• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
So I've never played it before. I've only played RE2 Remake and RE7. I'm going on a resident evil marathon and playing all of them. I started with RE4 since it is the most critically acclaimed.

I got it on my switch and the controls are so bizarre. I'm using a pro controller. Why doesn't the camera work properly and why is the aiming and running so weird. I've died like 20 times within the first 30min and I'm basically fighting with the Controller at this point. I really want to give it a chance but agh it is so frustrating

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't speak for the Switch version but never had any issues with the GC/Wii or PS4 versions - never felt the camera was unfair or any deaths

Interesting

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to use the right stick for the camera. While it does actually move the camera, you actually change direction with the left stick, not the right. It may take a little getting used to.

*You can actually do a kind of quick turn with the right stick. That's more of an advanced move though.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I loved RE4 on the Gamecube but I think the game has aged pretty badly. I tried it on my Xbox One a while back and couldn't get into it again. If it's you first try, keep on trying though. It is an amazing ride.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What should I use instead?
There is no real camera option. It's tank controls. Think of the camera as using Leon's eyes to dart this or that way.

That said, maybe the Switch version altered the default controls. If you're using both triggers to shoot, it's not OG.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use the classic controls. Forgot which number it was but you use the movement analog to aim and press Y to shoot.

Anything else is trash.
Edit: I think it was Type III
Edit2: Type III for sure.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Dying 20 or so times at the start of RE4 is impressive in a way.
The controls work great for the game, but players used to more modern games may well find them unintuative. The combat is based around the concept of fight or flight positioning and choosing when to stand your ground and when to retreat are key.
I haven't played the Switch version, only the GC and Wii versions however I have heard that ports suffer from poor response in the controls.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What should I use instead?
I updated my post a bit.

Another move that may be useful is a 180 degree quick turn. You do it by tilting the left stick down and pressing a face button (I forget which one). Very useful for escaping enemies in front of you.

Edit: Oh yeah, you should be using classic controls. That's what the game is designed for. The left stick moves you forward, backwards, and turns you/your camera from side to side. You aim with the left stick too. The right stick does very little. You're mostly just pressing buttons with your right hand.

It'll seem weird that you can't move and aim simultaneously. Just remember that the enemies and encounters are designed around this limitation. In the early areas, you can shoot enemies in the leg to knock them down. Very useful.

Last edited:

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
To the OP, RE4 is sort of a halfway point between classic RE and the modern 3rd person games in terms of control--it's basically classic tank controls with a camera that is not fixed in one angle. At least to me, it does feel awkward and a little stiff in comparison to successor games or other action/horror hybrids like the Dead Space franchise. I can see it very much being an acquired taste.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
While RE4 is a great game, the camera controls are terrible. It sort of worked on the Wii but I'm unable to play it for example on PC due to how the camera works. Tank controls are fine but how you move the camera isn't. It's either get used to it or wait for the remake imo.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was an amazing experience on Wii with the Wiimote. Topped the experience I had with the game on Gamecube considerably.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Booted the game up, Type III OP!

The other options don't allow you to pick up stuff while running and the fact you use the same finger for movement and aiming makes it much easier to get "used" to the controls. You use the triggers for aiming the knife or the gun depending on which one you press.

The others try to make it a modern control scheme but that doesn't work with RE4.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I recently started my first playthrough of the game on Switch also.

The game is instrically designed around these controls.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Move the camera by turning Leon. If you can't get the hang of it, watch Mary Kish play it. She had only played REmake, and 2 and 3 on PS1 before, and she did just fine - 83% hit ratio, 38 deaths, 20 hour clear time.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
It hasn't aged particularly well unfortunately, but after a while you'll get used to the controls to an extent.

May 10, 2019
Honestly, since you played 2 of the more recent Resident Evils, why not start with the original remade one first?

I don't own a Switch so I don't have any helpful ideas with the controls, sorry.

OP
OP
Wise

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Booted the game up, Type III OP!

The other options don't allow you to pick up stuff while running and the fact you use the same finger for movement and aiming makes it much easier to get "used" to the controls. You use the triggers for aiming the knife or the gun depending on which one you press.

The others try to make it a modern control scheme but that doesn't work with RE4.
I'll try type 3 now, thanks

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I played it last month for the first time. Don't try to move the camera its a point and shoot game

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Switch version not long ago. Tank controls clicked 15 minutes in. I'll say don't use the right stick.
The game is still fantastic.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Everytime I go back to RE4 I have the same cruddy experience.... and then 10 minutes later I'm having a ball again. Stick with it OP!

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If you're having control issues I'd recommend the Wii Version

Easy to aim,

Remember to stop stay a distance and shoot.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
So I had issues with the control as well, I played the original game at launch, and it was really hard to go back. You get used to it after a while. I still remembered where everything was in the beginning of the game. I was kinda sucking, and only died once. I can't wait for the remake to get the RE2 controllers, it's gonna be awesome.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Learn to quick turn around
Figure out how to fire a few shots and when to run away

That's about it. The game is perfectly designed around its controls and the speed & tactics of the enemies approach you. You'll get used to it time. Much of the game, especially the opening section, is all about crowd control.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I could never get used to the controls in RE4. I know the game is designed around then, but I just don't find the controls fun.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So I've never played it before. I've only played RE2 Remake and RE7. I'm going on a resident evil marathon and playing all of them. I started with RE4 since it is the most critically acclaimed.

I got it on my switch and the controls are so bizarre. I'm using a pro controller. Why doesn't the camera work properly and why is the aiming and running so weird. I've died like 20 times within the first 30min and I'm basically fighting with the Controller at this point. I really want to give it a chance but agh it is so frustrating
The camera is working properly because it's meant to work that way. The aiming and running are not weird, you're just not used to them.
You have to learn how to play it or give up.
If you're not feeling it, just give up.

Res-bot

Nov 11, 2017
going from today's 3rd person controls to RE4 is a steep learning curve in unlearning all the quality of life improvement and expectations that are the foundation of your typical 3rd person shooter.

You can try persevere, the game AI, levels and gun control all work with the limitation in mind or wait for RE4mastered...

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Dying 20 or so times at the start of RE4 is impressive in a way.
The controls work great for the game, but players used to more modern games may well find them unintuative. The combat is based around the concept of fight or flight positioning and choosing when to stand your ground and when to retreat are key.
I haven't played the Switch version, only the GC and Wii versions however I have heard that ports suffer from poor response in the controls.
They do not. The default controls are just not good, the classic ones are better. Aiming with the right stick sucks pretty bad in this game.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
OP, I agree with you. I played and loved it when it originally released on Gamecube. I picked it up on PC not too long ago because I wanted to re-experience it and I made it maybe an hour into the game. The controls were just too terrible. It really needs a remake. Has that been confirmed to be in the works?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I go back to RE4 I have the same cruddy experience.... and then 10 minutes later I'm having a ball again. Stick with it OP!
Yeah, for me as well. You just need to warm up a bit. The game is completely designed around its controls scheme. You just have to play it like it was intended.

As a whole, I think the game as aged beautifully and is incredibly fun to play today.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The badly aged controls are going to be a struggle if you're only used to modern third person shooters.

I've personally found every fresh release of the game to be harder to play than the last due to the controls not getting at least some updated options to help with this. I mean, if REmake HD could do as much, then...

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
RE4 definitely takes a bit of work to get into these days but it feels good once you get used to how it controls.

Feel like this thread is a great example of why I welcome an RE4 remake, the game is a classic but isn't some infallible example of videogame perfection that everyone is going to easily get into. If Capcom fuck up a remake it'll be a shame but damn I'd love to see RE4 with RE Engine visuals and modern controls (with the necessary balancing).

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a mega RE fan and RE4 is my least favorite. Don't try to force it. If you're not feeling it move onto another RE and then maybe come back later.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Dying 20 times in 30 mins is quite the feat. Sounds like you're throwing yourself at the meat grinder, instead of trying to learn the controls.

I think the game has aged great, and the GameCube version is still the best version.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a mega RE fan and RE4 is my least favorite. Don't try to force it. If you're not feeling it move onto another RE and then maybe come back later.

Same. Don't get the adoration for it at all. for
me it's the bastard child of action RE and classic RE and changed the series in a direction I didn't like for a good while.

But answering Op, it's an old game. From a different time. Use type III as people already hinted but even then there's an adaptation time to go through

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
TheGreatJordan keep us posted about your resident evil 4 progress.

I've played it around 20 or more times since release , it's that good

Oct 25, 2017
The opening sequence is a trial by fire if you really have to learn the controls from scratch. Don't worry about dying a lot, just use the combat scenario as an intense training ground. In a couple hours you'll feel much more at home as long as you pick a control scheme and stick with it.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I would say stop playing. Especially if you've been playing for that long and are dying constantly while not having fun.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Remember that this was made for the Gamecube and the second analogue stick on that controller was a bit puny.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If the Switch port is like the Xbox One and PS4 versions there seems to be some issues with the aiming deadzone and acceleration. I definitely noticed it playing on PS4. I'd rather just stick with the Wii Edition.