nicer on dedicated desks than they do on home TV stations (as your desire for a Mini ITX build shows).

Even then, as someone who played a bunch of PC on my own OLED, there are still many issues. HDR was either completely absent or a pain-in-the-arse in most games whilst it's been a standard on consoles for years now, and it didn't support 4K/120hz in the way my Series X does. Then if you're willing to into more subjective territory a PC doesn't have most of the Playstation exclusives that are generally seen as benchmarks in both graphical fidelity and HDR quality; even on the best of PCs you'll still mostly just be playing multi-platform games at higher settings.

Jan 10, 2018
You've built yourself both a very powerful gaming and a great working platform. Get into music, video or photo editing and it will soon become the most valuable thing in your home. I use my PC mainly for gaming but it's also great to have as a creative working tool.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to experience AAA games that you can't on a console: Half Life Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077, and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Plum

May 31, 2018
If you want to experience AAA games that you can't on a console: Half Life Alyx, Cyberpunk 2077, and Microsoft Flight Simulator.

???

I've put 40 hours of generally-decent gameplay on my Series X, and Flight Simulator is literally getting a console version this Summer. Neither of those are PC-exclusive experiences lol

Half: Life Alyx is amazing though, but that still requires a few-hundred dollars more for the VR headset necessary.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
???

I've put 40 hours of generally-decent gameplay on my Series X, and Flight Simulator is literally getting a console version this Summer. Neither of those are PC-exclusive experiences lol

Half: Life Alyx is amazing though, but that still requires a few-hundred dollars more for the VR headset necessary.

CP2077 is basically a different game on consoles, if he plays it on a 3080 he'll know what I'm talking about.

and MSFS isn't on console yet so my point still stands, it's something new you can play that he couldn't before.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
Just do what the rest of us do

1. Download MSI afterburner.
2. Enable onscreen display.
3. Ruin whatever enjoyment you had with a game when it drops below 60fps or stutters and you then spend the next three days messing with the in-game settings trying to work out what's causing the performance issues.
I didn't need this personal attack

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I mean they did specify that they were using an ultrawide, so unless there are some high-end HDR OLED ultra-wides out there (that they can afford to buy right now) going to a TV is going to be more of a sidegrade than anything. That's not to mention space concerns; PCs tend to fit a lot nicer on dedicated desks than they do on home TV stations (as your desire for a Mini ITX build shows).

Even then, as someone who played a bunch of PC on my own OLED, there are still many issues. HDR was either completely absent or a pain-in-the-arse in most games whilst it's been a standard on consoles for years now, and it didn't support 4K/120hz in the way my Series X does. Then if you're willing to into more subjective territory a PC doesn't have most of the Playstation exclusives that are generally seen as benchmarks in both graphical fidelity and HDR quality; even on the best of PCs you'll still mostly just be playing multi-platform games at higher settings.
Well said. I also feel that things like attention to detail and motion capture add to the graphical impressiveness of a game eventhough it technically doesn't count as graphics. The only pc game that has really wowed me has been Half Life Alyx, but I wouldn't mind some graphical showcase recommendations for pc though :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
CP2077 is basically a different game on consoles, if he plays it on a 3080 he'll know what I'm talking about.

and MSFS isn't on console yet so my point still stands, it's something new you can play that he couldn't before.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves; the 3080 version might look amazing but it's not a "different game," than the 60fps, relatively high-resolution versions on PS5 and Series X. It's still incredibly buggy and lacking in many crucial gameplay systems; the game just looks a lot nicer and plays a bit better.

Your point does still stand technically but, I mean, saying that your $2,000+ device's main exclusives is a few months of playing a relatively niche Flight SImulator game before console owners isn't exactly a massive benefit imo.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Dude you can literally do ANYTHING. You can even run android games on your pc (gachas, etc) using emulators.

You have so much backwards compatibility, you could just play old games (at insane resolutions) and never run out of content. All with a dualshock 4 controller too! (Or dualsense!)

I think the better question is what CANT you do. Because there's far less of that than vice versa.

Oh btw, enjoy free online gaming....

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
play games on it that run and look better then on the PS5.

I mean, that's the entire point of getting a PC.

you can also sub to MS gamepass and play the free games on there. Make sure to get the free Epic games game every week as well.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves; the 3080 version might look amazing but it's not a "different game," than the 60fps, relatively high-resolution versions on PS5 and Series X. It's still incredibly buggy and lacking in many crucial gameplay systems; the game just looks a lot nicer and plays a bit better.

Your point does still stand technically but, I mean, saying that your $2,000+ device's main exclusives is a few months of playing a relatively niche Flight SImulator game before console owners isn't exactly a massive benefit imo.

Agree to disagree then, I and many others playing it on PC find it to be a totally difference experience. Even the bugs are lessened somehow.

And I didn't say it was the device's 'main exclusives'. I merely pointed out if he's looking for big budget amazing looking games that he couldn't play elsewhere you can play those. Everyone knows there is literally thousands of PC exclusives to play through, these are just recent and high profile.

Seriously sometimes I wonder why I even bother talking about pc gaming on this forum, lol

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Agreed.

Well yeah, with Xbox basically establishing a PC like Backwards compatibility foundation, a Series X might as well be your "PC" at $499 and a Game Pass sub.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Agree to disagree then, I and many others playing it on PC find it to be a totally difference experience. Even the bugs are lessened somehow.

And I didn't say it was the device's 'main exclusives'. I merely pointed out if he's looking for big budget amazing looking games that he couldn't play elsewhere you can play those. Everyone knows there is literally thousands of PC exclusives to play through, these are just recent and high profile.

Seriously sometimes I wonder why I even bother talking about pc gaming on this forum, lol

I literally just correct some objectively false statements and it's made out to be akin to forum-wide discrimination against PC gamers. Huh.

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'd say you built a rig at the wrong time. Halfway through a console generation is prime time to get a gaming PC as the visual improvements are immediately apparent and gratifying. Perhaps though it will be, even now. Keyboard and mouse access is slowly becoming a non-issue as console games start to support such inputs. While fine tuning settings is still in favor of PC I personally find it to be the most annoying thing about PC when all I want to do is simply play without feeling like I am missing out in something that improves the experience.

On the plus side you have access to modern VR setups and a multifunction machine that can do more than than play games and stream media. Also you can play games with just about the best visuals that are currently available.

MrFreeze

Oct 13, 2019
OP, I was in the same situation as you back in 2016. Wanted to build a PC for years to play games like WItcher 3, but once I got it, I didn't know what to do with it. Turns out I don't really like PC gaming. I was more concerned with running benchmarks and getting the most FPS with the highest graphical fidelity than I was actually enjoying the games I was playing.

I liked researching the parts to get the most out of my budget and building the PC more than playing on it. Once I found that out in 2017 I sold the PC during the crypto boom back then and managed to get most of my money back. Lesson learned I guess. I did like PC for all the reasons mentioned in this thread, but right now it's not for me and that's fine.

I do keep up with new hardware releases and such, so maybe I'll dive back in in the future.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I literally just correct some objectively false statements and it's made out to be akin to forum-wide discrimination against PC gamers. Huh.
There's been forum wide PC problems for a long time, anyone who's apart of the PC community already knows that. Hell it's been talked about in pretty much any PC thread about people not getting the platform. And we've had many of these threads before.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
You had a reason to build it in the first place. The answer is that. Guessing this is a stealth brag thread or something odd.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
don't treat it like a console... it's so much more...

Higher resolution/better FPS/Better image quality
Emulation
Mods on fave games
Free games (EGS for example)
Freedom of control (KB+M, any console controller)
Content creation

As a side note, I'd ask about your monitor - your monitor really makes a difference when getting the most from your PC. I use a high end Asus Ultrawide (PG35VQ) and that's the main reason I prefer gaming on PC. I love Ultrawide...

I kinda feel like I cheaped out on the monitor side- went with the Dell 2721DGF, and it's kinda dull? Doesn't really compare to the CX I have hooked up to the PS5 downstairs.

Nov 21, 2017
Just do what the rest of us do

1. Download MSI afterburner.
2. Enable onscreen display.
3. Ruin whatever enjoyment you had with a game when it drops below 60fps or stutters and you then spend the next three days messing with the in-game settings trying to work out what's causing the performance issues.

You mean below 144fps. Because I bought 144hz so I'm gonna USE all 144hz.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Now you can partake in the time honoured tradition. Playing games that ran on a potato a decade ago with your shiny new machine.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I kinda feel like I cheaped out on the monitor side- went with the Dell 2721DGF, and it's kinda dull? Doesn't really compare to the CX I have hooked up to the PS5 downstairs.

Hook your PC up to your TV or stream via Moonlight/Steam Link. Use your best hardware together.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well at 1440p you're guaranteed to run basically everything at the full 144FPS except for maybe Cyberpunk with full raytracing, and even then you'll get over 60FPS with the proper DLSS setting.

That Dell is a decent monitor but no, nothing will compare to that LG CX OLED.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018

Ah there you go man, if you connect it to a screen significantly worse then what your PS5 is connected to it's not going to help seeing the difference... Maybe look into that or even connect the PC to the TV if that's possible...

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I've done literally the same thing (lucked into a 3080 so I built a PC) and have the same "what should I play now" question. Love the suggestions I'm seeing.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
You should definately sell that card to me ASAP. Since PC has no games and the SSD is slower than the one in PS5, what on earth could you possibly want to use it for? Hit me up and ill transfer the money.

OP
OP
Draper

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Ah there you go man, if you connect it to a screen significantly worse then what your PS5 is connected to it's not going to help seeing the difference... Maybe look into that or even connect the PC to the TV if that's possible...

Yeah, with my set up, it's not really possible. Even in 2K, windows font and the like just seems oddly jaggy and rough. And yeah, the colors feel washed out so I've cranked the intensity. It's a bit better now.