• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Breath of Fire game?

• Breath of Fire

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Breath of Fire II

Votes: 63 15.6%
  • Breath of Fire III

Votes: 161 40.0%
  • Breath of Fire IV

Votes: 106 26.3%
  • Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Votes: 58 14.4%

• Total voters

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
latest

So Breath of Fire was my first JRPG and it holds a special place in my heart. I know for the most part the series is pretty standard fare but I really love it. I've played all the games but have only beaten the first two, and that was when you could buy them new in store.

Fast forward to now and I am finally the happy owner of every game in the series (well, not 6) and I wanna play them, I mean, I'm gonna play them.

im currently working through the first one. I just got the light and dark keys. I remember some stuff but it's been long enough to make it feel fresh. I ordered the strategy guide off eBay but I can't wait for it to arrive, I wanna keep playing.
Breath-Of-Fire-5-Fortnite-News-and-Guide.jpg

I'm mostly looking forward to 3 and 4 as I've never beat them, and aesthetically, they appeal more to me than Dragon Quarter.

I am playing the original copies of each game on mostly original hardware (Snes games are played on a super nt). I've ordered the official guides for each game as well. I own the gba carts but can't stand the audio and honestly want to play them on a tv (really wish I had a gba consolizer).

I'll also be playing them in order for no other reason than to appreciate the evolution of the series. In the end I'm sure I'll just end up upset that the franchise is dead but this playthrough has been a long time coming.
JNcXtF.jpg

I'll try to update the thread with random thoughts and updates. Feel free to join in.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I still can't remember if I beat 4. I know I beat 3, but might be mixing up memories of 4 with it as well. I need to play 4 and finally beat 5

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide between 3 and 4. I love the spritework and characters in 4, but the adventure and dragon system more in 3.

I'm playing through 1 on GBA now, and man...these random battles are tough to stomach lol. So. Many.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i tried to play 1 on switch but it was rough going.

i have a soft spot for 3 in my memories even though it's a total mess of tedious fetch quests and minigames, and i appreciate that dragon quarter tried to shake things up

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like 10 times worse on the original cart. I'm dying over hear lol

LOL.

Having never played it, I missed an early part in the first town you go to where they OBVIOUSLY want you to grind a bit. Ijust passed it up and was wandering the world map getting destroyed by every little enemy.

Now I've grinded a bit and am at the second dungeon fighting a knight THAT KEEPS HEALING HIMSELF. lmao

old games were on some shit. I'm constantly wondering if I'm playing the game wrong.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
This is what I love to see! Every Breath of Fire is special in its own way. Have fun!

nJyi5Uc.gif

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I still need to figure out if I'm going to play the SNES versions or the patched GBA versions when I do my run sometime this year. I'm so goddamn indecisive and it's keeping me from BoF4!

Oct 25, 2017
IV is definitely my favourite, I just love everything about it, but Dragon Quarter is dopebas hell too, would love to play it again.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've somehow never ever played any of them.

1 and 2 are on Switch Online, right? I need to jump in at some point.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I played 1, 2, 3 and Dragon quarter

Haven't played 4 yet but will in the future

2 is most favorite and 3 is my least favorite - yes I enjoyed DQ more

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
4 is a beautiful game with some real genre defining features, however I have to mark it down because the pacing is just awful, plus the opening is as slow as...

3 is great, but very basic. This feels the most 'fun' of the BoF games to play. Soundtrack is great too, considering most rpgs back in the day went for an orchestral midi sound and this bucked the trend a little.

OP
OP
angelgrievous

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
lmao just making sure.
BTW OP, how does the first game holds up today? I've never played the first two.
honestly it's probably not an easy game to go back to unless you have nostalgia for it or old school rpgs like it. It's obtuse as all hell at times.

LOL.

Having never played it, I missed an early part in the first town you go to where they OBVIOUSLY want you to grind a bit. Ijust passed it up and was wandering the world map getting destroyed by every little enemy.

Now I've grinded a bit and am at the second dungeon fighting a knight THAT KEEPS HEALING HIMSELF. lmao

old games were on some shit. I'm constantly wondering if I'm playing the game wrong.
I hate that knight and yeah, old games suck ass. I just love ass🤷🏻‍♀️

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
3 is the best. It's my fave traditional JRPG ever. Music is top notch, presentation are top notch, and the characters are super likeable.

I'd play 2 with the translation patch, would make it rather more pleasant. No lods.

ShadG

Aug 6, 2019
3 is the first RPG I bought and played through, back when I was a teen. Wonderful memories, and though I see the seams a little more with each playthrough, it only makes me love it more. It recently got a randomizer, too, and I am having a lot of fun with that. And that Yoshino Aoki + Akari Kaida soundtrack...! ♥

Garr, Rei... These two characters are just too wonderful. They tug at my heartstrings every time.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of Fire IV is literally the only game released that entire console generation featuring any amount of 3D graphics that can be referred to as timeless.

wLOMh3U.gif

Ey3TTJB.gif

I've somehow never ever played any of them.

1 and 2 are on Switch Online, right? I need to jump in at some point.

I'd highly recommend looking up the fan retranslation of BoFII, as the SNES version's translation was done in house at Capcom and is particularly bad even for the time (all the religious blasphemy stayed in, though).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its been ages since i played them, i really liked 2, the housing system, fusion, etc is very fun
4 i think it has a more well developed story and graphics.
3 was the only one i couldnt finish i remember i got annoyed in some place after the time skip
i remember enjoying 1 for the permanent dragon transformations
never played 5 because i didnt got interested on it by videos

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
DOG SAMURAI!
THE FOURTH GAME HAS A DOG SAMURAI!
That alone should be enough to at least try the game out.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
2 is my fav
I did not like the beginning and then the ending of the follow ups
And DQ was...something

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
4 > 2 > 3 > 1, though I'd play any of them in an instant.

5 I really need to try at some point.

1 is definitely a 'first go' JRPG feel
2 is a great refinement, albeit with its own flaws. BoFII Nina was my favorite of the series.
3 was a great jump to PSX
4 had the entire second viewpoint that added an air of tragedy, plus the art was gorgeos

I didn't have the same love of 3 as a lot of others.

Oct 26, 2017
3 was the first RPG I ever played and the series will forever have a special place in my heart. Five fantastic games.

EDIT: 1 could really do with a top to bottom remake but 2 onwards are each fantastic in their own right.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
BOF3 is a very, very good RPG that existed during an era that was rich with some of the best RPGs ever made. BOF5 is a completely unique experience that should be experienced by every fan of RPGs. It is also a game that solved the ludonarrative issue that RPGs tend to suffer from so severly a decade before people started talking about ludonarrative dissonance. Honestly, I think 3-5 are all absolute bangers, but I have to give 5 the nod. It is a special game.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I liked III best. The time jump is something you rarely see in games, and the fishing minigame is my all-time favourite one. IV is very good too, the sprite art hasn't been topped by any other game.

I've tried I and II long ago, but the encounter rates were too high to enjoy. II's dialogue was bordering on nonsense, although that should be fixed with the retranslation patch I'm still not convinced it's worth going back to.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Love IV and since it's the only one I've finished it's that one by default. I'd like to play the rest of them someday, especially III.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quarter is what I consider to be one of the best game ever made. The rest has been fine but not amazing.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
In terms of quality, it is DQ > 3 & 4 > 1 > 2

Anyone who praises 2 has forgotten how much senseless backtracking and clunky game mechanics are in that one.

But I really do love the whole series. It has a great variety of fun characters filling the world, fun scenarios, and many memorable moments. And Dragon Quarter really is one of the all-time greats among RPGs.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ugh wish I could play 3 and 4 on my ps4

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
IV and III are about equal for me, followed by II and then a larger gap to I (it was cool back in the day but aged poorly).

Dragon Quarter I really dislike. Had it not been called Breath of Fire I would have probably enjoyed it more. But as a BoF game it's such a let down.