• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First game that made me have an emotional reaction was Earthbound.

But the sequel is 10x more depressing. I actually cried a bit during the final boss/ ending.

Undertale would close the top 3, but it is a bit different.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Last game that really pulled my heartstrings was Red Dead 2.

www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Soundtrack - See The Fire In Your Eyes | HD (With Visualizer)

Soundtrack Playlist Here: https://goo.gl/FSb7Ca#rdr2 #soundtrack #rockstargames

www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Soundtrack - That's The Way It Is | HD (With Visualizer)

Soundtrack Playlist Here: https://goo.gl/FSb7CaCredits: The Killa https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4K1xbvcFBCUmgLemeAcxxAArtist: Daniel Lanois#rdr2 #soundtr...

Especially these 2 songs, listening to them can still make me choke up. I mean c'mon!

Oct 29, 2017
These are the only games that have brought me close to actually crying:
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky
Mother 3
Clannad
To the Moon

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Clannad

It's an emotional rollercoaster.

Fuck me just typing the words "clannad" is making me teary eyed.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2, by far. That's my top candidate.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Last game that really pulled my heartstrings was Red Dead 2.

www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Soundtrack - See The Fire In Your Eyes | HD (With Visualizer)

Soundtrack Playlist Here: https://goo.gl/FSb7Ca#rdr2 #soundtrack #rockstargames

www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Soundtrack - That's The Way It Is | HD (With Visualizer)

Soundtrack Playlist Here: https://goo.gl/FSb7CaCredits: The Killa https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4K1xbvcFBCUmgLemeAcxxAArtist: Daniel Lanois#rdr2 #soundtr...

Especially these 2 songs, listening to them can still make me choke up. I mean c'mon!

When the hell is the soundtrack being released? It's been so long.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Took way too long for someone to say this. That cut to credits at the end of Blood & Wine unexpectedly hit me hard

Same.

Spoilers for major game moments:

I'm a hardcore witcher fan so seeing Geralts journey come to an end was hard. Also finding Ciri at the isle of mist and Vesemirs death were some hard points.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Yakuza 0.
I cried TWICE!
Second this.

Also, both Final Fantasy X and XV have very well done endings, especially XV made cry a lot. Suffice to say that both have their share of problems in the writing department, but if you can get into the story and their characters, the payoff is pretty powerful.

I'll add Shadow Hearts to the list too.

And maybe a weird choice, but Fatal Frame 3 has a ending that really got me too, though if you're playing that, might as well play one and 2, they are all emotional in their own rights, but 3 is the strongest, imo

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian, anyone with a heart would tear up there. :(

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure it's a tearjerker, but Tacoma had a really great plot with exceptional voice acting and it's pretty tense to wait to find out what happened right up until the final few minutes of the game. Although it actually has an upbeat ending so that may disqualify it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons made me cry when I played it AND when I watched my roommate play it a few years later. It's a good one.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Haha, I need to update it! 😅

I'd love to know what you pick and read your thoughts on the games having played many of them myself. If you're curious about any of them it might be good to ask questions. Sometimes I feel like playing such a game but the difference between To The Moon, a relatively simple 10 hour or so story driven game and say The Last Guardian are very different.

Mindestens

Nov 20, 2017
I'd suggest trying out The Walking Dead season one, I remember it was an emotional rollercoaster for lots of people back when it came out and concluded with 5th episode.

This War of Mine is a rather depressing thing, same as Papers, Please but they're not that story-heavy, it would require you to do some emotional lifting I'd say by connecting grim realities of gameplay with overall theme and story.

If you're into point&clicks, Primordia has an atmosphere of loss and decay, Blackwell games at times are emotionally involving too at times.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
ICO is pretty powerful, especially for a game without much real dialogue.

Grim Fandango was emotional as well. But more so because the characters will grow on you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Let me toss in another vote for Nier: Automata. This game gives you several different reasons to cry, not all of them depressing. It's a wonderful, unforgettable experience.

Just know the game is about 1/3 over when you reach Ending A.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I would also suggest Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's a game about the end of the world set in a quiet little English countryside village in the 1980s, but really it follows the story of five characters and how they deal with the events. It's a very minimalist game which has an overarching plot about the world ending, but it's mostly about the character moments within.

Have you decided on anything yet, Fridaynightcatlady?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy a good cry once in a while. I usually look up anime that'll fit this description, but I was wondering if there are any game suggestions that'll do just that.

Edit

Suggested games:
  • Mother 3
  • The Last of Us
  • Undertale and Deltarune
  • Ace Attorney Trilogy
  • 999/VLR
  • Nier
  • Nier Automata
  • Mother 2
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
  • To the Moon
  • Final Fantasy type-0
  • Rime
  • Life is Strange
  • Brothers: A tale of two sons
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Journey
  • The Last Guardian
  • Lisa the Painful/Joyful
  • Night in the Wood
  • Celeste
  • The Missing JJ Macfield
  • Xenoblade 1/2
  • Evil Within 2
  • Gone Home
  • Persona 3 and Persona 4
  • Klonoa
  • Rakuen
The last guardian

OP
OP
Fridaynightcatlady
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I would also suggest Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's a game about the end of the world set in a quiet little English countryside village in the 1980s, but really it follows the story of five characters and how they deal with the events. It's a very minimalist game which has an overarching plot about the world ending, but it's mostly about the character moments within.

Have you decided on anything yet, Fridaynightcatlady?

I think I'll start with To The Moon :) I definitely want to try all of the suggestions here (including Everyone's Gone to the Rapture)! Thank you so much!

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
To the Moon and its less known sequel which I loved too 'Finding Paradise'.
Nier & Nier Automata.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not normally into games with emotional storylines but there were a couple of moments in Celeste that really stunned me in terms its poignancy, to the point that I had to pause and let it sink in.

Spoiler:

the feather sequence blew me away

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Has anyone mentioned Planescape Torment yet?

I'm playing through it right now and have not cried yet but there have a lot of moments that really hit me, especially regarding Nameless One's past lives.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy a good cry once in a while. I usually look up anime that'll fit this description, but I was wondering if there are any game suggestions that'll do just that.

Edit

Suggested games:
  • Mother 3
  • The Last of Us
  • Undertale and Deltarune
  • Ace Attorney Trilogy
  • 999/VLR
  • Nier
  • Nier Automata
  • Mother 2
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
  • To the Moon
  • Final Fantasy type-0
  • Rime
  • Life is Strange
  • Brothers: A tale of two sons
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Journey
  • The Last Guardian
  • Lisa the Painful/Joyful
  • Night in the Wood
  • Celeste
  • The Missing JJ Macfield
  • Xenoblade 1/2
  • Evil Within 2
  • Gone Home
  • Persona 3 and Persona 4
  • Klonoa
  • Rakuen
The fact that Mother 3 tops your list is no mistake. If you start there, you won't be disappointed.
You really couldn't go wrong with any of those games though
Not even Mass Effect 3

I'll add another to your list, though, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here:

Drawn to Life, a Nintendo DS game that was ported to iOS.