• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which FF Should I Start With?

• Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 238 47.9%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 108 21.7%
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2

Votes: 89 17.9%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 62 12.5%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
FF VII, and use the fast forward cheat, random battles can take a lot of time

Jul 4, 2018
X is my favourite but VII makes the most sense, also the first FF I played when I was 6-7 years old. Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
When someone wants to try FF or even RPGs in general, I usually recommend FFX. The story, world and characters are top tier, the strictly turn based battle system is arguably the best the genre has to offer, and the Blitzball minigame is awesome.

FFVII was my (any many others) first RPG and I love it to bits, but FFX has aged much better visually.

If you don't mind old school graphics, both are good choices, but if you prefer something more modern I'd recommend going with X.

FFXII is also a fantastic game, but pretty different from other FF. I absolutely recommended but not necessarily to someone looking for an entry point to the saga.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It frankly doesn't matter much. FFVII, IX and X are all great starting points to the series. All of them will give you a solid understanding about what the series is all about. X is the prettiest, VII the most popular, IX the best. :p

I wouldn't recommend XII to a newcomer, but not because of its quality, but simply because it plays too differently from the other FFs.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
9 first in my opinion, because it has the classic original Final Fantasy feel, 7 after it and you will notice the big change to steampunk setting, which is also absolutely amazing, after 7 play 10 and you will experience one of the best combat and stories in any rpg.

Just don't listen anyone who says that any of these games are not good, they are all amazing for different reasons.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
9, 7, 12, 10 or 7, 9, 10, 12 (order of release is always good to see how things change).
9 first is my most recommended choice out of the 2 though. And i think switching 10 and 12 is a good idea.

But it might also be just good to go random. Just pick one, finish it and go for another.

I see people say 7 is "darker" than 9 but i didn't see that. I actually think it might arguably be the opposite.

Last edited:

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
XII is very good but also very different so I'd recommend VII or IX first; VII is an incredibly iconic game but I like IX more so I selected that for the vote. Not a big fan of X tbh but it isn't a bad game by any means.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think X would probably be the easiest to get into for a new player. Graphics still look decent today, the turn-based combat is solid but not too hard, and the game has excellent world building & a unique plot.

FFX-2 is a direct sequel to X. Feels kind of like a precursor to FF13.
FF7 is ambitious and weird and old. Definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the series, but not necessarily a great start in this day and age.
FF9 has a great classic fantasy vibe but the combat is rather slow-paced. If FFX doesn't interest you, I'd go with FF9.
FF12's "Program your own MMORPG characters" combat is very much love or hate.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Final Fantasy VII was my very first FF game ever and it made me fall in love with the series. However, had IX been my first, I wouldn't have been disappointed. VII was the original modernization of the series, but IX felt like a throwback in some ways to the NES/SNES games. Maybe it's the art direction? I don't know.

TL;DR: You can't go wrong with VII or IX, but I feel like VII is the more iconic of the two.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Most people will say VII. As someone from that time period, the ugly truth is that the PS1 games play like ass. If you don't mind old jank, (and I mean old 3d jank, like OoT, not Chrono Trigger) might as well start there. If you do mind, X is probably the best put together of the bunch. XII is too unlike the rest of the series to start there, but definitely pick it up along the way.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just play them in order. Ignore all the people saying IX is the best so play it first. Even if that's true, I'd still just play them in order.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's just general backlash because 10 is often considered the best. The biggest reason they might not like it is that Tidus (Male lead) isn't really macho or brooding and it's one of the best realised Romances in gaming history. That puts some people off

You live in alternative reality if you think X is considered the best more often than VIII, IX or XII. Tidus is also not really unique in this aspect and it wasn't the first in the series to focus on romance.

If anything, VI and VII are considered the best by most.

There's a lot to not like in FFX. Pacing is pretty bad, when most of the game are corridors with a high rate of random battles, there's the worst minigames in videogame story and gameplay is pretty much tutorial mode until the last 3 or 4 areas. There's a lot to like as well, but you probably know that.

Storywise it's pretty mixed. I personally like it but it's not uncommon to see people hating it for a lot of fair reasons.

I agree that Tidus is a good character, and people mostly make fun of him because of memes and his extremely annoying voice. And some shitty cutscenes. And him being really stupid 80% of the time haha

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
VII is the one that plays the closest to traditional FF, but the graphics are incredibly dated. It's very much an early 3D game like Super Mario 64 and Tomb Raider, but if you can get past that you will find an engrossing plot with a lot of lovable characters.
IX is the closest after VII, and the storyline is reminiscent of old-school FF. On the other hand, it's a game whose pacing is all out of wack, and I think the plot doesn't deliver in the same way VII did. The game is also slow, but the fast forward feature of the Switch re-release is a godsend here.
X and X-2 are their own beasts. They are good games in their own right, both they are also very linear in terms of progression. The Job System in X-2 is freaking great, but I think the rest of the game is very J-Popish in terms of aesthetic and tone. Meanwhile, X is more somber and and a little bit more involved.
XII is nothing like other FFs. It's very much a MMORPG, but offline, with much of the side-quests being modeled after monster raids in other games. It's the most freeform Final Fantasy ever in terms of where you can go and explore at your own pace, but getting used to the AI system for your party (entire game revolves around creating macros) requires a bit of an acquired taste. I suggest you go for this one last.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
You live in alternative reality if you think X is considered the best more often than VIII, IX or XII. Tidus is also not really unique in this aspect and it wasn't the first in the series to focus on romance.

If anything, VI and VII are considered the best by most.

There's a lot to not like in FFX. Pacing is pretty bad, when most of the game are corridors with a high rate of random battles, there's the worst minigames in videogame story and gameplay is pretty much tutorial mode until the last 3 or 4 areas. There's a lot to like as well, but you probably know that.

Storywise it's pretty mixed. I personally like it but it's not uncommon to see people hating it for a lot of fair reasons.

I agree that Tidus is a good character, and people mostly make fun of him because of memes and his extremely annoying voice. And some shitty cutscenes. And him being really stupid 80% of the time haha

Recently 12 and 9 have risen in popularity/esteem but X both for better and worse is considered the benchmark that defines what a modern Final Fantasy game is. I got into the series relatively recently and did a lot of research before starting.

I will agree with you that 6 and 7 are universally considered the best, However 6 isn't on Switch and i think 7 has aged badly and its worth waiting for the remake. Its a game of its time both visually and naratively which can hamper how one will enjoy it.

9 is great if you love traditional fantasy and 12 is... Lets just say that i personally can't stand 12 (despite its great voice acting) and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd go with VII first both because it's my favorite of those & honestly it's aged the worst graphically so play it before the prettier ones :P

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
I'd go with nine. Seven is trash don't buy into the hype. X/X-2 might even be the best option simply because you're getting two great games in one.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
The most popular is of course VII, but I highly recommend IX because it is the most traditional Final Fantasy experience

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9 was my first Final Fantasy game. It was the perfect entry point to the series. Jumping into 10 right after blew my young mind. After that, I played 7 & 8.

I've never beaten any of them please don't kill me

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
7 is ugly as fuck but is the best entry point I think. Good story and accessible mechanics.

9 is super funny and charming but mechanically quite dull and simple. That might be a plus though if you're new to the genre. It was one of my first jrpgs and it really eased me into the genre.

I would say that 12 is the best on that list but it is quite complex and unfriendly. Maybe wait a bit.

Just keep in mind that all these games are quite different from each other. So if you don't like one, that doesn't mean that you should dismiss the others.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I think X would probably be the easiest to get into for a new player. Graphics still look decent today, the turn-based combat is solid but not too hard, and the game has excellent world building & a unique plot.

FFX-2 is a direct sequel to X. Feels kind of like a precursor to FF13.
FF7 is ambitious and weird and old. Definitely worth checking out if you're interested in the series, but not necessarily a great start in this day and age.
FF9 has a great classic fantasy vibe but the combat is rather slow-paced. If FFX doesn't interest you, I'd go with FF9.
FF12's "Program your own MMORPG characters" combat is very much love or hate.

This is the right answer.

You're looking at the only games in the series since 6 to be worth playing really. All of them have their ups and downs, but X and X-2 are most likely to reel you in; IX is great but could be better refined by Square as far as updates go (better use of Fast Forward, fix the stupid music bug, etc.) and I think the storytelling is lopsided like crazy; it feels like the end of that game just collapses on itself in an hour or two.

The only thing I would add is that X has a BOATLOAD of extra content. It's extremely easy to be pulled into side quests and find yourself completely divorced from the main plot 30 hours later. For some, that's a positive feature. For others, like me, it feels like unnecessary bloat. The game itself, and Square's attempt to break from typical western fantasy tropes, is rock solid and despite some of the annoying characters and art decisions, the overlook of the game has held up.

Of the bunch, XII is my favorite thanks to the Zodiac update: the job system, the improved graphics, the Fast Forward feature, the programmable take on combat (maybe the best in the series, not quite MMO but I get what people mean), and one of its main characters make it a gem in my book. But yeah, it's definitely not representative of the rest of the series.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
FF9 is my favourite, but start with 7 and then get 9 after beating 7. By the time you beat 9, FF12 should be out so get that next.

I would personally skip 10, not a big fan of that game and it's one of my least favourite.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While i prefer ff7 i would still advice ff9 to begin. It's a testament game intended to provide the best "ff-like" experience. FF7 cyberpunk world is unusual to the series.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Simple answer.
Play 7.

Look past the graphics (obviously), the translation is a bit iffy and the music bug is annoying but thematically it's the most important in the series in terms of story and narrative. However, and a big however, the issues presented such as terrorism, mental issues, self-identity etc are a bit dated considering it's a 1997 release. So, go in with an open mind and allow a bit of flexibility on how these themes are portrayed and you'll have a blast.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
FF9 is my favorite and 7 is a classic for a reason, but I would actually go for 10 as first game it's design and visuals wise somewhere in between the more classic PS1 era titles, and the more modern games from FF12 onward, so it's a good jumping point for either side of the series. It's kind of a turning point, in a way.

12 is good, but I wouldn't recommed it as first game.

Still, can't go too wrong with choosing 7 or 9 as well.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
9 is meant to be an homage to the classic games after 7 and 8 went too far in one direction.

9 makes perfect sense as a starting point.
That's exactly why I think it's a terrible starting point =P You're missing out on too much of what made it special.

Best starting FF games, imo, are 5, 6, 7, and 10, in no particular order.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
7 if you can stomach the graphics and want the best balance of story, gameplay, music and the most likeable party.

9 if you want the best in prerendered backgrounds, nice visuals, good music, an interesting but somewhat convoluted story with more anime tropes than 7, and slow gameplay with very specialized characters and a lot of subquests and minigames.

10 if you want a more modern presentation but be aware that you'll get an annoying party, out-of-control character design, pretty static gameplay (but probably less static than 9 all considered) and an obscene amount of optional content that will definitely require a guide.

I'd definitely pick 7 but I understand the presentation is very dated today.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Was a little torn between VII and IX here. Ended up voting for IX because it was, at the time, a throwback to the classic NES/SNES games, making it stylistically a pretty good entry point in the series. It came with the modern luxuries of JRPGs of the day, but felt closer to the earlier games made under Sakaguchi.

VII and XII are excellent games though and you should definitely get them as well. XII was a bit of an acquired taste for me, but I appreciate it more every time I revisit it and it's now firmly one of my favorites. I like VII and XII both more than IX.

And honestly I can't even play X these days because it's aged so poorly. It's the only one I'm not buying on Switch.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
any one of them. they all are their own games and critically acclaimed. pick whichever looks cooler to you

FF7: THE Final Fantasy for many people
FF9: the last of the medieval style
FF10: like Final Fantasy 13, but actually good

Agree ^ I just finished FF9 for the first time and it is a really, really beautiful game. I highly recommend it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Anyone who tells you to play VII hasn't played IX or is still blinded by their nostalgia goggles. Play IX. XII is also great. Way better than X or X-2 and VII.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't get 1, get 4. If not 4, then 6. If not 6 you can't start at 7 like a lot of millennials did.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
X is the most newcomer friendly. It's also the best value wise, as X-2 is a fun, charming game in its own right with a top class battle system and soundtrack. It got a bad rap for not being overly concerned with self-seriousness and bullshit machismo but is all the better for it. It's still a fairly unusual game within the FF series and worth checking out just for that fact. Lots of people are saying VII, which is also a good choice, but I find it hard to recommend a story heavy game where I dislike all but 2 characters tbh. Maybe you'd get more out of it than I did.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
X and XIII are nothing alike. Ignore that.

Get VII. For a lot of folks, it's what started Final Fantasy's popularity. It's simple enough to understand and play, the story isn't hard to follow, and Cloud is an icon. I personally like IX and XII more, and X is special for me because it was my first Final Fantasy, but play VII first.

Isn't XII kind of medieval?

Well yes....but no. I'm not sure how I'd explain it though. The opening cutscene battle looks like Lord of the Rings on the ground and Star Wars in the air, one of the main characters wields a firearm, there are legitimate aircraft (and not just boats with propellers), you fight anything from dinosaurs to knights in armor that fly vehicles...there's even a scene shortly into the game featuring a hovering bike thingy. So I'm not sure what I'd call it lol

It's just general backlash because 10 is often considered the best. The biggest reason they might not like it is that Tidus (Male lead) isn't really macho or brooding and it's one of the best realised Romances in gaming history. That puts some people off

I'm what circles is X considered the best? That's great if you feel that way, but by far the most common answers I have seen over the years have been VI, VII, and IX, with an occasional IV or VIII thrown in

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Reading through these comments and I, in the same situation as OP, becomes more confused... split audience on where to start ;P

I might just pick up 7 because nothing seems right or wrong hah

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Obviously you have to start with the best JRPG ever created (this is not hyperbole, this is simply a fact)

0ovpFWq.gif

aopHUjU.gif

vd789Hq.gif

ayHazhp.gif

40biOoB.gif

QFx07ED.gif

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through these comments and I, in the same situation as OP, becomes more confused... split audience on where to start ;P

I might just pick up 7 because nothing seems right or wrong hah

Everyone has different favorites when it comes to Final Fantasy, and different preferences for their individual mechanics and quirks. All of the ones becoming available on Switch are excellent games and perfect starting points.

It'll be best for you and the OP to decide for yourselves, knowing that, by looking at them and seeing what grabs you. If you're an MMO player or a Dragon Age fan, maybe you'd enjoy FFXII's unique combat system, and want to ease in with that. If you want a game with more modern graphics, X or XII. If you want to start chronologically or prefer pseudo-modern steampunk, VII. If you want something that was intended to celebrate the series as a whole, IX.

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Vii is definitely the place to start. The music bug is unfortunate, but won't significantly alter the game. It's just the most classic, time tested ff for newbies I think.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
IMO FF7 has aged the worst by far. It's very hard to get into it as your first FF game in 2019 and I wouldn't blame most people for bouncing off of it.

Even at the time some of the FF7 models were a joke and playing it now I can't imagine most people would be ok with the overworld FF7 Cloud during some of the more emotional scenes. The story is confusing partially because the translation is terrible, and the graphics at this point really do get in the way of enjoying the story.

I see that FF7 is winning the poll and I wonder how many of those people played it for the first time during this generation

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Play them in order.

VII
IX
X

lol Weird that Squaresoft skipped the number 8, but hey!

I'm not so big a proponent of IX as many in Era. As creative as the game is it never quite clicked with me, and the slow as molasses implementation of ATB in this game in particular is a big knock against it.

VII and X for sure though. I just replayed the HD version of X on PC last year and the game might actually be better than I remembered. The world's so different from allot we see in fantasy settings but it's fantastically realized - Life on Spira is palpable. Par for the course the music is great, the game systems and battle are snappy and flexible and offer you a good amount of freedom and challenge. The game's got some awkward design decisions from the early 2000s but it's really held up great on the whole.

Also throwing in a recommendation for XII whenever it comes out. Vanilla XII might be my favorite game in the series for inventing a brilliant, new combat system that nobody ever used again after it :(

faced

Dec 17, 2017
Oh also you'd think as an RPG maybe FF7 has like, a deep complex battle system that you can get lost in? Nah here's a bunch of materia that functionally all does the exact same thing

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I would start with FF7 just because that's the big well-known game in the series - it's not the best, but for many many people, it was the first one they played, so gets a lot more hype. Playing that one first will allow your brain to sync up with the masses, and prepare yourself for the remake. Personally I liked 10 better for its story, and 9 better for its whimsy and fun and music.