• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I hate it. The shitty seats, the small space, all the noise, the crappy food, the small drinks and the air. Theres not a single positive besides getting to your destination.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get anxiety, but the comfort typically sucks and at times I can't sleep. I had a 7 hour red eye last week and slept maybe an hour.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm extremely scared whenever it takes off, in my mind I think we're heading straight down.

Can someone calm my fears or direct me to a documentary?

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Switch + Podcasts + month of Youtube Premium to have shit saved for offline viewing.

My longest flights were ... Mainland EU->London->Los Angeles->Hawaii, 2:30 + 11:30 + 6:00, so a net of 20 hours on planes with two Layovers in between.

I drop off any sense of anxiety alongside my check-in luggage. Because at that point, nothing (that is within my control) can go wrong anymore. At that point they take your luggage, they check your passport, they check your boarding pass.

Then i put on my air-travel sweatpants and just enjoy the ride.

5 hours sounds like a weird distance - is that even "long distance"; i.e. do you get to fly in a plane with proper in-flight entertainment?

chironex

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it. Occasionally get a bit of anxiety at the start but it passes.

Last flight (SF to AUS, ~16 hours direct) was window with an empty seat next to me, which was nice. Happened to glance over at the lady sitting in the aisle seat and she had her tablet out in super large font reading some x-rated 50 shades or whatever. Whatever it was the five words I caught were graphic as hell lmao.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I love it. I love airports and I love long flights. I fly from Japan to the US and back almost every year. I'm going to New Zealand in a month which will be another long one and I'm really looking forward to it. I usually plan DnD adventures, listen to podcasts or audiobooks, watch movies, or play Switch games.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
No, this is the first time I've heard of a fear of flying 🤔

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I love spending time in airports in Asia. Hate it everywhere else. I don't mind flying long distances anymore either. You get used to it. I sleep for over half the flight time anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I hated the 24 hour flights between Asia and the US when I was living in Asia. 5 hour flights aren't so bad. But yeah I generally don't care for flying.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I've gone from Austin to Tokyo to London to Copenhagen and am about to go back to Austin in 2.5 weeks for work.

Flying isnt so awful. I just bring a book, a switch and download some movies I want to watch.

Turbulence and whatnot is annoying especially if it's bad but it's all perfectly safe.

Dec 2, 2017
No that's me too, I've made at leas two topics on here about it. I know all the reassurances about it being the safest form of travel and shit but I can't help it just the thought of flying gets me going.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I have really bad flight anxiety. I know turbulence is literally just like hitting a patch of bumpy road, but I cannot cannot cannot stand the feeling of weightlessness that occurs when you shift around in the air. I immediately jolt upright and grab whatever is closest to me. I frequently have to apologize to people when traveling alone because I have, on occasion, grabbed their arms. Sometimes, I worry I'm going to snap the little table because I grip so hard. I have been on multiple flights that are so bad that they cancel all drink services because it's too dangerous. The last time I was on one, I happened to look over at the woman next to me who texted someone upon arrival "The guy next to me was a damn mess. He needs some drugs." Lady, I've tried drugs. When I was a teen, my mom gave me ny'quil before a flight, and it was the worst experience of my life. Instead of sleeping through turbulence, I was falling asleep and waking up in panic when the plane shook. I've gotten hammered, and just cried the entire time. This last flight I had an unexpected two day layover in Toronto, so I went out and bought some edibles. That seemed to take a bit of the outward panic and physical manifestation of it out, but inside I was screaming.

Most of the time I just feel like Marge Simpson - "lemmeofflemmeofflemmeofflemmeoff!"

Get real drugs and don't self medicate. Also go to therapy. I know it seems silly but if something is that bad you should talk about it.

For what it's worth the only reason they suspend drink service is so no one hits their head not because the turbulence is dangerous. In fact the US based carriers hit the seat belt sign far more frequently and sit the flight attendants down much quicker than Asian or European based carriers.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think we had a similar thread a while back.

I don't hate flying - I just hate the process of entering the airport through to sitting down in your seat (and from seat to exit on the other side)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
5 hour flights are fine, but 10 hour+ can get really boring. I end up going to the bathroom just to stretch my legs.

Make sure to bring a Nintendo Switch, a book, and download some good shows on Netflix.

I have unlimited beers too.

?

I've flown a lot in my days but I can't say I've ever heard of an unlimited beer option.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5 hour flights are fine, but 10 hour+ can get really boring. I end up going to the bathroom just to stretch my legs.

Make sure to bring a Nintendo Switch, a book, and download some good shows on Netflix.

?

I've flown a lot in my days but I can't say I've ever heard of an unlimited beer option.

Any non budget airline flying internationally will give you all you can drink soda, beer, wine, spirits, even a few cocktails

Oct 28, 2017
It's dependent on airline, aircraft, weather and who I get sat next to. A quiet flight with little turbulence and sat next to a quiet or friendly person, flying is fine. The opposite, and it's a hellish experience.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I think you get used to it. With some preparations you won't really care anymore.

15 years ago I left my hometown to go study 5 hours away by train, got used to roundtrips home every several weeks by reading, watching shit, playing games.
Left for Tokyo 7 years ago and I don't really notice the difference between those 5 hours train rides and my current 11 hours flights (which are more like 15 to 20 considering I usually have at least one layover).

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What'd people do 10 or 20 years ago

I had a gba or ds lite, also in seat entertainment has been around for a long time now. It used to be various movies on a loop which sucked If you fell asleep and wanted to continue from where you left off, but it was still better than before when everyone had to watch the same movie on a tv at the front or every few rows.

Also in flight magazine, books, etc

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I live in England, furthest i've ever seen is New York. This October i'm flying to SF (11 hours).. not sure what i'm do to wait out the 11 hours.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Worse for me is flying with the family. My son can't sleep on long haul and sometimes gets travel sick.

Other than that I can zombie out well enough even for 10-11 hour flights. And in flight entertainment is much better these days. Even when I spend way too long downloading a ton of Netflix/amazon stuff I mostly dot watch it because there are enough movies on the flight and the screens are big enough

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like flying (or long distance traveling) at all, and will avoid until obligatory. I've skipped a couple of invites because of that (Disney, remote beaches, etc).

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
Business class and first class all the way. I look forward to flight where I an eat caviar and sip Krug.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I looked it up and that's not true at all, however many do offer free alcohol. Hard to tell how many actually serve you "unlimited" drinks though.

I've never been told no when asked for a drink, or multiple. Of course they can cut you off if you are drunk. Usually on long haul flights I have a couple glasses of wine or cognac when I get on, knocks me out for a good long while. If I can't sleep I'll get another couple of glasses. Never once been told no on any non budget airline on hundreds of flights.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost lost my mind a couple months ago on a 6 hour flight. I can't stand flying at all.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It can get dull if it's very cloudy or nighttime, but if the weather is nice and I have a window seat I can literally stare out at the view for hours, just fascinated that I'm actually up in the sky. It's not as if I've only flown a couple of times, either, but somehow the magic never goes away.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Flights are fine .

I don't like taking them if I can help it on principle, because wasted carbon in to the atmosphere, but the actual act of getting on a plane is an excuse to play my 3ds/switch for hours, or watch films if that's an option, in the middle of a workday.
Just get a proper pair of over the ear headphones and not the shitty excuse that is earbuds and you can't even hear other people.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm usually terrified due to a very serious turbulence I went through while flying above the Atlantic, travelling to Italy from Brazil 12 years or so ago (in fact, at the same location, same flight and same plane that a year later crashed into the ocean killing all passengers and crew), but I've been improving these last 12 months since I need to travel at least twice a month now. Funny though, there are a few things that I've been noticing about me and my flying drama behavior:

- Flying during the day is substantially better than when it's dark. It makes me way more anxious flying when the sun is down.
- The worst part for me is the take off. Strangely enough, my anxiety almost immediately fades away when the plane points down to initiate the landing procedure, even if we're still at cruising altitude.
- I feel way better when I can see cars and make out some signs. I know I'm still high above as fuck but it's a little relaxing.
- I feel much better when I get or book a window seat. Looking outside during mild turbulence and realizing things are way less critical than they seem is also a relief. Bathroom visits suck though.
- While flying, I can't play racing or plane games for some weird reason, makes me nervous.
- The waiting for take off authorization sometimes is long enough to make me way more anxious than the worst parts of the flight itself.
- My stomach gets *really* upset almost every time I'm flying. Nothing critical, don't need to go to the bathroom or fart every 5 minutes (that would be gross by the way). I can manage it, but it always happens. As soon as we land, it magically goes away.

Strangely enough, I do enjoy it, when all the criteria above is met and there's no turbulence. But it is usually such a painful process, I'm completely drained out tired when arriving at my destination.

Last edited:

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I'm 30 minutes into a 12 hr flight to LA from NZ (another E3 to notch up).

Can't say I love flying but I have zero problem with it. I calculated my biggest year of travel I spent over 200 hours in the air (you rack it up quick when you live in NZ). And that's all flying economy, where I can happily sleep 8-9 hours of a 12 hour flight.

My biggest issue with air travel is US immigration, which is particularly inefficient and time consuming compared to almost every other country (LAX being one of the worst airports for that).

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 30 minutes into a 12 hr flight to LA from NZ (another E3 to notch up).

Can't say I love flying but I have zero problem with it. I calculated my biggest year of travel I spent over 200 hours in the air (you rack it up quick when you live in NZ). And that's all flying economy, where I can happily sleep 8-9 hours of a 12 hour flight.

My biggest issue with air travel is US immigration, which is particularly inefficient and time consuming compared to almost every other country (LAX being one of the worst airports for that).

Try flying to Malaysia, Nepal, Myanmar, etc. I've never entered into the USA as a foreigner so I guess I can't directly compare, but at least we have some automated processes there that even foreigners can access right?

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Had a 12 hour flight once. Miserable, these parents fell asleep and let their kids run rampant all over the plane.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
The longest one I've done was 15 hours + 3 to transfer + 8 more hours, a 5 hour flight is a really short one if you live in Australia.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Try flying to Malaysia, Nepal, Myanmar, etc. I've never entered into the USA as a foreigner so I guess I can't directly compare, but at least we have some automated processes there that even foreigners can access right?

I've been to 24 different countries including Malaysia. US immigration is consistently the worst.

And the "automated systems" in the US have made things slower, not more efficient. All they have done is added an extra step and increased wait times. So much room for improvement.

Traveling to the US even makes it worse on the NZ side when leaving. There is an additional passport check, interview, and potential security screening on top of the standard security screening and passport control. No other country destination requires that.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. No in flight entertainment options? Then hate it. Otherwise, it's a great way to catch up on movies and tv. I can't listen to podcasts for 5+ hours. Reading works too.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been to 24 different countries including Malaysia. US immigration is consistently the worst.

And the "automated systems" in the US have made things slower, not more efficient. All they have done is added an extra step and increased wait times. So much room for improvement.

Traveling to the US even makes it worse on the NZ side when leaving. There is an additional passport check, interview, and potential security screening on top of the standard security screening and passport control. No other country destination requires that.

From New Zealand to USA do they check for water bottles and other liquids at the gate ? That kills me, flying to USA can't even bring liquids you've bought after you've gone through security.

Every time I've flown to Malaysia I stand in line for ages, especially while departing. Entering is bad but leaving is horrible. And that's visa free travel. It's mental.

The worst thing I find about entering the USA as an American is sometimes they'll wanna interrogate me like I'm some kind of criminal. I guess it's their job but ehh... probably 3/4 of the time they don't ask me anything and just say "welcome home" and the other 1/4 they wanna find out every fucking detail about my life.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't suffer from anxiety or anything but I'm 6'3 and it's very uncomfortable. I always try to buy the extra leg room option to help a little.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
From New Zealand to USA do they check for water bottles and other liquids at the gate ? That kills me, flying to USA can't even bring liquids you've bought after you've gone through security.

In the 8 or so years following 9/11 they were more rigorous and checked for a lot more at the US destination gates, including one time they made me boot my laptop, log in, and then scanned the icons and files on my desktop (were they expecting "evilplans.doc" to be sitting there?).

It got a lot better for many years, but they've ramped it back up in the last year again, presumably at the request of the Trump administration. You can take liquids you've acquired after the initial security check on the plane though.