• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
When I say cutting my food down, I don't mean in a negative way. Recently over the past few months and specially over Christmas my eating has just ballooned. I exercise every day, run 4 times a week, but I've been eating so much I've been piling the weight on. I ate two family size birthday cakes in a week, on top of chocolate, sweets, normal meals, fast food, etc. So I have put myself on a Diet. Not starvation levels, just cutting out chocolate, cake, sweets, fast food, eating 3 meals a day, etc. And I'm just struggling with it, it's been 3 days and I just feel starving hungry all the time, even when I've just eaten. I'm drinking plenty of water, keeping exercising, but still, just hungry all the time.

Eat more foods that have a higher satiety value. Also, your hunger is just dictated by hormones (normally), and after a few days, your pangs should subside. The first 2-3 days are the worst, and it gets easier after that. It might help too if you try intermittent fasting, depending on how you've been scheduling your "three meals". When you start cutting down on the actual times you are eating, you adjust to being not hungry during those periods. So instead of eating during a twelve hour period, try cutting it to eight. It would be like skipping breakfast for most, and then just eat lunch/dinner, but around the same amount of calories you would normally eat with three meals when trying to lose weight.

People are different, but generally the "you should be eating more, smaller meals throughout the day" isn't good advice for losing weight. You want your frequency to be less, even if you are eating the same amount of calories. Also, unless you just have no self-control, you don't need to go full cold turkey on all of the "bad foods". You can still eat them one or two days a week as long as you can moderate them. It's better to give them up entirely, but not all at once or you're just asking to relapse and go on a junk food binging spree. Just start the substitution process slowly, because that way it should last.

The only thing that works for me is getting all the stuff you don't want to eat out of the house. Don't buy it, and if it's in the house get rid of it. If the oreos ain't there you can't eat them.

Imagine how hard it is when you have a friend who has awful eating habits, and every time they come over they bring a bunch of snack cakes or oreos and constantly ask if you want any. For those who have been in a similar situation with junk food, it's like offering an addict their vice.

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
For me using MyFitnessPal to see the contents of what I was eating really helped. It made it easier to cut some things out when I saw their actual sodium or sugar content.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
This is a struggle I'm going through right now after 90% of last year went really well. I'm not OP but thanks to those of you sharing encouragement and tips here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I say this adage is true for most people with a normal genetic profile: You cannot out work a bad diet.

Here is how you solve the problem with being too hungry:

1) Fill yourself up with volume-dense vegetables - leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
2) Eat a decent amount of healthy fat - have some bacon and eggs (not just egg whites), higher fat meat (like 80/20 hamburger or ribeye steaks), some nuts, etc. Fat will satiate you better then the other macros.
3) Eat at least 60g of protein each day. Don't go crazy and go past 100g (unless you're strength training).
Great advice.
I just want to add
4) Fill up with fiber-heavy foods.

Your first point kinda covers that! But yeah, fiber-rich foodstuffs will make you feel full as hell and easier poops!

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't eat things you don't like, and don't go so far in cutting your calories so suddenly, that's why you might be "starving". Your body is not handling the change well. Cut down on certain portions. Christmas and parties and holidays in general are dangerous because it leads to binge eating which leads to weight gain. Use veggies to bulk up the meals.

Watch Athlean-X's video on diet:

Very useful video.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's different, but besides everything mentioned above--healthy snacks, water, keeping junk out of the house--what works the most for me is very deliberately tracking food. And for as long as you can, measure and count calories. Measuring food and counting calories isn't really permanently manageable (or it's a huge pain in the ass, anyway), but after a while you get a feel for how much you're eating and can eyeball the amount and calorie content.

But you can always track food and eat very deliberately. Never graze or mindlessly eat, like munching out of a big bag or losing track of what you've eaten. If you want a snack, just be aware that you are having a snack now, what you ate, and how much. When I get out of this habit, I gain weight. Started tracking again after the holidays and I've taken at least five pounds off already.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I find meal prep helps a lot. Plan and prepare your meals for the week ahead of time to provide a set amount of calories and macros(carbs, fat, protein) that you need each day, but don't just cut out things you like, just be smarter about what you eat throughout the day. Then get rid of all the excess food you have that doesn't fit into your predefined meals. That way you remove all temptation to snack and eat outside your designated meals. If you can stick to that for a little while your stomach will shrink and you'll adjust. A little at least. I still struggle with over eating and binging on things, but overall I'm way less ravenous than I was.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keys for most people are:

1. Do meal prep (Sunday's work for lot's of people, but whatever consistent off day you have most weeks) where you cook and prep things and put them in appropriately portioned containers and stick to those for most, if not all, your meals.

2. Have some healthy, appropriately portioned healthy snacks to eat between meals. It's better to have 5 or 6 smaller eating times a day than 2 or 3 bigger meals.

3. Don't have unhealthy stuff in the house so you don't give into eat. If you're having a cheat meal or two a week, do that either eating out or pickup up one thing/meal to prep and eat at home. That can be tough if you live with others not on the same diet, but do what you can.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Get some more fibre in your diet. Replace sweets with Fruit while you adjust. You'll get the sugar kick but will be full for longer.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Get some more fibre in your diet. Replace sweets with Fruit while you adjust. You'll get the sugar kick but will be full for longer.

I find bananas to work the best for that. Oh, and if you really want to eat some "junk food" that's sort of like eating cake, but it's not entirely garbage, eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's rather filling too thanks to the peanut butter.

It's better to have 5 or 6 smaller eating times a day than 2 or 3 bigger meals.

It's really not though. You also burn more calories while exercising without food in your stomach. For weight loss, less frequency is what you want. For weight training, it doesn't matter as much, and you would be better off eating prior and maybe after a big workout when you are trying to gain mass.

Last edited:

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
When I say cutting my food down, I don't mean in a negative way. Recently over the past few months and specially over Christmas my eating has just ballooned. I exercise every day, run 4 times a week, but I've been eating so much I've been piling the weight on. I ate two family size birthday cakes in a week, on top of chocolate, sweets, normal meals, fast food, etc.
So I have put myself on a Diet. Not starvation levels, just cutting out chocolate, cake, sweets, fast food, eating 3 meals a day, etc. And I'm just struggling with it, it's been 3 days and I just feel starving hungry all the time, even when I've just eaten. I'm drinking plenty of water, keeping exercising, but still, just hungry all the time.
You exercise a decent amount so if you're constantly hungry you're not eating enough of the right things.

Your body is craving protein, fat and carbs.

You're filling it with sugar.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I find bananas to work the best for that. Oh, and if you really want to eat some "junk food" that's sort of like eating cake, but it's not entirely garbage, eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's rather filling too thanks to the peanut butter.

Yup. It's just about eating smarter. You can still enjoy your favourite tastes and flavours

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly one of the hardest things I have ever done. For me, it took incredible resolve and discipline. I slacked off on it a few months back and have yet to be able to get to the same cadence I had before, even if I have managed not to regain much weight (lost 100, regained 15), it's being incredible difficult to go back to where I once was. My advice is you just need to push yourself through, as hard as I know that is. There are tons of tips and tricks, but at the end of the day you have to want it bad enough and make it the most important thing you do in order to succeed.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
What works for me is to starve myself for a 1-2 weeks (usually only 1 week for me), basically cut my food intake down to 3 normal sized meals with minimal to no snacking, this seems to shrink my stomach a little bit because after that I get less cravings and am satisfied with smaller portion sizes. Easy to maintain it once you hit this level but a few days of overeating can undo it so it's something that needs constant discipline.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was ballooning up by eating like madman after my wedding and through the holidays. I switched to Michael Mosley's Fast800 program, and have been doing the 800ish (more like 900-1000) each day for the past two weeks. Extending it to this week.
Prior to this I was eating around 2400 calories a day, so it's a big change. Finding it really resets you - Im hungry but not THAT hungry. And after my one big 500ish calorie meal I'm actually full.
One of the big tips to curb hunger is to drink a lot of water and sugar free soda water/soda. I have a bottle of Coke zero, plus a bunch of plain soda water. It fills me up, for the most part.
You'll get over the hunger, OP. Might want to try some Intermittent Fasting (16:8) so that you let your body feel hungry and get past that point to where it goes away. If you're always giving into your hunger, maybe that's not a good thing.
What works for me is to starve myself for a 1-2 weeks (usually only 1 week for me), basically cut my food intake down to 3 normal sized meals with minimal to no snacking, this seems to shrink my stomach a little bit because after that I get less cravings and am satisfied with smaller portion sizes. Easy to maintain it once you hit this level but a few days of overeating can undo it so it's something that needs constant discipline.
3 normal sized meals seems like how you should eat all the time, not just when you're "starving yourself"?

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
go to the grocery as often as you need to, spend as much money as you need so you have fruits and veggies at all times. ie: choose 3 fruits you want to always have in your kitchen, and then always have them

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's your mental health? Is your eating at all fueled by anxiety, insecurity, self-destruction, etc? Are you experiencing cravings, or are you just really hungry?

Oct 28, 2017
It's like 80% fat isn't it and 20% water?
giphyg5kdz.gif

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
You're on a good ways in cutting the junk.

Just make sure you're eating well too. lightly processed, heaps of greens, quality meats.

You're working out a fair bit as well, make sure your diet is to suit. No point lifting and doing cardio if you're not fueling it appropriately.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm was in a similar situation after the holidays but started my interval fasting up again. I only eat between 5 and 10pm now and already lost pounds in the last 3 weeks.

First few days were a struggle but I kept myself busy with work and sports(I do running and rowing). Now I don't even notice anymore.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anytime you're hungry drink a Monster Ultra (no sugar) as caffeine is a fantastic appetite suppressant and a good pre workout (coffee or a caffeine tablet would be a good substitute). I usually have about 450mg of caffeine per day (a can at 7am, a can at 11am and a can about 4pm). I'm literally never hungry until 5-6pm.

Have a protein shake for lunch if you must eat some calories or are lifting weights to repair.

Have a large meal of whatever you like for 1500 calories around 5pm. You'll be full until bed.

I used this method over a year (while eating crap two days per week) and I lost around 50lbs. I've kept that weight off long term, have great blood / doctor results and I'm never hungry, bored with my food intake or even think about being on a diet. People now call this "intermittent fasting" apparently.

All the best.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Make sure that the foods you eat are high in the satiety index and high on fiber. That way you don't even want to eat more. Foods with low energy density are your friend. Even for snacks try to eat things that fill you up easier while tasting great like popcorn or peanuts.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
The holidays have definitely been a struggle. I've still been going the gym like I always have but Ive avoided the scale the whole time. Now that all of that is over I've slowly gotten my routine back but man, my brain thinks about the chicken and the broccoli now and just goes into "fuck that" mode.

Can't wait til that cycle is broken again

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how hard it is when you have a friend who has awful eating habits, and every time they come over they bring a bunch of snack cakes or oreos and constantly ask if you want any. For those who have been in a similar situation with junk food, it's like offering an addict their vice.
Yeah me and my friends used to get together once a week and play board games and eat fucking garbage. Chips, candy chocolates all the bad shit. My weight ballooned big time.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Don't eat things you don't like, and don't go so far in cutting your calories so suddenly, that's why you might be "starving". Your body is not handling the change well. Cut down on certain portions. Christmas and parties and holidays in general are dangerous because it leads to binge eating which leads to weight gain. Use veggies to bulk up the meals.

Watch Athlean-X's video on diet:

What the guy says in that video is basically how I stopped completely the creeping weight gain I had had for the past three years.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
With holidays and then a week long vacation that took me out of my routine and featured a lot of restaurants I definitely gained a bit. Today I'm back to 'normal' with routine and exercise, though. I'm tightening the belt a bit for at least a week or two, though. I was getting more lax for a while there but I need to shed things, so I know where you're coming from.

For me I count calories and that keeps me on track. I average through the week so if I fuck up then I need to make it up elsewhere. For me it's all about having a plan, sticking to that, and making sure I have snacks spaced to get me through to the next meal. The longer I'm hungry the more likely I am to eat something stupid, sometimes. And having a planned snack means I won't opt for something stupid, too. I have a single serving snack of honey nut Cheerios now. It's something small I can actively eat for upwards of like a half hour and only adds like 100 calories. That's an entire half hour my brain is at least feeling like it's actively fixing my hunger issue. Banana's my go to mid morning snack, too (I eat breakfast ridiculously early because of baby wake-ups, so I need it).

The only thing that works for me is getting all the stuff you don't want to eat out of the house. Don't buy it, and if it's in the house get rid of it. If the oreos ain't there you can't eat them.

This is me. I can't buy a lot of stuff. If it's not there I can't eat it. If it is there I have no goddamned willpower whatsover.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The problem I have is if I cheat at all my body instantly craves everything bad.

I have one cookie or one can of soda and suddenly my mind wants to eat a pound of chocolate chip cookies with a side of Taco Bell and a liter of Baja Blast.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I'm currently doing OMAD (one meal a day) myself. I've done it for 2 months before but it kinda got rekt due to Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's. It works for me, though everyone is understandably different. Personally I find the struggle with OMAD is dealing with the first 1-3 days of trying it out. Once I got over the hurdle it's been easy for me to get over the feeling of hunger throughout the day.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah me and my friends used to get together once a week and play board games and eat fucking garbage. Chips, candy chocolates all the bad shit. My weight ballooned big time.

I always decline, and I just make sure I've eaten an actual meal not long before said friend arrives. It's even harder to say "No!" when you're hungry.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate coffee though. I tend to drink at least 5-7 cups of tea a day, but that's with two tea spoons of sugar in each, so I'm gonna have to start cutting that out too.
You gotta learn to love the taste of tea without sugar. It's delicious!
I always decline, and I just make sure I've eaten an actual meal not long before said friend arrives. It's even harder to say "No!" when you're hungry.
I used to bring my own healthy snacks to board game night. Too easy to eat like shit.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anytime you're hungry drink a Monster Ultra (no sugar) as caffeine is a fantastic appetite suppressant and a good pre workout (coffee or a caffeine tablet would be a good substitute). I usually have about 450mg of caffeine per day (a can at 7am, a can at 11am and a can about 4pm). I'm literally never hungry until 5-6pm.

Have a protein shake for lunch if you must eat some calories or are lifting weights to repair.

Have a large meal of whatever you like for 1500 calories around 5pm. You'll be full until bed.

I used this method over a year (while eating crap two days per week) and I lost around 50lbs. I've kept that weight off long term, have great blood / doctor results and I'm never hungry, bored with my food intake or even think about being on a diet. People now call this "intermittent fasting" apparently.

All the best.

Shit, I got off caffeine and my weight went up because of it? Motherfucker.

No wonder it got so hard to fast after that.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I was the same way. One of the reasons I recommend the keto diet to people is I'm never hungry when on keto and I don't get cravings. I've found lots of substitutes for stuff like chocolate which I love. I've had lots of days when I end up well under my calorie goal and I don't even notice because I'm not really hungry.

Keto plus intermittent fasting and I've lost 45 lbs since Aug. Right now I'm the slimmest I've been in 20+ years.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
When I say cutting my food down, I don't mean in a negative way. Recently over the past few months and specially over Christmas my eating has just ballooned. I exercise every day, run 4 times a week, but I've been eating so much I've been piling the weight on. I ate two family size birthday cakes in a week, on top of chocolate, sweets, normal meals, fast food, etc.
So I have put myself on a Diet. Not starvation levels, just cutting out chocolate, cake, sweets, fast food, eating 3 meals a day, etc. And I'm just struggling with it, it's been 3 days and I just feel starving hungry all the time, even when I've just eaten. I'm drinking plenty of water, keeping exercising, but still, just hungry all the time.

Theres two ways to go about this. You can eat a ton of vegetables, or I'd say better to load up on protein. I've been loading up on egg whites, literally all protein no fat no carbs. Protein is way better for satiety than eating a ton of veggies and drinking water all day.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like intermittent fasting. In my experience it's hard to just reduce the amounts of food, because you always can find a way to justify just a bit more and then things snowball. The only things that work for me are either cutting out certain food types cold turkey, or cutting out when you can eat. The former is keto which works but is a little sketchy as far as I'm concerned, so I dropped it. I like intermittent fasting because it's a lot easier to just say "oh, it's 7:30 I can't eat anymore" than "oh, I already had 400 calories of sugar today I probably shouldn't have any more."

Then when you're hungry at night drink so much water that you're full anyway

edit: Oh and yeah, all that sugar in tea is probably most of your problem tbh. Cut it outtttt. Just drop it cold like they'd tell you to do in a substance abuse support group lol

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My solution to binging on sweets and stuff (i'd legit eat an entire can of peanutbutter if given the chance, i love that shit) is to just not have it in the house in the first place. I buy only what I need for my meals for the week and nothing else. It has helped significantly.

This helps a lot. When I was really struggling to break bad habits, I bought only foods that required cooking. For carbs, no bread, just dry pasta. For meat, no salami or whatever, just raw meat. Etc. then if you get a snack craving you don't have a choice but to chomp on celery or whatever raw vegetable you happen to have.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I got off caffeine and my weight went up because of it? Motherfucker.

No wonder it got so hard to fast after that.

Yeah I'm certainly not advocating what I do as healthy in anyway (although I'm way below the NHS guideline of 600mg of caffeine per day max and as I said great check up results from the doctor) but it's certainly working for me as someone who struggled to lose weight several times in the past.

There's no greater tool for fighting hunger than caffeine imo. It's more often than not the main ingredient to any expensive "diet pill".

Obviously anyone wanting to lose weight should combine whatever they're doing diet wise with at least an hour of walking three days per week. That's how I got my best results and I felt much better mentally with the added exercise.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good move OP. I managed to kick sugar awhile back for a good stretch and was much better for it. Slipped in the New Year with a heavy mental slump and ended up hitting a full Ben & Jerry's tub a night for a few weeks alongside snacks inbetween meals. Managed to scale back but it's still too much long-term. Being tall and having a decent frame I can hide some weight gain pretty well but I don't do too much exercise so it's usually the health perspective that kicks me. Now that BMI is poking outside the lines and that breath-in is a little deeper to get back to normal I should probably really start to kick it. Thread has been a decent enough kick to go zero again for a bit.

Last edited: