• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it.

Loved the final fight. Dutch went all urban commando.

AqAtZeK.png

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Movie was ahead of it's time…love it.

Billy rules, love how he's the only one that really knows what's going on until it's too late.

"Bullshit. You ain't afraid of no man."

"There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Predator is great because it spends the first half of the film setting up the main cast as these unstoppable badass killing machines. Then it spends like ten minutes or so tearing them all apart before the third act starts.
The rare 80s Arnold film where he actively gets his ass kicked.

Also one of the top 2 monster designs ever. Based Stan Winston.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Just finished it.

Loved the final fight. Dutch went all urban commando.

My favorite thing about it- especially seeing it as a kid when it came out - was an absolute beast like Arnold feeling like the underdog at the end. He's smaller than the Predator. Weaker. Doesn't have the tech. He really has to use his brains to survive that last hunt. Fantastic final act.

Oct 27, 2017
Bonafide classic. Military action movie that turns into a horror movie slasher with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the "final girl". Fucking perfect.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That was probably the greatest handshake ever.

Already some great Arnold one-liners "Stick around."

Still waiting for the Predator to show up but I love the shots from its POV.

I already love this movie.
Greatest Test of Stength ever. (not a handshake they literally test their Stength against each other)

One of Arnold's best roles, better than the Terminator to me.

Second movie is better, in my opinion.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Dutch fought the Predator fair and square, and won. But the Predator cheats in the end with the big kaboom. I thought that was unfair.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I liked how the Predator acknowledged Dutch as a worthy opponent.

Absolutely.

Predator is great because it spends the first half of the film setting up the main cast as these unstoppable badass killing machines. Then it spends like ten minutes or so tearing them all apart before the third act starts.

Badass killing machines that you like instantly. They have a lot of character and charm, so when they start getting killed off, you're invested. Shitty action and horror movies never get this right.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Absolutely.

Badass killing machines that you like instantly. They have a lot of character and charm, so when they start getting killed off, you're invested. Shitty action and horror movies never get this right.
And it isnt that they start getting killed off. They get killed off WITH SPEED. And in horrific ways. They arent going out in blazes of glory. They are just fucking slaughtered in increasingly graphic ways and the survivors get more and more terrified. It is so damn effective.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't know if it's just childhood nostalgia but there was something special about Arnold movies in the 80s/early 90s that you don't really see with stars today.

The Rock was close in terms of charisma but his movies never felt like huge events to me the way Arnold movies did

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

This is what I absolutely love about the movie that so many other movies get wrong. The first act of the movie sets them up as these badass people only for the things to slowly fall apart when the second act ramps up. By the third act of the movie when the plan fails they decide to just make a run for it to the 'choppa' to get the fuck away from it. Without even really seeing the predator in the first 2 acts, we as the audience know that this thing is deadly because of how scared everybody else is.

I also think the music is amazing as well.

Hollywood just can't do these types of movies anymore.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Truly one of the great sci-fi action films ever made. This and Die Hard cement McTiernan as a legendary action director - wish he'd make a comeback.

The predator is handled almost as well as the shark in Jaws in this. The reveals are so subtle and progressive, he is a genuinely terrifying foe.

An infinitely rewatch able film. OP I'd really recommend predator 2. It's not as good by a long shot, but it's a genuinely good film in its own right with some wonderful characters.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's just childhood nostalgia but there was something special about Arnold movies in the 80s/early 90s that you don't really see with stars today.

The Rock was close in terms of charisma but his movies never felt like huge events to me the way Arnold movies did

Arnold movies are actually good, well written and paced. I can't say the same for the Rock movies. Arnold to his credit played a lot of different roles in a lot of different genres.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
John McTiernan was at the absolute top of his game in the late 80's. He directed Predator in '87, Die Hard in '88, and The Hunt for Red October in '90. That is one hell of a run. He fell off in later years, but that four year stretch is impeccable.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna have me some fun. I'm gonna have me some fun.

The movie is an absolute timeless classic. It is peak 80's action. Lean, violent, inappropriate, and bursting at the seams with testosterone. I watched it with my teenage daughters last year and they fucking loved it. All the creature's sounds and tech sound amazing on a good home theater system.

I saw it in the theater when I was 12. Between Predator (87), Robocop (87), Die Hard (88) and so many others… goddamn the 80's are absolutely untouchable in the movie department. I went to the movies 3-4 times a month back then, going off pretty much how cool the movie poster was and who was in it. So many gems. They sure don't make them like that anymore.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
John McTiernan was at the absolute top of his game in the late 80's. He directed Predator in '87, Die Hard in '88, and The Hunt for Red October in '90. That is one hell of a run. He fell off in later years, but that four year stretch is impeccable.
Like I have said many times before but a John McAfee movie directed by John McTiernan would be a crazy.

RandoPercy

Jun 12, 2022
I did not expect to come out of this movie loving Bill Duke most out of the cast.

Really the entire last third of the movie was brilliantly suspenseful.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Predator best action movie of all time. I might have to sit down with the 4K tonight

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
It holds up way better than other Arnold movies. Just so bad ass.

Die hard is still my fav 80s action movie though.