• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I did me entire third year in spanish, totally my entire year was in spanish, but i'm feeling like i'm slipping. any tips to keep it up?

good movies or music?

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Fall asleep listening to Spanish podcasts. You'll subconsciously retain everything.

My favs to listen to are Brown Mafia, and Pinche White Devils.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
I recently started Spanish on Duolingo and I'm pretty confident in my ability to say "the boy/girl is eating apples", nothing else but that should come in handy at some point.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Podcasts in Spanish, go to places with a Spanish speaking community. If you have the free time, even like getting a part time job in a Spanish-speaking community would help retain the knowledge.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Podcasts in Spanish, go to places with a Spanish speaking community. If you have the free time, even like getting a part time job in a Spanish-speaking community would help retain the knowledge.
my biggest thing is i get mexican and latin american spanish but the caribbean spanish is tough for me

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my biggest thing is i get mexican and latin american spanish but the caribbean spanish is tough for me
If you can understand the others well enough, you won't really have an issue in the real world talking with us Caribbean Spanish speakers so I wouldn't worry about it. Also if it makes you feel better, Caribbean Spanish speakers fucking love hearing white people learn and speak Spanish(at least, in my life long experience).

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can understand the others well enough, you won't really have an issue in the real world talking with us Caribbean Spanish speakers so I wouldn't worry about it. Also if it makes you feel better, Caribbean Spanish speakers fucking love hearing white people learn and speak Spanish(at least, in my life long experience).
it's funny when people are like "you understand spanish, understand this reggieton song"

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I'm in a similar situation. I just try to use it as much as I possibly can, which is admittedly quite difficult living in rural England now. I've started making an effort to even just think in Spanish as well, just to keep up some form of language production, since I haven't really got anyone to have a conversation with where I am.

But yeah, just echoing everything above. Immerse yourself as much as you can in the language and it'll help a lot. Read what you can, listen to what you can, watch what you can and talk to whoever you can.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Most of the recommendations don't tackle the problem of losing speaking fluency. I guess to prevent that you need a friend to talk to in the language, or a conversation group of some kind.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
Watch Novelas. My Nana made us watch when I was little and its the only way I learned Spanish.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Sueles pensar en español? Cuando era pequeño en la escuela es probablemente el mejor consejo que me dio mi profesora de inglés para acostumbrarme al idioma. Quizá te ayude a mantener al menos en cierto sentido lo aprendido en español.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've been using Duolingo and the thing I like about it is that it will "break" the medal you get for a fully cleared lesson. The only way to "unbreak" it is is to practice that lesson to refresh yourself. I would suggest using that as it does a good job of gamifying the process and also refreshing older lessons.

Oct 29, 2017
People are saying tv shows, but I would try an audiobook. While books originally written in Spanish may be ideal, it doesn't even have to be.

I listened to The Way of Kings in Spanish during the lockdown last year and had a great time with it; the narrators were fantastic. Interesting way to revisit books you love from any origin, or discover new ones from Hispanic authors.

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are saying tv shows, but I would try an audiobook. While books originally written in Spanish may be ideal, it doesn't even have to be.

I listened to The Way of Kings in Spanish during the lockdown last year and had a great time with it; the narrators were fantastic. Interesting way to revisit books you love from any origin, or discover new ones from Hispanic authors.
i have Don Quixote and been meaning to read it

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Escucha podcasts en español y pon todas tus películas, series y tal en español también.
Yo cuando era pequeño estuve jugando a casi todos los videojuegos en inglés y así es como me acostumbré al idioma. Puede que eso también te ayude!

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Escucha podcasts en español y pon todas tus películas, series y tal en español también.
Yo cuando era pequeño estuve jugando a casi todos los videojuegos en inglés y así es como me acostumbré al idioma. Puede que eso también te ayude{
jugar videojuegos en español es un "tip(don't know the translation$" muy bien

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I've been trying to learn Spanish as well and it's been tough. I've been practicing seriously for the past three months and so far all I know is how to tell time/dates, and certain greetings... :(

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Escucha musica y ve películas en español.

Podrias escuchar a José José, Café Tacuba, Caifanes y Soda Estereo.

De películas puedes ver Amores Perros, el Conejo en la Luna , Y tu mamá También y biutiful.

Puedes practicar conmigo si quieres 👍

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How badly do you want to keep at it? Spanish is my first language and I find that the only reason my English is understandable is due to purpose. If I didn't have to speak English, I'd forget it. Same applies to any language you feel you don't need in your everyday life.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Lea libros en español tío. Hable con otras personas en español. Escuche podcasts. Si mal no recuerdo hay un hilo en ERA para los hispanohablantes donde usted también puede participar.

www.resetera.com

ERA Latino Community |OT| *Cries in Spanish*

WELCOME TO THE ERA LATINO COMMUNITY OT In this thread we Latinos across the globe unite to talk about our multiple culture, woes, challenges y practicar un poco de Español. Si, Walter Mercado sigue con vida. ADD YOURSELF TO OUR GAMERTAG LIST! Quote to unhide Hidden content Looking for all...

También escuchar música, ver películas o series o incluso jugar videojuegos en español pueden ayudarle.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's all about cultural immersion, as people have said. How can you hold onto a language you rarely hear, after all? So create situations where you're regularly hearing it.
I recommend foreign language music in regular rotation. Also, what little Spanish I personally remember (keeping in mind I was taught Castilian Spanish as a lunch elective in my last year of elementary school) is mostly from watching series on Netflix produced in Spain and Latin America with subtitles on.