• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rey who?

• Reypublic Commando

Votes: 127 17.1%
  • Rey Rey Binks

Votes: 239 32.1%
  • Rey All the Jedi

Votes: 39 5.2%
  • Rey Barone

Votes: 43 5.8%
  • Rey Palpatine

Votes: 162 21.8%
  • REEEEEEEEEYYYYY

Votes: 134 18.0%

• Total voters

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Rei

tumblr_p8liwgnLp91usyygio2_540.gifv

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This would have been WAY to end it on. She didn't need to be a Skywalker to matter.
Rey choosing to take on that name could have been fine, she came from a rough background and through the story becomes empowered enough to carry on the name skywalker, spiritually anyone becoming a Skywalker could have been a decent continuation of the themes of TLJ but the execution ended up being crap. Imo there are much worse moments in TROS.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why the guy who wrote BvS and Justice League was called on to write... that. To this day the only Star Wars movie I haven't re-watched, and don't really want to.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In my head canon, the credits roll after she buries Luke and Leia's lightsabers.
My head canon the story stops before 'The Dead Speak!' I know a lot of people here said they want to delegitimatise the sequel trilogy, but imo there are some worthwhile scenes in TLJ and I thought Luke's death scene was handled very gracefully.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I still can't believe the Palpatine shit. I remember sarcastically joking after the vitriolic reception to TLJ and the endless crying about how Rey and Snoke are relative nobodies that they would bring Palpatine back to appease the naysayers, and then they fucking brought Palpatine back. And tied Rey's lineage and Snoke's existence directly to him.

I mean just, wow.

Forget even "I'm Rey Skywalker" which is just corny ass "I'm really a Skywalker deep down" tripe. She's literally a Palpatine, and not like some distant relative but his actual granddaughter. That is just so much worse.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can say what you want about the Last Jedi, but making Rey a "nobody" was exactly what Star Wars needed at this point and I'll always be shocked they so bluntly went back on a great message like that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe the Palpatine shit. I remember sarcastically joking after the vitriolic reception to TLJ and the endless crying about how Rey and Snoke are relative nobodies that they would bring Palpatine back to appease the naysayers, and then they fucking brought Palpatine back. And tied Rey's lineage and Snoke's existence directly to him.

I mean just, wow.

Forget even "I'm Rey Skywalker" which is just corny ass "I'm really a Skywalker deep down" tripe. She's literally a Palpatine. That is just so much worse.
The stupidest thing about the movie is the implication that Rey will fall to the darkside because she's a Palpatine. Even though previously there were never any hints that she's ever been anything other than a good person. They really saw TLJ and figured that Rey's character arc should involve "Will she turn evil cause genetics?! Clearly the worst thing Rey could possibly ever find out is that her parents...DID love her...BUT she's related to the evil guy." They really decided on that and not, a film wherein the literal last jedi has to reconcile with that and her insecurities. Her last line in TLJ was literally:
tumblr_p5jyonpCtY1rp74xfo4_500.gif

She should've been a jedi with imposter syndrome.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My head canon the story stops before 'The Dead Speak!' I know a lot of people here said they want to delegitimatise the sequel trilogy, but imo there are some worthwhile scenes in TLJ and I thought Luke's death scene was handled very gracefully.
They made new star wars movies after the prequels? Huh... I don't remember it. I barely remember the prequels.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
It's the perfect capstone for a lazy, cynical piece of shit like TROS.

Has any merch referred to Rey as a Skywalker? If they ever bring her back, I expect (and hope) they will quietly ignore this ever happened.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She should have pulled off a mask and revealed that she was in fact Sweet Dee Reynolds from Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The stupidest thing about the movie is the implication that Rey will fall to the darkside because she's a Palpatine. Even though previously there were never any hints that she's ever been anything other than a good person. They really saw TLJ and figured that Rey's character arc should involve "Will she turn evil cause genetics?! Clearly the worst thing Rey could possibly ever find out is that her parents...DID love her...BUT she's related to the evil guy." They really decided on that and not, a film wherein the literal last jedi has to reconcile with that and her insecurities. Her last line in TLJ was literally:
tumblr_p5jyonpCtY1rp74xfo4_500.gif

She should've been a jedi with imposter syndrome.
I hate that it came to that, but I have little hope that the next director won't draw the same conclusion thanks to Episode IX.

I want a new Star Wars with a new slate, but I'm resigned to the fact that we won't get a movie like that.

As for the last part... well at least there's fanfiction.