• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
So my activity account has $4000 in it. What's the best bang for my buck to spend this on for hardware. My club last spring had 15 kids in it. They all played on console because we didn't not have gaming pc's available.

We do have some pretty good spec'd Desktops laying around with 5 gen i5's and 8gb of RAM. Maybe video cards?

Any advice you could throw my way, I'd appreciate.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Do they already have team uniforms with a cool logo? It's a good way to promote the club if they walked around school wearing them

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
What games are they interested in typically? If 15 kids show up, do you have enough computers/consoles for everyone to be playing simultaneously?

Do they have phones that could run Fortnite or Underlords?

They can play League and most Auto Chess games on a toaster.

Super Smash and Mario Kart would be really easy to setup.
Do they already have team uniforms with a cool logo? It's a good way to promote the club if they walked around school wearing them
A club shirt for every kid would be a good investment too if you wanted more people to get interested.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd get a few switches for smash, mario kart etc. 10 or so ps4s or xbox one, setup game sharing between each pair.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
cSEHEYH.gif

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the games they're interested I imagine. You could get a handful of decent PCs, but that's less useful if the kids randomly love Smash Bros or Halo.

I would probably focus on the free to play games like Fornite, LoL, Hearthstone, DOTA.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Do you know the specific CPUs? Also what games are you going to play?
If it's something that doesn't require lots of power like Fortnite this will be fine.
Didn't include the OS because your school you have a way to get them free.
Do you also need peripherals?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - SU800 128 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($22.03 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($41.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $594.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-11 15:01 EDT-0400

Oct 28, 2017
5th gen i5's should be good enough and not need replacement if you want to go the PC route. Games like Fortnite, CSGO and DOTA2 aren't really that GPU heavy so you could outfit them all with cheap enough GPU's and have a healthy PC comp scene going, both on LAN and also going online together.

Logical Increments has excellent build guides specific for games, so you can check that out for advice on GPU's to look into, as per the games the kids are interested in: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
yo i wish my school had an esport league growing up we would have clapped.

also you can probably get some RX500's for cheap these days, those will do any game you want at 1080p@60.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are High School eSports leagues?! What a time to be alive....
Probably get a poll on what are the popular esports titles with the kids these days and go from there?
You can make cheap computers with the Ryzen APU's

I'm fighting game biased so I say buy them some PS4 and arcade sticks and make them fight to the death.

Please don't make meme flyers

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something like 1050ti that can be slotted into a PCI slot w/o any extra power. Could buy used to save even more.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
it's actually making me inordinately happy that someone quoted that and didnt take it at face value in this forum lol

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
what do you play at this club? the answer to your question is largely dependent on that.

Mar 29, 2018
Maybe hold a meeting first and find out what games the current generation want to focus on

Then strategise what you're gonna buy

Also make sure to put ads up saying "girls welcome" :)

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy a Switch with a few controllers with Smash Bros and Mario Kart to help with excess kids since Smash can play up to 8 players. $500 is the better investment when your thinking about how many kids could play in excess. Also skip buying a PS4 and XB1. Focus more on desktop computers with basic keyboards and mice. Dont bother with all the gaming branded stuff.

Just look at refurbished computers.

Have money on the side for each computer you buy (5 computers gave about $50 each in case you need to buy a copy of the same game if they decide to be competitive about it)

OP
OP
Replicant

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What games are they interested in typically? If 15 kids show up, do you have enough computers/consoles for everyone to be playing simultaneously?

Do they have phones that could run Fortnite or Underlords?

They can play League and most Auto Chess games on a toaster.

Super Smash and Mario Kart would be really easy to setup.

A club shirt for every kid would be a good investment too if you wanted more people to get interested.
They bring their own consoles. We use highschoolesportsleague as our league and the games are specific in which they can compete.

This spring it was rainbow six, fortnite and smash as the games our kids played.

OP
OP
Replicant

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The desktops we have are broadwell i5's. Should be okay.

Shirts and apparel was on my list. We can get those through our league for not too much money.

And yes high school esports is a thing. College scholarships available these days too.

OP
OP
Replicant

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Buy a Switch with a few controllers with Smash Bros and Mario Kart to help with excess kids since Smash can play up to 8 players. $500 is the better investment when your thinking about how many kids could play in excess. Also skip buying a PS4 and XB1. Focus more on desktop computers with basic keyboards and mice. Dont bother with all the gaming branded stuff.

Just look at refurbished computers.

Have money on the side for each computer you buy (5 computers gave about $50 each in case you need to buy a copy of the same game if they decide to be competitive about it)

We require all students to bring and supply their own games. Hardware too for the most part. My goal with buying PC's or parts for PC's as some of the games are PC only and many of students do not have a gaming PC, but they do have consoles. Overwatch for example in our league is PC only.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
They bring their own consoles. We use highschoolesportsleague as our league and the games are specific in which they can compete.

This spring it was rainbow six, fortnite and smash as the games our kids played.
These are the games then: https://www.highschoolesportsleague.com/league-info

They can choose from:

Rocket League - Switch, PS4, Xbox, PC
Counter-Strike: GO - PC
League of Legends - PC
Overwatch - PC
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Switch
Fortnite - Switch, PS4, Xbox, PC, Mobile
Rainbow Six: Siege - Xbox, PC
NBA 2k - PS4, Xbox
Madden NFL - PS4, Xbox
FIFA - PS4, Xbox

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I definitely recommend is reaching out to the offices of various game publishers and console manufacturers. They are usually very happy to provide some small goodies like shirts, keychains etc. that you can use as prizes or for giveaways, some send decorations (especially cool if you have tourneys for certain games), and some even are willing to send you game copies and all that jazz.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
And yes high school esports is a thing. College scholarships available these days too.

It still boggles my mind how far gaming acceptance in schools has come over the last twenty years. Over the weekend I was reminiscing with a friend at his 40th birthday party about the time we founded a gaming club on campus (this was back in 2000-2001). We had to get approval through the student government and requested no funding (we just wanted club status so we could reserve campus rooms for tournaments and the like), but we were met with severe push-back from the student government. Some people thought a "gaming club" would imply the college would be endorsing gambling. Some students never even heard the word gaming used in a context outside of hunting. It was a giant PITA just to get that official recognition from the school. It feels weird to hear about college sponsorships and the like today.

OP
OP
Replicant

Replicant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It still boggles my mind how far gaming acceptance in schools has come over the last twenty years. Over the weekend I was reminiscing with a friend at his 40th birthday party about the time we founded a gaming club on campus (this was back in 2000-2001). We had to get approval through the student government and requested no funding (we just wanted club status so we could reserve campus rooms for tournaments and the like), but we were met with severe push-back from the student government. Some people thought a "gaming club" would imply the college would be endorsing gambling. Some students never even heard the word gaming used in a context outside of hunting. It was a giant PITA just to get that official recognition from the school. It feels weird to hear about college sponsorships and the like today.
I had to really hammer home to our school board for approval for our club and explain that it isn't just kids wanting to play video games. Also had to explain the violence aspect. I also had to volunteer my time to be the advisor where most advisors for clubs and activities get paid.