• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
So I had a come to Jesus moment the other night when I got so shitfaced I fell and hit my head. Woke up and saw blood on my pillow and had scabs on my head. Hurt like hell, didn't remember it happening at all. I still don't know where or when it happened.

Anyways, after being cleared of major head trauma at the ER. I called up this fancy private recovery center.

Haven't committed to anything yet, but everyone has been so nice and they were even like "if you can't pay your bill we will never send you to collections."

Met a young kid with drug addiction and he's just beaming about being about to graduate next week and how awesome this place is. Feels almost like a sales plant, but I'm enjoying the positivity.

No real point to this thread, I suppose,just wanted to share while I wait for group therapy to begin (they offered to let me sit in for a bit to see how it works).

If anyone else is or has been in recovery, I would like to hear any experiences you have to share about the process.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You are already past the biggest hurdle and that's seeking help on your own. This is great you got this.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I've been for the last four to five years. Although it's become more difficult to stay in a program while having my job. Thankfully I'm in a much better place nowadays, but I try to be careful to not let my guard down.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Landing a a well run private facility can be a a real lifesaver. Getting clean, getting perspective, invaluable. Great pivot point to change things.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Johnny_5.jpg

Johnny 5 would be proud

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Congratz OP! I had a cocaine addiction when I was 18, and my parents sent me out of the country to keep me away from bad company (my toxic ex who got me in the shit). Gonna be clean for 17 years on the 23rd of this month.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
First step is wanting to be helped and you are already there.

OP
OP
UltraMav

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words. It was a pleasantly surprising positive experience and I think I'm going to commit, at this point. Special thanks to those who expressed similar circumstances.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We're rooting for you, OP. Get well soon!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Congrats on taking the first and massive step OP. Glad it's going well so far.

I've been sober for over a year now and I constantly think about how much more manageable my life is when I'm not waking up in a stupor unsure of what happened the previous night. Waking up with mysterious cuts and bruises was something I was too familiar with.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Hardest part was realizing and accepting you needed help. Glad you sought it out dude

OP
OP
UltraMav

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
(I was just kidding in case it wasn't clear), but court ordered or not most inpatient facilities are going to restrict your communications including internet.

Ah, understood. It's an outpatient deal, mostly, here. Just gotta show up three times a week and submit to random drug tests.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To make this step to seek help is an impressive feat. I wish you the very best on your way
and I think we all here would be pleased the hear some updates along the way

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I am at a point where I've taken too many punches and im too old. I have never been with anyone. People can say keep trying but people don't want damaged goods. I just survive for my loved ones.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Can't give you any advice but going to do this yourself is an enormous step and a very brave one. I hope things work out for you OP, best of luck.

OP
OP
UltraMav

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I am at a point where I've taken too many punches and im too old. I have never been with anyone. People can say keep trying but people don't want damaged goods. I just survive for my loved ones.

I would highly suggest looking into a similar facility where you live. The greatest bump I got to my willingness to triumph over this was meeting people who made me realize I wasn't alone.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I tried AA it didn't help. I tried medication it didn't help. When you have been punched too many times and you know you are about to be 35+ without anyone saying they loved you how can you continue.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I am really not ugly. I have had friends introduce me to women and it didn't work out. I have been a lurker in neogaf and this forum for years and understood and reflected and realized. Is it because im in Arkansas do I need to move to a urban city?

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
So I had a come to Jesus moment the other night when I got so shitfaced I fell and hit my head. Woke up and saw blood on my pillow and had scabs on my head. Hurt like hell, didn't remember it happening at all. I still don't know where or when it happened.

Anyways, after being cleared of major head trauma at the ER. I called up this fancy private recovery center.

Haven't committed to anything yet, but everyone has been so nice and they were even like "if you can't pay your bill we will never send you to collections."

Met a young kid with drug addiction and he's just beaming about being about to graduate next week and how awesome this place is. Feels almost like a sales plant, but I'm enjoying the positivity.

No real point to this thread, I suppose,just wanted to share while I wait for group therapy to begin (they offered to let me sit in for a bit to see how it works).

If anyone else is or has been in recovery, I would like to hear any experiences you have to share about the process.
I am sorry OP I should have commented I am going through the same thing. Your plight spoke to me. I am trying medication. I was punched in the face probably leaving a permanent scar. I am lucky enough I could afford to attend a place such as you but without experiencing love its not enough.

OP
OP
UltraMav

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I am really not ugly. I have had friends introduce me to women and it didn't work out. I have been a lurker in neogaf and this forum for years and understood and reflected and realized. Is it because im in Arkansas do I need to move to a urban city?

We're about the same age and this inability to find validation through a significant other is a major contributor to my emotional pain and my chemical dependence. What I've begun to realize is that my drug abuse has only contributed to my loneliness, and was exacerbated by the pandemic and the inability to hook up with other alcoholics. I don't have all the answers and I'm just barely starting to get help but I can for sure tell you that you're not alone, and I encourage you to continue to seek assistance.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I would highly suggest looking into a similar facility where you live. The greatest bump I got to my willingness to triumph over this was meeting people who made me realize I wasn't alone.
I might be in denial but I have been told I have qualities that don't make sense that I am alone have you experienced that?

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
We're about the same age and this inability to find validation through a significant other is a major contributor to my emotional pain and my chemical dependence. What I've begun to realize is that my drug abuse has only contributed to my loneliness, and was exacerbated by the pandemic and the inability to hook up with other alcoholics. I don't have all the answers and I'm just barely starting to get help but I can for sure tell you that you're not alone, and I encourage you to continue to seek assistance.
Its rude to ask someone that just started help. I appreciate you reaching out and talking with me. I have been told im attractive but I can't find anyone. I always though it was because im 35+ and nerdy but I think its my social skills. I am also starting to think its because I bring dates to bars do you have a similar experience?

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Absolutely. As someone who has felt similarly, are you looking for female companionship?
[/QUOTe
Women speak to me. I understand and want to be around them. There was a period I thought I felt differently but it was just because I was taught to ignore emotions. I enjoy women companionship.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I want other lonely men to realize women don't owe you anything and they aren't the cause of your problems. Society trained you to just accept things. Be yourself whatever your upbringing you have to work hard. Women do too. Be yourself even if the world beats you down. Make it a better place yea life might be worse but Im sure you will feel less alone.